Thread: Historical Comics

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Default Historical Comics

I have recently found a great source of old Romanian historical comics, I've quite enjoyed them so thought i would share them. They are in Romanian but the images are quire self-explanatory and entertaining.

A comic from 1975 commemorating 500 years from the Moldavian victory against the Ottomans at the Battle of Vaslui

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Wallachian; June 18, 2011 at 08:33 AM.

Sir.Cojocarius's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Historical Comics

Nice comic and thread Wallachian!

Cheers. Im going to post more as i have time. Here is a long one about the Wallachian voivode Mircea the Elder called 'From the valley of Rovine'. The comic ends with the 1386 Battle of Rovine against the Ottomans.

I just like the concept of designed History, its great as vulgarisation, but where are the valachian boyars with italian stuff?
    Just some years after 1386, perhaps?
    This picture from your album, its a comic too?

No, that one from my album is from a recent historical book with illustrations for children illustrated by this guy here and written by this guy. As opposed to the comics that book has actually educational and historical value, with drawings based on research and monastery paintings.

The comics are old from the 1970s and 1980s, they don't make that sort of stuff anymore. Of course they have an entertaining rather then a historical value as such (im sure a voivode wouldn't walk around with the crown on his head all the time). But i admit i quite enjoy them. As i enjoyed the french ones you posted once. Do you have a link to a website for them? I have a moderate knowledge of french plus the simillar words from my language and the pictures so i understand them pretty well.

Here's one with armour for you From the late XVIth century

Last edited by Wallachian; June 18, 2011 at 10:07 AM.

In France we have plenty of excellent historical comics, badly some are hard to find, particulary the ones financed by the Régions(admin.entities). That focus about particular events of such or such region, Sometime a whole collection is created.

this is collection for the entire France, not a "Région". Don't take care to the cover, the designs are really nice into. Its sponsorised by Larousse, so very serious.
    Jeanne d'Arc:

Champs Catalauniques(Huns/Vandales versus coalised westerners )

SpyrosM91's Avatar Despotes

Attila, Aetius and Theodoric the Goth....i like it..(+rep)...
    Proud Tsardoms Total War: Historian - Coder - Scripter - Mapper

Very very nice +rep. Im starting to get more and more into these historical comics. Definetly like the design of the Francophone ones. I tried to follow the link from the comics but it says access denied

Here's another Romanian one from the '80s called 'The news carrier of Rovine' about a carrier eagle that brings the news of the victory at Rovine. It's worth mentioning tha the artist of the comic Sandu Florea has since become a drawer for Marvel, DC Comics and Dark Horse Comics.

Last edited by Wallachian; June 18, 2011 at 08:55 PM.

About bulgarian history there is a series called Rulers of Bulgaria

This is the comic about Tsardoms time(Ioan Alexander) Well actually it's more about Todor Svetoslav Terter

Here's the whole comic(it's in english as you can see):
    http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a71...an-Aleksandar/

Here are the others:

Asparukh http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a71...an%20Asparukh/

Tervel http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a71...Khan%20Tervel/

Krum http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a71...20Khan%20Krum/

Simeon http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a71...Tsar%20Simeon/

Petar http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a71...0Tsar%20Petar/

Samuil http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a71...Tsar%20Samuil/

Kaloyan http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a71...sar%20Kaloyan/

Yoan Asen http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a71...van-Asen%20II/

Ivailo http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a71...Tsar%20Ivailo/

Hope you enjoy them
    Last edited by Thinkerman; June 19, 2011 at 05:21 AM.
    Proud Tsardoms: Total war Concept Artist.

Best of my work for Tsardoms: TW [link]
    thinkerman.deviantart.com/

Whaat? It's in English? They're all in English! This is great! +rep What have you done to me, now im going to spend all my time reading these instead of studying for exams

Cool comics thinkerman, and they are in english so we all that do not belong to the bulgarian empire Can understand! +rep

Haha, I think you should rep NikeBG, cause he was the one who gave them to me and I think he translated them

SpyrosM91's Avatar Despotes

i can see that part of the comics team are NikeBG and Gogo_t....
    Proud Tsardoms Total War: Historian - Coder - Scripter - Mapper

You know what, I i did see the name 'Nike' in the link extension so it did occur to me that it might have been him who posted them. So how did he translate them? Because the text looks like it was there in the first place, doesn't look added or written over it. Or did he actually contribute to the making of the comic in english straight from the source?

I don't know, you should ask him. Here are the bulgarian versions http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a71...na%20Bulgaria/

"This is the comic about Tsardoms time(Ioan Alexander) Well actually it's more about Todor Svetoslav Terter "

That great, I quite enjoy this realism. Particulary, the queen and the patriarch are fascinating

To wallachian
    I'm forward to buy the book from Radu Oltean. The few pages I seen from this around here let me think its ally art and history.

cheers

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    The comics are old from the 1970s and 1980s, they don't make that sort of stuff anymore.
    Indeed. The style of the Romanian comics reminds me of the old (from around the same time) Bulgarian comic magazine Duga. Even their last edition starts with a story set in 1386 (click on the second-lower pic). Though, of course, Duga had a great variety of topics - from humouristic folk stories (of Clever Peter f.e.), through children's tales about animals, through sci-fi and criminal graphic novels, to ones about Bulgarian and foreign history (the Great Discoveries etc).
    While the modern ones you can see (the ones posted by Thinkerman) are quite a different style, sometimes far too... comic-bookish, IMO (the Tsar Petar and Tsar Ivailo ones f.e.) and there's only about 20 of them (10 about the medieval rulers and 10 about the haiduk voivodes fighting the Ottomans).

Actually its the same with the Romanian ones they come from a comic magazine from back in the day which had all sorts of comics from history, to sci-fi and stupid childrens' stories. Very simillar to the one in your link. But i correct myself, they do make these type of comics nowadays too (had no ideea). Here's a very recent one called the weakest soldier, again with Mircea. Just click on the image in the right side. Dunno what's up with the red and white heraldry of Mircea the Elder's shield though?? Not that historical.

Now that you're here can you tell us how you translated the Bulgarian ones? Did you work with the authors or did you do it by yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Rus-Bey View Post
    To wallachian
    I'm forward to buy the book from Radu Oltean. The few pages I seen from this around here let me think its ally art and history.

cheers
    Yes he is very dedicated to historical accuracy. I have a poster made by him in my room, it shows various knights and warriors drawn by him and next to them it has pictures of the monastery paintings he took inspiration from and explanations of why he depicted them as such. Probelm is that he is more interested in architecture, most of his work focuses on drawing reconstructions of medieval cities, buildings and castles. He does illustrate a couple of history books and i did want to buy them a few years ago but they were quite expensive for my pocket at the time.
    Last edited by Wallachian; June 20, 2011 at 06:56 AM.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    Now that you're here can you tell us how you translated the Bulgarian ones? Did you work with the authors or did you do it by yourself?
    Neither, at least not exactly. Gogo provided me with a template for the yellow/orange box, which I put over the original ones and then the texts on top of it (while the white balloons were easy for me on my own). And I had another friend proof-read my translations (he's a grammar Nazi like me and has as good, or even better, English than mine), though I see we've still missed a few typos and such. A bit harder was till I find a good image of the map used on the second pages (the credits) of the original version, as well as the parchment for the intro texts (for which I just used a completely different template altogether). And, of course, the covers had to stay on Bulgarian, since the texts were mingling with the pictures too much, but I think that's not much of a problem.
    Otherwise, I could say I've sort of "worked" with the intro-text author (Bozhidar Dimitrov) before, translating some chapters from one of his books to English and they said they might use them in the official English translation of that book, but I haven't really checked (and even if they did, it would surely have to have been edited quite much anyway). Then again, I was young then (over 5 years ago), while now I disagree with many of his theses (and even had to slightly "edit out" some too ridiculous things in my comic translations).
    Last edited by NikeBG; June 20, 2011 at 07:19 AM.

You deserve some rep for that as a thank you NikeBG!