Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Visions of Thera. A Portrait and Artwork project.

Default Re: Faces of Thera. A Portrait project.

Awesome. I love how the Tzar is just a tiny bit fat.

At first I thought King Rothgaard was trying to dance with a broken hip but then I realized he was just sitting down. Bonus points for not giving him an oversized Warcraft axe.

I'm quite anxious to see Lord Graystoke.
    Last edited by Jean=A=Luc; July 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Marvelous work!

You've captured Gaius Romulus Caesar, Cerebus, Kozlov, and Mojag perfectly!

I do, however, think that Montezuma and Votan have too similar facial expressions and features. They also look too mild.

Also, Bluetooth's right arm looks kind of 'detached' from his body, tbh.

But excellent work overall. My lord, I wish I had your talent

I'm sure you already expected this, but +rep

Once again brilliant work Jan! Although I agree with The Holy Pligrim about Rothgaard Bluetooth's arm. My favourites from this batch are Mojag, Tzar Dushan and Gaius Caesar.

TheFirstONeill's Avatar Father of Thera

Great artwork Jan,, I'd love to find a way to work these into V4

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone
    Proud Creator of Thera, Legacy of the Great Torment: Opifex :

Citizen

Leader Portraits!

The ingame image is too small , all detail would be lost, I was thinking more as a loading screen or some other full screen UI element, or in the release documentation.

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone

Maybe the intro story events? They'd still need to be downsized but not so much as to lose the details.

Borissomeone's Avatar Citizen

Your skill is truly great, a fine set of drawings.

Under the Patronage of TheFirstONeill.

Torvus's Avatar Campidoctor

I love Caesar, Rothgaard and the Tzar. Great work, Jan! +rep

EDIT: though I hate to admit it, I love the way you've interpreted the Uruk mutant's armor. nice cross between samurai and Roman armor.
    Last edited by Torvus; July 25, 2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: had more to say

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstONeill View Post
    The ingame image is too small , all detail would be lost, I was thinking more as a loading screen or some other full screen UI element, or in the release documentation.
    I mean large printable ones! An then you could sell them on-line, profits would be split between you and Jan.

Yes, yes. That will be marvelous!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I was going to say to release a document with Boris' Tales of Thera and Jan's great Leader Portraits as a Thera fan-pack, but that will take much time to make.

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Very nice work, and it's nice to see that the Hochmeister will get a beard instead of this mustache. After all, in our world, members of the Militant Orders would have beard to show that they are above such petty concerns such as shaving. Oh, and the sword of the Valiente fella should have been longer IMO. Overally excellent!
    +rep
    Last edited by Sanguinary Guardian; July 25, 2011 at 05:42 PM.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

Whoa, whoa, whoa, guys! Thanks for a wonderful feedback, but let me reply! I'll answer chronologically, to avoid the mess. And rep you back if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    I do, however, think that Montezuma and Votan have too similar facial expressions and features. They also look too mild.
    Maybe you're right, but I'm quite happy with them both. I wanted to make them more majestic or mystical, more spiritual than the bloody kings and warlords of Europa and Ibellica... Imagine them as supreme priests at the moment. They are going to cut away hearts anyway

Also, Bluetooth's right arm looks kind of 'detached' from his body, tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese Lord View Post
    Although I agree with The Holy Pligrim about Rothgaard Bluetooth's arm.
    Well, it is an arm, but not his arm... I should have pointed that out. It's the Cloak of Flesh! And this arm is just a peel of its former self. Rothgaard's real arm is hidden beneath the cloak.

Great artwork Jan,, I'd love to find a way to work these into V4
    These are the words I haven't pictured in my wildest dreams, TFON. I would be honoured if I could contribute in such way. But no matter in which form my drawings would appear in V4, I won't let you publish the pencil sketches, as they won't blend with the colourful style of the game. I will need some time, but I'm able to produce digital paintings in colour.

I could do a decent leader portrait (I think), but it would only apply to special characters. I can't imagine people in Faustian armor as generals of the Bons Chevaliers, for example - as for now some completely different factions share their portrait/culture base. Larger elements - if you could specify the dimensions or expectations, I would make the leader portraits into larger scenes, suitable for loading screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    Maybe the intro story events? They'd still need to be downsized but not so much as to lose the details.
    Also a solution. I think I would be able to make images for in-game events (general dead, marriage, etc.) for each culture, but it would consume much precious time, which I still have in scarcity.

Quote Originally Posted by Torvus View Post
    EDIT: though I hate to admit it, I love the way you've interpreted the Uruk mutant's armor. nice cross between samurai and Roman armor.
    I'm glad you noticed that. In fact, I didn't remember the uruk armour from the game (I had a lousy graphic card and played battles zoomed out; I've just bought a new card, now Med2 and Empire run great). So I had to make something up. But the Uruk-hais from the LotR movies always made me think about Chinese or Japanese soldiers.

I mean large printable ones! An then you could sell them on-line, profits would be split between you and Jan.

Yes, yes. That will be marvelous!

I was going to say to release a document with Boris' Tales of Thera and Jan's great Leader Portraits as a Thera fan-pack, but that will take much time to make.
    Hey, nothing's going on sale yet! Not until I make some decent drawings in colour

Quote Originally Posted by jan_boruta View Post
    These are the words I haven't pictured in my wildest dreams, TFON. I would be honoured if I could contribute in such way. But no matter in which form my drawings would appear in V4, I won't let you publish the pencil sketches, as they won't blend with the colourful style of the game. I will need some time, but I'm able to produce digital paintings in colour.

I could do a decent leader portrait (I think), but it would only apply to special characters. I can't imagine people in Faustian armor as generals of the Bons Chevaliers, for example - as for now some completely different factions share their portrait/culture base. Larger elements - if you could specify the dimensions or expectations, I would make the leader portraits into larger scenes, suitable for loading screens.
    I will send you a PM, I would love to discuss those ideas with you in greater detail

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by jan_boruta View Post
    Well, it is an arm, but not his arm... I should have pointed that out. It's the Cloak of Flesh! And this arm is just a peel of its former self. Rothgaard's real arm is hidden beneath the cloak.
    I knew that the cloak was that of flesh, but I just thought he had his arm through the other person's arm like a sleeve, you know?

To be honest, I don't know which was the more sinister idea, but it's a great one nonetheless

Might I suggest adding a Gladius or a Spatha sword in the Caesar's belt?

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

I second SG's suggestion, that's about the only real 'complaint' (for want of a better word) that I could think of
    Anyway, EPIC WIN IS YOU! Well done
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Massive_attack's Avatar Campidoctor
    Citizen

This is just me, but im not feeling Mr. Gaius' mutton-chops.

I think that if they were shorter, sideburns perhaps, he could look better.

I will send you a PM, I would love to discuss those ideas with you in greater detail
    Awaiting

I knew that the cloak was that of flesh, but I just thought he had his arm through the other person's arm like a sleeve, you know?

To be honest, I don't know which was the more sinister idea, but it's a great one nonetheless
    Ha, that would be nice indeed! But quite impractical, also, it would be uncomfortable to wear if you had an arm with a chainmail half-sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinary Guardian View Post
    Might I suggest adding a Gladius or a Spatha sword in the Caesar's belt?
    Noted, I will add it in the digital version.

Quote Originally Posted by Massive_attack View Post
    This is just me, but im not feeling Mr. Gaius' mutton-chops.

I think that if they were shorter, sideburns perhaps, he could look better.
    At first, I wanted to give him a full beard (without moustache). In fact, I modelled him after Nero Caesar, seeing that the Romuli aren't all that shiny and noble and, possibly, are prone to corruption. But I might change m mind on that and shorten this part of facial hair in the digital piece.

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

:O the Romuli are too shiny and noble haha
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Quote Originally Posted by Julianus Flavius View Post
    :O the Romuli are too shiny and noble haha
    I think the people of Demos would beg to differ.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast