Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official advice if you're having problems launching Shogun 2

CraigTW's Avatar Ducenarius

CA Developer Icon Official advice if you're having problems launching Shogun 2

Hi guys,

If you're having problems starting Shogun 2 since the latest patch, here's what we recommend you try. We find this process resolves nearly all cases.

1. Run the Visual C++ redist setup again. This can be found here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\redist\vcredist_x86.exe, or your equivalent directory (varies according to OS).

2. Delete or rename your preferences script. This can be found by typing %appdata% in any navigation bar then hitting enter. Navigate to The Creative Assembly\Shogun2\scripts\ and delete or rename the file preferences.script.txt

3. Verify the integrity of your game cache. Right click on Shogun 2 and click Properties. Then navigate to the local files tab and click "Verify integrity of game cache...". This ensures your version of Shogun 2 is exactly the same working version that appears on the server.

4. Delete your Steam ClientRegistry.blob file. This can be found in your Steam installation folder (for me it's C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam)

With any luck, one or more of those things will do the job and you'll be shooting arrows into faces before you know it.

If you're still having problems, let me know and I'll get one of our ninjas to investigate.

Hope it helped!

CraigTW
    The Creative Assembly

emotion_name's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Official advice if you're having problems launching Shogun 2

Thanks for the heads up, but is this about the Summer Son update thing that came other day, or has soemthing else gone live today?

Oh yeah, almost forgot, when we getting weekly update from you again Craig?

Quote Originally Posted by emotion_name View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, but is this about the Summer Son update thing that came other day, or has soemthing else gone live today?

Oh yeah, almost forgot, when we getting weekly update from you again Craig?
    Every time we deploy a patch, there are potential issues around installation. We noticed a few reports coming in of people struggling after Summer Son was deployed, so figured a bit of help from us wouldn't go amiss

I'll post the next update tomorrow - I skipped last week in favour of prepping XML stuff ('twas busy here!).

emotion_name's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTW View Post
    Every time we deploy a patch, there are potential issues around installation. We noticed a few reports coming in of people struggling after Summer Son was deployed, so figured a bit of help from us wouldn't go amiss

I'll post the next update tomorrow - I skipped last week in favour of prepping XML stuff ('twas busy here!).
    Ahh, thats cool, i thought something went live today, was gonna sign on and see what goodies awaited me!

Could you beg the powers that be if in your next update you could give us a little riddle/teaser/hint of where our TW battles will take us next? Pastures new, or pastures revisited? Pleeeeeeeease!

...you'll be shooting arrows into faces before you know it.

This line made my day
    ----------------------
    Shameless DarthMod Fanatic

Graphic's Avatar Vicarius

I prefer shooting arrows into balls don't judge me

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Have the launch problem, thanks for the solutions, going to try them now.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Have the launch problem, thanks for the solutions, going to try them now.
    Great, let me know how it goes. If you still have problems, let me know and I'll look into it further.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Great, let me know how it goes. If you still have problems, let me know and I'll look into it further.
    The "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" has worked for me, it was just a file issue. Thanks!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

None of those 4 steps work individually or in any kind of combination. Every time I start the game it crashes to desktop before the intro video. In addition of those steps I have also done the following:

Updated my graphics drivers
    Updated my sound drivers
    Installed every update for Windows
    Re-installed Shogun 2
    Uninstalled every Visual C++ redist on the computer, and reinstalled them
    Rebooted my computer god only knows how many times
    Updated DirectX

I was about to start sacrificing animals (couldn't find virgins) to various deitys, but I decided it was not worth it and uninstalled the game. I really hope that CA can get this game working in the future (hopefully not the distant future) so I can play it again. The funny thing is that I actually bought the Ikko Ikki -DLC and I was never able to play it. That was 4€ well spent.

And it is highly unlikely that this could be a hardware issue, about the 30ish games installed on my computer, shogun 2 in the only one that isn't working.

OK Castamere, let's see if I can help.

Would you mind posting your DXDiag in [QUOTE] tags? We'll look into it.

EDIT: Fixed at the bottom of my post.

Castamere isn't the only one. I got my new 6950 hoping it would reinvigorate my love for this game but I can't boot it at all :-(

I installed my card, done a fresh windows 7 install, fresh steam install, fresh retail shogun 2 install then let it update, checked integrity after the update all was perfect. I've installed the latest DX, I have catalyst 11.6, sound card drivers are up to date. Everything is up to date including windows. None of the fours steps made a bit of difference, I've even reinstalled the game. I go to launch the game it does the first time setup which tries installing vcredist. It disappears, I can see my avatar turn green as if it's booted a game and after one second or so it turns blue again, no game window ever appears.

I've been playing Shogun 2 since it came out and if I was asked what my game of the year was two weeks ago and I would've said this, but since then I've had 3 seperate co op campaigns actually go out of sync, my partner seeing the AI move to different places than I saw, me seeing his hattori units as jinbo units, me taking provinces that he doesn't see me take, the worst is when I make a move, my timer stops for him when I take a certain province, on my end I've taken the province and ended my turn, on his end I am still sieging the province and my timer isn't going down, it's happened the other way round too and no amount of loading earlier saves helps because even a save 10 turns previous, if we take the province that causes the bug it continues happening regardless of what we've changed about the way we play. I feel like I'm getting to the end of the road with this game, the game is severely broken from the crashes to the general annoying bugs. I am quite literally begging you at creative assembly to fix the crashes and the major bugs, I can live with minor bugs. I just want to enjoy the game and play it, I want to be able to actually complete a co op campaign for once, instead of having to start a new one cause the games desynced between the players somehow.

I would really like to get help with getting the game to launch because I do enjoy it when it's working, here's my dxdiag in case you want it, my system specs are in my sig.
    Code:
    snip
    EDIT: Tried running the 720p balanced benchmark, doesn't run either. Just a note too, I started a new campaign AFTER the achievement update before I reinstalled windows and changed graphics card, also just to clarify, the application DOES NOT open, steam thinks it does for a second but I never receive any shogun splash screen or loading screen. Shogun2.exe NEVER appears in task manager.

EDIT: Right after much screwing around I got it working, my problem wasn't Visual C++ 2005, it was 2008 which was vcredist_x86-90.exe. I ran the installer and selected repair, it repaired it, I rebooted and it launches now. If anyone else has issues try repairing 2008 with vcredist_x86-90.exe.
    Last edited by storm20200; July 10, 2011 at 06:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubisoft CEO
    Our clear goal today is to come more regularly with our top brands
    Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3515MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 4GiB Patriot 1480MHz CAS 8 | AMD 1GiB HD6950 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro 64-bit

Hi,

I and another 2 mates are still having troubles lauching.
    After all the lasted patches and Verify Integrity of Game Cache over and over again my version has started to work after 3 months of not playing it.

Just a quick question, steam seems to want to download 10gb of data every time I Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

What is the default size of the shogun 2 folder? mines is currently at 18.3gb

Is that normal? what should the default size be?

I love the new patch, Fps has gone from 12 to 58 while fighting battles and zoomed right in. Really amazing work.

Quote Originally Posted by pravania View Post
    Hi,

I and another 2 mates are still having troubles lauching.
    After all the lasted patches and Verify Integrity of Game Cache over and over again my version has started to work after 3 months of not playing it.

Just a quick question, steam seems to want to download 10gb of data every time I Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

What is the default size of the shogun 2 folder? mines is currently at 18.3gb

Is that normal? what should the default size be?

I love the new patch, Fps has gone from 12 to 58 while fighting battles and zoomed right in. Really amazing work.
    18.3GB is around the right mark, the retail game was about 15.5GB~ but the DX11 patch increased that quite a lot :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubisoft CEO
    Our clear goal today is to come more regularly with our top brands
    Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3515MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 4GiB Patriot 1480MHz CAS 8 | AMD 1GiB HD6950 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro 64-bit

My Shogun 2 works fine. Can play everything: Singleplayer, Custom battle, Co-op Campain. The only thing that's bothering me is when I start avatar conquest. I simply freeze when going to the screen where you can make your army. Sometimes I need to reboot my computer. Sometimes I lose connection after 10 minutes where it stops freezing. I only was able to play 1 avatar conquest game with my friend. Because he waited 20 minutes for me to join...

I'm willing to try anything at this point. I'll do those things and see if it works. I'm really not ready to stop playing this game yet, and when I am I'd like it to be on my terms.

Something that worked with me is closing steam, uninstalling C++ 2005 entries in the applications list, then firing up steam and verifying the game's files. This whole episode cost me roughly 4 hours of actual research, 7GB worth of mysterious downloads through steam and an unquantifiable amount of stress and frustration. After I fixed it, I couldn't sit and play for more than 30 minutes, which included a first-time Crash. This is not worth it.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Right, i uninstalled Shogun2 a while back.

Then yesterday, i reinstalled it (from the CD) and left it to update, with the addition of the Ikko Ikki pack.

Then i validated it, started it and it crashed on the "Shogun2" logo with all the information etc.

I've followed all these steps and nothing has changed.

Oh and i used to be able to run it in highest quality in dx11.

Edit: Oh i thought this was the post in technical help!
    Last edited by Comrade_Rory; July 11, 2011 at 08:37 AM.

I got an error message 55:

This is a Steam Service failure. Please try enabling the Steam Service:

• Exit Steam.
    • Click Start > Run (Windows Key + R)
    • Type the following command:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\Steamservice.exe /Install

(If you have installed Steam to another path, please replace C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam with the correct path.)

This command requires administrator privileges and may take a few minutes.
    • Launch Steam and test the issue again.

I tried to run it, but the computer can't find the file, and I haven't located it with the search thing. Any ideas?

I've stopped laying for now as I have a broadband cap (yes they are the only plans available in New Zealand) and the game is trying to redownload 18gig. Guess I can uniistall and reinstall (have disc) and then re-download all the patches. Will try the verify cache as well. Bit frustrating, was really enjoying the game, as much as all the total wars.
    Anyone know if a way around this issue with steam trying to download the whole game again?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast