Thread: How to add a custom title for family members

Default How to add a custom title for family members

How to add a custom title for family members

To better understand what i mean with the word "title", i will explain it with an example. When you play the Teutonic campaign from the Kingdoms expansion as the teutonic knigths faction, you may have noticed a few things.

The most obvious is that the teutonic knights donīt have a family tree (i will write other day about type of families), but another feature is that their generals have the title "Komtur", instead of "General". Here are two pictures to show what i am talking about.

http://img145.imageshack.us/i/teutonic3.jpg/

In the upper picture Hans is leading an army, notice how under his name he has the title of "Komtur". This is the title displayed for all the teutonic family members, therefore, all the characters of the teutonic order (except faction leader and heir, which have their own title) will display the "Komtur" title.

In the lower picture Hans is inside a town, governing it ( i know this is a bit obvious, but you can also have more than one general and only one of them is the governor). This makes the title "Komtur" be replaced by the "Governor" title (Gobernador in spanish).

Note that this only happens in the settlement tab, Hans will still be listed as "Komtur" in the roster tab (see the next pic). The faction leader and heir also lose their title, and are only called "Governor" while in charge of a settlement.

In this second picture i encircled the "Komtur" the title of generals, and underlined the titles of the faction leader and heir (they are in spanish).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This feature can be used in your mod to give the generals of certain faction a custom title as well, do you like the idea? i will explain in this tutorial how to do it.

First you need to have the game unpacked, and also you need to have al the files inside the "text" folder converted (the txt.strings.bin files) into .txt files. This is necessary, i will not cover in this tutorial how to do that but you can check in the forum to find how to do it.

Once we have that setup, search for the file called "expanded.txt" inside your data/text folder. Check that you have it and make a backup of it. Now search in the same folder for the file "expanded.txt.strings.bin" and delete it. This .bin file needs to be deleted every time you are going to make a change in the .txt version of the file to make the changes apply, it will be generated again by the game each time.

Now take this line of code:

{EMT_NAMED_CHARACTER_TEUTONIC_ORDER}Komtur

and modify it according to your tastes, replace "teutonic_order" with the internal name of the faction you want the title for, and replace "Komtur" with the title you want the game to display for that faction family members.

In this example in am modding the byzantine faction of SS, the internal name of the faction is "BYZANTIUM" and the title i will give the family members is "Strategos".

{EMT_NAMED_CHARACTER_BYZANTIUM}Stratēgos

Once you have the line of code ready, copy it and paste it inside the expanded.txt file. I recommend you paste it with the other similarly named lines of the faction.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

While you are doing this, you can also do a few other changes, these two are completely optional, so if you want nothing else skip these 2 steps. I thought this was also interesting even if it is not totally related to the tutorial, and people may like to know how to change this as well.

1) Letīs give a custom title to the faction leader and faction heir

I didnīt think "Faction leader/Faction heir" sounded very byzantine so i changed them. In the expanded.txt file search for these lines, here in my example you can see the lines for the byzantines, simply replace "BYZANTIUM" with the internal name of the faction you want to change the title. Here is my example:

{EMT_BYZANTIUM_FACTION_HEIR_TITLE}Symbasileus
    {EMT_BYZANTIUM_FACTION_LEADER_TITLE}Basileus

Now the faction leader will be called "Basileus" (emperor) and the faction heir "Symbasileus" (co-emperor), great!

2) Letīs remove the ingame pre-name titles of the faction leader and heir

Since we already gave the faction leader/heir their own titles, we donīt need those titles like "Emperor Alexios" or "Prince Alexios". What i will do here is to remove the emperor/prince part, so the name will be displayed alone. Unfortunately this will not bring back the surname for the faction leader and heir (ex. he will be "Alexios", not "Alexios Komnenos", even if the "emperor" part is removed)

In expanded.txt look for theses lines

{EMT_BYZANTIUM_FACTION_HEIR_NAME}Prince %S
    {EMT_BYZANTIUM_FACTION_LEADER_NAME}Emperor %S

Now remove the prince and emperor part, so it looks like this;

{EMT_BYZANTIUM_FACTION_HEIR_NAME}%S
    {EMT_BYZANTIUM_FACTION_LEADER_NAME}%S

Well done! Now we donīt have any pesky emperors or princes running around!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Now save the changes and close the expanded.txt file. Start up the game (or mod) and you should find the titles working. I feel that i need to explain further how it will displayed, so i will be using my own example to do it. When i start the byzantine game in SS i find this:

In the picture above you can see the roster list, i highligthed the family member called "Nikiphoros", as you can see he is no longer termed "family member" but instead "Strategos", the custom title that we created for this faction. You can also notice the two other custom titles that i created, the "faction leader" is replaced with "Basileus" and the "faction heir" with "Symbasileus".

These are the things you will see when you check your characters, notice a few things. I encircled first the family member with the strategos title, but just above i highlighted a general called Theodosios, which has the title "General". Why is that? Didnīt we remove the General title for this faction? The answer is no, there are two kinds of characters: family members and generals. We changed the title of the family members, but this Theodosios is a general, he is outside the family tree, as such, he gets the default title "General" and as far as i know we canīt do anything about it.

A possible solution to this problem is what CA did in the teutonic campaign, do you remember how all characters in the teutonic campaign had the Komtur title? That was because the teutonic family did not have a family tree! so effectively all their generals were family members as well, and all of them got the title! To sum up, unless you plan to remove the family tree, your characters outside the family tree (generals) wonīt use the custom title you created.

Last but not least, notice as well the custom title of the faction leader and heir under their name, i underlined it in red. They will keep that title as long as they live, but will also change to "governor" when they are governing a settlement. Also notice how i removed the "emperor/prince" words before the name.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this tutorial was useful to you and you enjoy having custom titles for your factions, if you have any problem or questions feel free to ask!

Default Re: How to add a custom title for family members

This is awesome. But do you know how to add a title in front of their name? Like for example so that it says "Lord Vaasco", instead of just Vaasco?

Quote Originally Posted by Halloween Prince View Post
    This is awesome. But do you know how to add a title in front of their name? Like for example so that it says "Lord Vaasco", instead of just Vaasco?
    Sorry i donīt think that is possible, as far as i know all surnames and epithets (like "the great") go after the name. The only words than can go before the name are the titles of the faction leader an heir. In the vanilla game you have for example king X and prince Y, but te rest of characters wonīt be able to have a title before the name.

Glad you liked it.

Bowden's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Halloween Prince View Post
    This would be, as far as I know, only possible for leader and heirs of a faction. It is done by the %S (which is the placekeeper for the first/given name of the character).

Thus wanting to name your heir "Lord Vaasco the Heir" would have you:

{EMT_FACTION_FACTION_HEIR_NAME}Lord %S the Heir

Is any way to appleing this to "Familiy Members" ?