Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ancient Aliens Review

Default Re: Ancient Aliens Review

Have you seen his hair lately? It's getting even taller. Clearly Giorgio is picking up signals we are simply just not in tune with.

Ancient Aliens's Avatar Primicerius

So is this guy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Don King was keeping a few secrets.

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

I saw an episode a night or two ago, it was fantastic. It went like: states some facts, comments reasonably on the facts, makes wild and completly illogical conclusion. I really like the build up to the aliens too, they're like "X,Y, and Z would be really hard for us to build and we can't really explain how they did it. Therefore aliens came down at 10,000BC with magical levitation tools that melt rocks together and built a dozen structures around the world and then never left any other evidence of their existance. 'Main stream archealogists' think thats not what happened, but we do, so it probably did."

Also, is it just me, or is von daniken getting more and more in the belief that this all happened? In the original hour long special he mentioned that this was all his speculation and even pointed out how many question marks were in his book. Now he states everything as obvious fact.
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

I once heard that big foot comes from another dimension, he comes here to feed or something, so in a sense semi-extraterrestrial. I'm surprised they haven't brought this one up. or have they?

If they haven't it's probably in the works. Though they recently did that one about the Sphynx being an Ancient Alien/Lion hybrid.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

I saw an episode of this show last night and was actually going to post a thread about it. As someone said on the first page, it's more like a comedy than anything else.

In the episode I saw last night, they had two doll things. One from ancient Japan (I think) and one from ancient north Africa. The one from Japan had all sorts of designs on it. A normal person or archealogist would look at it and admire the designs. But the Ancient Aliens archealogists looked at the designs and said that they're belt buckles and that this was very similar to a modern astronauts pressurised space suit. Then they got the two dolls, which looked nothing like each other except for their size, and said these look exactly the same so the aliens must have been all over the world.

Then finally, they had an archealogists looking at monuments in north Africa and there was this drawing on one of them. So the Ancient Aliens archealogist looked at it and said that is definetly an alien astronaut. And that's how he said it, he didn't say it looks like an alien or it could be, he said it definetly is.

I mean, if the whole idea of the show is to annoy people by spouting crap as if it's fact like a blind idiot, why not just go; "here's two rocks, both these rocks are grey therefore there is intelligent life on Mars"

I guarentee it would be a lot cheaper. At the moment, I can't see why anyone would watch this show unless they were incredible naive or just looking for a laugh

It was a bad one last night, these seem to be hit or miss. The problem is they are clearly about making a living and their marketing strategy is terribly flawed by come out providing a literal explanation for everything that's ever occurred in history worth mentioning as somehow in some way attributed to Aliens.

Anyone with a Total War level of knowledge on history can easily give a better description and understanding of several events or subjects they've brought up. I suppose it fools the ignorant, but I can't see how wild speculation helps legitimize any of it. But people with little understanding of history buy right into it all.

Rebelyell's Avatar Biarchus

I'm not necessarily a skeptic about the possibility of some alien intervention (partially because I want to believe it) but some of the conclusions reached in episodes are just ridiculous (Egyptian pyramids being refueling stations and Mayans flying fighter jets for example). But......there is something about the show that draws you in and doesn't let you leave.
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."
    -T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
    But......there is something about the show that draws you in and doesn't let you leave.
    It's Tsoukalos. The man ing draws you in with his horribly structed sentences, his hairdo, his spray tan, and his awkward mannerisms.

Pakal's tomb is one of the most fascinating and probably best pieces of "supposed" evidence" there is for the ancient aliens theory in my opinion. I've looked at it many times trying to imagine if there could be some sort of rational explanation, but I can't really think of any other than that maybe this was one of the first representations of science fiction so to speak, did they dream of going to the stars themselves? You bet, did they ponder how they would do it? Quite likely, did they have any more inclination of how they might attempt it?

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

I love when he states that ''the only way the ancient astronaut theory can be disproven is when the extraterrestrials show up and say we were never here in the past''.

It's like decades of epistemological constructions on Empirical Falsification and the corroboration of theories themselves went down the toilet on less than 2 seconds. Just priceless

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

The thing is people buy this up, the rest of us visit TWC.

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    The thing is people buy this up, the rest of us visit TWC.
    I don't know man, some people eat this up right here on the good old TWC. Remember Pharoah? Actually, I think he started this very thread on a serious note.

What I meant was, I come to TWC for enlightenment.

Ok I'm going to warn anyone who hasn't yet seen the series, don't watch tonight's episode unless you're drunk or high and in need of pure comedy.

basically all you need to know is that basically anything and everything was given to us by extraterrestrials, we don't know why all we know is it's highly likely, and I'm sure the next show will ultimately lead into how the industrial revolution was kicked off by aliens and so on and so forth because it takes people we've never seen or heard of to create things for us.
    Last edited by Armatus; September 22, 2011 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    Ok I'm going to warn anyone who hasn't yet seen the series, don't watch tonight's episode unless you're drunk or high and in need of pure comedy.

basically all you need to know is that basically anything and everything was given to us by extraterrestrials, we don't know why all we know is it's highly likely, and I'm sure the next show will ultimately lead into how the industrial revolution was kicked off by aliens and so on and so forth because it takes people we've never seen or heard of to create things for us.
    Actually, the next episode is going to deal with how atlatls were granted to us by Ancient Aliens. I mean, how else could we create something as sophisticated as this:

Menelik_I's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Republic of Angola, Permitte divis cetera.

Well that dude with the hair does make great material for Photoshop

Tonight I will watch season 3 episode one ... kind of bored, lonely and wore down, it is stupid aliens show for the night then it seems

ETA:

WTF they ripe off Cowboys and Aliens ... lol
    Last edited by Menelik_I; September 24, 2011 at 01:41 PM.
    « Le courage est toujours quelque chose de saint, un jugement divin entre deux idées. Défendre notre cause de plus en plus vigoureusement est conforme à la nature humaine. Notre suprême raison d’être est donc de lutter ; on ne possède vraiment que ce qu’on acquiert en combattant. »Ernst Jünger
    La Guerre notre Mère (Der Kampf als inneres Erlebnis), 1922, trad. Jean Dahel, éditions Albin Michel, 1934

Quote Originally Posted by Menelik_I View Post
    WTF they ripe off Cowboys and Aliens ... lol
    Yeah all History Channel specials rip off Hollywood movies when a movie that is semi-relevent to History and/or ghosts, aliens, or truckers comes out. I recently saw one of their "specials" about 10,000 BC and it was pretty much just a narrator repeating the words "10,000 BC" and flashing clips from the movie 10,000 BC for about 30 minutes.