Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to change a factions accent to an already existing accent on the campaign map

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Default How to change a factions accent to an already existing accent on the campaign map

How to change a factions accent to an already existing accent on the campaign map. - by IZob

Tutorial description:
    This tutorial demonstrates how to change the accent of an existing faction in your mod, with another existing accent. For example: making your faction use the Scottish accent, instead of the English accent.

Note this tutorial dose not cover how to create a new accent.
    This tutorial is compatible only for mods that run off:
    Kingdoms version 1.5
    hence in a mod folder.
    It assumes you have some knowledge of modding in Medieval II total War.
    Introduction:
    Hello modders of TWC! Until now, knowledge on changing the accents of factions was unfortunately sparse and non existent. It was an issue that plagued me and many other members for some time. Was it not that I stumbled on another members step-by-step guide in a comment on the last page of a post, that I found out how to change the accents following this members solution (alas It is not me that figured this out). But I felt that it was my duty to save the suffering of others and properly inform them of this procedure.
    Whats our goal here?:
    Using an accent from Vanilla (Medieval II total war), we are going to use one of these accents and give it to one of our own factions in our own mod. You could do this for multiple factions at once if you wanted.

The accents in Vanilla (Medieval II total war) in bold:
    Code:
    accent English
     factions england, normans, saxons
    accent Scottish
     factions scotland
    accent French
     factions france
    accent German
     factions hre
    accent Mediterranean
     factions milan, venice, sicily, papal_states, byzantium, spain, portugal, slave
    accent East_European
     factions russia, poland, hungary, denmark
    accent Arabic
     factions turks, moors, egypt
    accent Mongolian
     factions mongols, timurids, 
    accent Native
     factions aztecs
    You can view this in your own descr_sounds_accents.txt file (see attachment at bottom of post).
    A few notes for the .dat and .idx files:
    .idx files act as a map while the .dat files act as a sound folder. The .dat files store the sounds for your mod, based on if you are using custom music and/or vanilla sounds. The .idx files are "map" files, that tell the game where to look for the custom sound files and/or if to use any vanilla sound files.

When ever you want to change the sounds, music, accents in your mod, you will have to regenerate the .dat and .dix files. Every time the game regenerates the .dat and .idx files, its uses the information in the sound text files and gathers mp3 sounds from within your mods sounds folder and/or the medieval II total war folder.

If you do not edit the sound .txt files, then the .dat and .dix files will remain the same, even if regenerated.

Lets begin the tutorial (How to change a factions accent to an already existing accent on the campaign map):
    The Step-by-Step guide:

Step 1:
    • Download the Sound Text File.rar attachment at the bottom of this post.
    • Place this file insider your <mymodnamefolder>/data folder.
    • Extract the files so they are inside the data folder Backup: (note: if you are editing a mod, or have done any modding on your on sound files (such as the descr_sounds_music.txt file), then I suggest you backup all of the sound files in your mod and reconfigure them for your mod when this tutorial is finished. Also keep in mind, you will need to regenerate the event .dat and .idx files when this is finished. If your mod has custome sounds, you will need to obtain those sounds (they must be in mp3 format) and add them to your mod at the same time as you add this accent. This is for when regenerating the .dat and .idx files. See the appropiate tutorial for adding specific sound files (adding music, new accents, other sounds).

Step 2:
    • Open descr_sounds_accents.txt. The file has been set to read-only. You will need to un-tick this in the files properties (right click on the file, click properties).
    • You will see accents (English, French, Scottish...etc) and factions england, normans, france, etc.. Place your faction name under the accent you desire to use. For example I was adding wales to my mod and wanted them to use the English accent (to save space). So I placed wales under the english accent. (Note: Do not use capitals for faction names, and take note of the commas ',').

Code:
    accent English
     factions england, wales, normans, saxons
    Step 3:
    • Save descr_sounds_accents.txt.
    • Close the file.
    • Right click on the file, click properties, set the file to read-only on.

Step 4:
    • Open the vanilla Medieval II Total War/data/sounds folder.
    • Copy all of the files (Note: you may need to unpack medieval II total war to find these files) in the sounds folder and paste them into your mods sounds folder located <mymodnamefolder>/data/sounds. Replace, delete or move the older files if necessary. Don't worry, we can later delete some of these copied files when this tutorial is complete.

Step 5:
    • Delete the events.dat and events.idx files in your <mymodnamefolder>/data/sounds folder (yes, the files you just copied in step 4). The Importance of this step is to make sure there are no event files inside the sounds folder. We want to make sure the game will generate the new event files with the right number of factions and their linked sound/music/accent text inside them.

Step 6:
    • Run the mod. If your mod crashes, maybe you haven't deleted the events files in step 5? Otherwise look up your error logs file.
    • Start a new campaign as the faction with the changed accent (in my example it would be Wales).
    • Wales should now be speaking english (as determined in step 2) and your faction should also be speaking the correct accent of your choice as well.

Step 7 (this is a optional step, deleting the files we don't need):
    • Open your <mymodnamefolder>/data/sounds folder.
    • All files except events.dat and events.idx can now be replaced or deleted. This will save space and/or allowing you to mod other areas in the sound department.
    • Run your mod again to test that your factions have the correct accents, sounds, music etc... Medieval II Total War will rebuild the necessary .dat and .idx files for your mod, based off the sound files inside the <mymodnamefolder>/data folder (the .dat and .idx files should now be much smaller in size).
    Your finished!
    "What about my modded music/sounds and new accents?" For new accents you should look at the 'new accent' tutorial (theres a link at top of this post). A new accent will require you to have your desired accent sound files at hand so you can add them in to your mod. The same go's with adding new music or sounds. You will need the files to put them back in to your new .dat and .idx files. You should see the appropiate tutorial for this.
    Accents on the battle field (not fully covered in this tutorial):
    Note: Changing the accent of a faction will not automatically give its troop units (in battle) the new accent. To make sure your faction is fully covered with its new accent, you will need to manually check over the:

- export_descr_sounds_soldier_voice.txt
    - export_descr_sounds_stratmap_voice.txt
    - export_descr_sounds_units_battle_events.txt
    - export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt
    files. (All included in the Sound Text files).

These files are generally understandable and easy to change.
    Again, when changing the sound files, you will need to regenerate the .dat and .idx files to have your changes take effect.
    I hope this tutorial has helped you as much as it has helped me. If you are still having any problems feel free to post your issue here. Feedback welcomed.

Special thanks to Mikaiu for sharing this information.
    Sounds text files also uploaded here, thanks to Lusted.
    Last edited by IZob; June 11, 2014 at 07:00 PM.
    Contact me on Steam: steamcommunity.com/id/IZob/ or send a PM.

Default Re: How to change the accent of a faction using vanilla accents

Great tutorial!
    Oh, for Heaven's sake, now you're being deliberately stupid.
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper
    Wudang why did you close the thread? Because you can't find a source refuting mine? LoL how's the quest to ban me going?

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Thanks. Tell me if it isnt working for you, I'll see what I can do to help.

Indebted. I would like to give you rep. I understand you didn't write it, but you were able to dig it up and presented it in understandable form. Well played.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

60 post I think and you can start giving rep to people Glad to be of help.
    Last edited by IZob; June 23, 2011 at 07:40 AM.

dmcraanen's Avatar Semisalis

Great tutorial Thanks for that. very simple and easy to follow. let's find some people who would like to record custom accents for me >: )

Default Re: How to change the voice accent of a factions characters

thanks for the tutorial, though it hasn't worked for me, I tried it 3 times now, following your steps, trying to do this on the Falcom: the Total Conquest mod, because it has some really weird audio mix ups in it, Russians sounding english, Mongols not sounding Mongol, etc, so I was trying to fix that myself, but that didn't pan out for me, except once, I got the taunting Jurchen soldiers to sound like Mongols (which is what I wanted) but they made no sound when I clicked on them, in that custom battle, same with the armies on the campaign map for a new Mongol campaign, the armies were silent upon clicking them, so I'm not sure what to do. planning to eventually try and use Mongol music from other TW's and such for the Mongols and Jurchens, and then the same appropriate kinds of stuff (different songs) for China and the Khmers if I can find them. but in short, I can't seem to return these factions to their rightful, or most fitting audio

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

That is due to the mongol accent being nearly non-existend, meaning that there are not that very many voices for that particular accent in vanilla.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

sure, that works to explain the campaign map, but it doesn't explain why they don't have their audio in battle, Mongols have audio in battle in vanilla just fine

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Have you gone through all the decsr_sounds and export_descr_sounds files comparing them with the vanilla ones?

I know exactly zero about dealing with sound files, but my goal is to finish a Sengoku mod of the samurai. I loathe the phony accents. I would much rather have the characters speak in their native language. If I use this program, can I substitute the voices by creating them myself as well as having a Japanese female do the Princess voices? If so, then I would be extremely happy. It means having to turn on the captions so people would understand them.

As there are so many battle speeches that are not authentic to the Sengoku period at all, then I wonder if I can only have 20 or so and have them repeat if someone wants to hear them? 20 should be more than enough.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    I know exactly zero about dealing with sound files, but my goal is to finish a Sengoku mod of the samurai. I loathe the phony accents. I would much rather have the characters speak in their native language. If I use this program, can I substitute the voices by creating them myself as well as having a Japanese female do the Princess voices? If so, then I would be extremely happy. It means having to turn on the captions so people would understand them.
    Yes, though I would recomend you to use this tutorial if so: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...e-a-new-accent
    and this: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...and-soundtheme

EDIT: Important here is that mods, using their own sounds not found in vanilla, will require you use an idx-extractor to unpack the .idx and .dat files so that you can recreate them later on with both the vanilla sounds and the mods sounds + your new additional.
    This tutorial do not include that and thus is not perfect for your intent.

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    As there are so many battle speeches that are not authentic to the Sengoku period at all, then I wonder if I can only have 20 or so and have them repeat if someone wants to hear them? 20 should be more than enough.
    Yes, you edit export_descr_sounds_units_battle_events.txt
    How to work with it ought to be obvious once you got a hang on the two above tutorials
    Last edited by Ngugi; May 11, 2013 at 06:50 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alě, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Yes, though I would recomend you to use this tutorial if so: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...e-a-new-accent
    and this: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...and-soundtheme

EDIT: Important here is that mods, using their own sounds not found in vanilla, will require you use an idx-extractor to unpack the .idx and .dat files so that you can recreate them later on with both the vanilla sounds and the mods sounds + your new additional.
    This tutorial do not include that and thus is not perfect for your intent.

Yes, you edit export_descr_sounds_units_battle_events.txt
    How to work with it ought to be obvious once you got a hang on the two above tutorials
    Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. You know even STW2 got the Japanese wrong!

Your avatar kind of freaks me out like the film Donny Darko.

I did everything however my dreadful general speaks as if he had no Chivalry nor Dread at all.

Default Re: How to change a factions accent to an already existing accent on the campaign map

Hi everyone, I have just discovered this very useful tutorial and I have successfully changed the accent in the strat map. But now in the battle all voices and effect have disappeared !

Anyone can help with some suggestion?
    Thanks.

Default Re: How to change a factions accent to an already existing accent on the campaign map

Quote Originally Posted by auc162 View Post
    Hi everyone, I have just discovered this very useful tutorial and I have successfully changed the accent in the strat map. But now in the battle all voices and effect have disappeared !

Anyone can help with some suggestion?
    Thanks.
    I find it strange that it's been almost 3 years and there doesn't appear to have been a response to your query. Sadly, I can't help. In fact, my problem is even worse:

Call it OCD or whatever; as, yes, I've always been compelled to put the factions in alphabetical order. I figured out how to do so and thought that I had successfully accomplished the task. That is until I noticed that the sounds were off now. My Hungarian Princess now has a Scottish accent (and even seems to think that she's from Scotland). Not good!

So, I found myself here and I was trying to fix things; but now I have no voices at all. So, I too need help and am open to any and all suggestions.

SK

PS. I fixed the No Sounds problem (as the voices weren't the only ones missing) by restoring the original sound files. But my Byzantines are speaking French, my Hungarians think their Scottish, etc. So, I still don't understand what their order has to do with it???

PS-2. (Yes, it should be PPS but I like this better) Anyway, I did find the solution; as, of course, it was an error on my part. I had the "descr_sounds_*.txt" files in the "sounds" directory and not the "data" directory. Moving those to the right directory and then deleting the "events.*" files did resolve the issue.
    Last edited by Knightforger; March 06, 2018 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Resolution Found

Wow! I stumbled across this while searching my name (to find an unrelated thread). I had no idea that random response I'd put in 9 years ago had solved such a persistent headache. I only vaguely recall writing it! I believe I was making a small mod for personal use that added in a fictional faction to the grand campaign, and it was one of the bumps along the way that caused me a ballache.

It was very generous of you to write it up, add context and share the solution. And thanks for the credit.
    Last edited by Mikaiu; September 24, 2018 at 08:08 PM.

Whenever I delete the events.dat and events.idx files, and then launch the game, those files are not recreated with all of the sounds in them. The game has opening movie sounds, but as soon as the menu loads, the chanting is missing. If I select a campaign, the button sounds are gone, and all of the sounds in the campaign are gone too, for every faction in the game, not just the one I added. When I close Medieval 2 and look at the files in the sound folder, I see that the events.dat and events.idx files have been regenerated but they have almost no data in them. They are tiny. Any idea what I might be doing, or not doing that could cause the game to fail to generate files with the sounds in them? I am using the Steam version of the game, and as I have noticed with text files, it does not seem to generate new text files if the old ones are deleted. I am wondering if the Steam version might have the same problem with sound files.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Have a look at my 'dev kit' and experiment a bit with it, see the example given. Please note that you need a full set of sound TXT files (40) to properly generate events files, even if you do not edit them.

The events set of files are simply the text files from the data directory combined into one file. Those are the instructions to play the sounds which themselves are in the other DAT\IDX sets. If the instructions are incorrect or the supporting sound files do not exist then no sound will play.

40 sound TXT files, you said? The download IZob provided only contains 39. I counted multiple times. Could that be my problem? I have no idea what might be missing from the download, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast