Thread: [WIP - having technical difficulties] Updated DB Editor Schema based on the raw XML and XSD files released by CA

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

Default [WIP - having technical difficulties] Updated DB Editor Schema based on the raw XML and XSD files released by CA

EDIT: Okay, I was about a third done when I realized I was updating the old schema, not taw's new one that has all but two tables unlocked. I tried to merge the two files to save what I'd gotten done... didn't work, gave me fatal errors with DBE. So I'm starting over tomorrow, and hopefully upload the file in the next few days.

WIP post that I didn't feel like deleting
    I've gotten rid of 99.99% of the unknown columns in the DB editor. The reason it's not 100% is that there are a handful of columns that are still in hex. Interestingly, there are columns and even entire tables mentioned in CA's XML files that don't show up in the DB editor. I would add them, but I'd probably break something while trying, and they're generally unused or rarely used, so it's probably not worth the effort.

Anyway, enjoy.

Here's a select few tables that got significant updates:

• agents
    • battle_cities
    • battle_climate_weather
    • battle_entities
    • battle_type_setup_limits
    • building_levels
    • campaign_map_playable_areas
    • campaign_walk_anim_sets
    • climate_to_erosion_settings

Some interesting tables for feature that were never implemented:

• battlefield_deployable_siege_items
    • battlefield_snow_props
    • disasters
    • diseases

Last edited by Okmin; July 02, 2011 at 05:03 PM.
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: [WIP] Updated DB Editor Schema based on the raw XML and XSD files released by CA

Thank you a ton! +rep
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Default Re: [WIP] Updated DB Editor Schema based on the raw XML and XSD files released by CA

Progress update: This time I was about halfway through... and found out the DB editor refused to save the schema. Asked taw if he can help, but if it can't be fixed then I can't do this at all
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Quote Originally Posted by Okmin View Post
    Progress update: This time I was about halfway through... and found out the DB editor refused to save the schema. Asked taw if he can help, but if it can't be fixed then I can't do this at all
    I've updated the schema. However, the keyref nodes will need to be redone as the column names have changed.

You edited DB.xsd directly? About a quarter of the tables (mainly the larger ones) have columns in a different order than CA's XML files. So if you did that, part it's not gonna match up.
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Archimonday's Avatar Senator

Well ive been editing the Schema by directly editing the column names after finding a series of five matching values in both the .csv's he provided and the .db tables already in the DB Editor. I've noticed that columns are not in order, and that some columns are non-existent.

Are the non-existent columns because they are not being used by the game, or were they missed? Some are not important, like string descriptions, but, still would like to have them...im a bit OCD at times.

You edited DB.xsd directly? About a quarter of the tables (mainly the larger ones) have columns in a different order than CA's XML files. So if you did that, part it's not gonna match up.
    You mean the files have the columns in a different order? I wrote a program to do this. Take a look at what I've got. It should be most of the worst part, though the keyref nodes are completely wrong. Also, the unique nodes are missing some column references.
    Last edited by erasmus777; July 03, 2011 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimonday View Post
    Well ive been editing the Schema by directly editing the column names after finding a series of five matching values in both the .csv's he provided and the .db tables already in the DB Editor. I've noticed that columns are not in order, and that some columns are non-existent.

Are the non-existent columns because they are not being used by the game, or were they missed? Some are not important, like string descriptions, but, still would like to have them...im a bit OCD at times.
    Same. I'm guessing they were just missed, because they look like they'd be used. I've also seen some columns that are in the DB editor but not the XML. And one column that actually should've been split into about eight columns, at least according to the XML.
    Quote Originally Posted by erasmus777 View Post
    You mean the files have the columns in a different order? I wrote a program to do this. Take a look at what I've got. It should be most of the worst part, though the unique and keyref nodes are definitely missing some entries.
    Okay, send it to me and I'll look.
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Sorry, the .xsd wasn't attaching to my post. It's there now.

Okay, looks good. But yeah, some of the columns are out of order. I assume you wrote your program to read the XML tags and write it into DB.xsd (basically), right? So it's got the columns out of order in some tables (well, technically DBE has them out of order, but you know what I mean). For example, compare battle_terrain_farms_tables (the original one) to battle_terrain_farms.xml, and look at the actual file names. Different order. 'though for the majority of the tables (the one's that are in order), it worked perfectly.

I've PMed LtChambers (since it's his editor) to see if he can help, but I don't know if he'll reply anytime soon.
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Archimonday's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [WIP - having technical difficulties] Updated DB Editor Schema based on the raw XML and XSD files released by CA

That XSD crashed for me. hrmm

Okay, looks good. But yeah, some of the columns are out of order. I assume you wrote your program to read the XML tags and write it into DB.xsd (basically), right? So it's got the columns out of order in some tables (well, technically DBE has them out of order, but you know what I mean). For example, compare battle_terrain_farms_tables (the original one) to battle_terrain_farms.xml, and look at the actual file names. Different order. 'though for the majority of the tables (the one's that are in order), it worked perfectly.

I've PMed LtChambers (since it's his editor) to see if he can help, but I don't know if he'll reply anytime soon.
    Yes, that's what I did--I went through the xsds and pulled all the fields but the "s_" ones. Anyway, I've got the code for the DBEditor. However, I think all the issues are in the schema. We need to

1. make sure all the keyref and unique nodes are pointing to the new column names
    2. get the columns in order

After that, it should work.

Default Re: [WIP - having technical difficulties] Updated DB Editor Schema based on the raw XML and XSD files released by CA

Quote Originally Posted by Archimonday View Post
    That XSD crashed for me. hrmm
    Yes, it should. It's a WIP.

Quote Originally Posted by erasmus777 View Post
    Yes, that's what I did--I went through the xsds and pulled all the fields but the "s_" ones. Anyway, I've got the code for the DBEditor. However, I think all the issues are in the schema. We need to

1. make sure all the keyref and unique nodes are pointing to the new column names
    2. get the columns in order

After that, it should work.
    I think taw can help with number one And I can get it in order in the next few days, if you want.
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

I think taw can help with number one And I can get it in order in the next few days, if you want.
    Sounds good. If you want to focus on order, then I'll start working on the unique nodes. Maybe taw can do the keyrefs.

So... it seems it wasn't that easy to put all those new data to the DB editor.
    It just makes me appreciate even more the work of those that made the DB editor in the first place.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Is it/will it be possible with the new XML tables etc to change the turns needed for elections? I.e. change them to 20 or something?

Elections are easy to be changed in startpos.esf:

Yes, but the NEXT time, they revert to the nomal 8 turns/elections. I was asking if you can change it for ever. I play with 4tpy and I have to periodically open the esf and change when the next elections will happen. Usually, instead of 2 4 year terms I place it to 1 6 year term and 1 2 year term. But I would much more prefer to set it to 2 x4 years and be done with it, without the need to open the ESF every 16 turns.

Hmm.. I didn't now that... I'll check it further.