Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The EBII Recruitment thread

Default Re: The EBII Recruitment thread

A good start is to search and collect information about a certain aspect of EB2, maybe a faction (hintsteppehint) or a well argumented case for a new faction or even a good-founded criticism to an already previewed feature of EB.

We won't have people join the team without having the chance to judge them (both their knowledge and social skills).

XSamatan

Campidoctor

Yep, what XSamatan said. A lot of people seem to underestimate the amount of knowledge and work that is required for text work, so we have to get an idea of how they perform before considering to make them part of the team.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

seams fair

I have never modded before but I have some experience in animation and I draw all the time. What programs should I look into and are you in need of skinners or anything to do with graphics?

3dsmax and Milkshape are programs I remember be discussed in our graphics/modeling department. I'm quite sure there are some tutorials about this topic too here on TWC, if you want to start with these. Skinners are wanted too.
    If you have examples of your work drop me a PM!

Great, I will look into those programs and send you a PM today. Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there anything I maybe able to help with?
    "It is worth while for those who disdain all human things for money, and who suppose that there is no room either for great honor or virtue, except where wealth is found, to listen to his story."
    - Livy 3.26

Campidoctor

To answer that you will have to tell us what kind of help you can give us? (coding, modelling, skinning, in depth historical knowledge, etc)

And do you mean with coding, adding simple unit statistics, EDB and EDU building?

Campidoctor

Yes that would be some of the very basic work, plus working with traits, scripting and other text files.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    Yes that would be some of the very basic work, plus working with traits, scripting and other text files.
    Too bad I don't really know anything about the last three, but I'm gonna take a look in Tutorial section right now.

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, but I play Total War since 2005. I would like to join the dev team, I can model, texture, I can also do illustrations or any other artwork. Here's some of my work http://frankjapson.carbonmade.com

cheers!

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

Do you have any experience with rigging and low poly 3d characters modelling or do you preffer only props?
    I can't tell from your portofolio since I only see props.

i can help you with history part and with dictation because i know ancient greek

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

Thank you however you haven't described in detail your knowledge nor is knowing ancient greek something we are looking for at the moment:

Quote Originally Posted by jmrc View Post
    Historians
    Actually, this is not a modders "job position", but we have some areas of expertise that we want to reinforce.
    We need historians who have a good knowledge about the following regions: Iberian Paeninsula, Bosphorus, Caucasus, Persian/Iranian Plateau and Eastern steppes. It's not necessary to have historians who know about gaming or modding or even TW games, but it's important that they have a good amount of spare time, because they will help shape up the cultural, historical and military aspects of the factions in those regions.
    Also for your interest:
    So, if you would like to join the Europa Barbarorum team and help producing EB2, then contact us in this thread or send a PM to JMRC, showing us some of your work and/or references to mods you've been envolved or documents you've written. This is an important part of the recruitment process because we always ask for your background knowledge. After that, we will get back to you ASAP.
    Last edited by bobbin; March 29, 2012 at 01:37 PM.

hey, sorry for the super late reply.

Yea my portfolio is all props because my last two jobs were as a prop/vehicle modeler.

I don't rig, but I can model anything either low or high poly.

I want to see EB2 to be released as soon as possible, so I am offering my service, in this way.
    I am a professional researcher on Steppe Peoples and Eastern cultures, also I know how to script and how they are working. Additionally, I could help you to write new traits and ancillaries. I am making my own submods whenever I play a new mod, always tweaking and changing lots of things. I would be delighted to help you to make EB2 the best.

EDIT: Due to lack of interest for the additional help, I do abolish my offer of help. (Mods can delete my message)
    Last edited by Farwest; April 05, 2012 at 06:58 AM.

Artifex

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...377791&page=57

if you like my writing don't hesitate to contact me...

also some unit descriptions

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    BURIDAVENSI ELITE FALXMEN

Origin

Buri or Buridavensi erected the fortress from Buridava, Orastie Mountains and built a settlement near the mouths of the Arges River called Argedava or Sargedava. If they did this willingly or not the Arges river and the mines from the Carpathians made them very rich! The secret? Rafts! Buri used these kind of floating structures of all size and shapes for travelling across the water and for making trade. Both locations are considered as capitals of the Getae and were very important! If Buridava together with Sarmizegetusa guarded the way to the Carpathian Arch, Argedava permitted trade with the Triballi and Odrysians and through them with the Greek world and Greek City-Ports from Pontus Euxinus. Buri or Buridavensi owned the salt mines from Ocnele Mari, Orastie Mountains and obtaind wealth through trade with the Greeks, Thracians, Celts and Scythians from around.

Unit from Buridava, a very important city and fortress of the Geto-Dacians. Ptolemy wrote that it was the capital of the Getae before Sarmizegetusa. Buri were allies of the Dacians during the wars with Trajan. They dwelled near Sarmizegetusa, in a very well defended mountainous area and had many fortresses with imposing walls and gates. In Orastie Mountains Buridava, Sarmizegetusa and few other citadels formed an almost impenetrable wall, defending the high dwellers, important priests, counsellors and generals. In the same area a very large sun disc supposedly used to calculate seasons and form precise callendaries has been found together with impressive temples and sanctuaries. There is no doubt that in this region a very advanced civilisation lived. Also near the local city walls sica swords and falxes have been discovered in large numbers showing that Orastie Mountains was the place of their origin. These weapons were highly prized by the Celts and the Romans and were scarecely found elsewhere.

Experienced Dacian soldiers had an almost happy expression on their looks when they went to war and even when dying because they knew that Zalmoxis, their supreme deity, waited for them in the afterlife. They believed in immortality and thus they were immortals.

Sicklemen and falxmen dwelled near the capital of Sarmizegetusa and were very well trained. They had a special relation with their swords and inscribed magical incantations on them, they were one with their swords and had no fear of death, an honourable death on the battlefield being the greatest privilege they could achieve. Intensive training was necesarry to wield this extraordinary weapon. It was not used like other swords, only for slashing and piercing, it had multiple functions: it was used like a sword, like a polearm and like a hook. The sica with it's very sharp tip and sickle shape could cut limbs entirely and even behead an enemy if the wielder had enough strength and experience. Experience was necesarry to wield the dreaded falx! Falxmen used a slash-pull-cut technique to severe a limb and a similar technique to behead an enemy or slash the front legs of horses without armour. It all depended on the angle of incidence and on the force of the wielder, used to inflict wounds! The sica was also used as a hook to grab shields, weapons and helmets and leave the enemy defenceless! The sharp tip could even pierce armour and helmets! The blood channel made it easy to use, permitting the wieldere to make many actions in few time! Falxmen were elite units with lots of experience on the battlefield and only the sight of them made the enemies tremble! Most of the Buridavensi Falxmen were middle-aged to old and knew what their swords could do! It seems that the famous falxmen had different ranks depending on their stage of trainig! This can be seen on Traiani Tropeum Metope! Pay attention to their expression, their age, their musculature and the shape and size of their swords! If young ones look frightened, the old ones have a strong, confident gaze. This is because they have participated in many battles and because their teachers and priests made sure they respected the sword and the supreme god. Now they are teachers and guards of their beloved priests and lords.

Equipment

Buridavensi Elite Falxmen have an iron scalemail armour, bronze Phrygian helmets and a sica sword wielded with both hands. Most of the sica swords had inscriptions or decorations on the blade and a "blood chanel" deeply carved in it's blade. Many sicas had Greek letters inscribed on them, mostly "fi" or "theta"! Buridavensi Elite Falxmen also have a sica dagger at their left side, like all Dacian men do. Blood Channel = Blood Groove = Fuller = groove in a fighting knife or sword to allow for blood to flow from a wound so that the blade can be removed easier (a significant concern in close combat). They also wear a qood quality mantle with gold and silver threads to show their status, that of royal guards. Their role in times of peace was to keep order and make sure the city priests and counsellors were respected. In times of war Buridavensi Elite Falxmen were models for other warriors, inspiring them with their courage and self esteem.

PREDAVENSI ELDER SICKLEMEN

Origin

Predavensi were very advanced and flourished between the II-I centuries BC. Predavensi lived in the interiour of the Carpathians and owned many gold and silver mines. They were not only best miners but expert jewellers too, crafting many rings, bracellets and pendants for their beloved wives. Predavensi men used gold and silver for themselves as well, to decorate their helmets, armors, swords and clothes. Thus they had the glitter of precious metals in front of their eyes at all times. Predavensi had so much gold that even entire golden helmets were produced! The very low concentration of silver and other metals in gold objects proves that they were indeed the richest Dacian tribe from Transylvania, even richer than Costoboci from the north and Carpi from across the mountains! They had a constant relation with the Celts and with the Greeks because of their friends and guardians, the Buridavensi no doubt! Predavensi continued to mint the silver and golden coins of Phillip and Alexander, depicting Zeus and a rider on the back long time after the son and father met in the afterlife. Their predecessors, the Ratacensi, most likely started to like and use the coins for the horsemen that resembled one of their deity and because Greeks wanted to trade this way instead of barter but later they learned the privilleges of having their own currency too! Like their predecessors, the Ratacensi, Predavensi used coins to trade with all the people from and across the Carpathians. Like Ratacensi before them they adapted and started to use and copy the more popular Tetradrachms of Thassos with Dyonysos and Hercules in later times. They did this because all the populations from the Balkans started to use these kind of coins instead of Staters and Lysimachia. Of course Predavensi were smart people and knew the price of gold. When the Hellenic City-Ports of Pontus Euxinus from Scythia Minor, Tomis, Histria and Callatis, started to mint their own coins for Mithridates, Predavensi copied their Staters as well even if the ones of Tomis weighted 12 grames. They traded with each people in their own way and currency! This only means that they were adaptable people, good merchants and excellent soldiers. They did what they had to do to survive, they adapted! "Maybe Ratacensi should have been more arrogant!" say the Predavensi. "When we meet in the afterlife we will tell them the secret of surviving because they taught us trade! Who knows maybe in the afterlife we will meet again and learn more from each other! We will tell them earthly things, like subduing or tricking the enemy, and they will teach us how to become immortals. Yes this is one thing money can's buy! Immortality! Take us to Zalmoxis and the Ratacensi then gold! But wait that means dying! No! Take us to Burebistas instead gold and silver! Take us to glory! He promissed immortality too! And what better way of reaching it then war? Zalmoxis will choose only the best! Only the best can meet our beloved Ratacensi and send them our gratitude so start training!" Most likely they minted coins during and after Burebistas reign too. The Dacian coin, original and offical, was named Koson and it only appeared in southwestern Transylvania, near the fortifications of Orastie Mountains. It resembled the Roman Denarius but it was made of gold not silver and it weighted 8 not 4 grames. Most of the Kosons were minted during the reign of Koson also known as Coson or Cotiso. He was the succesor of Burebistas in the Orastie Mountains and probably a disciple of Deceneus, a philosopher, astronomer and adviser of Burebistas. Deceneus was a priest too, like Zalmoxis and like his god he travelled the world all the way to Egypt. He took the same path through distant lands, religion and knowledge and enlighted he's people once again with his wisdom and thoughts.

Equipment

Predavensi used gold and silver coins for exchange and made trade with all the people around them, true but they used their shiny coins for other, more devious purposes too! Even if they were peacefull at most times they knew how to handle the ambitions of Celts and Scythians and pacified them with the sharp tip of their swords or just bought them! Predavensi, like Ratacensi made very good replicas of the Greek and Macedonian Staters, Tetradrachms and Lysimachia and even minted their own coins! Predavensi had other great loves amongst precious metals and jewells though, like music, art, sculpture in wood, metalcrafting, surrounding themselves with beautiful objects and wearing richly decorated helmets and clothes with all kind of motifs! So we reached gold, jewells and decorations again. Wait there is more! Another great love was the sica, like all Dacians they loved the bow, their javelins, trusted the mountains, drank wine, danced all night near the fire and wanted to be free to hunt and feast at will, day and night, to have a good life. Even if they made trade with all the nations around them they only trusted their wives and their sheep but they respected the Greeks for their Attic, Chalcidian or Prygian helmets, the Macedonians for their royal colours and coins, the Celts for their chain mail, the Thracians for their love of war and the Scythians for their scale armour and jewell crafting. What better life then joy, love and war!?

I will post the importance of Costoboci, Carpi, Tyragetae, Piephigi, Siensi, Cotensi later if reactions are good if not well it was at least worth trying!

Edit: this was an older post: the importance of Piephigi was that they were the inhabitants of Argedava and possibly the ruling class of the Getae and were masters of the trade routs between the Carpathians and the plain, all the way to Thrace, Greece and Anatolia through the Arges river and the Danube. They aslo had an important role as a middleway between the rich resources of the Carpathians like salt, gold, silver and iron and the pottery, weapons and armor of the Greek ports of Pontus Euxinus that traded with Bosporus, Heraclea Pontica and other former colonies of Miletus, Megara and other obsolete metropolis. A very diverse coinage was used in this trade route; and if at first the Getae copied the coins of the Hellenes, they later minted their own, using ethnic symbols.

Cotensi was a Celto-Dacian tribe that shows that Celts reached the lands of the Scythians and dwelled there alongside Tyragetae, Costoboci and Carpians and sometimes mixing with them. IF in the west Dacians had an offensive position towards the invading Celts with the older Celtic inhabitants of the area between Pyretus and Dniester or Tyras and even at the mouth of the Borysthenes, around Olbia and in Scythia Minor they had a friendly view. Cotensi and possibly Costoboci are the result of centuries of living next to each other.

Carpi were a mixed Scytho-Dacian tribe most likely and made use of horses more then their comrades in the west and center.

Tyragetae were a Dacian tribe subdued by Scythians and mixed with the Celtic inhabitants there.

Siensi were the link between the Greeks of Pontus Euxinus and the rest of the Dacians and made use of many Greek objects and military equipment. In fact all of the Dacians used Greek, Illyrian, Phrygian, Celtic and later Sarmatian and Roman weapons, armour and helmets but also had their own ethnic elements like the falx. We know a couple of eras of external influence in Dacia: Scythian, Thraco-Hellenic, Celtic, Sarmatian and Roman. The Dacians influence other people as well like the Bastarnae for instance and were one of the most promising state to evolve in a new threat for the Romans but they were stopped in time, while they were still young as an united nation.

these are some description I've made or improved for RSII long, long time ago...
    Dacian units for RS II:

[dacian_skirmishers} Dacian Skirmishers
    {dacian_skirmishers_descr}
    Primary Armour = Flesh\n\nThe style of peltast was invented by the Thracians, but quickly learned by the Getae and Dacians. Many of the greatest armies had difficulty dealing with this form of warfare, Greece and Macedon the most notable. Hence, knowledgeable warrior-kings such as Alexander often hired skirmishers. Perhaps the best description of their worth was from the battle of Cunaxa. They allowed the Persian cavalry to pass through their opened ranks while showering them with javelins. The Persians decided to ride on to the enemy camp rather than face the peltasts again.\nThe hit and run or guerilla tactics employed by skirmishers, using the terrain to their advantage, turned these lighter troops into powerful adversaries. They can also use melee weapons if needed. Skirmishers have a war knife, in times of peace and war, a ‘pugio’ dagger and some even carry sica swords. Ovid writes “every barbarian is wearing a knife suspended on his left side”. The word ‘dagger’ may have come from Vulgar Latin word ‘daca’ a Dacian knife. The dagger was similar to the Roman ‘pugio’, a sidearm believed to serve as an auxilary weapon. All Dacian infantry had this backup weapons.\n\nThe Dacian weapons have their own characteristic, such as shape and decoration, developed from their own method of fighting and interaction with the German, Celtic and Iranian worlds, but not the Macedonians, Greeks or Romans.
    {dacian_skirmishers_descr_short}
    Light Skirmishers of the Dacians
    ¬----------------
    {dismounted_getic_archers} Dismounted Getic Archers
    {dismounted_getic_archers_descr}
    Primary Armour = Flesh\nVery Hardy\n\nGetae were an ancient people of Thracian origin, inhabiting the banks of the lower Danube region and nearby plains. First appearing in the 6th century BC, the Getae were subjected to Scythian influence and were known as expert mounted archers and devotees of the deity Zalmoxis. Although the daughter of their king became the wife of Philip II of Macedon in 342 BC, the Macedonians under Philip II’s son Alexander crossed the Danube and burned the Getic capital seven years later. Getic technology was influenced by that of the invading Celts in the 4th and 3rd centuries BC. Under Burebista (lst century BC), the Getae and nearby Dacians formed a powerful but short-lived state. Many territories of Dacia were unfitted for cavalry so Getae often had to dismount.\nThe Getae Archer was well versed in harassment or guerilla tactics, and thus the bowman was highly respected by warriors and enemies. Some bows were made of animal horns, others were made of cornel tree wood, larch wood, hazel, hornbeam, ash or elm. The drawstrings were made of flax, hemp, animal bowels, and horse or cattle veins. In rainy weather the warriors wore the bows unstrained so not to lose its flexibility. A medium bow could fire arrows as far as 200 meters.\n\nThe Getic Archer should be used for picking apart enemy formations. In the vast forests of Dacia, these warriors are lethal; a skilled archer could fire 12 arrows a minute and all the arrows were dipped in poison.
    {dismounted_getic_archers_descr_short}
    Lethal archers from the Getic tribes.
    ¬----------------
    {dacian_medium_infantry} Dacian Medium Infantry
    {dacian_medium_infantry_descr}
    Primary Armour = Flesh\nVery Hardy\n\nDacian Medium Infantry is composed of soldiers and comati (peasants) that are capable of holding their own, although they can be impetuous in nature. These units are comprised of the common people of all Dacian tribes and know full well how to use the terrain to their advantage. Equipped with a spear and shield they can be an effective defender against cavalry. They have a throwing spear similar to the Roman pilum (heavy javelin) and oval shields decorated with a lot of emblems. Some had in the middle a rosette as the symbol of the sun and some had on their edges decoration with the moon and stars. On other shields we can see a crown of laurel and floral decoration. Most wore hard leather helmets for protection against dangerous blows. Each man had to wear a knife in his left side in all times and come to battle when their nobles asked them to.\nFor close combat they made use of daggers and one of the two variants of the mahaira (copis) sword: akinakes with a blade of 15-20 cm or skalmi with a longer blade, Dacian innovations. Later akinakes and skalmi swords were replaced by sica that was more efficent in battle. Sica was used only with the curve pointing down, which proves the tool part of it, and the fighting style was similar to the kama. It will easily sever a limb with one slash-pull-cut technique. It was much feared by the Roman legionaries, and brought some changes to their armour style design. The sword could also be used, in experienced hands, to kill in one hit. With the curve pointed down the tip would often catch on the enemy's helmet. The Dacian could then lurch the sword upward into the jaw and through the face, killing the opponent instantaneously. Many sword blades had incised ornaments and a blood channel deeply carved into them. Sica means sickle in Dacian language. The weapon's size would vary and could be as long as a knife, a short sword or a regular sword. Everyone was also equiped with a short 2 m spear similar to the Roman hasta lance used at first by hastati and then by triarii. It had a 15 to 30 cm blade and a sharp bottom end.\n\nWithout a large proportion of good helmets and armour, these soldiers will likely bear the brunt of the fighting and the casualties in any battle.
    {dacian_medium_infantry_descr_short}.
    Bulk medium infantry of Dacian armies.
    ¬----------------
    {akantion_heavy_infantry} Akantion Heavy Infantry
    {akantion_heavy_infantry_descr}
    Primary Armour = Leather\nHardy\n\nBurebista, the first who united the Dacian tribes had an army of 200,000 men. He drove the Celtic Taurisci, Scordisci and Boii westwards, away from Dacian lands and conquered the Greek ports of Pontus Euxinus (from Apollonia to Olbia). All Dacian men had bows with poisoned arrows and war knives. Even priests joined battles armed with a spear and a bow. Many of Burebista’s men were the inexperienced comati but he also had well trained troops comprised of proffesional soldiers that could be trusted to stand their ground and win the battle. Akantion Heavy Infantry consists of experienced soldiers and even nobles and wealthy people. In ancient Dacia it seams soldiers had a higher status than the common comati people. Many afforded iron or bronze helmets and had leather armour and even chainmail or scalemail armour. They wielded the well known akantion spear wich measured between 2,5 and 3 m and had an up to 50 cm blade.\n\nThis unit is to be avoided by cavalry, unless it's an attack from the rear, or mopping up routing units. These warriors had iron sleeves attached to the bottom of their spears to aid in bracing them against the ground, should foolhardy horsemen attempt a frontal assault. An extremely versatile, heavy spear infantry that most likely formed part of the Dacian standing army used to defend fortified strongholds. They also have the sica short sword or even a larger variant of the sica: the single handed falx. The specific sickle shape concentrated the weapon’s entire weight and, with it, the entire penetration force in the weapon’s point. It's maximum action was represented by the intense striking and cutting. These traits made it extremely dangerous, even when the enemy was protected by armour, a shield and a helmet. Potential injuries (cuts, splits) depended mostly on the intensity of the strike, on the experience of the striker, on the angle of incidence, but also on the part of the body that was affected. In the case of great amplitude strikes the ineptitude force, given by the weapon and arm’s weight, interfered.\n\nAkantion Heavy Infantry used the peltas oval shield for protection. Dacian infantry formations were a triangle for offensive manoeuvres against the Macedonian phalanx or Roman cohorts and horse shoe formation for defence. These spearmen had the role to protect the flanks against attacks from enemy cavalry and allow the more offensive and versatile elite troops of falxmen and fearsome and obscure wolf warriors to bring terror and rout the enemy forces. They were protected by lighter troops armed with bows, slings and javelins.
    {akantion_heavy_infantry_descr_short}
    Heavy infantry of the Dacians
    ¬----------------
    {bastarnae} Bastarnae
    {bastarnae_descr}
    Primary Armour = Flesh\nWild\nImpetuous\n\nThe ethnic origin of the Bastarnae remains mysterious. Polybus and the authors who copy him regard them as Galatae. Livy claims they are Celts. Strabo, Pliny, and Tacitus regard them as Germans. Tacitus expressly declares their German origin but says that the race was degraded by intermarriage with the Sarmatians.\n\nWhen they first appear in historical sources, they were settled in Galicia and Bukovina. In 230 BC they, along with the Scirii, besieged the Black Seaport of Olbia. In 200 BC they appeared on the lower Danube, and were used by Philip V of Macedon against his Thracian neighbours. Defeated, the Bastarnae returned north, some of their number settled on Peuce, an island in the Danube (hence tribal name, Peucini). Their main body occupied the country between the eastern Carpathians and the Danube. Before the coming of Zalmoxis, Bastarnae worshipped Gebeleizis as the supreme god, the master of the earth, sky, storms, thunder and lighting. He is also the god of war and of the military aristocracy.\n\nThe Bastarnae reputation as powerful warriors led Appian to call them "the bravest nation of all". As allies of Perseus of Macedonia, as subjects of the Sarmatians, and then as mercenaries under Mithridates the Great... They did not fear death as it was the link to their god and immortality. This extremely hardy, heavy infantry can be impetuous but will unleash a very powerful charge. They are excellent when used in forested areas and ambushes.
    {bastarnae_descr_short}
    Fierce warriors adept at close quarters against other infantry, Bastarnae may attack without orders.
    ¬----------------
    {thraikan_infantry} Thraikan Infantry
    {thraikan_infantry_descr}
    Primary Armour = Leather\nVery hardy\n\nThe Thracian warriors were described as "large, powerfully built men, mostly red or lighthaired and bearded, with grey or blue eyes. They had delicate white skin and tendency to put on flesh. Their hair was worn long or short, and straight, and sometimes dressed in a kind of top knot probably a sign of noble or warrior status. The chin-beard of the Thracian is characteristic of his race, the cheeks are shaved."\n\nThracian mercenaries were always in demand, as they were fierce fighters, especially in rocky or hilly regions similar to their homeland. Swords (kopis) and javelins were still carried by some Thracians, but they now also carried the single handed falx as a close quarter weapon.\n\nA very famous Thracian, Spartacus, was enslaved by the Romans, who then led a large slave uprising in Italy (73-71 BC). Before being defeated, his army of escaped gladiators and slaves defeated several Roman legions in what is known as the Third Servile War.
    {thraikan_infantry_descr_short}
    Fierce warriors adept at close quarters against other infantry.
    ¬----------------
    {daoi_elite_infantry} Daoi Elite Infantry
    {daoi_elite_infantry_descr}
    Primary Armour = Flesh\nElite\nWild\nImpetuous\n\nThe Daoi were the Dacian brotherhood of wolf warriors. Their initiations included tattooing, wearing wolf pelts, participation in rites designed to unleash aggression and diminish one's humanity, and give them heightened strength. The Dacians' ancestors were believed to have initiated some of the maenads' rituals, and to have been responsible for influence on the development of the berserkers. Daoi had rituals concerning transforming oneself into a wolf and were well known for the heightened strength, the aggression and the resistance to fire. It seems the Dacians practiced various forms of somafera. The brotherhood of wolf warriors had no fear of death, they were an elite and believed in immortality. These bloodthirsty men with animal-like qualites had to give up armour and shield to wield the two-handed falx properly. They were respected and feared. Death was the greatest privilege Daoi could achieve in battle. Zalmoxis waited for them in the afterlife, where they would enjoy all possible blessings for all eternity.\nThe falx was a frightful weapon: the curved blade was similar to a bill-hook and in the hands of a skilled warrior it was deadly and all the populations around Dacian territory learned to fear it. The cutting action was accomplished by a movement of hitting and pulling. The cutting was amplified by using both hands. When it was used correctly it could easily cut through a limb or behead an enemy. Because of the beak that resulted from the curved shape, it could pierce the helmets and armors, causing serious wounds or causing cerebral commotions when the head was hit.\nThe Dacian craftsmen made a large variety of tools and weapons. The iron pieces were created through hammering, heating, flattening and then shaping the desired shape of the object. The piece was cut with chisels and then welded through repeated hammering or drilled. The quality of the pieces is proven by the absence of slag traces in the finished pieces or by the absence of botched pieces. The different processes of hardening assured the toughness and resilience of the iron pieces. The craftsmanship of the native smith in regards to the hardening is demonstrated by the fact that all the pieces are hardened, and even more, the hardening is not uniform, but concentrated on the active parts of the piece.\n\nDacian warriors usually used the falx to break into compact enemy units, but it was equally useful against light cavalry due to its length. Warriors wielding the falx (similar to the Thracian rhomphaia) fought in small units, using the Scythians tactic of attacking in a wedge pointed towards the enemy. Because the weapon was double handed wolf warriors rarely used shields, as they would have hampered them in combat. Usually they fought bare-bosomed wearing a cap for protection.
    {daoi_elite_infantry_descr_short}
    Fierce warriors adept at close quarters against other infantry. The elite of Dacian infantry. Daoi may attack without orders.
    ¬----------------
    {dacian_elite_falxmen} Dacian Elite Falxmen
    {dacian_elite_falxmen_descr}
    Primary Armour = Metal\nElite\nVery Hardy\n\nThe only ones allowed to use the falx, a sacred weapon, were the elite troops of experienced soldiers and tarabostes. This was the case of Dacian Elite Falxmen formed from Dacian tribal leaders: the tarabostes, and very experienced soldiers, with tremendous reputation, true heroes of their times. At ease in the hills or open plains this men fear no adversary. They have one of the best weapons in the world: the dreaded falx. This larger version of the sica was used to hack down enemies with it’s curved blade. The shape of the blade concentrated the entire weight and penetration force of the weapon on it's tip. It’s slashing force is formidable. It even cut through wood and metal. It was so sharp and resistant it could cut off unprotected limbs entirely. The tip was also used as a hook to grab shields and helmets and leave the enemy defenceless. If the wielder had enough power the falx even pierced helmets crushing skulls.\nFalxmen were a military elite close to the king and even fought cavalry successful. Light cavalry was no match for them. This battle-hardened men used the tip of the sword as a hook and a pulling action to cut off horses legs. Some even had spears used for bowth throwing and thrusting. Using the falx, the Dacian warriors were able to counter the power of the compact, massed Roman formations. During the time of the Roman conquest of Dacia (101-102, 105-106 AD), legionaries had reinforcing iron straps applied to their helmets to make them more resitant to downward strokes. The Romans also introduced the use of leg and arm protectors (greaves and manica) as further protection against the falxes.\nOf the multitude of curved weapons used by the Dacians, the curved sword distinguishes itself through an elaborate morphology and through the technical traits that have assured for it a special place in the panoply of exceptional weaponry used in antiquity. The morphology of this type of sword called Sarmizegetusa, after its place of origin where most of the pieces have been discovered, shows a weapon of medium to large dimensions, with a total length set between 0.7 and 1 m, with a hilt that ends in a pommel, which can be used with one or both hands. The blade is triangular in section, with a considerable length and an elegant curvature ending in a sharp point. The fossilized remains of leather, discovered in the case of one example, strengthen the assumption that this type of curvature allowed the sword to be kept in a scabbard.\nThe basic element that contributed to the success of man-weapon duality was the mental construction of the one who handled the falx. The usage of this type of sword requires a certain type of heroism, combined with the weapon’s exceptional traits, a combination which justifies the almost exclusive association of the Dacians with Falx Dacica. The Dacians’ attachment to such a weapon consists not only in the quality of the material and the shape’s efficiency, however important these may be, but also in that certain detachment that Dacians had when it came to death and, not finally, with the magico-religious meaning which different types of weapon had in almost all the known civilizations, the relation between weapons and death being a constant that can be found nowadays also.\n\nRichly adorned with fine armour and superior weapons, it will be hard not to focus on these men during battles. Trajan perhaps said it best: "The Dacians go to their deaths, happier than in any other journey, which explains their courage and heroism in battle."
    {dacian_elite_falxmen_descr_short}
    Richly adorned with fine armour and superior weapons, it will be hard not to focus on these men during battles.
    ¬----------------
    {carpian_light_cavalry} Carpian LIght Cavalry
    {carpian_light_cavalry_descr}
    Primary Armour = Flesh\nHardy\n\nThe Carpians lived in Eastern Dacia. The vast plains from this land were ideal for cavalry. The Carpians were excellent horsemen, second only to their Iranian neighbors. They borrowed cavalry tactics from Scytho-Sarmatians as they were always in contact with this fearsome horse riders and also wore nomadic-like hard leather helmets but preffered to use the Dacian sica. They combined successfully elements from the Dacian and Scytho-Sarmatic worlds. These men, though essentially filling the same role as other mounted skirmishers, are better equipped and more experienced in battle. Not only can these men afford horses, but can also equip themselves with higher quality weapons, and what little armour such units choose to carry. They had bows with arrows dipped in viper blood and javelins used to weaken enemy lines and made use of daggers, light war axes and ultimately the effective sica with it’s curved blade to hack down lighter troops and routing opposition. Carpians used oval shields for protection and put them on their backs when running. Besides the peltas shield they also carried a small round shield called parma by ancient Italians.\n\nHard fighting, swift and maneuverable, they will perfectly compliment any force: well able to use hit-and-run tactics, skirmish, butcher fleeing foes or even run down lightly armed opponents.
    {carpian_light_cavalry_descr_short}
    These warriors are javelin-armed mounted skirmishers who can strike quickly and be gone before the enemy reacts.
    ¬----------------
    {dacian_light_cavalry} Dacian Light Cavalry
    {dacian_light_cavalry_descr}
    Primary Armour = Flesh\nVery Hardy\n\nThe Dacian horses were well-known in history because of their speed. The poet Ovid used epithets of rapidus and celer for the horses of the Gets. The Latin historian Vopiscus who lived in the times of Constantine the Great said that horses taken by the Roman warriors from the north of the Danube were neither beautiful nor big but could travel 100 miles per day (149 km) for 8-10 days at a time. The riders could take these animals up and down steep inclines, through densely wooded areas or quickly across open spaces. Tactically they would be used for ambushes or hit and run strikes against unsuspecting infantry. However they are very capable at causing serious damage to even heavy cavalry if directed correctly. The Dacian and the Sarmation cavalry were especially skilled in their use of the bow from horseback. Whilst they were moving or simulating a retreat they could turn with half of their body and fire upon their pursuers. Another part of the Dacian cavalry had spears. The spears and the darts of the cavalry had the shape of the Roman hastae and were used as a throwing weapon and a stabbing weapon. Some cavalry troops that fought with spears and arrows also wore shields. The Dacian shields had an oval shape that was more practical. They were more easily handled than the square shaped ones and covered only the chest and abdomen of the fighter. When they were running they put the shield on their backs. Dacian Light Cavalry made use of melee weapons as well. Each rider carried a sica, a shorter curved sword for close combat, a dagger or an axe.\n\n"A number of horsemen are struggling in the water. These are, perhaps, Dacian cavalry attempting an attack on a distant Roman fort during winter time over ice. The ice is insufficient to bear them, and they are seen struggling on the surface of the stream. One man has lost his shield. Two others up to their knees in water have recovered it. Friends on the bank give what help they can to the swimmers. Several horsemen unable to keep their seats are calling for help, and some are drowned, others scramble to the bank as best they can." (description of the Dacian cavalry trying to cross frozen river - John H. Pollen - Trajan Column)
    {dacian_light_cavalry_descr_short}
    Excellent 'hit and run' light cavalry.
    ¬----------------
    {carpian_heavy_cavalry} Carpian Heavy Cavalry
    {carpian_heavy_cavalry_descr}
    Primary Armour = Metal\nVery Hardy\n\nThe Carpians were attested by the name of Callipids (Calipizi) by Herodotus (484-425 BC) as the people that lived in the area between the Eastern Carpathian Mountains and the river Bug and by the name of Carpids (Carpizi) by Ephorus (400-330 BC). They were called Carpi by the Romans and together with Daci Magni and Costoboci were the only Dacian tribes that remained unconquered. Carpians learned the skills of horse riding and metalworking from their former masters, the Scytho-Sarmatians, and in time managed to dominate the surrounding tribes of Sarmatians, Germans and other Dacians. The group is first mentioned by Romans in the period following their annexation of Dacia. After 150 years of obscurity, the Carpi emerged in 240 AD as among Rome's most dangerous enemies. In the period 240-270 AD, the Carpi were an important component of a loose coalition of Transdanubian barbarian tribes that included also Germanic and Sarmatian elements. These were responsible for a series of large and devastating invasions of the Balkan regions of the empire which nearly caused its disintegration, but were ultimately repulsed.\nCarpian Heavy Cavalry are a necessity to the Dacians if they are to survive their neighbors. Those include the Sarmatian Iazyges and other subtribes of them, the Celtic Taurisci, Scordisci and Boii, the Germanic Bastarnae and others who want their fertile lands. A heavy force of cavalry is crucial for the defense of their regions. Carpian Heavy Cavalry are those. Using a heavy cavalry lance they are among the heaviest equipped in the realm. Carpian scalemail armour was a little bit different than Sarmatian one. It had the shape of a waistcoat or shirt and covered only the chest, the back, the elbows and abdomen until the knees. Carpian Heavy Cavalry used a Sarmatian lance called kontos by the Greeks and contus by Romans that measured 3 meters and had a deadly leaf-shaped spearhead. This heavily armed cavalrymen had no shields because they needed both hands to wield the kontos lance. They were exceptionall horsemen, directing the horse using their knees while holding this heavy lance. Carpians preffered not to cover their horses in armour for they used Dacian horses that were not as strong as the ones nomads had but they were renowned for their speed and stamina. For close combat they had sica swords or light war axes. Some even carried the Sarmatian two-handed sword called gladius praelongus or spata by the Romans.\n\nDacians used the best gear of everyone else around them to arm themselves. Clad in Sarmatian heavy scale cuirass and using the beautifully forged Phrygian helmets, which were constructed in the Hellenic colonies in the Northwestern Black Sea shores as well as the river mouth of Istros (now called Danube) Carpian Heavy Cavalry are a formidable force. They won their reputation through skill and valour in battle.
    {carpian_heavy_cavalry_descr_short}
    Heavy cavalry armed with be best Sarmatian armour and wearing beautiful decorated Phrygian helmets, Carpian Heavy Cavalry are armed with a 3 meter kontos lance.
    ¬----------------
    {dacian_mounted_tarabostes} Dacian Mounted Tarabostes
    {dacian_mounted_tarabostes_descr}
    Primary Armour = Metal\nElite\nHardy\nInspires Friendly Units\n\nThe Tarabostes are the nobility of the Dacian tribal society. They can, as a result of their wealth and status, afford the best equipment, such as their iron scale armour which offers valuable protection; while being flexible enough to allow them to wield their swords. Though most can afford a good war horse, they choose to fight on foot as a sign of their bravery; eager as they are to prove why they hold their privileged position in the tribe. Each infantry regiment has a Tarabostes captain that is required to lead and bolster the morale of his men. However, as often happens with the opportunistic nobility of most cultures, it is not unknown for conflict to arise between these men and the King; the latter feeling (sometimes justifiably!) threatened by the power and wealth these men hold. Despite this, any Dacian ruler would appreciate the presence of these men; they are keen, experienced, and mostly loyal fighters who will probably have something to gain from battle. Such is the reputation of these warriors; that their very presence on the battlefield inspires nearby troops to deeds of valour.
    {dacian_mounted_tarabostes_descr_short}
    The Tarabostes are the nobility of the Dacian tribal society.
    ¬----------------
    {dacian_warlord_general} Dacian Warlord General
    {dacian_warlord_general_descr}
    Primary Armour = Metal\nElite\nHardy\nInspires Friendly Units\n\nThe Warlord General, honour above reproach, loyalty until death. Their reputation is such that hundreds will desert to join them. Their presence alone can bolster wavering troops and cause panic in the enemy lines.\n\nBorn of the Tarabostes, molded by centuries of conflict and wisdom, these warriors fear nothing, not even death itself, as they deem themselves immortal. They are believed to have the bloodlines of Parthia, Sarmatia, Scythia and Thracia flowing through them. They have warred and befriended the Greeks, Macedonians, Spartans, Bastarnae and Boii. These conflicts have given the Warlord General a vast understanding of battle, and how to lead and inspire their men. All of the land, hills, valleys, mountains, plains and rivers are their ally.
    {dacian_warlord_general_descr_short}
    Bodyguard of the Dacian warlord, made up of his loyal and highly trained guard

Last edited by Visarion; April 06, 2012 at 12:35 PM.

What kind of sources do you have access to,...?

Artifex

good question! the internet frankly... I know it isn't much... yes you are probably right! you guys search for texts in dozens of books... and document your writing I simply search historical web pages and try to get to a conclusion... thank you for reminding me you are trying to recreate history too not only creating a "simulation of war"!

Edit: well I also read some online books but only scraps that interest me, to get to a more documented conclusion... but I don't keep them recorded...
    Last edited by Visarion; April 06, 2012 at 12:42 PM.