Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Silius and Poplicola - 481AVC

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Consulate of Silius and Poplicola - 481AVC

Marcus Atrius Merula quitely enters and takes his seat towards the back of the chamber, just content for the moment to watch how things evolve. He had been listening outside the door for some minutes, but what he had heard about the "two legions" (they were barely quarter strength!) made him a bit nervous as to what the outcome of such expeditions would mean. Defeat surely...
    Last edited by Merula; June 13, 2011 at 04:37 PM.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Aurelius, sitting aside, speaks:

"Gentlemen, if you will, perhaps it would be wise to put aside long term economic concerns until we've settled the details of our ongoing war? I do not think you need reminding that the Epirotes still have strong and threatening grip in the south of Italy, while Roman rebels hold firm in the town of Rhegium!"

Standing now

"I in this spirit propose this motion, that I feel ought be voted upon with immediacy:"

Senatus Consultum De Bello Pyrrhico

I. The Consuls should take the legions of the Republic with immediacy and march south to defeat the remnants of the Epirote King's men in Tarentum.

II. Any Roman or Italian soldier remaining in Rhegium under the command of the treasonous captains there shall be declared outlaws, and the Republic of Rome shall commit all appropriate resources to their destruction. The Consuls shall lead an attack upon them after the liberation of Taras should they still continue their resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

I believe I already proposed a similar motion,though apparently it went completely ignored.

In any case I support.

He draws a hand across his wearied face, wondering if there will be even further delays before the motion is voted on, and passed. Then, hearing Aurelius Lepidus' simple, straightforward proposal, shouts out

"Hear, hear!"

in support.

Marcus stands for the first time,

I too support Senator Lepidus's motion, but, he pauses I will state that upon the completion of this expedition, I believe a full review needs to be taken into the organisation of our armed forces. The standard of the Legions have degraded much over the course of the war against Phyrrus.

He sits again, waiting to hear the reaction to his proposed review...

Bjorn's Avatar Praefectus

I agree with senator Aurelius, and with good Atrius.

I accept

Read to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwEutuAEQtE and continue through post 30.

Lucius took a few steps into the Curia and took a deep breath and meditated slightly, attempting to gauge who was attending that day. He could hear Piso's necessary dribble, still has a bad sense of geography it seems. Lucius laughed a little inside and let out a slight smirk, how that man would lead the army was anyone's case when navigation would be necessary. His casualty list must have been very different from the front-line list of 30,000 men dead, something his supposed relation would have told him. He found that man to be thoroughly pedestrian and the speech he overheard only strengthened that belief.

The Quaestor's report left a pit in his stomach. Yes, let's raise the taxes on peoples already wary and disgusted of Roman policy for a war that is all but finished after Roman soldiers have killed off the populace of Rhegion, that would surely make them loyal and subservient to Rome and her armies. Lucius found it funny that men would sooner see the populace taxed white before they even think about the reorganization of a flawed military. He then heard him mention his name and the word "consuls".
    So, I'm still so unknown that a stand-in can be accepted as the real thing. I guess people still vote for whomever has the more amiable-looking name in the elections rather than their policy, he said to himself.

Lurco's proposal for trade with the Greeks was definitely in Rome's best interest, I'd have to support that proposal when I enter. The man may not show any discipline in matters of eating but he knows a good policy when he sees one, I may have to further investigate the possibility of an alliance with that family.

Then he heard Attelus. My family may have helped elevate you to your position but you still think in small terms. Lucius doubted that he'd ever know the difference between a denarii and mnai, though he certainly guessed he would know every denomination of the As. Lucius let out another smirk and started to tug on certain parts of his robe to look more presentable, just as he did Cornelius Victor passed him by. Not even so much as a nod, he thought. Damned Patricians are all alike...and I'm just as corrupt as any of them. Lucius let out a verbal laugh that echoed slightly off the Curia walls, leading to some senators in the back to look in his direction but he paid them no mind.

Taedius then spoke on the matter of roads. Lucius found the man to be a wise logistician and his small note to the senate proved that ever the more. He might have to write a treatise on the importance of roads one day. Lucius shrugged the idea off, maybe an essay instead.

Lucius found Corvenus' proposal of using money from Taras to build roads more hilarious than any of the others and this time his laughter drew the looks of more established senators so he silenced himself as best as he could.
    What is he going to do? Even if he sacks the damned city they've used everything of value just to get Pyrrhus to come overseas, a lot of help that did them, he said to himself.This is why lawmen shouldn't make military or domestic policy. They should stick to catching overzealous gangs and murderers like good pedestrian nobles.As he finished his sentence, Atrius Merula passed him by and took his seat, another of those who would not recognize him, fresh meat to the slaughter...

Aurelius Lepidus started to speak. Lucius never had much respect for the man, mainly because he had never met him before. He had to time for men of ethics and philosophy who watch the world from afar as he does, maybe his time in the military has changed him from the rumours. The fact that he was participating in the senate as a man of action was a fair point, the second section of his proposal was another, although he was just twisting Licinius Caldius' proposal. An alliance with this man may do as well, with preparations for ill-intent of course.

Lucius took one last tug at his toga and stepped into the hall and leaned against the back door, maybe someone would notice him. He tipped his head towards his stand-in and took a more casual pose near the back.
    Last edited by dragoon47; July 04, 2011 at 09:47 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Marcus noticed someone come into the senate house and stand in the shadowed part of the chamber near the back door, but the way that man had sauntered in, exuding self-confidence, there could be no other man; Lucius Valerius Poplicola...

Marcus hailed him

Ave Consul! It is good that you would grace this chamber with your presence, maybe now will finally make a decision as to our course of action here, where do you stand Poplicola?

Marcus realises he has released the sleeping giant, but maybe some good will come of it...

Can one of the Consuls please put the motion to vote,it has received more then adequate support.

Now,speaking of motions, though one of mine has been superseded by senator Aurelius's Senatus Consultum De Bello Pyrrhico my other proposals have not been properly discussed,though they received some informal support.

Lex Licinia Ariminum

A system of Government will be established in Ariminum to administrate the province.
    OOC: No idea what to call this one.

1. New roads be built where possible.
    2. Trade links be established with the powers of the Greek mainland.

Lucius let out a chuckle one would only hear in a stage production it was so arrogantly flaunted. So Merula, finally guessed who it was you ignored back there? You'll regret it soon enough, it was obvious to Lucius that Merula has heard the less savoury of rumours that Lucius took the time to spread throughout the city himself of his infinite corruption, his dastardly deeds of malice that would leave behind nothing but a festering banquet of sorrow in his wake.

He took very slow steps into the center of the Curia and relieved his extra of his duties with a slight flourish from his hand, his actions taking the very surreal tone of a man who came in knowing his business and adding stage production. He finally turned to Merula with a cold stare and the senators he mentions in turn received a juxtaposed sense of fury and serenity in his eyes.

I stand on the course of the proposals brought up by Senators Lurco, Lepidus and Caldius. We shall break Epeirote influence in Southern Italy, bring 'Kheiron' Graecia to its knees and crucify the traitors in Rhegion on the road back to Rome all in a single campaign. Where we placed their rotting corpses to be will mark the locations of the new roads that Caldius has elected be built and will be traveled by our diplomats on their way to our new port at Magna Graecia to treat with the Greek city-states.

Upon the last sentence he stretched out his left and upon the last words both of his arms, his head rolled backward and his voice had the unsettling sound of fierce pleasure at the words involving death and corpses, as if the Goddess Stimula had made an exception to man during his pettily small speech. Lucius brought his head back down as he brought a semuncia out of his toga and began rolling it across his fingers, seemingly oblivious to the world around him. He then spoke...

Are there any matters of actual import on the table tonight or will there just be more bickering and useless slander as per the usual dosage of my days in these halls?If the tribune has no objections then I or my senior shall put all of the proposals to vote.

Some senators started murmuring to each other, a few was clearly heard above the others, "This is all just a big game to him...", "How did someone like that become a Consul of Rome?", "What a terrible actor.", "Now there's one with a flair for the dramatic."

Lucius took all of the comments in silently, those rumours would be the blood coursing through his veins, the source of his power in the senate. His career had begun.
    Last edited by dragoon47; June 17, 2011 at 04:51 PM.

No,I have no objections,though I would ask you to restrain yourself and cease dancing around the floor like a Greek.

Lucius took the comment with a grain of salt as he strode to the consul's chair and added a minor flourish as he sat down and crossed his leg, if only to spite Senator Caldius. So, that's the tribune of the plebs...he said to himself as he continued to roll the coin around in his fingers.

I will ask the Quaestor to come up with a more serious and realistic proposal as well, perhaps a more lenient tax would be better than outright rebellion across Italy, wouldn't you agree senators? At Maleventum our army was diminished enough by deserters that ran to Pyrrhus' side and fought us, they would do the same on their own with this fool's tax policies and absent-minded trade agreements with hairy Gauls.

The Aedui couldn't trade with us if they wanted to, the Po valley is caught between half a dozen warring factions with some of the best mercenary warriors in the world on their side, a caravan would be robbed in a day if it passed through that country. The Aedui have no ports and therefore no power ergo, they are not even worth our time if they cannot even enter Mare Nostrum.

I will, however, concede the point on the fleet. That petty band of merchant vessels and legal pirates have not lived up to their expectations. They should be paid and laid off, their ships dismantled and used for architectural needs to avoid them using them against us as mercenaries for another.

Lucius smiled, this was more fun than he thought it would be.

Enough!It is obvious that you intend to mock this Senate with your prancing and insulting rhetoric and I will NOT have it,apologize for your words or I will see to it that you are removed from these halls until you regain your senses!

With all due respect Tribune, Marcus rose again, annoyed at this bickering, Consul Valerius was meerly speaking his mind. His manner of speaking, however...abrupt, is not the case that we are here to discuss today! If we were to always read into another's speech, looking for hidden meanings and "insulting rhetoric", we may as well shut the doors to the Curia and all go home! light laughter from the seats.
    Marcus knew that he did not have much power in the Senate yet, but someone had to play the mediator, otherwise this fight between the Tribune and the Consul could get out of hand, and nothing would get done.

May I urge the Senate to stay on the matter at hand and not let petty rivalries or vanities disrupt us from our sacred duty. Nods of agreement from around the chamber...

Quastor Basiliscus, Valerius asks for a more sound financial proposal, do you have one that would satisfy these valid suggestions?

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Lepidus was watching the proceedings with great enjoyment. Quite unorthodox, the Tribune being so hostile towards the newly elected Consul, but what entertainment!

He chuckled to himself. Perhaps some bad blood between them. He made a note to explore this later...

Sitting casually, Lepidus:

"Now that our Consul has deigned to join us, perhaps he would like to put forth the matter of the Epirote war to a swift division? We waste daylight that could be of better use marshaling troops, do we not, on concerns over which the Praetor may ably preside in your absence on campaign?"
    Last edited by Winter; June 14, 2011 at 12:36 AM.

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Flavius stood up nervous, but eager to join the discussion again. He managed to keep his voice soft and balanced, although he was very nervous.

It seems we have agreed.. The only thing we have to decide now is that which Consul is going to lead our legion to war.

Flavius sat down, and started to weigh the chances of this war in his mind.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Lucius caught the eye of Lepidus, at least someone had some life left in them, maybe he would survive the days to come.

I highly doubt that any Consul right of mind or one that appreciates his life would dare to bring our now ragtag consular army on such a mission.
    Luckily for you senators, some may call me a sociopath, would be a shame to let those people down. The choice has already been laid before me.However, I shall, if this senate wills it to be done. Unlike my co-consul I'm sure that I can at least find where I am campaigning rather than halting my advance 100 miles outside of their territory in the mountains of Samnium rather than our intended target to kill enemies we have pacified.Lucius flashed a sharp gaze towards his fellow consul, reveling in his possible disdain at being undercut in command so soon by his subordinate, so insulting, made the soon-to-be victory that much sweeter.

What says this senate? Shall I assemble the army or shall we designate this job to the senior consul? I personally don't see this conflict warranting Praetorian intervention but if it is the will of the senate then I must leave to do my duty.All tasks at hand have been cleared, even if they don't send me, the expedition has been made to seem pedestrian at most to the less learned in military strategy, minimizing the risk of being undercut by some lowly pleb or equestrian with military glory in mind. Lucius began to eye his coin again during the last sentence as he continued the flip it, some words were etched into the back of it, he could barely make them out and the meaning was lost on him. However, he was drawn to this lowly coin and it became a source of entertainment in what he viewed as dreary halls.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

OOC: No one will be calling you a sociopath considering that term won't exist for another 2000 years!

Lepidus was watching this display with rapt attention. If it were not so perverse an idea he may have been inclined to think this some sort of joke. The sitting consul of Rome, walking around with some absurd Hellenic beard, speaking to a coin! The ludicrosity! Still, with no one speaking up, he thought he might as well say
    something....

"
    Perhaps, considering the enormity of the task, both of you should go..."

I second that motion...

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

This Lepidus is right... we get rid of two birds with one stone..

I also second that motion. Now, if the Consuls do not have anything to add.. the final question is, should we merge the two legions as one to enchance it's strength, or should we keep our legions separate..?

Standing up, he added:

I support merging them. The Legions are not powerful enough alone to take on the Epeirote might, not to mention the rebelled legion..

Flavius sat down
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja