Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the mod dead?

Default Is the mod dead?

Is someone still working about this mod?

dragonsign's Avatar International Brigade

Default Re: Is the mod dead?

yes, but it is very hollyday season right now, and we lack a coder, that sucks :/

Tiro

And when will the approximate time of issue?

EVYATAR's Avatar EvyatarNevoDesign

Quote Originally Posted by TheBest View Post
    Is someone still working about this mod?
    all of the team quit.....i am the 2D artist of the mod and i still make some 2D.
    but the mod need new member.... quickly .
    Last edited by EVYATAR; July 26, 2011 at 09:49 AM.
    R.I.P Blackomur | The Shadow of Ishtar | Proud to be israeli
    My Tutorial | My Workshop | I.A.F Web | 2D Artist & Skinner

Libertus

hey guys do you have a mapper?

isn't there an Israeli forum of total war? maybe they would be interested in this mod since this is probably the only mod that would represent jews or israel even though historically it is kind of sketchy since most of your sources are from the bible and the bible is not really known to be very objective or accurate in its descriptions, alas i was looking forward of decimating all nations as Persia.

Venia's Avatar Auxilium meum a Domino

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    isn't there an Israeli forum of total war? maybe they would be interested in this mod since this is probably the only mod that would represent jews or israel even though historically it is kind of sketchy since most of your sources are from the bible and the bible is not really known to be very objective or accurate in its descriptions, alas i was looking forward of decimating all nations as Persia.
    this is also posted on an israeli forum,
    the descripions from the previews are short because its a preview
    We'll have longer descriptions in the mod ( if it ever comes ut, but thats another story)
    and yes we do use the bible as source but only if there aren't any other sources.
    there was some discussionm about this but we promise to make it an historical mod, not a religious mod.
    Last edited by Venia; May 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
    SOI skinner/video maker/moderator
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1496,

Tiro

Hi, what is the date of release? And are they still working on it? Thanks

Venia's Avatar Auxilium meum a Domino

Quote Originally Posted by kubo4747 View Post
    Hi, what is the date of release? And are they still working on it? Thanks
    work has currently seized because of the lack of manpower
    SOI skinner/video maker/moderator
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1496,

Quote Originally Posted by sirvinniei View Post
    we promise to make it an historical mod, not a riligious mod.

Notice how religious mods like Broken Crescent are highly accurate, history-wise. That's because the modders themselves being very religious, try to make it as accurate as possible. Instead of people who aren't even historians themselves.

Yes the hyper religious always make history their top concern, like how they always demand a Jewish faction in mods that take place when the entire middle east was run by Macedonians. I'd be less indignant were I you. The promise to make it historical first is not a bad thing, in fact it will determine whether or not I enjoy the mod... if it is ever finished. I'm currently looking for a mod that takes place in the late bronze early iron age. I want to dominate the world as a proper eastern potentate, either an Assyrian, Egyptian, or Minoan, and the last thing I want are absurdly hyped biblical factions who blitz the entire map because their fans wanted them to.

Incidentally I hope this mod is finished, I really want to play Assyria.
    "Midway upon the journey of our life
    I found myself within a forest dark,
    For the straightforward pathway had been lost." Dante Alighieri

Got to throw in with Giuliano on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Giuliano Taverna View Post
    I want to dominate the world as a proper eastern potentate, either an Assyrian, Egyptian, or Minoan, and the last thing I want are absurdly hyped biblical factions who blitz the entire map because their fans wanted them to.
    Well to be honest, it would be more than a little unrealistic for Israel or Judah to "blitz" the map. The Bible is very clear that neither nation was able to stand on their own without God's protection. Under both Omri and Ahab, Israel was a significant member of an anti-Assyrian coalition which was temporarily successful in halting Westward expansion but even that was only because they had allies. Once their allies were gone, they were toast. Likewise, Judah only survived against Sennacherib's assault because Hezekiah payed an enormous tribute. The fact that the Assyrian army was subsequently decimated by a plague while besieging Jerusalem certainly helped but I think it was the tribute that allowed Sennacherib to claim victory and not merely raise another army to finish the job.

Certainly there are those that want a what-if experience but I agree that historical accuracy should be the focus.

Harith's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Giuliano Taverna View Post
    I want to dominate the world as a proper eastern potentate, either an Assyrian, Egyptian, or Minoan, and the last thing I want are absurdly hyped biblical factions who blitz the entire map because their fans wanted them to.

Incidentally I hope this mod is finished, I really want to play Assyria.
    Yeah, I hope when they make up stuff its proper. Otherwise, they should use the available resources not the bible and equip the army with angels, demons and David as an immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by Harith View Post
    Yeah, I hope when they make up stuff its proper. Otherwise, they should use the available resources not the bible and equip the army with angels, demons and David as an immortal.
    If these are your concerns, you should look at the the troop previews. There has already been a preview for Judah that should answer those concerns.

Just a side note, I would consider the Bible to be one of those available resources. It contains some of the only historical documents remaining from the period and (as demonstrated by the Dead Sea Scrolls) has maintained an incredible accuracy to it's original text over thousands of years. In fact, there is far better evidence for the reliability of the Bible than for the writings of Homer, Julius Caesar, and Tacitus combined but nobody questions the reliability of their accounts. The fact that archaeology has largely confirmed the non-prophetic portions of the text gives it even stronger credibility. I do not believe that there should be angels and demons in this mod and David would have been dead for many years by the time of the start date but to outright dismiss something because it has religious ties seems rather short-sighted.

I am not trying to start a big debate but I get tired of people parroting generalized statements that they heard from someone else without doing some research themselves.
    Last edited by Bregil; May 26, 2015 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Fixing an annoying typo

yes but then again it is a very, very bad and inaccurate description of the events. for example in the bible says the jews ran away from Egypt and it speaks of cataclysmic events and death of a pharaoh at sea but the Egyptians don't even frigging mention this, no influx of mass refugees, no pharaoh running after them and etc.

the bibles histrionically accuracy and its legitimacy is like the game Telephone, the initial phrase is "would like a cheeseburger" and the end phrase is "Martians live in Hapsburg"

Icon14 Re: Is the mod dead?

Before I respond, I want to state plainly and unequivocally I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. If someone is offended by my arguments, I am sorry.

yes but then again it is a very, very bad and inaccurate description of the events. for example in the bible says the jews ran away from Egypt and it speaks of cataclysmic events and death of a pharaoh at sea but the Egyptians don't even frigging mention this, no influx of mass refugees, no pharaoh running after them and etc.
    First, Exodus states that Pharaoh's army was covered by the waters. It makes no mention of the pharaoh's fate. Given that the Bible lists the names and fates of many other enemy rulers that were killed (even when it happened in distant country), this is significant. The implication would seem to be that he, in fact, did not die with the others.

Second, Given that most of the surviving records left by ancient Egyptians are celebrating the accomplishments of a pharoah's reign. Is it really surprising that something catastrophic like that is not mentioned?

There is precedent of pharaohs trying to eradicate all evidence of their predecessor. Look up Hatshepsut and Akhenaten if you want specific examples. They both had most of their records destroyed with their successors going so far as to have their likenesses chiseled off of monuments. If the Egyptians were willing to remove a supposed divine ruler from the historical record, why is is so hard to believe that they would be reluctant to record such calamitous events in the first place. Particularly when, if they occurred as the Bible depicts, would have thoroughly discredited both the Egyptian gods (and subsequently, eroded their priests power) and the pharaoh's claim to be divine. The fact that Hatshepsut's grandson, Amenhotep II (who continued his father's work of eradicating her legacy) is believed by some scholars to be the pharaoh mentioned in Exodus is even more supportive of this argument. As he had already changed history once, why not do it again?

In this time period, most of the country was illiterate. Those that could read and write (primarily the priests and the royal court) would have a vested interest in making this debacle go away as it could have undermined their power and prestige.
    the bibles histrionically accuracy and its legitimacy is like the game Telephone, the initial phrase is "would like a cheeseburger" and the end phrase is "Martians live in Hapsburg"
    How do you compare it to Telephone? Whether or not the original story was accurate, there is plenty of evidence to prove the the text of the Bible has remained virtually unchanged for thousands of years. The discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls rocked the archaeological community both because they were dated to between 150 BCE and 70 CE and, when compared to what was then known as the oldest existing copy (dated to the 10th century,) they were remarkably similar. The fact that they maintained that level of accuracy over more than a thousand years would tend to debunk the Telephone analogy.

As I stated in my previous post, there is more evidence for the Bible's legitimacy as a historical document than all other ancient documents combined. I've attached a couple charts to compare the historicity of some ancient authors compared only with the copies of Old Testament books found at Qumran (the Dead Sea Scrolls.) As you can see, there is greater attestation for the Old Testament as a whole than for the writings of all these authors combined. Additionally, the book of Exodus (which contains the story we were discussing above) has more copies than all of the authors except Tacitus and Sophocles.

Look at Julius Caesar, there's about a 1,000 year gap between his death and the oldest known copy of his writings yet no one denies that, apart from some creative spin, the campaigns took place largely as they are written. If his writings can be trusted, why not the Bible?

Finally, your argument is covering the period of the Exodus which is took place more than 500 years before the time period covered in this mod. In the period of the Divided Kingdom, there is substantial corroborating evidence from surrounding nations for many of the events the Bible records. They may not always agree completely (case in point, Sennacherib and Hezekiah) but the end story (every city in Judah except Jerusalem sacked and the Assyrian withdrawal) is the same.

I am not advocating that we try to recreate the biblical account in this mod, I am merely suggesting that individuals who are of the opinion that the Bible should not be taken seriously as a historical document should study all the evidence and, if they feel that the evidence does not match up with their existing position, possibly revise their conclusion.

EDIT: This debate, while good, is seriously derailing this thread. If people wish to continue it, I am more than willing to do so however we should probably find another venue. Whether that is a new thread in this sub-forum (provided the developers are ok with it) or in the Ethos, Mores et Monastica section does not matter to me just please let me know what location is preferred.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Bregil; September 14, 2011 at 12:54 AM.

Wouldn't it be funny if the Bible was telling the truth, and you're just full of ?

DevrimJan's Avatar Semisalis

So you believe the Bible is true, huh?
    My rig.

Gainward GTX 570
    Intel Core i-7 Sandybridge 2600K
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro Z68 Motherboard
    8GB RAM
    2TB Hardrive
    850W Corsair PSU

Ok, this thread is over.
    My list of most anticipated mods:

Wouldn't it be funny if the Bible was telling the truth, and you're just full of ?
    That would be hilarious, but then again the Bible isn't telling "the truth" so he's on the safe side of it.

Now as things are taking place maybe we should move this to "Public Research" and debate the Bible as a historical source and document, rather than drive this thread off-topic no matter how interesting our discussion is.

My own view of it is that the Bible is a historical document BUT it isn't something that can just be read like that and be expected to deliver an objective of what actually happened. Primarily the Bible is in my eyes a theological text that concerns itself with theological issues and does for not take much interest in economical factors that can explain many decisions. I would think they have a more selective approach to historical events.

As I personally think that the Bible was writen roughly about the time it concern, after the foundation of Israel, I think that much of it can give an inclination about what happend but you shouldn't just read and belive everything that's writen in it. For once its peppered with supernatural events which cannot be proved and which seems to have left very little evidence for itself outside of the Bible and which I therefor will discard. I also take skeptical view of people living pre-kingdom. For once I do not believe that Abraham existed, nor Noah and probably not Moses. But I will however agree that Solomon and David existed, even if I do not for a single time believe that David's kingdom was as great as the Bible claims, nor that Israel's military history was its long and almost unbroken line of brilliant victories.

The truth probably lies somewhere outside of the Bible, but the Bible can be used to give some light on at least aspects of Hebrew society and history for the concerned period.

This will probably aggrevate alot of people, but fire away!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast