Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The MMFA's Mod Series

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: The MMFA's Mod Series

Ok, hey wulfgar you could put yours here.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by wulfgar610 View Post
    No, you can delete the map.rwn to the cows come home, just like with the newer games in the apps data a new set up is generated when you start the game. However if you leave it there it conflicts with your changes and is a cause of crashes.

Also if you're really worried, simply make another copy of RTW and keep it as your master.

Click on RTW in "windows explorer" (the internal one you use in documents), on the left side "copy this folder" to a new folder. Then if you screw up a file, simply replace it with one from the master.

I shouldn't have given the Brits independence, they now land cross channel in force! They are conspiring with the Celts, I know it!
    lololol. But ok, I see what your getting at now.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Ok, hey wulfgar you could put yours here.
    Well the finances are bad for WRE. I'm left wondering if BI overdoes it on the bad money front.

Even if you do build up the treasury you face problems. In the BI exe. the story goes if you have more than 13,000 cash your name characters start turning into a dissolute crowd. This limit is higher in the RTW exe. at 50,000 cash.

The historical economic comparisons are interesting.

By the end of Marcian's reign, the annual revenue for the Eastern empire was 7,800,000 solidi,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_economy

So by the mid 5th century the Eastern Empire had economically recovered to were it was pre-crisis.

They say the infantry cost 30s per man on average.

Let's say Eastern Empire 120,000 infantry x 30s = 3,600,000s

Cavalry they say cost double the infantry. 30,000 cavalry x 60s = 1,800,000s

Giving a total of 5,400,000 pa for the military.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

True. Africa alone in the WRE generated over 300000 Solidi.

True. Africa alone in the WRE generated over 300000 Solidi.
    Not much, that only covers 10,000 infantry.

The 30s average covers different pay ranks and overall costs and training. Plus the generous amount received at the end of service. Soldiers of longer sevice could recieve additional pay and rations.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

True, I would love to have lived back then and served in the army - most soldiers lived longer than civilians (not counting the ones who died of course)

Based on the law of 445, the revenue of N. Africa was reduced by 7/8 for mauretania and Numdia.
    This is ~106,200 solidi, or about 17,700 comitatenses/10114.285 comitatensian cavalry.

I've estimated the total revenue lost from N. Africa including vandal-controlled Byzacena and Proconsularis at approximately 227,570.625 solidi, or about 37928.4375 comitatenses/21673.39286 comitatensian cavalry.
    That was a quote from my MMFA's thread earlier, and that was using a figure of 6 solidi per month and 10.5 solidi per month. (It also is on par with peter heather's estimates, using the same figures)

If we put the figures at 30 and 60 solidi per month, well, let's see...

7585.6875 infantry or 3792.84375 cavalry. Per annum... That generated a revenue of over 2730847.5 solidi, or 91028.25 infantry or 45514.125 Cavalry

Even when Balancing the 2 that would wipe out the entire Western field army.
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; July 21, 2011 at 07:34 AM.

If we put the figures at 30 and 60 solidi per month, well, let's see...
    No not per month, per annum.

Constantines solidi was useful because unlike other coins it remained at its 4.5 gram weight. Maybe it had something to do with the 24 carob seeds. Constantine had the silver coin set at 3 grams and 24 of these to the gold solidi as well.

But the common soldier seldom saw silver and even less gold. Most of the money was a token coin of bronze or brass with a silver wash that didn't have the intrinsic value. However the Solidi became the standard mark for pricing things.

Early in the Empire the retiring soldier after 25 years service or whatever received 3000 denari or it equivalent worth of land or something like that. 3000 Augustan denari would be worth about 170 gold solidi.

Let's say the 5th century WRE army had 20,000 cavalry and 80,000 infantry. That works out at 3,600,000 solidi per annum.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Which means the WRE would be devestated by that kind of loss. If we divide 2730847.5 by 30 or 60 we get the same figures (this is per annum). So if they balanced the two that would be a loss of 50000 infantry and 20000 cavalry. I'd imagine the west probably had about 70000 infantry and 20000 cavalry total. I'll look at the ND listings and get a better figure though.

Which means the WRE would be devestated by that kind of loss. If we divide 2730847.5 by 30 or 60 we get the same figures (this is per annum). So if they balanced the two that would be a loss of 50000 infantry and 20000 cavalry. I'd imagine the west probably had about 70000 infantry and 20000 cavalry total. I'll look at the ND listings and get a better figure though.
    In it's heyday before the split, the Western half might have produced a revenue of 7.5 million solidi or more. But with the decline of silver production and the loss and devastation of territory the revenue would have been much lower.

Typically 2/3rds of the expenditure went on the army, with the other third covering the bureaucracy and others.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

YEs, It's also obvious that Aetius defended Arles and that area not only because of the intrests of the Gallic Landowning Class but also because of the silver deposits in that area. Another reason why the visigoths constantly attacked.

Well silver will always be produced as the by product of other mining and industrial refining. The thing with the Hispanic mines is the introduction of new technology meant the silver could be produced with relatively low input. Less lucrative is something that costs as much to produce as it is worth, that is simply break even.

Gratianus has got his archer bodyguard back? He needs a general unit placed in there somewhere.

character Gratianus Flavius, named character, age 25, , x 96, y 97
    traits LoyaltyStarter 1 , Christian 1, GoodCommander 4 , BlackBileHumour 3 , Disciplinarian 3 , Coward 3 , LaxPersonalSecurity 2 , FearsBarbarian 3
    ancillaries office_magister_memoriae_west, evil_mother-in-law
    army
    unit western archer exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit limitanei exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    Inguiomerus is standing on a non-mobile tile, he might need to be moved one peck to the west.

faction burgundii, religious stalin
    denari 10000
    character Odovacar, named character, leader, age 44, , x 84, y 102
    traits FactionLeader 1, Warlord 2 , GoodTaxman 2 , GoodAdministrator 3 , HatesNomad 1 , Pagan 1
    army
    unit chosen warlord alemanni exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit spear warband alemanni exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit spear warband alemanni exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit burgundian lancer exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

character Inguiomerus, named character, heir, age 24, , x 86, y 103
    traits FactionHeir 1 , Pagan 1
    army
    unit chosen warlord alemanni exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    Vandals aren't in much of a position, the WRE player can easily defend Carthage and wipe the Vandals out completely by only defending the central square alone.

The Vandals need one or two cities of their own in North Africa, but the original BI game map is rather spartan there. It might be useful to transfer to the IB game map.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I will try that, yes, and I will remember to change the bodyguard units I have to do that to a few generals actually. The Ironic thing is that In ORG. BI Graanus has an archer bodyguard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12