Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: TROM3 - Feedback and Suggestions

[G-Shock]'s Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: TROM3 - Feedback and Suggestions

b3 is just running sooo smooth.

i have witnessed the increase in autodisbanding after winning vs Ito in the middle of Hyuga (lost 2 units which had started depleted and ended... disbanded).
    At the first battle, Ito was defeated, withdrew and a few units survived, I won and lost 2 units, then automerged. At the second battle, as I said, Ito was wiped out and I lost 2 more units (despite manual merge).
    I think we're getting closer to the best solution. I would rise another 5% the losses for the winner. Also, the vast majority of troops killed in battle are from the routing.
    There's a very unfair advantage the player has on the AI. He can trample the routers until the very last man has exited the battle but the AI can't because as soon as all the player's units are routed the battle ends.

So... I think infantry should rout much much faster than this to give it a chance to escape.
    I am not sure routing and running are the same speed... if they are not, it should be easy to increase the routing speed.
    Eh... if they are... I am afraid we can work either on the fatigue rate of horses (if horses get tired more quickly, they won't be able to pursue the routing troops effectively once the battle is over and so more men will escape) or ... further drop the horse speeds. In either case if this is accomplished the AI's survivability will improve.

If possible, considering the suicidal tendencies of the AI generals, the morale drop from his death should be tuned down.
    I have won so many battles where I killed the general that I would have SURELY lost if its army had stood ground.

Final note: Otomo obliterated Shoni again.

As I move from faction to faction in the game. I always read up on them before I do, to get a perspective of what really happened. My knowledge is very poor but is something Im very interested in, so I research a bit. Enough about that and to the point. Im going to play as the Takeda next and was reading about them and more importantly Takeda Shingen. Seems he was a massively important figure that dies before he can truly take on the Oda-Tokugawa alliance. Who knows what would happen if he had lived longer in real life, the game allows us to recreate that to a point. I bring this up only because I think the bonuses for the faction I think could use tweaking. From what I read he was and thus the clan was very well organized and administered. So much so that his ideas were adopted by many, including his enemies. Including the Tokogowa and Oda. I dont know if the game only allows 4 bonuses, but I think the Takeda should get a bonus to faction administration and tax bonuses. Dont know what others think and will get more sources if neccesary. Have a read here and tell me what you think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeda_Shingen

I would also like to see the short campaign end around 1600-1604. Its the historical end to the period and gives you a little more time to finish of a turtled short campaign. I turtle as much as possible to give the ai time to build up and give me a challenge. Im starting to play more short campaigns as once the player gets 10+ provinces, the game is basically over. Long campaigns lose there appeal to me once I am the top faction. The AI can not coordinate attacks properly, they dont raid and run which would make sense but no TW game accurately portrays Total War.

I know this is a long shot but I figure I will throw it out there anyway. Instead of unit caps, is there anyway to tie Samurai recruitment to # of provinces you have or castle levels of those provinces? In my last Hojo campaigns, I played 199 turns total before getting my 40 provinces, turtle is my style. By the time I had 10 provinces the game was over. I couldnt build a big enough army to really expand further until I made my way in the Bushido arts to professional ashigura. But when I got to that I wanted to wait until my enemies could at least put up a weak defence to my military advances. With the low caps what I find is that ai factions with 5+ provinces are like dogs chasing there tail. What I mean is that either rebels or warring factions keep them reconquering the same provinces over in over in a circle. The AI never garrisons cities, which makes me think spawning bigger garrisons is necessary. I watched the Oda go round and round for over 10 years reconquering the same provinces. I honestly miss facing the massive 3 or 4 factions in game that vanilla had about 40 turns in. At least they could throw stacks at you and keep you on your toes. Right now its face one army and if you defeat that you get the province +plus 2-3 more with only fighting 800 man garrisons which I lose 0 men to in Autoresolve. Just seems from my reading of the period there were many more battles then what we can now simulate, no fault of the mod of course. Dont get me wrong as I do like the unit caps, it makes you divide your strength to defend your multiple fronts adequately. Just would like to either see them raised slightly or tied more to number of provinces or size of castles you have. I believe it would greatly help the AI put up a better fight

Loving the mod, cant wait to see how it continues to evolve
    Last edited by Americanus Supremus; August 14, 2011 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Americanus Supremus View Post
    As I move from faction to faction in the game. I always read up on them before I do, to get a perspective of what really happened. My knowledge is very poor but is something Im very interested in, so I research a bit. Enough about that and to the point. Im going to play as the Takeda next and was reading about them and more importantly Takeda Shingen. Seems he was a massively important figure that dies before he can truly take on the Oda-Tokugawa alliance. Who knows what would happen if he had lived longer in real life, the game allows us to recreate that to a point. I bring this up only because I think the bonuses for the faction I think could use tweaking. From what I read he was and thus the clan was very well organized and administered. So much so that his ideas were adopted by many, including his enemies. I dont know if the game only allows 4 bonuses, but I think the Takeda should get a bonus to faction administration and tax bonuses. Dont know what others think and will get more sources if neccesary. Have a read here and tell me what you think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeda_Shingen

I would also like to see the short campaign end around 1600-1604. Its the historical end to the period and gives you a little more time to finish of a turtled short campaign. I turtle as much as possible to give the ai time to build up and give me a challenge. Im starting to play more short campaigns as once the player gets 10+ provinces, the game is basically over. Long campaigns lose there appeal to me once I am the top faction. The AI can not coordinate attacks properly, they dont raid and run which would make sense but no TW game accurately portrays Total War.

I know this is a long shot but I figure I will throw it out there anyway. Instead of unit caps, is there anyway to tie Samurai recruitment to # of provinces you have or castle levels of those provinces? In my last Hojo campaigns, I played 199 turns total before getting my 40 provinces, turtle is my style. By the time I had 10 provinces the game was over. I couldnt build a big enough army to really expand further until I made my way in the Bushido arts to professional ashigura. But when I got to that I wanted to wait until my enemies could at least put up a weak defence to my military advances. With the low caps what I find is that ai factions with 5+ provinces are like dogs chasing there tail. What I mean is that either rebels or warring factions keep them reconquering the same provinces over in over in a circle. The AI never garrisons cities, which makes me think spawning bigger garrisons is necessary. I watched the Oda go round and round for over 10 years reconquering the same provinces. I honestly miss facing the massive 3 or 4 factions in game that vanilla had about 40 turns in. At least they could throw stacks at you and keep you on your toes. Right now its face one army and if you defeat that you get the province. Just seems from my reading of the period there were many more battles then what we can now simulate, no fault of the mod of course. Dont get me wrong as I do like the unit caps, it makes you divide your strength to defend your multiple fronts adequately. Just would like to either see them raised slightly or tied more to number of provinces or size of castles you have.

Loving the mod, cant wait to see how it continues to evolve
    i play a similar style. my first campaign as tokugawa on orig trom3 was on very hard and i had to turtle but by turn 200 i was on around 35 provinces and about to take kyoto but then the new beta got 2 tempting. by that stage of the campaign the a.i was attacking me on several fronts but due to upgraded teppos and the fact the a.i always attacked the one province was easy to defend then have a stack rdy to take a province.

however i wouldnt say the a.i was a pushover. just a bit predicatable.

switching to the new beta am playing as ikkos (vh) and raking in 6k koku a turn (but have a bank of 40k) and so far havent declared war on anyone and have defeated takeda/hojo/asai by around turn 100!

a.i is leaving province with no defences and i am simply inciting revolts turn after turn. its not a complete walk over but i can see myself winning by turn 150...

defending sieges are harder though atm as i lack teppos plus i do lose a few units so it is all good fun. id didnt think the ikkos would be this easy. am not blaming the mod, maybe its a lucky campaign (i did have to defeat several full stacks early on and survived with only a few units).

perhaps next campaign must be mori on legendary!

Elianus's Avatar Ordinarius

This mod is amazing. I especially love what you have done with the ashigaru units. Here are a few things I would like to suggest/point out/ask. I am sorry if these things have been brought up before.

1. I am certainly no expert on Japanese history and samurai warfare but some of the bonuses seem a bit weird. For example why do the Uesugi have better monk units (and the Date better No-Dachi). Why do the Tokugawa have not better matchlock units than most and so on. Would it be possible to make the faction bonuses and faction units more realistic (I could be wrong on this though)?

2. I know that the mod does not claim to be 100% historically accurate but should there be a tachi(only) samurai cavalry unit, daisho samurai or Kengo(?) with katana?

3. I find it odd that the Uma Mawari have less armor and morale (if I am ton mistaken) than Naginata cavalry while being more expensive. Is this intentional?

4. Would it be possible for the pike and shot ashigaru to form spear wall?

Once again great work and thank you for using your spare time to make this mod.
    ''Πας μη Έλλην, βάρβαρος.''

Quote Originally Posted by Elianus View Post
    This mod is amazing. I especially love what you have done with the ashigaru units. Here are a few things I would like to suggest/point out/ask. I am sorry if these things have been brought up before.

1. I am certainly no expert on Japanese history and samurai warfare but some of the bonuses seem a bit weird. For example why do the Uesugi have better monk units (and the Date better No-Dachi). Why do the Tokugawa have not better matchlock units than most and so on. Would it be possible to make the faction bonuses and faction units more realistic (I could be wrong on this though)?

2. I know that the mod does not claim to be 100% historically accurate but should there be a tachi(only) samurai cavalry unit, daisho samurai or Kengo(?) with katana?

3. I find it odd that the Uma Mawari have less armor and morale (if I am ton mistaken) than Naginata cavalry while being more expensive. Is this intentional?

4. Would it be possible for the pike and shot ashigaru to form spear wall?

Once again great work and thank you for using your spare time to make this mod.
    1. Obi Wan is my historical advisor. Ask him...

2. Hero units in general are for the flavour. Daisho samurai represent the basic bow and katana samurai. Tachi cavalry: see 3.

3. In v1.0 naginata cavalry is a bit more expensive. I am contemplating to give the tachi cavalry a limited bow capability with little ammo.

4. They form a spear square. That way they can still use matchlocks. Not shure if I can give them both.

Ducenarius

Minor detail but when you upgrade a Fortress to a Castle you go from a base garrison defender team of 1 Samurai Retainer, 2 Yari Ashi and 1 Bow Ashi to 1 Samurai, 2 Yari Ashi, 1 Onna Bushi. Would it be more in line with the progression to keep the 1 Bow Ashi in there for Castles as well as the added Onna? Realize its minor indeed but personally I tend to fight all battles out manually even if im severely out numbered and certain defeat just to inflict as many casualties as possible. That additional base garrison Bow Ashi in a besieged castle sure would buy me a few more minutes in the keep! =D
    The scribes on all the people shove
    And bawl allegiance to the state,
    But they who love the greater love
    Lay down their life; they do not hate

Ducenarius

is it possible to make it so that when you "liberate" a region as a vassal clan the free unit you receive in doing so is that particular AOR unit (where applicable)?

Quote Originally Posted by uos_spo6 View Post
    Minor detail but when you upgrade a Fortress to a Castle you go from a base garrison defender team of 1 Samurai Retainer, 2 Yari Ashi and 1 Bow Ashi to 1 Samurai, 2 Yari Ashi, 1 Onna Bushi. Would it be more in line with the progression to keep the 1 Bow Ashi in there for Castles as well as the added Onna? Realize its minor indeed but personally I tend to fight all battles out manually even if im severely out numbered and certain defeat just to inflict as many casualties as possible. That additional base garrison Bow Ashi in a besieged castle sure would buy me a few more minutes in the keep! =D
    i thought that the level 4 & 5 Castle chain in V1.0 had Kazayumi Ashigaru garrison.... i will look at that this afternoon.

is it possible to make it so that when you "liberate" a region as a vassal clan the free unit you receive in doing so is that particular AOR unit (where applicable)?
    I think i remember previously Yarkis saying that it is randomly generated, the modding capability may have changed since. well we can wish anyway
    京都への道は危険な旅です...

Quote Originally Posted by Xander86 View Post
    i thought that the level 4 & 5 Castle chain in V1.0 had Kazayumi Ashigaru garrison.... i will look at that this afternoon.
    I changed it a day before release to make the autocombat fix work. But he has a point: I should keep the archer garrison.

During a battle I placed my troops on a hill (for the obvious reasons), spearmen at the front and archers behind at the top of the hill. I was surprised to see however that my archers had the exact same range that they have on flat ground, so my men on the front where being shot at by enemy archers while mine could not shoot back because they were out of range. Shouldn't ranged troops get a range bonus when on higher ground!?!?

During a battle I placed my troops on a hill (for the obvious reasons), spearmen at the front and archers behind at the top of the hill. I was surprised to see however that my archers had the exact same range that they have on flat ground, so my men on the front where being shot at by enemy archers while mine could not shoot back because they were out of range. Shouldn't ranged troops get a range bonus when on higher ground!?!?
    I agree. But it's not something mods can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkis de Bodemloze View Post
    I agree. But it's not something mods can do.
    Is it hardcoded then?!? CA fails miserably once again

they get a accuracy bonus instead ("someone" told me...)....

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantheme View Post
    they get a accuracy bonus instead ("someone" told me...)....
    Because that is what really happened when archers shot at the other guys from the top of a hill, right?
    Oh wait.........
    This reminds me of a patch for Empire that made small ships have greater range than 1st rates (at least I think so). It was for ''gameplay reasons''......

Ducenarius

Because that is what really happened when archers shot at the other guys from the top of a hill, right?
    Oh wait.........
    This reminds me of a patch for Empire that made small ships have greater range than 1st rates (at least I think so). It was for ''gameplay reasons''......
    True but I think we can all agree a flawed game is better than no game and at least it's MODable, while not in all the aspects we'd hope. Can you imagine shogun 2 or any TW game for that matter with no MOD capabilities???? YIKES.

Then again, if we didn't know the glory of the MODDERs hard labor, I guess we wouldn't know what we were missing in the first place

True but I think we can all agree a flawed game is better than no game and at least it's MODable, while not in all the aspects we'd hope. Can you imagine shogun 2 or any TW game for that matter with no MOD capabilities???? YIKES.

Then again, if we didn't know the glory of the MODDERs hard labor, I guess we wouldn't know what we were missing in the first place

if you think about it, yes. it is much easier to shoot downhill than on a flat plane (not to mention uphill )

but i am still of an opinion that at least a slight range boost should've been in order (considering the laughable heights of the hills in STW2, the range increase shouldn't be more than 10-15m and that's being very generous. still, even one "free volley" might mean the difference between a victory and a defeat ). it's probably one of the many "leftovers" from the ETW/NTW iteration of the engine (the "line infantry" realignment behaviour of the archers is far more annoying than the lack of a range bonus, imho)

btw, suggestion time!

not something i've seen too often (i think only vragos did it) and the recent DLC announcement reminded me: mounted heroes! it only makes sense that "the elite of the elite" would have enough $$$ to afford a horse (plus, it's really easy to dismount and they're already quite low in numbers )
    "Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living."

Quote Originally Posted by raest View Post
    if you think about it, yes. it is much easier to shoot downhill than on a flat plane (not to mention uphill )

but i am still of an opinion that at least a slight range boost should've been in order (considering the laughable heights of the hills in STW2, the range increase shouldn't be more than 10-15m and that's being very generous. still, even one "free volley" might mean the difference between a victory and a defeat ). it's probably one of the many "leftovers" from the ETW/NTW iteration of the engine (the "line infantry" realignment behaviour of the archers is far more annoying than the lack of a range bonus, imho)

btw, suggestion time!

not something i've seen too often (i think only vragos did it) and the recent DLC announcement reminded me: mounted heroes! it only makes sense that "the elite of the elite" would have enough $$$ to afford a horse (plus, it's really easy to dismount and they're already quite low in numbers )

True but still, the main bonus should be range. Some of the hills seem pretty tall
    I have a question: did the no-dachi samurai really have ''light'' (less) armour historically? I mean, they are household units. Would it be possible to make the unit better armoured both in stats and visually (like using another model)?

True but still, the main bonus should be range. Some of the hills seem pretty tall
    I have a question: did the no-dachi samurai really have ''light'' (less) armour historically? I mean, they are household units. Would it be possible to make the unit better armoured both in stats and visually (like using another model)?
    Historically all samurai had the same armor (maybe archers got rid of their helm when shooting). In TROM3 they have much more armor then vanilla, but still a bit less the standard household samurai just to differentiate units more.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkis de Bodemloze View Post
    Historically all samurai had the same armor (maybe archers got rid of their helm when shooting). In TROM3 they have much more armor then vanilla, but still a bit less the standard household samurai just to differentiate units more.
    Is this not already done by their weapon-->role? Do not get me wrong, I really appreciate what you have done with the mod and this is a minor thing (and certainly the modders' choice to make). It just doesn't feel right.....

EDIT: Just played a battle with the Takeda and I noticed that their Tachi Cavalry can't hide in woodland.
    Last edited by Elianus; August 18, 2011 at 03:47 PM.