Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: For larger armies: Regiments become 4 battalions submod

Default For larger armies: Regiments become 4 battalions submod

**UPDATE**

What you have here is the units tables of the LME2_0 data pack modded with changes in all LAND units limit, upkeep and initial cost. Explanation and reasoning below

This is for use for with armies of 30, 40, 50 and up to 80 units! I use 40 but it has been tested to 80.

1. Changes:

a. All unit limits (except those set to 0, which remain 0) have been multiplied by 4. Thus units with a limit of 1 are now 4 and units with a limit of 8 are now 32 and so on.

b. All land unit initial costs have been divided by 4, rounded down. So a unit with a cost of 1200 is now 300.

c. All land units upkeep has been divided by 4, rounded down. So an upkeep of 180 becomes 45.

d. All land units recruitment time have been reduced by 1, except those that were 1 already obviously.

2. Increase army size

First follow these instructions http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=454565 to change your army size limit. Be sure to use ESF 1.4.5 or 1.4.6. I could not get 1.4.8 to work as have a few others.

Now that you have your army capable of having more units, download this pack attached to this post, unzip and place your in your Program Files (x86) > Steam > SteamApps > common > napoleon total war > data.

Enabling:

Download Mod Manager for Napoleon.
    I won't go through all the details about the Mod manager, I'm assuming if you're here you know; just make sure WolvesLME2_0 mod is above the LME2_0 mod in the Mod Manager list.

Description, explanation and example:

With LME 2.0 you have tons of custom units, so let's use the British unit the 92nd Foot Gordon Highlanders as an example.

In LME this unit is 1 regiment and has a recruitment limit of 1. With this submod it has a limit of 4.
    When you raise all 4 units you now have 4 battalions of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders, each of them with name and unit card of 92nd Gordon Highlanders but each one is automatically given a 2nd name as 1st battalion, 2nd battalion etc.
    This was already in NTW/LME, they name themselves properly.

The cost and upkeep for your 92nd Gordon's as 4 battalions as a regiment is now the same as it was when it was a 1 unit regiment.

Take them to battle and fight them side by side as the 92nd G.H. regiment. You can now augument them with a battalion of grenadiers if you want to make an upstrength regiment ready to hold the most crucial part of your line...

Cavalry is the same; example, the 2nd Life Guards "Cheese Mongers" are now 4 squadrons. Same costs and upkeep together as 4 squadrons before as 1 unit.

Same with artillery.

Enjoy!

P.S. Waiting on permission from the makers of the AUM mod which comes with LME 2.0, I've edited those units the same way and have a submod ready to upload. It will go above WolvesLME2_0 submod in the Mod Manager list.
    Last edited by Wolves In The Throne Room; July 03, 2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: left out recruitment time

Default Re: For larger armies: Regiments become 4 battalions submod

FYI, I'm 40 turns into an 1805 LME 2.0 campaign using this pack and I have had no issues, it works perfect. The AI has 40 unit stacks everywhere (hard campaign) full of diverse and custom units! I
    Also just for record I only modded one thing in PFM and that was unit_tables> LME_units.

Also it will work with armies of 20 units, but then you'd have only 5 different regiments, fighting as 4 battalions each. 30 would work but a minimum of 40 per army is optimum IMO.
    Last edited by Wolves In The Throne Room; July 02, 2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: also

Leoben's Avatar Decanus

Just downloaded the submod, however Wolves, it's your first (sub)mod, right? I think if you have only modified unit_stat_land, you could extract this db to make the submod lighter, and calling it something like "Wolvesmod.pack". By activating it in the user script on top of LME2.0.pack, your modifications would then override the basic Unit_stat_land from the LME2.0.Pack.

Another problem which could arise is that if, for instance, I install another submod modifying several stuff, including unit_stat_land, this will override your unit_stat_land modifications. With your submod in a seperate pack, I'd be able to activate it on the top of the user script and thus ensure that your modifications are still active.

Great job anyway!

Ah... ok, that makes perfect sense. Yes it's my first submod, 2 weeks ago I didn't know anything haha.

Let me work on this and will post the stripped down version. Thanks for the heads up!

Ok done, first post updated. Thanks Leoben, +Rep!

Leoben's Avatar Decanus

Glad if I could be of some help! I'm downloading it right now, gotta test PDGuru's NTW3 submod a bit more and then I'll use your submod, thanks again for doing it!

It was fun to learn how to do, lot's of great 'how to's' on here.

FYI: To anyone who downloaded the original file, it is still good, however like Leoben said, if you ever download other mods it could overrule what I modded. So to be safe, just throw your original LME2_0 pack back in your data folder and then download this MUCH smaller WolvesLME2_0 submod I attached to the first post and throw it in there too, enable via instructions above, then you you'll be set for handling any future mods.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Switching them out won't affect saved games.

Leoben's Avatar Decanus

Got the submod version to work, everything seems to be alright, thanks again Wolves.

Well made submod Sir+Rep,
    and good of you Leoben for the feedback and coaching approach+Rep

Best regards
    iutland

Thanks for the feedback guys, glad you like it. Along with the larger army size I am having the most fun in a campaign ever in any TW series.

I love situations like a battle where a few random battalions were hit kind of hard in the previous battle and haven't had time to replenish and I have to create ad hoc 'battle task forces' to reinforce a regiment as has been done in all ages of warfare.

I also usually take 4-6 battalions of grenadiers along in a 40 unit army and task each to my crack regiments to bolster them.
    With 40 units I am always able to have at least a regiment in reserve and as 4 seperate battalions they can be sent to 'fight fires' along the line in more than just one place now.

I do the same with cavalry. If I decide I'm going to head right for the enemys arty on the left wing right off the bat, I'll send light dragoons and often attach one squadron of heavy horse to tag along to provide support and defence if they run into the enemys heavy horse during their mission, it's paid off handsomely several times. Also a heavy horse regiment missing just one squadron is still quite capable of it's own tasks during the battle.

One battle in particular saw me pull 1 squadron of the Scots Greys, 2 battered squadrons of the light Saucy 7th from my far right in mid battle to swing around and counter attack the French grenadiers who had collapsed my left wing, this bought me enough time to send 3 battalions of Irish foot from my reserve over there to re-establish my line.

That made the 2 weeks I spent learning how to somewhat mod all worth it!

And of course the added character of witnessing, after a few engagements, (I always view post battle unit details with interest) there is always that one battalion within a regiment that just seems to be a little more capable and up for it and over time it's easier to imagine there is more of that classic military unit rivalry so to speak, all part of the enjoyment for me personally. I've yet to write out any AARs or campaign storylines but with the regiments made up of individual battalions now, I feel like I could do that and have much more historical-esque detail.

Thanks for the help and feedback

♔Icebear77♔'s Avatar Biarchus

Great to hear you released this submod. Iam on holiday so i cant test it, but am sure, its a great submod.
    +REP

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Nice mod, Wolves.

I thought I would share here my take on this. I have doubled army sizes to 40 (although I find it hard to navigate the units given only 20 can be in the GUI) and left things otherwise unchanged. Given the existing unit limits I was hoping (and so far found) that this tends to create a smaller number of larger converged armies - which is what I want to establish... large, strategic and decisive battles rather than a never ending series of battles (big or small).
    I'd be very interested to hear suggestions on additonal ideas on how that might be achieved.

yes great submod well done, +rep. i feel corp battles total war submod 40 v 40 coming on. i think the chaps over at ntw3 may be interested in this too.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Pdguru♔ View Post
    Nice mod, Wolves.

I thought I would share here my take on this. I have doubled army sizes to 40 (although I find it hard to navigate the units given only 20 can be in the GUI) and left things otherwise unchanged. Given the existing unit limits I was hoping (and so far found) that this tends to create a smaller number of larger converged armies - which is what I want to establish... large, strategic and decisive battles rather than a never ending series of battles (big or small).
    I'd be very interested to hear suggestions on additonal ideas on how that might be achieved.
    Thanks Highlander, I'm glad everyone who has tried it so far seems to like it.

For the reasons you stated Pdguru is why on my next campaign I think I'm going to experiment with 50 units per army and see how the campaign map changes.
    Right now on my LME Hard/Hard 1805 campaign, France has about 6 full stacks and about 8 half or lower in and around France and have given me a hell of a time in Belgium and Brittany. No more raiding Paris or Aquitaine carelessly!
    If 50 per would get the number if stacks down a touch, but with the same ratio of full to half I think it'd be more realistic.

I've found personally that doing away with the unit cards at the bottom and just running the battle that way (with cam 2 of course) it is easier. I've memorized the control+m, control+c etc commands and my battles flow fine, a lot easier than when I was still trying to use the unit cards. It's all preference though isn't it?

Much appreciated Wolf, I too am eagerly waiting to start my first campaign with this mod and your contribution too it. So far I have started a GC 1805 and changed the save game as you suggested. But as of yet I don't seem to have your changes. When I load up I still see units with 1, or 3 unit limits and realize this isnt right, should at least be 4, or 12 right? Anyway maybe it my scripts. I have used only Mod Manager so far cause I always have, but maybe I need the script form. I don't think I am using LME's scripts right or yours. Could you help explain a little more please. Thanks

Push on, brave York volunteers

Your script file should look like this, mgi brock

mod WolvesLME2_0Mod.pack;
    mod LME2_U_AI.pack;
    mod LME2_Camp1805.pack;
    mod LME2_graphics.pack;
    mod LME2_0.pack;

great mod by the way, thanks
    Last edited by THE HIGHLANDER; July 18, 2011 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Major General Isaac Brock View Post
    Much appreciated Wolf, I too am eagerly waiting to start my first campaign with this mod and your contribution too it. So far I have started a GC 1805 and changed the save game as you suggested. But as of yet I don't seem to have your changes. When I load up I still see units with 1, or 3 unit limits and realize this isnt right, should at least be 4, or 12 right? Anyway maybe it my scripts. I have used only Mod Manager so far cause I always have, but maybe I need the script form. I don't think I am using LME's scripts right or yours. Could you help explain a little more please. Thanks
    Did Highlanders script help?

If you're using ModManager for NTW here's what mine looks like right now.

Wolves,

How large are your individual units? Do you have the unit size set to ultra or did you alter the preferences script as well to change the size of individual units to accomidate your mod? I ask because mine is set to 2.2 and I have 40 units in one army and i figure historically that wouldnt be correct. How large should individual units be in your opinion? Thanks!

Well I have it set to large with LME, didn't change script, so about 160-200 on average for foot, 75 for cav I think? It's been over a week since I've played, vacation etc

Next campaign I'm going for ultra which pushes it up around 300 if I remember correctly, with 50 units per army, I'll be posting how it plays out.
    I've got a pretty good rig, I may push it on up some more using the script if I'm still not lagging with full stack battles.
    I'd love it if I could play near historical levels, it may not play as well or it might just be awesome, worth a try.

Here are some historical numbers for an average battalion at Waterloo courtesy of http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Br..._WATERLOO.html:
    - 665 men / British infantry
    - 610 men / Prussian infantry
    - 520 men / King's German Legion
    - 520 men / French infantry
    Thus the average British battalion was stronger than
    its French counterpart by almost 150 muskets.
    Average squadron at Waterloo:
    - 145 men / Wellington's cavalry
    - 135 men / Napoleon's cavalry
    - 115 men / Blucher's cavalry

Quote Originally Posted by Wolves In The Throne Room View Post
    Well I have it set to large with LME, didn't change script, so about 160-200 on average for foot, 75 for cav I think? It's been over a week since I've played, vacation etc

Next campaign I'm going for ultra which pushes it up around 300 if I remember correctly, with 50 units per army, I'll be posting how it plays out.
    I've got a pretty good rig, I may push it on up some more using the script if I'm still not lagging with full stack battles.
    I'd love it if I could play near historical levels, it may not play as well or it might just be awesome, worth a try.

Here are some historical numbers for an average battalion at Waterloo courtesy of http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Br..._WATERLOO.html:
    - 665 men / British infantry
    - 610 men / Prussian infantry
    - 520 men / King's German Legion
    - 520 men / French infantry
    Thus the average British battalion was stronger than
    its French counterpart by almost 150 muskets.
    Average squadron at Waterloo:
    - 145 men / Wellington's cavalry
    - 135 men / Napoleon's cavalry
    - 115 men / Blucher's cavalry
    Cool. Have you tried to increase the number of units you can recruit in each city at one time? kinda gets difficult when you are tryying to raise a full 40 stack army when you can only recruit 10 units at a time.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast