Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best "Evil" games

Shneckie's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Best "Evil" games

Fable 1/2/3? Even though you work towards a wholly good objective, your means can be extremely evil.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Nole4694 View Post
    Supreme Commander does this quite well, everyone is convinced they are in the right and that the others are "evil" deserve death.
    It's quite obvious that the Cybrans are the good guys.

You know, the red and black ones with all the spikes on their vehicles

It is funny though that the evil looking ones seem to be the ones who are most "in the right." They just want freedom while the UEF wants them as slaves and the Aeon wants to kill everyone who doesn't convert.
    Last edited by the_mango55; July 09, 2011 at 04:31 PM.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Spitfire -WONDERBOLT!'s Avatar Vicarius
    Canterlot Castle, City of Canterlot, Equestria.

Dawn of war, You can summon daemons against the EMPERAH!
    GIVE CREDIT TO YOUR ENEMY AND LITTLE TO YOURSELF, AS IT MAKES YOUR VICTORY ALL THE GREATER!
    -Under the influence of medically prescribed drugs, please take much salt with this post, you have been warned!

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Roller Coaster Tycoon series.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Aonghus G. Friedhold View Post
    The problem is that it's difficult to accurately portray good and evil. It's easy to make your options be, Save the kitten from the tree, give the little girl $3,000 and pledge to never let her kitten enter into danger again or kill the kitten and the little girl, but they rarely flesh out that kind of encounter into how someone "evil" would really handle it. Maybe they save the kitten, and then they're an about getting it back.

But the even bigger problem I think is the linear advancement system on games that keep track of good/evil. Karma from Fallout 3/NV, Light Side/Dark Side in KOTOR, Renegade/Paragon, they all go one way or another, and often penalize you for not being one or the other. That's just stupid.
    Agreed. I think a better solution than the curent karma system would be to do away with it it completely. After all people can't know just by looking at you whether you're a good guy or not.
    I'd reckon some sort of extensive factional reputation system combined with a more natural approach to news about your deeds spreading, would be more immersive
    For example you might have worked with a crimelord in some remote place but a "good" faction could never have heard of it because you killed every witness, don't know it was you or the news simply hasn't reached them. Likewise a group A might not care you kill group B, hate you for killing group C and love yyou for killing group D; but all on the condition they actually hear of you doing it.
    Of course truly major events would still spread your reputation around, but then you might have the option of not loudly proclaiming your name.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Quote Originally Posted by Ulyaoth View Post
    Roller Coaster Tycoon series.
    How is that game evil? Oh, wait... I think there was something about "unknowing test subjects for new experimental suicide rollercoasters", right?

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

How is being an evil corporate businessman not evil? I charged for everything, including bathrooms, when I got pissed I would lock people in the park, or if people got mad at something and sad they were leaving I tended to imprison them. On a high shear tower. And then drop them at my leisure to drown. Hmm, yes, I feel like reinstalling that now.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post
    Agreed. I think a better solution than the curent karma system would be to do away with it it completely. After all people can't know just by looking at you whether you're a good guy or not.
    I'd reckon some sort of extensive factional reputation system combined with a more natural approach to news about your deeds spreading, would be more immersive
    For example you might have worked with a crimelord in some remote place but a "good" faction could never have heard of it because you killed every witness, don't know it was you or the news simply hasn't reached them. Likewise a group A might not care you kill group B, hate you for killing group C and love yyou for killing group D; but all on the condition they actually hear of you doing it.
    Of course truly major events would still spread your reputation around, but then you might have the option of not loudly proclaiming your name.
    Yeah, New Vegas took a step in the right direction with reputation, but it was really just a shell of what it could be.
    I thought about writing something clever, but then I remembered I'm not clever enough.

Gonna go with the following:

Kotor series

Dragon Age Origins

Fable 1 (the best...)

GTA IV

Fallout/Oblivion
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Oblivion had evil options? I mean, outside of the DB.
    I thought about writing something clever, but then I remembered I'm not clever enough.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

The GTA games definitely.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Nole4694's Avatar Procrastination Power!

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    It's quite obvious that the Cybrans are the good guys.

You know, the red and black ones with all the spikes on their vehicles

It is funny though that the evil looking ones seem to be the ones who are most "in the right." They just want freedom while the UEF wants them as slaves and the Aeon wants to kill everyone who doesn't convert.
    Oh yeah, the Cybrans had the most just cause. I was just saying that in the respective campaigns you can see the other side of things and understand them, at least to a degree. Its not "Rawr I am evil! I must conquer and destroy all!", they all believe they are in the right for various reasons.

Actually thinking back the UEF is really a quite realistic "Evil". A lot like the Galactic Empire, but with less sith

EDIT: @Ulyaoth, lmao that sounds amazing.
    Last edited by Nole4694; July 09, 2011 at 10:31 PM.
    God Save The King
    Gosse Durrant - Baron of Huntington - 24

Former contributor to the
    Go on! Take a look at their latest issue!

Under the patronage of the Black Prince

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

Fable? Such a terrible waste of potential and ideas...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12