Thread: Changing Faction Accents

Default Changing Faction Accents

I'm sure there are tutorials on the subject of changing a faction's accent, but I've looked for several days, and I can't find one that answers all my questions.

I'm trying to change Portugal's accent to the Scottish accent. I moved Portugal's listing in descr_sounds_accents from 'Mediterranean' to 'Scottish', but they're all still talking like Spaniards.

I am using the mod folder method. I copied the descr_sounds_accents file from vanilla, added them to my modfolder "gaelicportugal" and then edited the file to my liking.

I'm stumped.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Changing Faction Accents

Theres more to it then just changing the descr_sounds_accent file I think.

This might help: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=352289

Read below.
    Last edited by IZob; June 18, 2011 at 09:19 PM.
    Contact me on Steam: steamcommunity.com/id/IZob/ or send a PM.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Back again! Forget that above link. Here is a proven method I've just used that worked

Hi everyone... i have this same problem about rebuilding sound files .dat and .idx. When they rebuild... i have no sound... mmm. and my accents txt is the similar to the one posted above...

Any step-by-step guide?

Thanks.

Hi,

Not sure if you're still stuck on this, but I just got it working myself.... assuming you're doing a mod for the vanilla campaign...

Download this: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1110

Extract to your mod switch folder/data.

Now specify accents using 'descr_sounds_accents'... I put it back to 'read only' after editing (not sure if this had any effect or not, but that's what I did.)

I also put all the sound files from the vanilla/data/sounds into my mod switch equivalent. (I'm not sure if that's necessary, but again, that's what I did.)

Then delete the 2 events files in your modswitch/data/sounds

Then run the game, launch campaign, all should work as intended... I went back to my modswitch folder/data/sounds and deleted all but events, events.dat, audio, and audio.dat, to save on space... up to you I guess.

Good luck!
    I'm working on a proper official tutorial for changing accents as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by IZob View Post
    Back again! Forget that above link. Here is a proven method I've just used that worked

I'm working on a proper official tutorial for changing accents as we speak.
    First off thank you IZob for replying your solution. I have yet to try but before I do I was going to ask if you could clarify. I'm by no means a modder so bare with me. I'm trying to take an accent from Stainless Steel and incorporate it into Broken Crescent. Its the French crusaders accent from kingdoms. If you could and have the time could you explain how I should go about this? I read the tut and am very confused. Thx
    Oh, for Heaven's sake, now you're being deliberately stupid.
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper
    Wudang why did you close the thread? Because you can't find a source refuting mine? LoL how's the quest to ban me going?

IZob's Avatar Citizen

:S Sorry my reply might be a bit short and to the point. I accidently pressed the backspace button which closed my webpage and got rid of my bigger more informative reply. sigh...

My tutoiral is fully completed here btw: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=460777

I'm trying to take an accent from Stainless Steel and incorporate it into Broken Crescent.
    SS is probly using the vanilla accent French (used by France in Vanilla and Antioch in the Crusaders campaign).

Open your Broken Crescent folder.
    Open the data folder.
    Look for the descr_sounds_accents.txt file in the data folder. Open it.

Copy/paste the text inside the descr_sounds_accents.txt file and post it here as a quote.

I'll then, hopefully, be able to tell you your next step.

:S Sorry my reply might be a bit short and to the point. I accidently pressed the backspace button which closed my webpage and got rid of my bigger more informative reply. sigh...

My tutoiral is fully completed here btw: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=460777

SS is probly using the vanilla accent French (used by France in Vanilla and Antioch in the Crusaders campaign).

Open your Broken Crescent folder.
    Open the data folder.
    Look for the descr_sounds_accents.txt file in the data folder. Open it.

Copy/paste the text inside the descr_sounds_accents.txt file and post it here as a quote.

I'll then, hopefully, be able to tell you your next step.
    I'm on my Droid so I can't copy paste. Attaching wont work either...
    France = KoJ with vanilla French accent not kingdoms. So I need to create the edited French accent. Apply the right sound files etc. I should have everything with my SS mod sounds.

Edit: ok I read your tut and seems simple enough. Great tut very precise for dummies like me. +Rep. The tut about creating was throwing me off so thanks for adding this tut.

Ok so I have one problem. The desired accent isn't in the descr_sound_accents file. So I need to add an accent to BC without all the editing, I guess?
    Last edited by chris7ian; June 19, 2011 at 09:43 PM.
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper
    Wudang why did you close the thread? Because you can't find a source refuting mine? LoL how's the quest to ban me going?

IZob's Avatar Citizen

In the Kingdoms Crusades campaign:

Antioch uses the French accent.
    KoJ uses the English accent.

Ok so I have one problem. The desired accent isn't in the descr_sound_accents file. So I need to add an accent to BC without all the editing, I guess?
    The desired accent you want is French correct?

Add the French accent to the descr_sounds_accents.txt file with the faction you want to speak French. Then backup the .dat and .idx event files in the sounds folder, place them in a different folder. Leave the other files alone.

Make sure there are no event.dat or event.idx files in the sounds folder.

Run the game, start a new campaign. Test the faction with the desired accent.

That should work.

In the Kingdoms Crusades campaign:

Antioch uses the French accent.
    KoJ uses the English accent.

The desired accent you want is French correct?

Add the French accent to the descr_sounds_accents.txt file with the faction you want to speak French. Then backup the .dat and .idx event files in the sounds folder, place them in a different folder. Leave the other files alone.

Make sure there are no event.dat or event.idx files in the sounds folder.

Run the game, start a new campaign. Test the faction with the desired accent.

That should work.
    In BC koj has French already. I want them to have Antiochs edited French accent from Kingdoms.
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper

IZob's Avatar Citizen

strange well the French accent in crusades is the same as the French accent in vanilla.

Dose BC have any custome sounds/music or accents?

Because your changing an accent, that means you'll need to regenerate that .dat and .idx files.

Because the .dat and .idx files need to be regenerated, you'll need all of the custome music, sounds and other accents for BC. You wil need these files to be in .mp3 format so they can be put into the new .dat and .idx files. You could extract these files in your already made .dat and .idx files that came with the mod, or get the .mp3 files from one of the devs.

Then at the same time your adding in a accent, you'll also have to add in the custome music (usually called new music) and custome sounds. This is why you need to look at the add new music tutoirals.

strange well the French accent in crusades is the same as the French accent in vanilla.

Dose BC have any custome sounds/music or accents?

Because your changing an accent, that means you'll need to regenerate that .dat and .idx files.

Because the .dat and .idx files need to be regenerated, you'll need all of the custome music, sounds and other accents for BC. You wil need these files to be in .mp3 format so they can be put into the new .dat and .idx files. You could extract these files in your already made .dat and .idx files that came with the mod, or get the .mp3 files from one of the devs.

Then at the same time your adding in a accent, you'll also have to add in the custome music (usually called new music) and custome sounds. This is why you need to look at the add new music tutoirals.
    The accent is of the faction Antioch in the Crusades campaign. CA edited the French faction accent by removing all references to France. BC uses the French faction accent. I want the Antioch accent instead. Its French sounding but has no references to France. Like Wales is to the English accent.

I don't know how to add this already existing accent from kingdoms crusade campaign (and also in SS) to my BC mod.
    Last edited by chris7ian; June 20, 2011 at 01:29 AM.
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

The difference maybe which version of the game you own.

I was trying to work on the Mongol accents with my US version and the same files/accents were not showing up in Userpro's German version and he had to talk me through it.

I know how to properly edit the code etc. I just don't know how to get the file containing the removed accent from Crusades and then move it into BC. If I knew which lines in the French accent referenced France I could remove those without adding a new accent but there are so many and no way I know of to check. I guess I'll have to extract the accent with the idx extractor?
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Let's see if this may work.

Unpack the sounds in BC.
    Unpack the sounds in Crusades.
    Copy/paste the French sounds from the respective folders in Crusades into the respective folders in BC, delete the sounds.dat and sounds.idx in BC, restart tha campaign and see if they rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Let's see if this may work.

Unpack the sounds in BC.
    Unpack the sounds in Crusades.
    Copy/paste the French sounds from the respective folders in Crusades into the respective folders in BC, delete the sounds.dat and sounds.idx in BC, restart tha campaign and see if they rebuild.
    I assume you mean extract the sounds from the sounds batch file? 'm following the steps on the create new accent tut and when I edited the extract sounds batch file to. \xidx.executive -x Voice its doesn't create a voice folder. I have the pause underneath it too. Also my idx files got changed to open with notepad instead of unknown program. Could that be causing my problem?

Edit: i went through and deleted all idx files, they are back to normal. I'm rerunning vanilla kingdoms and mods to rebuild them so that should solve one problem.
    Last edited by chris7ian; June 20, 2011 at 03:38 PM.
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Extract, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Extract, yes.
    I extract the sound files and it says extracted successfully but no voice folder shows up in BC.

I successfully extracted the voice folder from Crusades.

Edit: so I extracted the data\sounds\Voice folder and cut it and pasted it into the BC data\sounds folder. There were only a few battle map sounds and two campaign map sounds, should there be more?
    Last edited by chris7ian; June 20, 2011 at 03:37 PM.
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper

I don't know how many files there are. I have not looked in Crusades to find out. I know some are minimal.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by chris7ian View Post
    The accent is of the faction Antioch in the Crusades campaign. CA edited the French faction accent by removing all references to France. BC uses the French faction accent. I want the Antioch accent instead. Its French sounding but has no references to France. Like Wales is to the English accent.

I don't know how to add this already existing accent from kingdoms crusade campaign (and also in SS) to my BC mod.
    Ahh I didnt notice that about Antioch

You will have to unpack the mp3 sound files from crusades (or SS) and add them in to your BC mod.

I'd follow the add new accent tutorial for doing that.

Hi there i have ben playing about with the idx extracter i recently extraced the music form the desired mod i played. I am just geting to grips with the new tool is it normal that when i restart the game that the sound seems alot lower in terms of volume? If i extract the sound files do i need to rebuild for it to sound as it was before i extracted the sounds. Also is there a tutorial tha shows how to import your own mps3 voices for units iam still a little confused on how to get unit voices in game i see no voices for units when i extract the sounds just music files. The music editng seems simple enough is this the same thing or do i extract somethign different for unit voices.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418 are the tutorials on the subject.