Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Official CA comment - Total War: The modding situation

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Official CA comment - Total War: The modding situation

No worries Okmin. Haters gonna hate.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Moderator Emeritus

For me ZoC changing is paramount in ETW. Now I could change ships ZoC so that you can't circumvent them with a single sloop and attack behind them.
    Last edited by YD23; June 30, 2011 at 11:08 PM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

wolfbane751's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Rorarii View Post
    Thanks, glad to see CA back on the users side!

I just had a look at some of those files ..WWOOO!! .. this aint going to be as easy as text files! I vote the next engine goes back to using RTW style text files and scripts, which is then compiled into binaries.

R
    what going back to a inferior engine type eh not really something id prefer
    but maybe something that on release has some sort of mod tools maybe that will make all the whiny kids complaining that the gme sux cuz it cant be modded not whine about it eh that would be nice of them yes?

Moderator Emeritus

It would be but as Craig said, it's next to impossible.

thanks CA, anyway
    forward to see the tangible results.
    Though, there is a project to make MTW2 with more generous hardcodes?
    As 40 factions, emergent rebels matching with the descr_rebel_factions, and all these little things it need some news?

(probably so much optimistic)

The Gods be praised!
    ουπω μα Δί οισθ' οι αυτός εράζει κακά
    Primus Pilus Centurion in Legio I Latina

Quote Originally Posted by Okmin View Post
    Actually it helps a lot. We didn't know what half the DB entries did, now we do.
    I was just grumpy at the time due to something going wrong. Anyway, I know it helps a bit, I'm just annoyed by it being a distraction from certain other expectations. Apart from the distraction, it has boosted my faith in CA a little.

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

Quote Originally Posted by J.Philp View Post
    I was just grumpy at the time due to something going wrong. Anyway, I know it helps a bit, I'm just annoyed by it being a distraction from certain other expectations. Apart from the distraction, it has boosted my faith in CA a little.
    I think those of us that have no complaints about this have pretty much come to the conclusion that we'll never get real mod tools. So we take what we can get
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Just saw this. My day has been made. Even though I'm not a modder (yet), I'm excited to finally be able to figure out what all those weird "Unknown" columns I saw while using the PFM controlled...

Zone Of Control:this is the big deal.Hopefully this will make DARTIS come back to Empire to reopen DMUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Okmin View Post
    I think those of us that have no complaints about this have pretty much come to the conclusion that we'll never get real mod tools. So we take what we can get
    This x 9001

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bucky View Post
    Nobody forced you to buy ETW, this might be latter and not much useful but is something, CA don't even have to support modding they are doing it because they want and we should be grateful, is because of people like you that we don't receive more support from CA.

I'm said.

This is laughably ignorant. "It's because of people like you we don't receive support from CA" Is this some sort of weird world where the customer is to beg for tools that have been a bedrock of the series since Day 1? I guess so. I assume you also find the idea of forced love a good thing. i.e. "you have to love me, if you don't you go to hell for eternities!!!! RAWR LOVE ME!!!"

I agree 100% with Humble, you got nothing today! NOTHING, no tools, no modding tools at all, no unit editor, just a FORCED excuse. You don't think they wanted to hide and forget they ever mentioned the unit editor? Please....they know this is one of the only forums people go to now to discuss TW, they saw the contempt rising, they HAD to release something.

I could care less really, but they didn't do anything for TWCenter or modders. As has been mentioned NUMEROUS times throughout the thread, I guess you glossed over that because it didn't sing CA's praises, that most of these values have already been found if not more!

I understand, though, people are into forced love nowadays, its a world-wide phenomenon, and I can't be shocked by it.
    Last edited by Fuzzynut; June 30, 2011 at 11:24 PM.

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Marechal Ney View Post
    Just saw this. My day has been made. Even though I'm not a modder (yet), I'm excited to finally be able to figure out what all those weird "Unknown" columns I saw while using the PFM controlled...
    Agreed. Good on CA for coming to the party, late is far better than never. Bring out a modding tool that gives us the same abilities(and more) as in rome and M2 and...(I can't express how happy I would be)
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzynut View Post
    This is laughably ignorant. "It's because of people like you we don't receive support from CA" Is this some sort of weird world where the customer is to beg for tools that have been a bedrock of the series since Day 1? I guess so. I assume you also find the idea of forced love a good thing. i.e. "you have to love me, if you don't you go to hell for eternities!!!! RAWR LOVE ME!!!"

I agree 100% with Humble, you got nothing today! NOTHING, no tools, no modding tools at all, no unit editor, just a FORCED excuse. You don't think they wanted to hide and forget they ever mentioned the unit editor? Please....they know this is one of the only forums people go to now to discuss TW, they saw the contempt rising, they HAD to release something.

I could care less really, but they didn't do anything for TWCenter or modders. As has been mentioned NUMEROUS times throughout the thread, I guess you glossed over that because it didn't sing CA's praises, that most of these values have already been found if not more!

I understand, though, people are into forced love nowadays, its a world-wide phenomenon, and I can't be shocked by it.

For the last how many years, our TWC modders have been working their asses off to keep the games we've come to love from simply collecting dust on the shelf. CA, even if it doesn't seem so, has given us a gift. They don't have to. Sure, it might not get us a world map. We might not expect a Star Wars Battlefront 3 to be crafted from Napoleon anytime soon, but the bottom line is that CA did something for us finally. However late it was, no matter how miniscule it is, it was something for the TW Community.
    You talk about forced love. These people are excited. We've never seen something quite like this. Sure, maybe it's a bit over the top, but I don't understand why you can't let them enjoy what little or grand they have received. See past the physical aspects. This has given the Community hope for better relations with CA. It may take a while for such a thing to be achieved, but it is hope nonetheless. We might expect new modders, more dedicated Community members, people who just want to be a part in what might be. I for one hope that I might help on a modding team one day. This has further convinced me.

If you find it to be 'nothing', that's alright gent. But obviously others believe it is something. And currently, I'd rather be with the 'over-excited hopefuls', than the 'You got NOTHING today! ... Just a forced excuse!'

Best Regards of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Shadowscar View Post
    For the last how many years, our TWC modders have been working their asses off to keep the games we've come to love from simply collecting dust on the shelf. CA, even if it doesn't seem so, has given us a gift. They don't have to. Sure, it might not get us a world map. We might not expect a Star Wars Battlefront 3 to be crafted from Napoleon anytime soon, but the bottom line is that CA did something for us finally. However late it was, no matter how miniscule it is, it was something for the TW Community.
    You talk about forced love. These people are excited. We've never seen something quite like this. Sure, maybe it's a bit over the top, but I don't understand why you can't let them enjoy what little or grand they have received. See past the physical aspects. This has given the Community hope for better relations with CA. It may take a while for such a thing to be achieved, but it is hope nonetheless. We might expect new modders, more dedicated Community members, people who just want to be a part in what might be. I for one hope that I might help on a modding team one day. This has further convinced me.

If you find it to be 'nothing', that's alright gent. But obviously others believe it is something. And currently, I'd rather be with the 'over-excited hopefuls', than the 'You got NOTHING today! ... Just a forced excuse!'

Best Regards of course.
    Firstly, my reply was directed at the guy I quoted and for good reason. If you felt hurt by it then maybe it applies and nothing hurts like the truth in my opinion. They don't have to release tools, but you wanna check the sales of the last iterations, here you go:

S2TW: 290k sales to date (14 weeks)
    NTW: 183k sales @ 14 weeks (360k to date)
    ETW: 315K @ 14 Weeks (760k to date)

Unfortunately, I can not easily locate M2TW to get a full range of sales when modding tools were still on the priority list. But, I can almost assure you, that CA needs US more than we need them, and to think otherwise was the point of my reply to the guy. Yes, maybe my cynicism took over, but you really did get nothing according to what the experienced modders are saying in this thread. Craig's hand was forced, like I said in another thread. They HAD to see the comtempt growing on these forums, and for good reason. I guess getting some XML files and the same sort of excuses any company will put out, "Oh, the engine is so complicated now" and the ever popular "We are so busy coding Rome 2 Total War, guys, you know you want it, right?" on the day of the "promised" release is good enough for some, that's fine, but to claim that Humble Warrior or anyone on the forums is the reason we don't have more support from CA is astoundingly ignorant.

And no hard feelings, I want the best out the series, hell I even bought the DLC for Shogun 2 (yet to play it). Not everyone sees the world in rose-colored glasses, mine are more -colored than most, I will admit.
    Last edited by Fuzzynut; July 01, 2011 at 12:08 AM.

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

No mod tools and the only thing that statement confirms is that....

A) they admit to shooting their mouths off about features and then wish us to believe that the features are just not achievable!?!? But it never stops em shouting about em during pre-release sales does it...?

B) For whatever reason there will never be mod tools, that much is certain now....

C) They will continue to dangle the carrot to up sales and keep the community hooked.

So in conclusion a big bag of nothing and another really well crafted statement to still try generate sympathy

...not cool.

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I agree 100% with Humble, you got nothing today!
    This is equivalent to the Docudemons release for M2TW which opened up all kinds of stuff. Now that variables are known, the scripting possibilities will explode, just as they did with M2. I may get into scripting this game myself now.

As has been mentioned NUMEROUS times throughout the thread, I guess you glossed over that because it didn't sing CA's praises, that most of these values have already been found if not more!
    How could someone find more than actually exists? This is the entire database dump, there is no more to be found there. Dont exaggerate.

Unfortunately, I can not easily locate M2TW to get a full range of sales when modding tools were still on the priority list.
    Which tools were those? The ones built by TWC members? I would like you to show me some that werent built by us.

Yes, maybe my cynicism took over, but you really did get nothing according to what the experienced modders are saying in this thread.
    I will count myself among the experienced modders, and I am telling you its much more than you think it is. But if you dont want to listen to me, then listen to the guys actually building the database tools:
    Quote Originally Posted by T.C. View Post
    I've updated about 15 tables so far (see thread in the workshop). I'd put that figure at nearer to 40%.

But, I can almost assure you, that CA needs US more than we need them, and to think otherwise was the point of my reply to the guy.
    Actually they dont. They could easily tell us to piss off. Even if they lost the sale of every single regular member on this forum, which they wouldnt, we are only talking a few thousand units and they are selling more than 300k per release according to your own numbers. Losing every member of this forum would cost them 1% of their user base at most. Compare that to the time and the amount of BS they get from some of you guys and they might consider it a fair trade.

Craig's hand was forced, like I said in another thread. They HAD to see the comtempt growing on these forums, and for good reason.
    Of course they see it. They also see some of the unfair statements, and the outright hostility from a bunch of people that have no idea what goes into producing a game. Criticism is one thing, insulting is another and the outright hostility is over the top.

to claim that Humble Warrior or anyone on the forums is the reason we don't have more support from CA is astoundingly ignorant.
    Actually it isnt. Every single time one of them posts here, about anything at all, they get bombarded with ridiculous statements, called liars and everything else people figure they can get away with using tricky wording to get around the ToS. If every time you posted people came down on you, you wouldnt want to be here much either.

mine are more -colored than most, I will admit.
    Well you finally said something I can agree with.

I too am disappointed that we cant do more with the map, although I have been told it is possible even without tools, its just a hard nut to crack. I spent some time looking at this, but not a lot. There are some guys working on it still. Hopefully we can get some official help in this area, but if every time they come and post here they have to read through 2 pages of to get to something done, then they will post less often. Its human nature.

Yes CA has dropped the ball a few times, but now that they actually came forward with something, just say thank you and move on. And then politely ask for something else. The diatribe is out of line.

PAck File Manager....the community had to do it ...and you couldnt?
    I too am disappointed that we cant do more with the map, although I have been told it is possible even without tools, its just a hard nut to crack. I spent some time looking at this, but not a lot. There are some guys working on it still. Hopefully we can get some official help in this area, but if every time they come and post here they have to read through 2 pages of to get to something done, then they will post less often. Its human nature.
    we made 80 maps for MP and you gave us 4 more in a DLC?

Why couldnt you release those files 2 days after the game instead after 2 years...it took you 24 month to compile them?

Sorry Craig...you guys make fairly good games, but this is just a laugh.

Sorry
    Last edited by [N]Fullin; July 01, 2011 at 01:21 AM.

Thanks, maybe now the mods for ETW and NTW will Resnesans.

The community can decide how to spend its own time, being free time. When you're working on somebody's dime, it's a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazbones View Post
    Well, with all this data all CA needs to do now is scrap the ETW/NTW/TWS2 map system and go with something simpler and we'll have all the mod tools we ever wanted in no time at all!

I mean seriously, (In its current state) I don't give two flaps what is happening on the campaign map anyways. All the cherry blossums, bamboo and waterfalls can go... a simple white texture over the map will suffice as a winter map, a tan texture for fall, greenery for spring and something suitable for summer is all they need to replace the complex weather patterns, time of day, etc. on the map now. So if they just dumbed it down and focused more to improve the battlefield maps and other aspects of the game (family tree, diplomacy, reinforcements, etc), for me that would be awesome.

. . . because it's the textures that make things complicated, and not diplomacy and family trees and all the other mechanics like that? I must have missed all those db files dedicated to displaying bamboo and waterfalls.