Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The EBII Recruitment thread

loseless's Avatar Civis

Default Re: The EBII Recruitment thread

Hey guys. Just saw this thread and I am available to help you with historical information. I'm from Portugal and my specialty is classic history, particularly greco-roman history.

But if you want information regarding Iberians, they lived in small tribes that descended from the celtic invasions. They were skilled hunters and lived from the land, although the Iberians tribes, specially the ones from the south, had a degree of culture and knowledge that surpassed by far that of the Germans, Gallic and steppes barbarians.

You see, since around 600s b.C. they came in contact with Phoenicians, then Greeks, and after that Carthaginians. Ironically, the various colonies from different origins coexisted in relative peace with the local tribes. But those tribes were not very homogenized.

While there were the southern and eastern more developed tribes, there were also the north/northwest tribes that still maintained much of the Celtic culture, specially the lusitans. They're skirmish tactics, surprise attacks and constant traps and ambushes (they were indeed the fathers of the guerrilla warfare) kept the romans away for decades. Only when the romans bribed the lusitans commanders, friends to their leader, did they manage to defeat them. Go google Viriatus. He's still a figure of much respect here in Portugal and in Viseu, the city where their main settlement was, there's a statue of him.

So, my advice: Iberians were superior to other barbarian factions do to their constant contact with greeks, carthaginians and phenicians. They were also skilled warriors that excelled in hit and run and ambushes. One other fact that not many know about: they were the inventors of the gladius, well before the romans copied it from them. Around 4 or 5 b.C. the romans came into contact with the iberians and saw how they used missiles before charging with double bladed thrusting swords, and so they grabbed the idea but used it with heavy armored troops (which was something that the Iberians didn't do, because of the rough terrain and high temperatures of the region. Light armored troops were preferred). Which is also funny, since Iberia had a lot of minerals, particular bronze, iron and copper.

Oh, and while they did not used horses that much, the region also had some of the best horses in the world (still does nowadays). Often the imperators used Spanish horses for their strength and size. Even today the lusitan horses are worth more than some BMWs.

So yeah, you can pretty much throw anything at the iberians. Spears, bows, slings, javelins, gladius, shields, etc. They were the kind to use just about anything. But do avoid heavy armor as much possible. Maybe one or two units. More wouldn't be too accurate. They were very found of leather (the region was a great place for cattle).

As economy goes, I already mentined minerals, but there was also a lot of fish, olives, wine, cattle and fruit. Grain not that much, but some. And horses, don't forget horses

If you have any question or need further clarification regarding anything, please, do tell or send me a PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Hi!
    This is an example of my work;
    it's a Sassanid era Iranian heavy shield texture,
    inscriptions say "Ey" "Ra" (could mean a lot) Below it says "Ašha".

I may be able to produce shield textures for different factions if given proper historical data.
    Thanks

Indefinitely Banned

Campidoctor

Sorry for the late response, those look very nice, are you drawing those patterns yourself?

Indefinitely Banned

Yes! (except the faravahar)
    And I just learned how to skin units in M2TW...

Campidoctor

Very impressive!

I'm going to pass this on to the rest of the team, expect a PM soon.

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

Hi there!

I'd like to apply for your team.

So, while I'm aware some areas are more occupied than others, I have an entire list of abilities I can offer.
    Though, due to university, I've got quite an amount of exams ahead of me (my university always is the last to start them and actually see them over with... ) and, afterwards, I can only join "part-time". Hopefully, this isn't too much of a restriction.

I'd like to join as either modeler or mapper (or both), if possible. Though I have more in store (if necessary).

My abilities are:

• Mapping (my favorite, though I don't think you'll still need someone there)
    • Coding new factions into the game
    • Milkshape 3D 1.8.2 (as in units, strat-models and strat-model-cities)
    • LithUnwrap
    • Coding models and units into the game
    • Skinning (I think I got quite good with armors and stuff, but I'm not really into faces and skin-parts, but willing to learn; also, I'm a rather big fan of cg-textures, so I might not be the one you want)

So, regarding a portfolio, what can I show you?
    There's quite a lot of stuff, actually, though not much of it is public (I'm also working on a German mod with another team, but don't worry, my work there is 99.9% done, actually we're just waiting for our sound and scripting departments to finish). Thus, I'll have to stick with preview-images. (BTW: I'm really sorry if this post got a bit too image-heavy )

Modelling:

• Stratmap: I did a whole lot there, though my favorites are actually the towns/castles I created for Gothic: Total War
      Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

• Units: This is also Gothic: Total War (credit for faces, however, goes to Rusichi and Disgruntled Goat (we have their permission); as I said, I'm not that good with them)

Mapping:

• Back in the day, I did the original map of Invasio Barbarorum 2: Africa Vandalorum (though I'm not in the credits anymore, their new mapper must have exchanged the entire thing, so maybe scratch that )
    • Third Age: Total War: After the initial release of v1.0, I decided to smooth the coastlines and the submod even made it into the official 1.1 patch. Here's a link to the thread of the submod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=254448
    • Gothic: Total War:

So, I hope I could convince you!

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

Actually the map could benefit from tweaks in some areas.
    Also are you familiar with creating new vegetations areas for the map?

Say bush areas in the desert...
    (just from the coding point of view, 2d/3d assets are made)

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by alin View Post
    Actually the map could benefit from tweaks in some areas.
    Also are you familiar with creating new vegetations areas for the map?

Say bush areas in the desert...
    (just from the coding point of view, 2d/3d assets are made)
    I'd be glad to help you guys with that.
    I have already created a new climate-type on the map. It can actually be seen on one of the screenshots (the one with ice and snow ). There, I modified the Highland-climate to be all-time winter.
    So, yes, I'm capable of that.

Montebello's Avatar Civis

deleted
    Last edited by Montebello; August 09, 2012 at 09:11 PM.

hamjam's Avatar Foederatus

I saw in another recent thread that the EBII team needs people to volunteer their time, even people with no modding skills -- and then I thought, hey, that's me, I have no modding skills at all. What I do have is a love and knowledge of ancient history, about 8-10 hours a week of time willing to volunteer, a huge appreciation for EBI and a vicious desire to see EBII unveiled (or even another preview for that matter).

So, all that said, how can I help. I'd be happy to mindlessly port descriptions over as was suggested in the other thread by Alin, or to research something, or to edit descriptions -- whatever is needed and which the team thinks to themselves, "Hey, I wish I could get some monkey to do this".

Yeah, I want to be a help-monkey too. I've got much spare time that I don't do anything useful with, and I love EB so I might as well help.

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

Thanks for volunteering, but please keep in mind we don't give access to the build from the start.

Members have to prove themselves and it'll take a while until they will.

As in giving us some sort of beta? no, of course not. I didn't expect that. Just want to help it come out faster. But, is there some boring easy stuff you guys need help with right now?

As a matter of fact, there is.

We are looking to replace the traditional "text" files for descriptions with XML files. Then goal here is to fully automate generating strings.bin files for our mod (useful when building an installer), to allow us to avoid a few corner cases during development which might trigger spurious CTDs and to shave off some code/data from a default installation of the mod.

There is more to this than just converting text files into XML, but this conversion represents the first step. The job mostly entails spotting repetition and spotting patterns of "similar" descriptions. To convert files into XML you need a text editor which can save files as UTF-8, preferably with syntax highlighting for XML (as that will it easier for you to spot errors in your conversion). The job consists of designing an XML structure which can represent the particular descriptions in the text files well, and then converting the original text file to that structure.
    -Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

hamjam's Avatar Foederatus

I'd be happy to do that...if I knew how. Is it easier than it sounds or something, because it sounds freaking hard.

Will Notepad++ work for that? I use that to edit txt files at work.

Remember, if you guys want space monkey assistance you have to learn to speak space monkey. Space monkey, while he may, like the renowned code monkey, like Tab and Mountain Dew, he does not unfortunately understand very much technical jargon and he typically navigates those spheres when confronted with them by using demonstratives and making all IT staff speak to him in parables.

Yes, please do that as I didn't quite follow.

Maybe this is a more useful introduction to the subject of XML: http://www.w3schools.com/xml/

Notepad++ should suffice. It may however not save text using UTF-8 by default so you would need to take care to enforce that when editing the XML we want. Linky: http://superuser.com/questions/29208...ate-a-new-file

It's not that XML requires UTF-8 per se, but we want to use UTF-8 for other reasons (to do with something called SVN).
    -Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

KingCanute's Avatar Foederatus

And I would be happy to assist too... that is, if you need more progress on the low tech and repetitive assignments.

- SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    - "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Maybe I can make some HQ models/textures etc in free time if U wish of course
    Greetings
    Xprime
    [IMG][/IMG]