Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TROM3 - Gameplay Questions & Advices

Default Re: TROM3 - Gameplay Questions & Advices

Quote Originally Posted by uos_spo6 View Post
    I plan to make Sado my capital
    Don't.
    Unless I'm completely mistaken, having your capital on a island with only one port will cripple your trading ability. Plus, trade rights are necessary to your diplomatic efforts when playing Ikko Ikki.
    I reign with my left hand, I rule with my right
    I'm lord of all darkness, I'm queen of the night
    I've got the power
    Now do the march of the Black Queen

Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Poulp View Post
    Don't.
    Unless I'm completely mistaken, having your capital on a island with only one port will cripple your trading ability.
    Many ways to make money and peace besides trade. Piracy, Conquer and Loot poorly defended coastal settlements, marriage and bludgeoning.

I'm adopting a more rogue state effort with this particular Ikko venture
    The scribes on all the people shove
    And bawl allegiance to the state,
    But they who love the greater love
    Lay down their life; they do not hate

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

Hello everyone,

Is it possible for a commoner like myself with no modding experience to tweak certain values of the TROM economic system so to receive a little bit more koku per turn? I totally love the mod but without some extreme turtleling with little to no army on the edge of destruction (the AI can smell weakness) i cannot field a decent army to keep up with the AI (i.e. Mighty AI vs Weak/borderline Moderate player both with 3 territories).

Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Drowsy View Post
    Hello everyone,

Is it possible for a commoner like myself with no modding experience to tweak certain values of the TROM economic system so to receive a little bit more koku per turn? I totally love the mod but without some extreme turtleling with little to no army on the edge of destruction (the AI can smell weakness) i cannot field a decent army to keep up with the AI (i.e. Mighty AI vs Weak/borderline Moderate player both with 3 territories).

I personally wouldnt know how to tweak the economy dynamics of the game/mod themselves but i can teach you how to give yourself all the koku you want using a Mod Tool. You have to discipline yourself on it tho otherwise the game will lose competetive addiction. I occassionally will give myself a starting bump in koku if playing on harder difficulties to help get off the ground.

Look in the shogun 2 Mod Workshop > Mod Tools threads and find a tool called ESF editor, version 1.4.6 is what i use (i believe 1.4.8 sometimes corrupted saves when you edit the esf files). You start a campaign, save it, then exit to menu and you can go open your save game file thru the ESF editor to give yourself money. PM me for further details on where to find the field that must be altered if youre interested in this method
    The scribes on all the people shove
    And bawl allegiance to the state,
    But they who love the greater love
    Lay down their life; they do not hate

McCarronXLD's Avatar Senator

I'm used to relying on the quality of my units and standing toe to toe in line battles in most TW games, most notably NTW. With this mod however I find I really can't rely on unit quality, not even with my samurai, and I am especially at a loss with my ashigaru. Anyone have some basic army setups and tactic suggestions, especially for using ashigaru units well? Seems particularly difficult on this Ikko Ikki campaign.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

Elianus's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by McCarronXLD View Post
    I'm used to relying on the quality of my units and standing toe to toe in line battles in most TW games, most notably NTW. With this mod however I find I really can't rely on unit quality, not even with my samurai, and I am especially at a loss with my ashigaru. Anyone have some basic army setups and tactic suggestions, especially for using ashigaru units well? Seems particularly difficult on this Ikko Ikki campaign.
    I know exactly what you mean. This is more difficult to do in Shogun because the unit quality is similar in all factions. What I do is: form a line with my ashigaru and place matchlock and archer units in front of them (pull them back when the enemy gets close). Place yari samurai on the flanks to protect your line from cavalry. In addition make sure that you always keep some units behind your main line as a reserve (mainly naginata, daisho or no-dachi samurai) to reinforce your ashigaru where needed. You should also use nearby trees to hide your cavalry and order them to charge against the enemy rear once they clash with your main line. Oh! Do not forget to make sure that your general is where the fight is thickest so that your troops will benefit from his presence. Hope this helps
    Last edited by Elianus; August 18, 2011 at 06:18 AM.
    ''Πας μη Έλλην, βάρβαρος.''

english isn't my mother language, but i tried to explayn some basics.

have you tried the "premade" army formations? some of them really do work for me in trom - means they can give some nice options when the battle starts. of course they need to be tweaked a bit there and there.

on hard difficulty it doesn't seemt that hard for me to find a working unit composition, just take care that you don't rely too much on ranged units (but there should definely some ranged units in for tactical reasons - if used right they can get a lot of free kills before the real battle even has started or can brake a weavering unit) and you always need something nasty. "something nasty" means light cavalry scouts (or the ashigaru variant) or ninjas or well placed elite cavalry - if there is nothing better avayable even fire bomb throwers can be "nasty". if you play as the hattori, the most units could be "nasty" i think, i haven't tested the hattori for that reason yet, i prefer to play other clans.

the choosen "nasty unit(s)" (i prefer having at least 2 of them, sometimes 3, rare 4) have to be placed in the back of the enemy. "the back" doesnt mean "behind" the army, it means halfway betwen your army and the opotenents army at the border of the map (there should always be some nice hiding trees). that means, your opotenent must have a good reason to move his army in your direction (ranged units could help here - or even campaign map tactics - the CAI hates being sieged and hates armys standing in their way).

when the real battle starts, just wait until the most melee units are buisy ant charge the back of the general/missile units or if there is really nothing more vulnerable avayable - just charge the back of a melee unit.

even if the "nasty" unit have to run a longer distance, this still will have an impact on your opotenents army - even if he tries to react to your movement, he have to keep some of his melee units out of the fight for a while - this alone can grant you the victory. ninjas and scouts are perfect for this, other units need to travel some distance in a forest or need to take the long run around the enemy while loosing their surprise-effekt (even then they can still cause a lot of trouble).

watch out for weavering units in the melee on both sides, if there is a breach - use it! (this way, even melee units on foot can charge the back of the opotenents melee units or the front of missile units - even if it is a household missile unit and your melee unit won't be able to win the fight alone - keeping missile units buisy for just a while is still better then being shoot by them for a longer time.

be carefull with matchlock units, they will harm your own troops more than the enemy if your units are in the way. but they are not useles after the melee starts - just move them to the flanks of you army (watch out for countermovements) - a matchlock-volley in the flank of a unit already locked in melee can have a huge impact. even if the matchlock units geting chased by an infantry unit - just kite them. run away, shoot. run away, shoot. of course this only works if the chasing unit is slower then your matchlock unit, but if its an ongoing fight, melee units will be exhausted (and slow down a bit) fast. this keeps another melee unit out of the main battle, if it is an ashigaru unit, the matchlock could break the chasing unit alone in some situations - but this isn't necesary to be effektive, the archieved free kills + the missing melee unit in the main battle should give you an advance in the battle.

think about "unusual" stuff. for example, there are situations in which even yumi ashigaru should not auto-run away or even switch to atack mode (if a lonely cavalry unit tries to charge in your missile units if there are enough missile units around to root the cavalry unit before the impact, or if you have to intercept a more important unit for a few seconds before better melee infantry catch up, or if an almost defeatet unit tries to hunt one ore more of your missile units away from the main battle (sometimes some casualties are just worth it)).

army-composition....

just use a balanced mix of melee units, some ranged units (i prefer something around a loose 2:1 composition, but you should keep in mind which units are in the army (if your melee units are mostly ashigaru and your missile units are mostly samurai/monks, you could need more melee units than 2:1 and vice versa) + at least 2 "nasty units" as written before.

but i personally dont think that the army-composition is really such important. its more important that you know the weakness/strenght of your composition. you can see the opotenents army before the battle starts - compare your composition against the composition of your opotenent, then think about tactics. for example: if your opotenent lacks missile units (compared to your army) and cavalry, try to skirmish him. if your composition is superior to his in terms of missile units, but the missile range is still on his side, you need to use your missile units more aggressive than usual.

its more about the "how should i use what i have" than about "what should i use".

i am sorry for typos and/or even wrong words, but i dont have the time to check this yet, i have to run or someone will have to wait for me. ^^

edit: i almost forgot - never set up fire bomb throwers with auto-fire on. you need to controll them manually if you want or have to use them.
    Last edited by Chrysantheme; August 18, 2011 at 11:17 AM.

McCarronXLD's Avatar Senator

Thank you very much both of you for the advice I guess part of my problem is that it sounds like I am not making big enough armies.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by uos_spo6 View Post
    I personally wouldnt know how to tweak the economy dynamics of the game/mod themselves but i can teach you how to give yourself all the koku you want using a Mod Tool. You have to discipline yourself on it tho otherwise the game will lose competetive addiction. I occassionally will give myself a starting bump in koku if playing on harder difficulties to help get off the ground.

Look in the shogun 2 Mod Workshop > Mod Tools threads and find a tool called ESF editor, version 1.4.6 is what i use (i believe 1.4.8 sometimes corrupted saves when you edit the esf files). You start a campaign, save it, then exit to menu and you can go open your save game file thru the ESF editor to give yourself money. PM me for further details on where to find the field that must be altered if youre interested in this method
    I fixed it but thanks for the suggestions

Turns out (for me) it's better to wait untill Tax Reform is researched before 'ruining' my farming output with the (awesome) Ashigaru tree

Can You tell me what changes where made to the realm divide event?

RD has less a less high diplomacy penalty, and unlike vanilla the penalty will become smaller over time and not bigger. You havea chnace to keep allies now, but it depends very much on the faction interrelations at the time of the RD event.

[G-Shock]'s Avatar Semisalis

Long standing allies and vassals will stay on your side if you prepare for the final push stopping the conquests (- territorial expansion) and you give them GOLD. Small quantities but constantly.
    It does help a lot to also try to break the alliances of the majors who will oppose you. When they go to war with you with the RD event, the negative modifier for alliance (- enemy of my ally) will drag ALL of their allies against you (+enemy of my ally + RD = war with you).

I noticed when you play as minor clans heirs don't inherit the same portrait as the last daimyo when they become daimyo. Is it like this for all clans?

MagicCuboid's Avatar Biarchus

Sorry Joseph, don't know the answer.

I have a question about alliances. As the Takeda I've networked almost all of eastern Honshu into an alliance/trade zone with me at the top. I'm just routing out a few pesky clans to finish up the job before I set out west. I figure I have enough allies so I'll turn them into vassals.

However I've noticed that my bonuses to alliances and marriages slowly deteriorate over time. Some great allies that were once in the +200s are now falling below +100, and I'm wondering what I can do to mediate that? I want to have some clans on my side when Realm Divide hits...

Shogun's diplomacy is by far the biggest improvement in the TW series, I think. I've never had so much fun balancing power.
    "I've snapped and plotted all my life. There's no other way to be alive, king, and fifty all at once." - Henry II, The Lion in Winter

I was wondering if siege tower bunes are available in this mod. I've researched all the prerequisites, but I don't see them in the recruitment panel.
    I'm fine with Yumi siege tower bunes, but I'd prefer the matchlock ones.

How does the unit cap work? Is there a way to up it in-game? I am one territory away from RD and I only have 2 stacks.

skimyy's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Lithuex View Post
    How does the unit cap work? Is there a way to up it in-game? I am one territory away from RD and I only have 2 stacks.
    I am wanting to know this also

Saitouakira's Avatar Civis

ok, so i did not know where to post this but. how much different is this form darthmod and am i able to instal it on steam? and can i turn it off again to play darthmod again if i want?

Hello, really good work on making suck a great mod to such a perfect game!
    I have a question though, does this mod works with Darthmod?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado Outlaw View Post
    Hello, really good work on making suck a great mod to such a perfect game!
    I have a question though, does this mod works with Darthmod?
    Thanks.
    Of course not.
    TROM is an full Overhaul Mod, just like Darthmod, not some small modular mod to be added to a base Overhaul Mod.
    So, using this, you need to swap Darthmod for TROM, not adding one over another.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast