Thread: Success in Messana

GambleFish's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Success in Messana

I found something odd when I started a new game as Rome on H/H. I spent all my money recruiting men in Messana - 2 Hastati and 2 Town Watch. Then, when Hannibal attacked, he didn't assault! He started starving the garrison out. This gave me time to move my Southern legion to Italy and fight off the Carthaginian attack. This startegy not only saved Messana, it got a legion onto Italy with a base to withdraw to and a source of men. I stand a good chance of fighting off Hannibal and the other armies.
    The fail whale.

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
    ██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
    ████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

Your new to SPQR I Suggest playing on M/M you wont finish your campaign otherwise. If SQPR fans that have been playing for a year play on M/M what does that tell you?

Lt
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

First, i noticed the same with juz 2 extra hastatii units. And Second he doesnt starve you out but builds up stacks of batering rams to try and break trough on all sides.

Juz a few more units changes the AI's complete assault strategy allowing a window of opertunity to push Hanibal back. I chose not to, but it still felt as a victory as i got his elephants running amok in teh midsts of there peoni and round shield cavalry and general in a narrow street :wink:

there own elephants killed Hanibal, descimated his heavy infantery and killed his cavalry, i actually won with the normal garrison+2 hastatii. I think there own elephants kileld well into the hunderds of there own men, mostly there best troops aswell.

Maron's Avatar I'm afraid of everyone

i won with the garrison...

all u gotta do is line up the velites behind the wall.

they should kill all elephants.
    In the Legion of Rahl Under the patronage of Corporal_Hicks

“I grew up middle class, white, my parents loved me. So I might not necessarily relate to what your circumstances were. I hear them and understand them, but that’s not an excuse for you to fail. Don’t come in here and say, ‘Well, you know, that’s just kind of the way I was brought up.’ No. If you’re in a bad way right now, it’s because of the choices you made in response to your circumstances. So change your choices.” -Gene Chizik

GambleFish's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by lt1956
    Your new to SPQR I Suggest playing on M/M you wont finish your campaign otherwise. If SQPR fans that have been playing for a year play on M/M what does that tell you?

Lt
    It tells me I was just testing, lol.

I got overconfident fighting as Greec and Armenia, so I'll learn.

For now, I will continue the campaign.

@ Maron - I got all three elephant units to run amok my firs time through but only after one broke through a wall.

They killed 1000 or so of Hannibals men, tho...
    The fail whale.

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
    ██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
    ████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

Yeah I also won with the garrison. Just set them up at the wall and have them hail pila down on the elephants, but the next turn hannibal returned minus the elephants and taught me a lesson in humility. The garrison never stood a chance.

LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!

All you need are 3 velites to stop the elephants and you're good because he doesn't attack much more after that due to the lack of elephants.

Adnan