Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: v1.3 - NTW Model Converter Now Released!

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Default Re: NTW Model Converter Beta

Maya > Max

But i would say blender for the simple fact that it is more available to the masses.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Bdizzle you use Maya right? So I say we get him to use that, as TGW will probably be the main user of this.

Patrician

Yeah i use maya but personally id still rather the plugin be made for an open source and cheap/free program then maya, maya is just to hard to get and very expensive

Import capacity is now at 95%. Next step - export

Hi,

good news - I was finally able to spend some more time on it again, and well, import is done (see screenshot). I'll finish it up a little, make the code more robust, and stuff... Expect a fully featured importer, tomorrow or on monday.

Cheers
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

And now comes the bit that nobody can ever seem to do. lol EXPORT!

I have faith with this guy though.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

That still looks like milkshape too :O.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedge Knight View Post
    That still looks like milkshape too :O.
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Seems like he's going to stick with MS until/if he hits an ultimate brick wall. It has the one major advantage that, as it's not being updated anymore, he'll never have to rebuild these plugins for future versions

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Patrician

I was working on my ww1 helmets last night to get them just right and now i see this today, makes me very happy guess i better get some more rifles ready as well

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Wait for the import if i were you , we got this far before remember .

Hi all,
    Got two emails during the night.

Hi, another teaser... multi-import of several meshes sharing one skeleton works - the model on the screenshot is a:
    - french cuirass shoulderpad
    - russion infantry pants
    - austrian bearhat
    - wellington head
    - some weird belt
    - cossack torso
    ... well... something.

It looks a bit weird, b/c every LOD level is displayed at once, and the normals are still broken. But yes, we are nearly there. This multi-import is something you guys will only need for visualization, I guess, as you have to export those unit parts seperately, but well... it's fun.

Cheers

Alright, find attached another beta, and a screenshot. Well, I guess you can just post all of this mail again...

- textures have to be assisgned by hand in MS3D, as they are not referenced by the vpm files themselves, however, this is just for the looks in MS3D and not needed in the data (and for the future exporter) itself
    - MS3D seems to be buggy about rendering in the viewport - the mesh file itself is correct, but MS3D somehow doesn't use a depth-buffer for the viewport? Maybe a driver issue on my machine...
    - shader settings are in the comments box of the model (will be overwritten for subsequent mesh imports, at the moment)
    - materials are not really supported, right now, they are not stored in the mesh files, and I just set a grey default something
    - MS3D seems to be buggy about texture handling as well, see screenshot
    - multi-part import is possible, except for skeletons (e.g. a soldier and a horse, etc..), to do so, load the first part _with_ selecting a skeleton, the second without, etc.
    - there is no way to load type 1 files without a matching skeleton, if the data should be non-distorted - this is inconvenient, but the file format stores the vertices in bone space, so there is no way to get around it
    - when loading a part mesh, all LOD-levels (or items, in case of equipment) will be shown at once, select and show/hide stuff using the group-tab
    - for the exporter, you'll probably have to stick to single-unit-part-saving by respecting naming conventions for the LOD levels and the shader parameters, but yes, I'm not quite sure when I'll get around getting my hands dirty on it (I'll let you know)

I guess that's it... please test it and tell me about all the problems you guys will encounter. At the moment, the tool is a bit verbose to show what's going on, e.g. when working on a wrong skeleton, etc.. - if it's annoying, let me know.

Cheers

Latest plugin is on the OP

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Dam this guy is awsome, we are almost there!!

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

Works as intented, atleast in my short tests .

So v3 allows multiple imports? Or is there more to it...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    And don't Call me Shirley!

Awesome, thanks! Since somebody was asking about if I'll get an exporter
    done, as well... the answer is yes - maybe you can post that, as well. I
    hope to get something done within 2 weeks, I'll let you know.

Dee Jay's Avatar I'm gone....

This is awesome, I'm sure that this is big new for people that want to make a "true" complete overhaul mod, like a roman or medieval mod or something.

So now that just about everything is modable, when do you think maps will be able to be completely overhauled?

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jay View Post
    This is awesome, I'm sure that this is big new for people that want to make a "true" complete overhaul mod, like a roman or medieval mod or something.

So now that just about everything is modable, when do you think maps will be able to be completely overhauled?
    Never.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jay View Post

My guess is 12 to 18 months. That may be optimistic though

Oh, and I almost forgot: great news
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    Use new unit models using the variant system.

So basically we can now create any kind of unit, be that Starwars stromtroopers, Lord of the Rings Orcs, or just brand new Napoleonic units.

We now have all the modability of MTW/RTW, but without the campaign map modability, plus we have many more things we can mod in the engines, that the older ones can't.
    Yehar!

Brothers! Throw out your chaff, the wheat has arrived.
    A Mod for Med2 Kingdoms:

THERA:REDUX

Click here:
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/thera-redux

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

Just in case he hits the same "brickwall" as Brad did, the unkown values in justs research (i've talked to him about that month ago)

I shouldn't have used the word "probably" there. Consider that to be "certainly" does nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Primergy View Post
    Just in case he hits the same "brickwall" as Brad did, the unkown values in justs research (i've talked to him about that month ago)
    Thanks.
    There won't be much news for a while yet, he said two weeks. So don't get worried if this thread dies a little