Thread: A few questions

Default A few questions

Greetings!
    After many years of playing only Europa Barbarorum I decided to give this mod a try and I'm realy enjoying the diversity of factions and units.

But I have a few questions:
    I started a provincial campain with Lusitanians (very hard campain, medium battles and huge unit settings) and invaded a town south of my territory with Viriato and more than 3000 man. and noticed that siege battles are very clumsy in this settings, units will run around in a terrible pathfinding and the defenders in the town center will eventualy be able to repel my own men even if outnumbered many many times (I killed 60% of their army with only 4% loses before they got there).
    What are the recomended settings for this mod? Normal unit size? I usualy have no problam playing in Huge with Vanilla and EB.... And where should a begginer to this mod start? Provincial campain or imperial campain, what are the main diferences?

And how historical are the units supposed to be, I mean, I found a bit strange to have Berserkers with Lusos (not that I mind, I love berserkers )?

And horses sending men flying many meters just for passing by isnt a "bit irrealistic"? lol

Anyway, I'm realing enjoying the mod, it looks that It'll be a bit dificult to me to adapt but it seems to worth it, many thanks to the team =)

Edit: After playing the mod a little more:
    - The sound system and music kicks ass =)
    - I've started a provincial campain with romans (well, at least I know how to fight with them, lol) and I realy love the missions but I dont see them being recorded anywhere, that could be bad if the player forget what is to be done....
    - There is a narrator talking in the background but its a bit dificult to understand everything that he's saying , maybe some subs (in the same language) would help a lot.

- The new battle system seems to be very in interesting and chalenging for field battles but is a real nightmare in sieges, is this supposed to be like this? To represent heroic defense of own houses and families?
    PS: I see that this is going to get fixed in Platinium, thats good!

Anyway, I'm getting pretty addicted to this, the worst part will be to get up tomorrow to work, haha.
    Last edited by LusitanianWolf; May 22, 2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: After playing the mod a little more

Default Re: A few questions

I know this forum is almost dead and that I'll be writing for nothing but here it is:

After some time of playing I'm getting realy in love with this mod!
    The battle system takes some time to get used to but is pretty addicting! Maybe a bit more letality would be nice but I doubt it could be achieved easily without disrupting the feeling we get now. Maybe I will try messing a bit with the EDU but I doubt I'll achieve a better balance.

After some experimenting with other campains I've settled in a Lusitanian provincial campain (H/M, I was afraid of putting battles above medium because of EB experience but here I've seen that I can get them highter without problem) and it was being epic (at the moment I'm at war with almost everyone in the iberian peninsula XD) but I've started having weird CTDs all the time and I think I'll have to quit it =( After battle report, after end turn but more strangely when selecting units in the campain I've tryed many different things (not activating sctript, auto_win, changing CPU affinity, etc) but even when it seems that I avoided it it comes a bit later =(

So, I'll have to abandoun my beautifull campain (I'll probably try to reinstall 1st) but the good news are that all factions seems awesome so I'm eager to try them (even if I was getting the touch of the all skirmisher lusitanian army, even more than I could in EB).

Any way a big THANK YOU to the ITW team, and I'm realy hoping to hear more from you in the near future!
    Cheers / Saudações/ Salutos!

debux's Avatar Senator

This is strange: no activity here. It's a shame, I was only able to play Gold and found it super annoying to win a battle with 3000 troops involved and winning the battle with only 12 losses. I'm really hoping that Platinum works out.
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

Quote Originally Posted by debux View Post
    This is strange: no activity here. It's a shame, I was only able to play Gold and found it super annoying to win a battle with 3000 troops involved and winning the battle with only 12 losses. I'm really hoping that Platinum works out.
    That happens a lot in the begining of the campain but once you get more into it you'll get battles a lot more bloddy for both sides. But I'm also wishing for platinium to make it a bit less abusive.

Btw, my provincial campain is playable no more due to crazy amounghts of CTDs =(

debux's Avatar Senator

Are you using the auto-save feature? This usually makes savegames get corrupted and buggy
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

Quote Originally Posted by debux View Post
    Are you using the auto-save feature? This usually makes savegames get corrupted and buggy
    Yes, I do, didnt know about that! And since I'm allways doing perma saves I can turn that off. I gess that is what's been corrupting my EB an ITW games that much that I can never have very long campains! Many Thanks!

debux's Avatar Senator

Hopefully that will solve many of your problems, EB is known for being very complex and fussy with your saves