Thread: The mystery of town wealth

Default The mystery of town wealth

I've been researching a lot about the town wealth levels (very poor, poor, growing, prosperous, wealthy) and what affects them.

FACTS:
    - Every town and every port has a wealth level, that ranges from very poor to wealthy.
    - It affects the amount of direct wealth that a factory, a fishing or a trade port contributes to the region, but not the wealth growth it provides to the region.
    - It can vary somehow through time (always improving), but it's not clearly known how it does.
    - A town/port wealth level can be observed directly, depending of the kind of houses that surrounds it (it's easier to notice in western culture towns: wealthy ones have tall blue buildings while growing has brown ones and poor have grey ones). Regional capitals (proper "cities" where you build military buildings and such) have also surrounding houses but it's purely aesthetic, it doesn't vary through time and doesn't affect anything.

SPECULATION:
    - Most theories revolve around accumulative town growth from factories, ports, roads and enlightenment. However this is pretty much discarded by most experiments.
    - It's probable that taxes exemption affects positively town wealth level.
    - It's very probable that ports wealth level doesn't vary over time.
    - There's a very interesting theory proposed by an user of another forum called TKwarrior17, and I consider it the most accurate one:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    EUREKA! I think I've found the answer to the old mystery!

All towns have to be equal in a given territory, including ports. Basically anything with the very poor, poor, growing, prosperous, and wealthy descriptions.

Take a look at Prussian territories (my favorite country). In Brandenburg you have Potsdam at prosperous, Magdeburg at growing, and Rostock is growing. In East Prussia Tilsit is prosperous and Tannenburg is poor. By your second turn, Tilsit and Tannenburg become wealthy however, while the towns in Brandenburg do not change. This is because Rostock is still growing, and since it is a port it will be growing the entire game. Therefore, the other two towns cannot grow in wealth.

Now, let's look at late game Prussia. Assuming you control all German territories, let's go back to our original two territories (and a couple others). You will notice all towns in Brandenburg are either growing or prosperous, which is a result of Rostock still being in the state of "growing". In East Prussia, Memel is very poor and has been since it emerged. Let's now turn our attention to West Prussia. Elblag, east of Gdansk, is wealthy. Poznan and Bydgoszcz, however, are both poor and will stay poor for the remainder of the game. This is because Gdynia, the port, emerged before those two towns and has not increased in wealth past very poor.

Look at all other German non-coastal territories. All towns in Rhineland, Alsace-Lorraine, Wurttemburg, Bavaria, Bohemia, Silesia, Saxony, and Hannover are wealthy. This is because either 1) the towns emerged before the ports, or 2) they do not have any ports. An example of number one is Hannover. Cuxhaven often does not emerge until after Hamburg and Braunschweig are already wealthy.

Now, let's look at Muscovy and compare it to Spain. Both territories have an equal number of towns, but Spain has four ports, two of which are already emerged and "growing" at the beginning of the game. Zoom to late-game Muscovy/Spain. All Muscovy towns are wealthy, while all Spanish towns are either growing or prosperous.

Let's look at Ottoman territories now. Take a gander at just Rumelia and Anatolia. Thessaloniki in Rumelia is prosperous. All towns in Rumelia stop growing at prosperous and never reach wealthy status. In Anatolia, you have two ports and both are very poor. No Anatolian town ever gains higher than poor status. Take a peek at Greece; Ionannina in northwestern Greece often reaches wealthy status if Heraklion takes too long to emerge. But once Heraklion does emerge, Larissa (which emerges after Heraklion) never grows past poor because Heraklion stays very poor.

Want more proof?

Look at India. In Mysore, every town is wealthy. That is because the port does not emerge until very late in the game. In Bengal, the Port of Calcutta is very poor. So, all towns in Bengal remain poor or very poor for the entire game. But, move inland for a moment. All towns in Hyderabad, Ragpur, Malwa, Rajput, Punjab, Hindustan, and Kashmir are wealthy by late game. What do they all have in common? Or rather, what do they all NOT have in common? A poor port!

I used to think that ports are where the base of your wealth comes from. Trade is, to an extent, very good to your income. However, poor ports can seriously hamper internal growth. Great Britain for example, has a wealthy and poor port to begin with in England, a growing port in Scotland, and a growing port in Ireland. No town in the British Isles ever exceeds prosperous status.

So, in conclusion, I have found the answer. But not the solution. It's somewhat bittersweet. We will never be able to cure the "port curse".

- In conclusion: if your region has a port and that port is wealthy, your towns in that region can become wealthy. If the port in the region is very poor, the highest your towns can get is poor. If the towns exist before the port emerges, the towns can become wealthy on their own. This theory explains perfectly several things:

• German, Huron, Indian territories and Moscow towns ALWAYS end up wealthy. What do they have in common? Either no ports, or ports that emerge after every other town, thus allowing them to improve their wealth level.
    • Anatolia, Spain, France and other regions with a poor port can never have wealthy towns unless the already have that wealth level.

But we still don't know how to increase ports wealth level (though it seems impossible: after 40 years of tax exemption and several buildings Georgia haven't improved its port wealth). I suppose it'd be nice if some CA members could shed some light on this

Default Re: The mystery of town wealth

Hey, it's not that complicated. In Startpos/Campaign_Env/ Campaign_model/World/Region_Manager/Region_Slot_array/region/region_slot_manager/Region_slot_array/region_slot_array/region_slot, the the 8th entry down from the top of the DB table, is a number 1-5, that number is the towns wealth. 5=Wealthy 4=Prosperous 3=Growing 2=average 1=poor This also true of things like resources (yield) but i think it's the 7th entry in that case.

If you really want more wealth, change it in your savegame. Easy as that.

...yeah, but that feels like cheating. I want to know the actual mechanism of town wealth levels.

Yeah, i guess. But I feel cheated enough by CA on Empire Total war (and then Napoleon!) that i don't care. And i don't feel like exempting a region for 40+ turns just to change a word in parentheses that doesn't make a huge difference anyway. That just me.

Quote Originally Posted by xxon View Post
    I've been researching a lot about the town wealth levels (very poor, poor, growing, prosperous, wealthy) and what affects them.

FACTS:
    - Every town and every port has a wealth level, that ranges from very poor to wealthy.
    - It affects the amount of direct wealth that a factory, a fishing or a trade port contributes to the region, but not the wealth growth it provides to the region.
    - It can vary somehow through time (always improving), but it's not clearly known how it does.
    - A town/port wealth level can be observed directly, depending of the kind of houses that surrounds it (it's easier to notice in western culture towns: wealthy ones have tall blue buildings while growing has brown ones and poor have grey ones). Regional capitals (proper "cities" where you build military buildings and such) have also surrounding houses but it's purely aesthetic, it doesn't vary through time and doesn't affect anything.

SPECULATION:
    - Most theories revolve around accumulative town growth from factories, ports, roads and enlightenment. However this is pretty much discarded by most experiments.
    - It's probable that taxes exemption affects positively town wealth level.
    - It's very probable that ports wealth level doesn't vary over time.
    - There's a very interesting theory proposed by an user of another forum called TKwarrior17, and I consider it the most accurate one:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    EUREKA! I think I've found the answer to the old mystery!

All towns have to be equal in a given territory, including ports. Basically anything with the very poor, poor, growing, prosperous, and wealthy descriptions.

Take a look at Prussian territories (my favorite country). In Brandenburg you have Potsdam at prosperous, Magdeburg at growing, and Rostock is growing. In East Prussia Tilsit is prosperous and Tannenburg is poor. By your second turn, Tilsit and Tannenburg become wealthy however, while the towns in Brandenburg do not change. This is because Rostock is still growing, and since it is a port it will be growing the entire game. Therefore, the other two towns cannot grow in wealth.

Now, let's look at late game Prussia. Assuming you control all German territories, let's go back to our original two territories (and a couple others). You will notice all towns in Brandenburg are either growing or prosperous, which is a result of Rostock still being in the state of "growing". In East Prussia, Memel is very poor and has been since it emerged. Let's now turn our attention to West Prussia. Elblag, east of Gdansk, is wealthy. Poznan and Bydgoszcz, however, are both poor and will stay poor for the remainder of the game. This is because Gdynia, the port, emerged before those two towns and has not increased in wealth past very poor.

Look at all other German non-coastal territories. All towns in Rhineland, Alsace-Lorraine, Wurttemburg, Bavaria, Bohemia, Silesia, Saxony, and Hannover are wealthy. This is because either 1) the towns emerged before the ports, or 2) they do not have any ports. An example of number one is Hannover. Cuxhaven often does not emerge until after Hamburg and Braunschweig are already wealthy.

Now, let's look at Muscovy and compare it to Spain. Both territories have an equal number of towns, but Spain has four ports, two of which are already emerged and "growing" at the beginning of the game. Zoom to late-game Muscovy/Spain. All Muscovy towns are wealthy, while all Spanish towns are either growing or prosperous.

Let's look at Ottoman territories now. Take a gander at just Rumelia and Anatolia. Thessaloniki in Rumelia is prosperous. All towns in Rumelia stop growing at prosperous and never reach wealthy status. In Anatolia, you have two ports and both are very poor. No Anatolian town ever gains higher than poor status. Take a peek at Greece; Ionannina in northwestern Greece often reaches wealthy status if Heraklion takes too long to emerge. But once Heraklion does emerge, Larissa (which emerges after Heraklion) never grows past poor because Heraklion stays very poor.

Want more proof?

Look at India. In Mysore, every town is wealthy. That is because the port does not emerge until very late in the game. In Bengal, the Port of Calcutta is very poor. So, all towns in Bengal remain poor or very poor for the entire game. But, move inland for a moment. All towns in Hyderabad, Ragpur, Malwa, Rajput, Punjab, Hindustan, and Kashmir are wealthy by late game. What do they all have in common? Or rather, what do they all NOT have in common? A poor port!

I used to think that ports are where the base of your wealth comes from. Trade is, to an extent, very good to your income. However, poor ports can seriously hamper internal growth. Great Britain for example, has a wealthy and poor port to begin with in England, a growing port in Scotland, and a growing port in Ireland. No town in the British Isles ever exceeds prosperous status.

So, in conclusion, I have found the answer. But not the solution. It's somewhat bittersweet. We will never be able to cure the "port curse".

- In conclusion: if your region has a port and that port is wealthy, your towns in that region can become wealthy. If the port in the region is very poor, the highest your towns can get is poor. If the towns exist before the port emerges, the towns can become wealthy on their own. This theory explains perfectly several things:

• German, Huron, Indian territories and Moscow towns ALWAYS end up wealthy. What do they have in common? Either no ports, or ports that emerge after every other town, thus allowing them to improve their wealth level.
    • Anatolia, Spain, France and other regions with a poor port can never have wealthy towns unless the already have that wealth level.

But we still don't know how to increase ports wealth level (though it seems impossible: after 40 years of tax exemption and several buildings Georgia haven't improved its port wealth). I suppose it'd be nice if some CA members could shed some light on this
    I think you are right about ports nerfing town wealth. All the landlocked towns become wealthy. Do you figure the wealth of emerging towns can be increased before they emerge? I play as Britain. I wonder if I slow Liverpool's emergence if I can make it emerge as wealthy? They should fix this.

Nope, all emerging towns and port starts as very poor. Towns can grow to rich if it's a landlocked region, but ports stay very poor forever, gimping town wealth growth.

Summary's Avatar Biarchus

I have to disagree with the OP. Town wealth has nothing to do with the trading ports. In fact trading ports are economical one of the best buildings for harbours in game for three reasons.

1.) Trading ports has a region wealth gain of around 150-300 gold (regional wealth) per upgrade.
    2.) Trading ports help to connect a region isolated from your Capital. This means all the resources generated in that regions such as cotton, tea, coffee, spices, etc. will be trade able. This is a hidden asset that you will realize if you keep checking your trade income before and after building the trading port.
    3.) Trading ports has a +1 increment or more to town wealth per turn.

To understand town wealth you have to understand the economy of the game.
    There are quite a number of guides on these but to summarize in as short a statement as possible:

There are two major sources of income Tax and Trade:

1.) Tax is income generated from the regional populace and their income known as regional wealth. Tax is not equal to regional wealth but is a percentile of the regional wealth. Regional wealth is a fixed amount the region yields every turn. Tax is a portion of that you claim from the region based on the two slider settings (i.e upper class and lower class taxation level sliders).
    2.) Trade is the income generated from the resources of the land. That is if you mouse-over a resource in the land such as a cotton plantation, it will show you the quantity of the commodity being generated and this value multiplied with the price of that commodity will result in trade value. However, without a trading port these goods cannot be transported to the Capital unless there is a connection via land.

Now the question is how to increase your income? You need to target these two income sources.

1.) Trade can be boosted through several methods:

a.) Make more trade agreements, the more nations you can trade with the more you can export and the more you earn.
    b.) Make ports in regions that do not have a land route to your Capital to ensure that all the resource generated in that region is trade able.
    c.) Go to the four trade theatres and use your trade ships to create trade routes by placing them on the trade node (beware of competition from rivalling factions and pirates). The best is to try an establish a monopoly in ivory namely in the Madagascar strait and the West African region as this is the only way ivory can be retrieved. Establishing a monopoly shifts the price of the commodity in your favour not to mention the increased trade productivity from dominated all the trade nodes in both theatres.
    d.) Buildings that generate trade able goods.
    2.) Tax can be boosted through several methods also:
    a.) Increase the sliders to gain more taxes from the local populace (be careful to maintain happiness levels). This is a short term benefit method often best applied when you need immediate gold to fund an imminent war/conquest.
    b.) Increasing the region wealth and population. (several ways as explained below). This is a long term benefit that will help you reap the most from even the lowest tax slider settings.

Now how to increase the region wealth?
    1.) Buildings increases region wealth. Trading ports, Facilities built directly on resources (Tea and Coffee Plantations, Gold and Silver Mines, etc.) and other economical town buildings (Cotton textiles, Blacksmith facilities, etc.) increase the regional wealth every year in the form of gold that is taxable.
    2.) Increase the town wealth. This is the long term benefit perspective for tax gain by increasing region wealth.

And so we have reached our final question of them all. How to increase town wealth?
    Yes town wealth is "increasable" if that is even a word!!
    1.) Buildings increases town wealth. Roads (Infrastructure), Trading ports, and other economical town buildings (Cotton textiles, Blacksmith facilities, etc.) provide an increment to town wealth per turn.
    2.) Technology upgrades in the Philosophy tree provide an increment to town wealth per turn.
    3.) Decreasing the tax sliding of the wealthy class. Yes! If the nobility aren't heavily taxed the region wealth soon increases and then you will see towns that were previously poor, very poor progress to growing, then prosperous, then wealthy. Once this is achieved in all towns and ports in your region there is no longer a need to keep the tax for the wealthy on low and you will reap the benefits of high taxes as this will increase the regional wealth gained by each of these towns, ports that is taxable.

I forgot to mention how to increase the population.
    1.) Decrease the taxation sliders for the lower class so that the population growth happens quickly, you basically need this until all the towns and ports in your cities develop. Exemption from tax can speed this process even further.
    2.) Buildings such as Farms and Fishing ports can boost the population growth and Technology that upgrades Farms and Fishing ports.

Try this: If you exempt tax on all your regions on the 1st turn, none of your towns will suddenly turn to wealthy with or without port. However, on the other hand if you don't exempt tax, all towns in landlocked regions will strangely turn into wealthy for no apparent reason. This is most apparent if you play as Poland. Town wealth is super weird and that is all I can say.

here is how to make port grow, and thus all towns even at coast
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...%29&highlight=
    My 6 2nd rates routed in horror from 1 brig + 1 5th rate on auto-resolve....

IM from cA