Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: v2.6 Tolkien Quotes Submod == Updated 28th Jan 2015

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: v2.5.2 Tolkien Quotes Submod == Updated 10th May 2012

Thanks J'
    Will look trough it tomorrow (drunk atm, not a good time for scrutiny of lore and grammar ^^)

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Default Re: v2.5.2 Tolkien Quotes Submod == Updated 10th May 2012

Worked trough them, made changes and looked trough the source material; good work mate helping me spot all these issues

In some cases it had become all wrong. 538 for example should be "That is" and reentered should naturally be re-entered
    Tolkien, in all my english editions use '...' and not "..." however when people speak, so I stick to that
    Concerning 811 and 812 those must been the last missed brackets from the old versions, as I in the beginning used such, removed now, and worked both into one quote and added a new one.
    The Hobbit, 847, have these punctuations, guess it some kind of old fascion style.
    Last edited by Ngugi; November 24, 2012 at 10:18 AM.

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Default Re: v2.5.3 Tolkien Quotes Submod == Updated 24th Nov 2012

version 2.5.3 released
    Have a nice saturday

Jabberjaw's Avatar Libertus

Hi Ngugi,

I have quickly rechecked the changes in 2.5.3 and have a couple of final comments:

{Author_223}Sauron's forces is cast out, Unfinished Tales
    The "is" still looks strange here. Are you sure it's not "are"?

{Quote_109}'Fealty with love, valor with honour, oath-breaking with vengeance.'
    valour

Otherwise looking good!

Default Re: v2.5.31 Tolkien Quotes Submod == Updated 25th Nov 2012

Updated v2.5.31 thus

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberjaw View Post
    Hi Ngugi,

I have quickly rechecked the changes in 2.5.3 and have a couple of final comments:

{Author_223}Sauron's forces is cast out, Unfinished Tales
    The "is" still looks strange here. Are you sure it's not "are"?

{Quote_109}'Fealty with love, valor with honour, oath-breaking with vengeance.'
    valour

Otherwise looking good!
    Valor is American English (most common), Valour is the "other" English.

Oui oui, still Tolkien to little surprise went with that "other" English haha
    'And this do I hear, Denethor son of Ecthelion, Lord of Gondor, Steward of the High King, and I will not forget it, nor fail to reward that which is given: fealty with love, valour with honour, oath-breaking with vengeance.’ Then Pippin received back his sword and put it in its sheath.
    - RotK

Well, whatever your viewpoint, these forms are both historically interchangeable and 'valid' (with Am.Eng [and to a lesser extent Aussie English] often preserving older forms that were formerly common in Br.Eng) - it often boils down to precedence and personal preference - and I guess for Prof. Tolkien, with his conservative British upbringings, he chose the variant most familiar to his surroundings.

Perhaps of greater concern for him, particularly throughout the later years of his life, was those dreaded printer's errors (a useful summary of which can be found at www.tolkiensociety.org/tolkien/tale.html) where not just spellings but entire words were changed... And now with so many text versions out there, it's also hard to know which is the most "correct" per Tolkien's vision, since none of them are 100.00% accurate. But that's the topic of another thread I guess...
    Last edited by Jabberjaw; November 26, 2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: typo

MIKE's just one messing american

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    MIKE's just one messing american
    LOL - I know... that's why I try not to take these forums too seriously. But the academic in me always seeks to explore & explain...

Default Re: v2.6 Tolkien Quotes Submod == Updated 28th Jan 2015

Version 2.6 released, free to use as always; thanks to Veteraan for his editorial work

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234