Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: v2.6 Tolkien Quotes Submod == Updated 28th Jan 2015

Hero of the West's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: MOS-users PLEASE COMMENT!! -- Tolkien Quotes Submod v1.4.1

i think it is "AT the council of elrond" not "in" but english is not my language

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

I like direct quotes. If it's obscure then so be it. I like the way that Tolkien strings words together; changing them to make sense out of context would lose that in a lot of cases.

Khales's Avatar Ducenarius

I´d also like to see more screens taken from drawings then from the movies, if possible.

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Hero of the West View Post
    i think it is "AT the council of elrond" not "in" but english is not my language
    You may right, english is not my language too.
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

Great would be just...... Great to have it in MOS.

I am sad that i can't read those quotes because mine computer ends loading in 2-5 sec

Borussia Dortmund fan

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Great would be just...... Great to have it in MOS.

I am sad that i can't read those quotes because mine computer ends loading in 2-5 sec
    It's usually a bit of a rush to read them, never get to finish medium or long ones
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Thanks for the input guy's, will try to summon it up now but keep it coming if I get the general opinion wrong or you haven't put forth your opinion yet

As it seems to me what we want is
    - quotes that aint to long [subjective of course, but anyway a guide line]
    - quotes straight taken from the books = unchanged
    - use the author-line to explain the quotes situation/persons/points, if possible*
    - if alteration is needed the changes should not be [marked] but "sneaked" in - if I "won't betray JRR texts" to cite Vifarc. I wont haha ^^

* The author-line is ATM bult up as this: - Person, Chapter or - Person, Book (if other than LotR) or -Person, Book; Chapter (another version of if not LotR)
    If the author-line is to be used to make quotes more understandable, should the source info be shortened?
    Perhaps just book? Example: - Saruman the White, The Return of the King
    Or shortening of book names? Example: - Saruman the White, RotK
    What would you whish?

EDIT: And what about my handling of semicolon (see OP)? I you have opinions your welcome to bring that forth
    Last edited by Ngugi; July 07, 2011 at 11:25 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Default Re: MOS-users PLEASE COMMENT! -- Tolkien Quotes Submod v1.4.1

i like your mod as it is...meaning with the [explanations] ...since it helps you understand who did what to whom ...

regarding the length ,keep it up to 2 full lines max...i believe that longer than that it's just gonna be hard to read in the given time and kinna harsh to the eye..

keep in mind that...usualy ,noone really cares about the quote

in my opinion your mod is great because

1) it has variety (700 quotes will never bore you)
    2) the lay-out is smooth (in terms of the loading screen's size and form...)
    3) if someone really cares to read the quote-meaning actualy read it and think/imagine like when reading a book - he is actually capable of doing it in the given time

so ,as far as i see it...if you should invest more time in this ,just put more quotes or just make a "better" selection of them ,choosing more stuff regarding the main characters or other stuff
    (maybe cuting the second age ones that are not so relevant to the game's timeframe-ring war)

but as i said ..it's really great as it is! if it ain't broken why fix it ?

Default Re: MOS-users PLEASE COMMENT! -- Tolkien Quotes Submod v1.4.1

Quote Originally Posted by Noobas View Post
    i like your mod as it is...meaning with the [explanations] ...since it helps you understand who did what to whom ...

regarding the length ,keep it up to 2 full lines max...i believe that longer than that it's just gonna be hard to read in the given time and kinna harsh to the eye..

keep in mind that...usualy ,noone really cares about the quote

in my opinion your mod is great because

1) it has variety (700 quotes will never bore you)
    2) the lay-out is smooth (in terms of the loading screen's size and form...)
    3) if someone really cares to read the quote-meaning actualy read it and think/imagine like when reading a book - he is actually capable of doing it in the given time

so ,as far as i see it...if you should invest more time in this ,just put more quotes or just make a "better" selection of them ,choosing more stuff regarding the main characters or other stuff
    (maybe cuting the second age ones that are not so relevant to the game's timeframe-ring war)

but as i said ..it's really great as it is! if it ain't broken why fix it ?
    Indeed Noobas, a strong side with the [...] is that you enhance the flow of the situation, the reader who even if they read Tolkien over and over, cant remember all phrases and circumstances for a quote, thus all 'he', 'she', 'they' and so on will make the reader gain less from them, even if explanations are at the end...

Lenght is a serious matter; longer than 2 lines are never ever a good option ^^

Nope, but that is also often because you read them a zillion times, the diveristy makes them more interesting [human psychology: new things crave our interest]. Still, often people wont care to read at all, I know

Thanks, appriciate yout point of view on the work
    Agree, as I am to make the mod a 'make over' I will take a carefull look upon which quotes thar are in atm and if to replace them/update them.

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Default Re: v2.0 Tolkien Quotes Submod

Want to say thank you to all who participated and shared their opinion once more - thus I have been able to make the now uploaded v2.0 as I hope all will find improves the short moments of load screen reading material

@ Khales: Not an unpleasant idea. As I wont have time to begin such an endeavour this summer I could always encourage you to drop it at more places and perhaps someone will like the idea and make something out of it

Just a note on a quote i just saw; "if by life or death i can save you etc."(that quote), the attribute is "Strider the Ranger, Strider". I think it would read better as Aragorn the Ranger, Strider. The first is accurate but the repetition just doesn't sit right with me

@ smoesville
    True, true, remember it as a "will take a look on it later" hehe, missed it apparently. Will alter it with your suggestion for next version; if you want to get it changed right now just open quotes.txt > look up {Author_57} and change the name

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    @ smoesville
    True, true, remember it as a "will take a look on it later" hehe, missed it apparently. Will alter it with your suggestion for next version; if you want to get it changed right now just open quotes.txt > look up {Author_57} and change the name
    I did that

Default Re: v2.2 Tolkien Quotes Submod == Uploaded 15/10-2011

Hello friends!
    Done some polishing, updates and plain typo-corrections since 2.1. Hope you'll enjoy!

regards Ngugi

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: v2.2 Tolkien Quotes Submod == Updated 15/10-2011

nice job here

@ Beorn
    Thanks

TiFlo's Avatar Semisalis

Downloading. Thank you for sharing!

Default Re: v2.5 Tolkien Quotes Submod == Released 25 feb 2012

Made a little 'janitor work' and release this upgrade to my fellow gamers

Both files are needed to get to full joy of the update; without the new descr_transcription_screen.txt the 50 new quotes will be lost so I encourage everybody who got the first one by now to the get both two files
    Last edited by Ngugi; February 25, 2012 at 07:36 PM.

Great work my friend

The Orcs of Gundabad Erin go Bragh FROGS

When I came back to Dublin I was court marshaled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence"
    Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire
    The English lost an Empire

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
    - Quentin Crisp

There is one weapon that the British cannot take away from us: we can ignore them.
    - Michael Collins

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken.
    - Bobby Sands

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast