Page 8 of 231 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358108 ... LastLast

Thread: Modding the Ptolemies, Armenians, Legions, Greeks, Seleucids etc ...

Gaius Livius

Hi
    My early legionary cohort still has the flat shield. How do i change it into a round one like on the picture??

greetings

This mod is great!!!

Originally posted by Gaius Livius@Jan 12 2005, 02:17 PM
    Hi
    My early legionary cohort still has the flat shield. How do i change it into a round one like on the picture??

greetings

This mod is great!!!
    Do you have the flat oval shield?

I'd suggest you keep those or use the early first cohort models and textures. The current curved shield models don't look too good with the ovalshield texture. I think I have a better handling now of this gloss files so I can add them.
    *OD*
    I'll work on a Ceasarean style legionary at some point so it's better to wait for that to get the right kind of Ceasarean oval shield. Yeah, and the Auxilliary revamp.

Many thanks to GODzilla with the new packs. :

Gaius Livius

Hi ferres
    Yes I ve got the flat oval shield, trusting your excellent work I will wait till the caesarean legionary is finished!

Greetings

Originally posted by ferres@Jan 12 2005, 09:01 PM
    I'll work on a Ceasarean style legionary at some point so it's better to wait for that to get the right kind of Ceasarean oval shield. Yeah, and the Auxilliary revamp.
    Really??? Cool!!!!!! When will they be ready?

What do you mean with Auxiliary revamp. Archers and infantery?

Gotta say ferres these are absoloutely amazing! :

But, I'm having problems with three units the auxillia, legionary cav and praetorian cav.

With the two cavalry units I'm getting a black rectangle outside each shield and with the auxillia...well if the attachment works you'll see

Everything else works perfectly, it's just these three units, have any ideas why?
    I've got half a mind to kill you...and the other half agrees.
    - Church (Red vs Blue)

GODzilla's Avatar Civitate

Originally posted by Dux of Earl+Jan 12 2005, 04:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td> (Dux of Earl @ Jan 12 2005, 04:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GODzilla@Jan 12 2005, 07:35 AM

Ok, first: I really changed the textures of the praetorian and urban cohort, imho it&#39;s better this way. The black urban has got the belt, the praetorians not. Black is beatifull *gg*.

Salve GODzilla,

As a variation, for those who prefer a Balteus & Cingulum with all Legionary, Praetorian & Urban units... could you please give the Balteus & Cingulum back to the Praetorian Cohort and post the texture file?... thanks

Also, could you please correct the gloss texture files to remove the Early Legionary Scuta?.. so that the black gloss edge lines will go away... thanks

Vale, Dux of Earl [/b][/quote]
    FERRES is the modder, I only write readme :

@all: Yes, I used existing gloss (mentioned in the readme and in this topic), but I could not foresee these problems with the black marks. It seems to me that gloss causes these glitches on some systems generally. Maybe not for normal unmodded units, as these gloss file are fit to the normal texture (so you don&#39;t see the glitch), but with moddified textures.

Anyway, I&#39;m sorry that I got no ability to really modify textures (gloss textures) or even make new ones. Maybe someone else could do that .
    GODzilla(TM)
    son of the family of Wilpuri under the patronage of makanyane

ajimenez3's Avatar Ducenarius

What will happen if you just leave the gloss file out?

Semper Fi
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them.
    John Bernard Books

Proud Member of the TWC Plebians/Peasants

I&#39;ve taken out the gloss files, and the same things happen, so I don&#39;t think that&#39;s what&#39;s causing my problem (Unless I&#39;ve taken them out wrongly)

Ferres, you said something about using the files you posted before the packs, are they the same as the ones in the pack, or are they different somehow ??
    I've got half a mind to kill you...and the other half agrees.
    - Church (Red vs Blue)

Originally posted by ODST@Jan 12 2005, 04:32 PM
    Gotta say ferres these are absoloutely amazing&#33; :

But, I&#39;m having problems with three units the auxillia, legionary cav and praetorian cav.

With the two cavalry units I&#39;m getting a black rectangle outside each shield and with the auxillia...well if the attachment works you&#39;ll see

Everything else works perfectly, it&#39;s just these three units, have any ideas why?
    Looks like your not using the right texture for the right units. Note that all the textures of these units were replaced. Check the &#39;read me&#39; files to see which texture corresponds to the right unit.

Based on the screen you posted, you were still using the old auxillia textures.

Nearly all previous textures for the post marian roman units will look funky with the new models.

You can leave the gloss files out if you like. It shouldn&#39;t cause too much trouble.

Btw, testing the alternative Ceasarian Legionaries with bigger shields based on the pics I&#39;ve seen. Helm adjusted to be closer to the coolus type.

ajimenez3's Avatar Ducenarius

Very good looking. Keep up the great work.

Semper Fi
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them.
    John Bernard Books

Proud Member of the TWC Plebians/Peasants

Another view of the Ceasarian Legionaries.

Not sure if I should add the hastati plume. *viking*

Salve ferres,

Excellent clipped Celtic scutum.. looks much better than the dished oval... reminds me of a story..

I read somewhere that Gaius Marius had all his Legionaries cut off the top and bottom of their long Celtic scuta so they could march better with it strapped to their backs.. i.e. it weighed less and the shorter length meant it didn&#39;t knock against the backs of their legs so much (very aggravating)... so they could march faster&#33;.. leave it to Marius... well, it could be true...

Anyways, I hope to see this new scutum on my local battlefield real soon...

About the Crista (or horsehair plume).. it would look ok with the Montefortino cassis.. but, with the Imperial Gallic cassis, I&#39;m not so sure.. it would be great if a different, older cassis style could be used for the early Legionaries (Montefortino, Coolus, Early Gallic).. but, I imagine Agrippa&#39;s cas is not setup for that..

Vale, Dux of Earl

Cool, just need a feedback on the plume and I could have this version ready.

Then again, the plume will of course protrude during testudo maneuver.

I am modifying the helm to be closer to the Coolus or early Gallic type, notice the shorter, high neck guard at the back of the helm. Perhaps with a simplified less decorative skin, it will be more obvious.

If you plan on moving into the pre-marian romans, I&#39;d love to see some Principe or Triarii with crests and feathers on their helmets, like so: http://www.virtualtoychest.com/172miniatures/hat8c.jpg

It would also be nice to see some Roman standard bearers with flags and more elaborate standards.

The thing about the pre-marians is that you only get them for a short time. As soon as you build an imperial palace, their gone.

There are some guys who are working on really good standards, perhaps you could try those. I&#39;m not too inclined on messing with these units for now.

Originally posted by ferres@Jan 12 2005, 11:31 PM

Then again, the plume will of course protrude during testudo maneuver.

I am modifying the helm to be closer to the Coolus or early Gallic type, notice the shorter, high neck guard at the back of the helm. Perhaps with a simplified less decorative skin, it will be more obvious.
    Salve ferres,

Yeah, you&#39;re right about the Testudo.. it&#39;s already messed up enough, no sense breaking it further..

Good job on the helm.. the closer to a Coolus or early Gallic, the better..

Vale, Dux of Earl

Btw, what of the &#39;brow&#39; decor on the cassis?

Salve ferres,

If there is any brow decoration on the front of the cassis, it should be very &#39;primitive&#39; or &#39;simplified&#39;.. not quite as elaborate... or as big... as the Imperial brow decorations.. much like the brow decoration on the Republican cassis..

The same goees for that horizontal brow gaurd thingie.. it&#39;s there, just not quite as elaborate.. just very basic.. check some of the other threads nearby, there are some good reference pictures...

Here&#39;s one: Marian Legionary Reference Pictures

Vale, Dux of Earl

Hi Ferres, I love your work. You, Webbird and Agrippa have truly made the romans into the fearsome professional warmachine they truly were. Shieldart, colors, Agrippa&#39;s fantastic models (+ Your remodelling of some of the equipment, longer swords helmets etc) are awesome. Just can&#39;t find a word that explains how beautiful they are. The shieldart for the Scipii for example, magnificent, highly orignal, beautiful. The feathers on the sideslots of the helmets was also a great touch, but perhaps would have fitted better on the Praetorians or Urban Cohorts than on a cavalry unit. I found a few things that I did&#39;nt really fancy though. For example the auxilliary spearmen. I would prefer seeing these guys with the oval shields, shorter spears, and perhaps using same helmets as your Auxilliary archers, but colored in bronze, not the silver/steel color they have now, and without the steel greaves. Also the early legionaries would look better without the oval shields, although on some roman graves legionaries has been depicted with oval shields, it was&#39;nt common. The romans were a picky perhaps more than alittle snobby bunch of people. Auxilliaries were as everyone knows sometimes equipped with stuff that legionaries probably would toss in the trashbin. Even the auxilliary signifiers and cornicens had the snouts on their bear/wolf skin removed to show their inferior status. Pretty mean thing to do as the auxilliaries served longer and often were just as tough as the legionaries.

Secondly, the feminalia, or pants they wear. I see you have changed the length abit, but not on all units. I simply can&#39;t stand the condom-bicycle sports pants that the vanilla units are wearing, I wish they were longer really, like on Agrippa&#39;s latest skins, or removed completely. I mean, a campaign during winter in the forests of Gaul isnt exactly same thing as Tour de France if you know what I mean. Anyway since I&#39;m no artist and my photshop skills are not sufficient to draw anything more complicated than stickpeople, all I can do is point this out, and hope for some kind soul to change them. I guess it&#39;s just a matter of taste anyway, perhaps most like it as it is. Is not meant as critisisim in any way.

Your Caesarian romans looks pretty good, although as of now perhaps they look a bit more like the legionaries of the Augustan era. I got quite alot of pictures of legionaries covering 100 BC till 300 BC, if you need any and don&#39;t feel like browsing 100 sites or this forum I&#39;d be glad to send them to you, just pm me if the need arise. I think you should go for horsehair plumes on Caesar&#39;s legionaries, but only if the plume is lengthened quite abit and perhaps remodelled also, the vanillaplume is ugly I think. The color on the plume should also be black for all factions, it is more discreet and more menacing, most pictures I seen shows Caesars legionaries with black plumes (Not that this means its 100% historical, but it sure looks good). Also unless you are going to add Testudo formation to the pre Marian legionaries you don&#39;t have to worry about plumes sticking through the shields as they don&#39;t have this formation.

Now, enough of my rambling, I thank you Ferres, Webbird, Agrippa and all other modders out there for your hard work, Respect guys for all the hours you put into this, for free even, so that the rest of us 10 thumbs non-artistic hounds can enjoy your work, and to make RtW so incredibly much better.

Best regards
    Alpha

Ps. Has have you any plans on remodelling the Centurions, Signifiers, Generals and lesser generals? Especially the Centurions would look less out of place with Agrippa&#39;s helmets, I think this also goes for the Medium Cavalry, as they also still wear vanilla helmets.