Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Official CA comment - Total War: The modding situation

emotion_name's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Official CA comment - Total War: The modding situation

Hmmm, it would seem i now need to eat my hat!

...Anyone got any ketchup?

I do hope this breathes some life into Empire. As it stands it's already collecting dust and I'm still playing Rome and Med II because mods are giving those titles and excellent shelf life.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HissingNewt View Post
    So, could someone explain what these databases allow to happen that wasn't possible before?

Anyways, thanks CA.

For example, there's an entry for mercenaries in ETW's files. That wasn't there.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by empr guy View Post
    Like what specifically?
    Mercenaries.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

So Happy.
    For the modders out there:
    Does this mean that we could have some epic total conversions like a Rome era (I know one is already in development), but we can change the map totally (adding more provinces, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by Clodius View Post
    given that most of the useful values in the database have long been documented in unit guides etc
    No they haven't, this shows clearly how much we didn't know.
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Anyome has an idea of what will be possible to do with that??? I am not sure it will be the big help we expected allowing to do complete modifications...

Well it might come a little latter, but is better than nothing so thanks

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!

And thus the Prophet Craig descended down upon the mountain, addressing his followers. And lo! He begat upon them XML files. And there was much rejoicing.

Also gotta love TWC, always classy with thread tags like "I Dont Trust Ca"
    If yer going to leave some rep be sure to leave your name so I can return the favor
    "I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question; Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? No! Says the man in Washington, it belongs to the poor. No! Says the man in the Vatican, It belongs to God. No! Says the Man in Moscow, It belongs to everyone. I rejected those answers, instead I choose something different... I chose the impossible... I choose.... Rapture. A city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty moralities, where the great would not be constrained by the small. And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well..."
    "A MAN CHOOSES! A SLAVE OBEYS!"
    -Andrew Ryan

I wont thank Craig because there are lies in CA statement.

1st: a public map builder is not that kind of hard to program. They have developed an internal map builder so there are ways to simplify that tool to publish it to common modders. I know what I'm saying because I was a IT project manager for several common softwares.

2nd The only reason those files are in binary format because CA dont want every one read them and modify by themself. Saving up disk space is another reason but I doubt it .

Civilization series is a kind of 'open source' game. Every single resource in the game could be modified easily by 3rd party software or Firaxis tools. CA, you have to look at the fact that any open-source game would have longer product life-cycle than others. In an point of financial view, it is not good because no one will pay 5$ for your silly iko-iki dlc. In the point of marketing view, it is fantastic because you can save a hell of but it is very effective.

Megasalexandros's Avatar Campidoctor

congratulations CA
    MACEDONIA ETERNAL GREEK KINGDOM

1st: a public map builder is not that kind of hard to program. They have developed an internal map builder so there are ways to simplify that tool to publish it to common modders. I know what I'm saying because I was a IT project manager for several common softwares.
    Our map creation process involves multiple internal and 3rd party apps, it's not simple.

2nd The only reason those files are in binary format because CA dont want every one read them and modify by themself. Saving up disk space is another reason but I doubt it .
    The files we released today are what we convert into the binary format. We use binary purely to help with loading times. No more, no less.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Moderator Emeritus

Haters gonna hate.

Lusted, +rep.

Quote Originally Posted by visser300 View Post

Civilization series is a kind of 'open source' game. Every single resource in the game could be modified easily by 3rd party software or Firaxis tools. CA, you have to look at the fact that any open-source game would have longer product life-cycle than others. In an point of financial view, it is not good because no one will pay 5$ for your silly iko-iki dlc. In the point of marketing view, it is fantastic because you can save a hell of but it is very effective.
    You are aware that STW is 1000x more complex,advanced, larger, and with better and more complicated Graphics than CIV will ever have right? If you packaged it like the CIV series you'd be facing instead of 1 minutes load times a half hour load times to build and process and switch back and forth between the battle field map and the campaign map. It takes ALOT of power to process that much data, and binary is the FASTEST way to do it. I'm a game designer. I work at a game design company. And trust me, you are wrong.
    If yer going to leave some rep be sure to leave your name so I can return the favor
    "I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question; Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? No! Says the man in Washington, it belongs to the poor. No! Says the man in the Vatican, It belongs to God. No! Says the Man in Moscow, It belongs to everyone. I rejected those answers, instead I choose something different... I chose the impossible... I choose.... Rapture. A city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty moralities, where the great would not be constrained by the small. And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well..."
    "A MAN CHOOSES! A SLAVE OBEYS!"
    -Andrew Ryan

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by visser300 View Post

1) Generaly the tools that get created to make games are in no way suitable for release to the general public..
    2) They are in binary format because this is 2011.
    3) Comparing Civ to something as complex as the warscape engine makes me laugh.

You've embarrassed yourself.

So campaign maps are locked for good and no one shall ever be able to mod them in future? Great. Eternal 1 province France and Spain in Empire!

Thanks for the update and files though, i'm sure they'll be put to good use.
    Last edited by emperor77; June 30, 2011 at 12:13 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by emperor77 View Post
    So campaign maps are locked for good and no one shall ever be able to mod them in future? Great. Eternal 1 province France and Spain in Empire!
    No, campaign maps are not locked but they're tough to mod. If you help, the day that we can have France with 12 provinces will come closer.

Also, may I point out that CA is under no obligation to release anything to us, right? Don't kick a gift horse in its mouth.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

That's a wonderfully good news!

Thank you very much for that. If I can make a suggestion, one way to increase your support to the community would be to have someone knowledgable from CA browse the forum to time to time and answer some questions about the way the engine is supposed to work.

We often come across some parts for which we won't really know the effect.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

First, thank you very much Craigs
    I really hope this gesture is a first step in new relationship between CA and TW modding community.
    We have talented peoples here, and I believe they should be able to create the modding tools we need if they can have proper informations.

What CA can't do, due to lack of time or money spending, the community probably can.

The complete database structure will be useful, but I hope this will not be a gesture without a future.
    What people want is modding map, modding ship and, probably, interface.
    It could be great to have a look to decompiled luac script , to be able to modify script to rework the campaign unit building list for instance.

Of course, since ETW, game engine is more complex, but it is more performing too and give so many possibilities.

So, again, thank Craigs and CA.

Now, wait and see, if this is a gesture without a future or the begining of a new relationship between CA and Total War games modding community.

+Rep Craigs
    Last edited by wangrin; June 30, 2011 at 12:26 PM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES