Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Silius and Poplicola - 481AVC

Default Re: Consulate of Silius and Poplicola - 481AVC

I consider YOUR actions that of a fool,a fool attempting to hide behind the name of our honored ancestors.

Bjorn's Avatar Praefectus

So you are saying that what I am sujesting was not how our ancestors traditionally acted? Asked Tiberius with a rather light, patiente way, as if speaking to a child

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

"Enough you two, behave like men and settle it else where. We need to decide a course of action for the rebellious settlements. They should be slaughtered, they should be made an example of, not given free passage." Imperious raised his hand. "They are not Plebeians Senator Cornelius and hopefully will never be, they are not true Romans." Imperious spoke with a softer tone, he didn't have an opinion on Cornelius yet but he wanted to correct him before the discussion went forth.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

It agrivated Merula some bit that the Senators were more intent on making arguments with eachother and trading personal insults rather than sticking to a set course of discussion...'this is not how i imagined it to be at all...'
    Senators, again i must press that we keep on the matter at hand, i believe the fate of the two cities has been settled, glares at the Tribune, and we must now bring our attention to Senator Lurco's message, should we grant him his wishes?

From the stylus of Spurius Horatius Lurco:
    Noble Conscript Fathers,

I send this from the city of Arpi, recently brought back to order by our esteemed Consul Lucius Valerius Poplicola. Upon receiving word of Arpi's rebellion during my travels I turned about and hastened there in order to help whatever way I could, whether serving alongside the Consul or in an attempt to sway the populace to peace through words. I arrived to find the city returned to its previous level of contentment, Poplicola had crushed the rebellion and reasserted our dominance. That is where I now reside whilst the Consul holds Taras under siege.

My request is this Senators, my movement to Arpi has forestalled my journey a great deal, were I to wait until Taras falls under our occupation it would be possible for myself to requisition a merchant ship and make the crossing to Greece in a quicker time than were I to travel in any other way. I therefore ask the Senate to grant me this in the pursuit of peace and greater trade.

Fortuna smile on us my friends,

Spurius Horatius Lurco

Senator of the Republic of Rome

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Finally, someone who sticks to the topic.

With a grin, he says:

I grant him my wishes of luck for his journey.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

True, Senator. Said Cornelius with a tired voice, to Imperius. And I do not wish the rebels to be given way and freedom. I ask only that we do not slaughter the people of those lands unless they themselves faught against us. And those that fought us should be heard, so that we can understand their actions. I am not a defender of the enemies of Roma... I just wish there be done justice, instead of blind slaughter.

As of the letter, I agree with giving the good senator a merchant ship, it will easen his burden and swiften his mission. Cornelius then sat on his chair. He was tired. These debates tired him very much. It always seemed to him as if they were talking and talking and few things were getting done. Cornelius was never a man to coop with intregues and "senate wars", but it seemed as if it was that how anyone there made their points heard. Instead of speaking, people shouted. Instead of making a point, people attacked each other. Cornelius hoped not that their ancestors were seeing this, for they would probably feel only shame of the great Senatorial House.

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

"I would like to point out that the decision is no longer in our hands. The tribune has vetoed any attempt to decide the cities' fates - it lies now solely in the hands of consul Poplicola. I suggest that we send him a letter to inform him that he has free hands in deciding the fate of Taras, because he knows nothing of what has been going on in this chamber." Tiberius was tired of all the arguments from one and the other side... The fight was long lost to waste further words on it.

"I would also like to point out that information from our consul has stopped coming. As of his last message, we know nothing about his actions, or even if he is still alive. I hope the praetor, which is currently the highest magistrate in the city, would take it upon himself to send a letter to the consul and solve this."

He stopped for a moment to bring weight to his next words.
    "Over the last couple of days, I have desperately tried to reach our senior consul, Silius. As we all know, consul Silius received the command of our troops to take the city of Rhegion, after Poplicola would have taken Taras.
    I am afraid that consul Silius has disappeared as impossible as it may seem. No one from his household, nor the lictors know where he has gone. I am afraid we are left with just one consul. The laws are clear on this matter. We must appoint a suffectus.
    Senators, please propose a member of this chamber you deem worthy for election. Once we will have a pair of names, we should vote. Praetor, if you agree? There should also be a time limit on accepting candidacies. I offer the decision to Praetor as well."

Will anyone support this motion?"

ooc: post edited.
    Last edited by Rex Basiliscus; June 20, 2011 at 04:22 AM.

A second messenger arrived, handing his dispatch to the Praetor Corvenus who stood in the stead of the two Consuls. It read as such:

From the stylus of Spurius Horatius Lurco: Noble August Body,

Forgive, if you will, the quick succession with which my letters will have arrived to you but something of this magnitude cannot wait. I trust my previous letter is well received and wish for swift notice on the motion which should, Gods willing, give me leave for the aforementioned expenditure.

The subject of my dispatch is this: Consul Silius is dead. News has reached Arpi and through contacts established here I have learnt this distressing news. The Consul has been felled by a coughing sickness, I am informed that for months he was in the grip of a hacking cough which frequently brought up blood, the Consul was noted to be unable to march with his troops for long periods of time and more than once fell from his horse. He lacked appetite and was unable to keep down food, he eventually expired with a temperature recorded as like being in Vulcan's furnace.

This is both a tragedy and an emergency Senators, I feel there are two separate options to consider:

The first is to allow Consul Valerius Poplicola leave to take Rehgion following Taras, either by linking up with Silius' former legion after capturing Taras or by merging the two legions now under his single command.

The second option is to send someone to act in Silius' stead, out of practicality I of course offer myself to this task being aptly placed to take command. I will note now, contacts in the Senate have informed me of the dispute in the Senate regarding the treatment of Rhegion's population following Rome's victory. Tribune Caldius' veto gives the conqueror leave to act as he pleases and I tell you this; under my command the population of Rhegion would be spared, the leaders of the revolt however, shall meet the swords of decent Romans.

Whatever your decision Senators inform me with all haste, you shall be able to reach me in Arpi.

My regards to you all,

Spurius Horatius Lurco
    Senator of the Republic of Rome
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

I agree with Basiliscus in the first motion. Said Cornelius approvingly. And would sujest as Suffectus the good Aurelius Lepidus, for his command and bravery in Roma's last war. He is a good man, and of whome I trust with my life. His hands would be the best to carry the burdens of this office.

When the messenger spoke, Cornelius fround. "Poor man, little after ascending to Roma's greatest honored position dies by the blade of Death." After the silence met by the news of the good Consel's demise, Cornelius speaks.

I vote that we let Horatius Lurco take command of the Legion and proceed with the conquest of the city.
    Last edited by Bjorn; June 19, 2011 at 05:55 PM.

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Flavius was surprised. 'Is this what is has come into..?'

I shall hold a vote, then...

Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

As many you know the Tribune of the Plebs is not a magistrate,furthermore his person is sacrosanct,disregarding his veto or interfering with him is a capital offence punishable by Death,all Plebeians have taken a sacred oath to carry out this death sentence,now,since I am a kind man I am requesting that the Praetor place the Quaestor and Tiberius Cornelius Victor on trial for violating the sacrosanctity of a Tribune and that all Plebeians stay their hand for the time being.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

"I believe Tribune Caldius is correct, sadly." Imperious spoke with a grim tone, the Tribune had defied all levels of reality, the Tribune was displaying why the position of Tribune could be abused and misused and this could possibly lead to the position being abolished or weakened. "I can second that motion to allow Senator Horatius to command the legio that Consul Silius once commanded."
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

ooc:everyone edit your posts and get rid of this Tribune nonsense and get back to topic... just deal with it, Caldius is a bastard who only thinks for himself, SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE THIS!

Marcus stands...

Senators, this is indeed a grave event, not for some time have we seen a need for a Consul Suffectus to be elected. My personal reaction to this sorry state of affairs is to apoint Senator Lurco in command of the Legio II, this is because we must take the town or Rhegium with all haste. And I also agree with the good Senator Victor that the man to spend the rest of the term in the Consul position should be Lepidus, a good man who will lead us soundly untill the next elections are held. As for Lurco's furthur request regarding the merchant ship, I am happy to agree with him.

Praetor! With all haste, we must begin the election of the Suffectus, does anyone else have a candidate? or is it unanomous?

Marcus Sempronius rises. 'Glad we have wise men among us.' He shuffles forwards and clears his throat.

Gentlemen, as many before me have stated, the siege of Rhegion has to start as soon as possible, our dear Consul Poplicola is busy enough at Taras. I agree with my fellow wise Senators that our dear colleague Lurco should be put in command as quickly as possible. Rhegion must fall!

However, one thing remains. The diplomatic mission to Pyrrhos of Aiakides, King of the Epirotes. After the fall of Taras, Rome ofcourse desires peace. I feel that Consul Poplicola his siege is drawing to an end so I honestly believe we should send another Senator to fill in Lurco's place, as his task is of equal importance than that of conquering Rhegion. I myself have no intention to fill this spot, I'm not a man fit for leaving Rome. However, I am confident we can find capable volunteers. I thank you all for your attention.

Marcus shuffles back to his seat. 'Atleast they know Sempronius is alive and able to speak..'
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

I agree. I would sujest Aurelius for this task, but Im not sure if a Suffectus would not have higher duties to attend to. War was among us, and he did not know if it was wise to put the Suffectus in a diplomatic mission. But he also did not know well enough the other senatores to tell who would be best suited for the job.

Lurco?I would suggest Aurelius Lepidus for Suffectus Consul,an honorable and wise man,Lurco would seek only to further enrich himself.

Now, lets see how gullible you are Cornelius.

After much thought and consideration and I have decided to withdraw my veto on the Senato Consultum Ad Fortunam Rhegion,the disappearance of Consul Silius is surely a sign from the Gods of their displeasure with the planned fate of Rhegion.

I certainly had nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by War lord; June 19, 2011 at 07:03 PM.

'What is this man playing at...'
    Thankyou Tribune for your reconsideration of your veto, nods to the Tribune.
    Senators at this stage the matters stand as such;

For the election of the Consul Suffectus we have now two candidates, Lepidus and Lurco. If there are any more candidates please step forward now, do not hesitate to nominate yourself either Senators, these are times made for quick decisions! Also if the two canditates already mentioned do not wish to be nominated, may they speak now. Looks towards Corvenus, because of this the Praetor must notify the absent Lurco as to his nomination.

On the other matter it seems that most of the house agrees that Lurco should continue on his diplomatic journey, but what of the Legio II? Who should command it now the Consul Silius has sadly left us?

We should put up the Consul Suffectus to lead the army. I, as you all know, support it to be Aurelius. And I thank the Tribune for reconsidering his Veto, it is through debate and vote that we should put the great matters of Roma into action, not through despotism. Said Cornelius, since he did not agree with putting the fate of a whole city on the hands of one man.

I would say command of the 2nd Legion is irrelevant,it is far too late in the year to campaign,and reaching Rhegion in the Winter would be difficult,instead the second Legion should move to reinforce the first so that the Legions can move to take Rhegion quickly under next years Consuls.

Indefinitely Banned

Sextius stands..

Why do you insist on killing the saminites caldius? they are still loyal to us and have been given citezen ship.
    Last edited by Pharoah; June 19, 2011 at 07:26 PM.