Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Revised Empire WIP - HELP NEEDED!

Blind88's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Revised Empire WIP

Kahvipannu:
    Yes, I'm planning it, but I haven't looked into how that works. I guess it's not too difficult, but again: I've just got into modding, so It will take time to make bigger changes. Ancillary system is very simple i must say, so adding more and reworking the existing is the first step. Traits are a bit more tricky as I see, because there are tons of them and the files that need to be reworked are... well, let's say they are really chaotic so I need to dublecheck every little change. It's not hard but takes concetration and a lot of time to find everything. So faction-wide effects are almost 100% sure to be added, but I don't know when scripting is too complex for me right now, but i hope I'll learn some basics, because i have some ideas that I'd really like to add.
    Anyway, I hope I'll start the work with the traits soon, so if anybody have ANY ideas... I'm more than willing to add any cool stuff (if I can, of course)

Default Re: Revised Empire WIP - HELP NEEDED!

First post updated with ancillary prewiev

and

HELP NEEDED:
    I'm plannig to add new portraits, but I simply can't find enough artwork for it in the same style. So, the only one solution that I can think of, is using portraits from Mark of Chaos. But I don't have the game, so I have to ask for help.
    So if anyone have Mark Of Chaos, and wish to help this project, to make good, fitting portraits, here's what I need:
    Use the Unit Customization option; that's it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MOC-Editor.png
    1: Make as many combination of faces, helmets, bodies, and shields as possible, also play with the colours.
    2: take screenshot of every one (with FRAPS, it's really easy, you only need to use one hotkey!)
    3: upload or send them to me
    Then I'll edit and implement them into game, so Empire factions will have portraits, with fitting and same style, with same background!
    So if you want the Empire portraits reworked, please help!

Ekaddon's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Blind88 View Post
    First post updated with ancillary prewiev

and

HELP NEEDED:
    I'm plannig to add new portraits, but I simply can't find enough artwork for it in the same style.
    Have you seen Warhammer - Invasion, the card game? There are plenty of pictures and possibly even ideas for new traits/ancillaries.

And may I make a reguest? Atleast until I learn to do this myself... Make the runefangs of Elector counts faction specific, they each have a name, such as Runefang of Averland, "Mothers Ruin". And even the runefang of Solland exists and is carried by Kurt Helborg. The Runefang of Drakwald, another lost part of the Empire, could be a special award to any Empire faction/Hero.

And maybe the main families could get a trait similar to "Human", but instead he would be a "Merogen", "Brigundian" or "Thuringian". As in one of the 12 tribes of the Sigmarite "Empire".
    Last edited by Ekaddon; July 12, 2011 at 08:57 AM.

THIS^

Quote Originally Posted by Ekaddon View Post
    Have you seen Warhammer - Invasion, the card game? There are plenty of pictures and possibly even ideas for new traits/ancillaries.

And may I make a reguest? Atleast until I learn to do this myself... Make the runefangs of Elector counts faction specific, they each have a name, such as Runefang of Averland, "Mothers Ruin". And even the runefang of Solland exists and is carried by Kurt Helborg. The Runefang of Drakwald, another lost part of the Empire, could be a special award to any Empire faction/Hero.

And maybe the main families could get a trait similar to "Human", but instead he would be a "Merogen", "Brigundian" or "Thuringian". As in one of the 12 tribes of the Sigmarite "Empire".
    Well, I saw some of those pictures, and they are really great, but the problem is that I can only find a few on the net...
    The Runefang-idea is good, I was also thinking on adding the Drakwald-runefang. The problem with naming the swords is really simple: it needs a lot of work to rework the existing runefang-system, but mostly: creating the new ancillaries. I don't think they would have different effects, and addin them just for the feelink, needs a lot of information to make sense: I would need the names of every sword, and a longer description for them, if it's available at all... by the way, I may make this, because it's still a good idea, thank you!
    About the tribe-names... interesting idea, but I doub't I'll add it. I tell you why first, I don't think they would make significant effect (but maybe adding bonuses like leading cavalry, or infantry, etc may make sense, but still: I need a full description of all the tribes). second: to add them, I would need full biography and genetic info about the characters... for exapmle, does anyone know, from what tribe does the count of Averland came from? and the other generals? well, it's difficult to make this right I think.
    that's why I decided to add the 'Man of XYprovince'... there's a chance that a character becomes really proud of his homeland, and this give him a loyalty bonus. I don't dare to go further with this kind of traits, because I fear I get lost
    Good ideas anyway, thank you! And you have anything else in your mind, don't hesitate! there are no stupid ideas, only things I can't do!

Ekaddon's Avatar Tiro

Well yes the X Province does make more sense. But I would imagine that the current Elector Counts are each native to their land unless otherwise stated in the lore.

The Runefangs were crafted for each chieftain who fought with Sigmar in the Blackfire pass. Thus if no lore for each one can be found (i will look into this) then you could use a short description of why they were made. What I will also need is the lore that tells who named them (Alarik the Mad or Sigmar..?)

Is there a good quide on making Ancillaries and traits? I have access to plenty of books both from GW and BL and will try to use them. It is sad that I have to ask other people to do things for me.

THIS^

Well yes the X Province does make more sense. But I would imagine that the current Elector Counts are each native to their land unless otherwise stated in the lore.

The Runefangs were crafted for each chieftain who fought with Sigmar in the Blackfire pass. Thus if no lore for each one can be found (i will look into this) then you could use a short description of why they were made. What I will also need is the lore that tells who named them (Alarik the Mad or Sigmar..?)

Is there a good quide on making Ancillaries and traits? I have access to plenty of books both from GW and BL and will try to use them. It is sad that I have to ask other people to do things for me.
    Well, if you can provide me enough info, I'll gladly try to make these things.
    I use these tutorials, they are really good I think:
    traits:
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...-coding-Traits
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...s-amp-Monitors

ancillaries:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203889

These things are really easy to do, it took me not an entire day to get familiar with it, and make working traits and ancs... you only need to doublecheck everything, and watch out for typhos... and if you made a mistake, the trait-verifier, or the system log will tell you what you've done wrong... so it worth a try.
    If you like to try it, and maybe provide help with this project, don't hesitate to tell

Ekaddon's Avatar Tiro

Ok so my first problem, what exactly do I need to unpack to make ancillaries for CoW? The Teutonic campaign?

And for the Runefangs. Would it not be enough with something like this:

The Runefang of Drakwald is one of the twelve magic blades forged by the dwarf Runesmith Alarik the Mad. The blade was first presented to King Otwin of the Thuringians for following Sigmar in the Battle of Blackfire Pass and has since earned the name "Beast Slayer" in the countless wars against the Beastmen tribes.

I do not know how to include that it was carried by the Elector counts of Drakwald or that Drakwald was overrun.

These are just ideas I throw around.. And I would absolutely love to make the Talabecland faction more intresting since there is a lot of info on them.
    For example I just learned that there is a "Taalbaston Guard" that guard the crater around Talabheim.. Would make a very cool unit.
    Last edited by Ekaddon; July 14, 2011 at 11:51 AM.

THIS^

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Ok so my first problem, what exactly do I need to unpack to make ancillaries for CoW? The Teutonic campaign?

And for the Runefangs. Would it not be enough with something like this:

The Runefang of Drakwald is one of the twelve magic blades forged by the dwarf Runesmith Alarik the Mad. The blade was first presented to King Otwin of the Thuringians for following Sigmar in the Battle of Blackfire Pass and has since earned the name "Beast Slayer" in the countless wars against the Beastmen tribes.

I do not know how to include that it was carried by the Elector counts of Drakwald or that Drakwald was overrun.
    No need to unpack anything, this applies only to vanilla M2 campaigns. Just edit right text files (Call of warhammer folder), and add pictures.

This is good stuff guys

Ekaddon's Avatar Tiro

So this is my first attempt at an ancillary. I think it would be very nice to have the Runefangs for each faction, and as they are badges of "office" or "honour" they could be given to the heir after becoming leader?

This is what I managed to do, not much but a beginning. The picture is from Warhammer - Invasion and is the Solland sword. But you get the idea.

THIS^

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Cool stuff! I really dont care if the sword picture is a runefang or not.

Kahvipannu: Thanks!
    paradamed: Thank to you, too! Yeah, I think too, that it's not the most important thing. Just a simple, matching good picture will do...

Also, I've finished adding more than 70 ancillaries, I think there are about 20 more to go, and reworking the existing (making some of them unique as it should be, decreasing the bonuses, lowering the chances, etc...). Then I'll start reworking the traits (I've also finished with 40 new traits... I don't know yet how many more will I add).
    "Kiss me while I'm still alive,
    Kill me while I kiss the sky "

Updated first post with a few screenshots.
    Also: can someone upload the following files, please, I made a very dumb mistake and my backup files are gone (unmodified, 1.4 files)
    export_descr_ancillaries.txt
    export_descr_character_traits.txt
    export_ancillaries.txt
    export_vnvs.txt

One more thing:
    if you have any ideas for units, tell me please... but again: I won't (can't) make new models, I only plan to use existing ones, and retexture. I'm mostly looking for units that can be recruited in one or few cities, and mercenaries... so, few ideas to get the idea:
    Nuln handgunners (Black uniform, recruitable in Nuln, better stats than standard handgunners)
    Free foresters (two handed axes, recruitable in Stirland, if I remember them well)
    Mercenary ungols
    Some standard mercenary tilean/estalian units... crossbows and pikes/spears mostly...
    Bretonnian robber-knights, or something similar (lowered morale, lowered stats, but still good heavy cavalry, with high upkeep)
    Maybe some Border Princes mercs, based on the free company units?
    I was thinking of adding 'Outriders' (based on pistoliers) and some kind of very very basic Flagellants (based on vanilla Fanatics maybe...) but I think I'm not good enough for those (yet).

I hope you get the idea

Another thing:
    Unique buildings... I don't know when and how will they be added, but planned...
    It would be nice to add at least one for each faction. So I need ideas for buildings like the Ten Tailed Cat, or the Imperial Gunnery School.

And one more (last, I promise) thing:
    So noone's willing to help with portraits with Mark Of Chaos? I need to think of something else

So, let the ideas (and the beer) flow!

Ekaddon's Avatar Tiro

if you have any ideas for units, tell me please... but again: I won't (can't) make new models, I only plan to use existing ones, and retexture. I'm mostly looking for units that can be recruited in one or few cities
    Taalbaston guard for Talabecland. They guard the crater where the city lies. Essentially the single most important unit for Talabecland.

I have long wanted to see them but cant do anything myself..

THIS^

Some sort of unit for Middenheim like swordsmen but equipped with hammers and shields? May not be possible without modelling though.

Hey Blind88 i own the game,do you still need portraits?

Quote Originally Posted by SDood View Post
    Hey Blind88 i own the game,do you still need portraits?
    Of course! If you can help, it would be great!

About the unit ideas: Taalbaston Guard seems to be a good one! any info about them? weapons/colours etc...
    The middenheim one... I did not really looked into the possibilities, so I don't know if it can be done... and altough the idea seems good, I try to stay close to the lore... but if you have any info on such an unit...
    Again, thanks everybody. Work is a bit slow at the moment, but I'll try to do my best.

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

About the unit ideas: Taalbaston Guard seems to be a good one! any info about them? weapons/colours etc...
    I believe reading somewhere that they use twin-tailed comet as "icon", like shields etc.. Can't say anything else tought..

can someone upload the following files, please, I made a very dumb mistake and my backup files are gone (unmodified, 1.4 files)
    export_descr_ancillaries.txt
    export_descr_character_traits.txt
    export_ancillaries.txt
    export_vnvs.txt
    Not sure if you still need these, but here:

Ekaddon's Avatar Tiro

Of course! If you can help, it would be great!

I suppose thay are something like warrior priests, in the colours of Talabecland. Maybe give them a halberd, similar to Ostlands/Averlands units, to give them a "guard" feel.

Something else that could be used would be state militia (similar to "free" companies) but statefunded, ie. with state uniforms and light armor/weaponry.

And a mercenary GIANT is a must have! Some very rare heavy support for Orcs/possibly humans.

And while again just making ridiculous reguests.. Any info on a good quide for doing this stuff? Ie. shields, banners, troop colors?

THIS^

I suppose thay are something like warrior priests, in the colours of Talabecland. Maybe give them a halberd, similar to Ostlands/Averlands units, to give them a "guard" feel.

Something else that could be used would be state militia (similar to "free" companies) but statefunded, ie. with state uniforms and light armor/weaponry.

And a mercenary GIANT is a must have! Some very rare heavy support for Orcs/possibly humans.

And while again just making ridiculous reguests.. Any info on a good quide for doing this stuff? Ie. shields, banners, troop colors?
    well, the only info I found about the Taalbaston Guard is that they wear their state's colour, use halberds, and wear the twin-tailed comet on their uniform... so it seems easy to make them based on standard halberdiers... I guess I'll give it a try in the near future.
    Yeah, I thought about the state militia, and I don't really know... it can be done, using various existing models, but why? I mean that they would be very close to useless... Honestly, I don't even use Spearmen and Free company, cause they are very weak. Making a weaker unit seems to be pointless (to me).
    I'm sure that the team will add giants again, if they manage to solve the problems connected with them... but if the COW team have problems with them, how a green modder can add them? seriously that's beyond my skills.
    Request are not ridiculous, brainstorming is a useful thing. as long as people know that I'm not so skilled and alone, so there are many, many things I can't do.
    But ideas are always welcomed, and appreciated!
    Also, about modding these things here you can find everything I think, there are many great tutorials:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1017
    For the research I use the Empire armybook, and one titled "Uniforms and heraldry of the Empire" ... well, I have to say (again) the COW team made a great work... there's almost nothing more to be done

Ekaddon's Avatar Tiro

Yeah, I thought about the state militia, and I don't really know... it can be done, using various existing models, but why? I mean that they would be very close to useless... Honestly, I don't even use Spearmen and Free company, cause they are very weak. Making a weaker unit seems to be pointless (to me).

For the research I use the Empire armybook, and one titled "Uniforms and heraldry of the Empire" ... well, I have to say (again) the COW team made a great work... there's almost nothing more to be done
    Yes true about the state troops.. Fluffy yet no use for them.
    Yes I too have those books. There are so many more but they are somewhat expensive to buy. Some I have got secondhand.

How hard is it to put a new settlement on the map?

And thanks for the tutorials, I just found them after posting.

THIS^

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast