Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: -- Before posting: How to report errors, fix stability, Vista, Win 7 issues (incl. fatal graphics errors) and broken savegames --

Germanicu5's Avatar Will buy spare time...

Default -- Before posting: How to report errors, fix stability, Vista, Win 7 issues (incl. fatal graphics errors) and broken savegames --

How to report CTD issues
    a. Try to supply a savegame made before a battle that crashed. Zip it and attach it to your post.
    b. Edit your mod's .cfg file, so that it contains this section:
    [log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt
    level = * trace
    ;level = * error

Error log will be found in main MTW directory in "logs" folder. Zip it before attaching.

I can recommend following actions as steps that can directly influence your game's stability, they won't always work, but are worth trying:

Absolutely necessary - run the game or RBAI setup as administrator or you'll experience fatal graphics errors, CTDs and other issues (particularly on Win7 and Vista).
    Short How-to on fixing this:
    Right-click mod's (or RBAI setup) icon, choose Properties, choose Shortcut tab, click Advanced, tick "Run as administrator", then click "ok".

1) delete all map.rwm files from data\world\maps\ - do that each time after updating mod files
    2) delete strings.bin files from data\text\ folder - rarely necessary
    3) disable file cache - fixes old savegames
    Disabling file cache is done via mod's .cfg file, relevant section needs to contain the line:
    [io]
    file_first = true
    disable_file_cache = true

It's vital if you play a mod that's frequently updated, in many cases you wouldn't be able to continue your previously saved campaign with cache enabled - my recent research shows that the game will allow you to play on in "compatibility mode" when cache is disabled, whereas normally some battles wouldn't load. And there might be more to it.

A known symptom that could indicate disabling file cache would help is a CTD preceded by random texture errors found in game's log, directly before its end.

To make sure your error log contains enough data mod's .cfg file needs to be edited (extended logging courtesy of wilddog and Augustus Lucifer):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    [log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt
    level = * trace
    ;level = * error
    ------------------------------------
    this version for maximum data:

[ai]
    ltgd_logging = true

[log]
    to=logs/auh.system.log.txt
    level = * trace
    file = game.script.* logs/pkh.script2.log.txt
    file = game.script* logs/pkh.script.log.txt
    file = game.script logs/pkh.scriptoutput.log.txt
    file = ai.ltgd logs/pkh.ai.log.txt

Detailed research here.

Additional common CTD solutions:
    4) disable the advisor - crucial to maintain battle stability
    5) turn UAC (User Account Control) off, if using Vista/Win 7 and proceed to step 6 - absolutely necessary to keep any stability
    6) reinstall MTW and\or mod
    7) turn autosaving off - may help in getting rid of campaign map CTDs

Other means of keeping good stability:
    8) reinstall graphics card drivers
    9) don't use multiple submods without making sure they're compatible

Extended info on disabling UAC in Vista\Win 7:
    a. Win 7 - Press Start, write "UAC" in search window, "Change User Account Control settings" should be found - click it.
    Move the slider downwards to "never notify" position.
    b. Vista - Try Win 7 method, but untick "Use User Account Control..."; alternatively you can go to main User Accounts page in Control Panel, click "Change Security Settings" and then untick beforementioned element.
    c. Press "OK". Then restart computer.

d. I recommend uninstalling desired mod and making sure its "data" directory is deleted (you can keep saves, preferences etc).
    e. Find compatibility folder and delete it, make sure you backup any savegames found there (there might be no saves inside as well):
    C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Sega\Medieval2 Total War (default path, could differ a bit)
    f. Install mod again following usual routine.

g. For players confident that they installed correctly: skip uninstalling part and go straight from "c" to "e".

Regards
    Last edited by Germanicu5; July 28, 2011 at 08:48 AM.
    I have no memory of this place.

Default Re: -- Before posting: How to report errors, fix stability, Vista, Win 7 issues (incl. fatal graphics errors) and broken savegames --

Just a small suggestion: After changing UAC settings you must restart the computer in order for the changes to take effect.

Default Re: -- Before posting: How to report errors, fix stability, Vista, Win 7 issues (incl. fatal graphics errors) and broken savegames --

I thought there was a prompt for it... anyway I added this info, thx.

Regards

good4eL's Avatar Civis

If in parent folder M2TW there is no .cfg files of the originals mods. What should I do if?

good4eL's Avatar Civis

I have two CTD's.

What I did before entering game. I setup file in mods folder then chose "crusade" campaign and ticked only AI and Hardcore options. After closing window I put battle_config.xml file into the data folder of "crusades" mod.

First CTD I got when already entered in a battle(fast battle) and clicked on a "start".
    Second CTD I got when clicked on a faction emblem in the right bottom near the turn changer.

Here is a link with ten mb system.log file. http://www.2shared.com/document/lv0faa-_/systemlog.html

=================================

Even after deactivated AI and Hardcore options I have CTD. My origional mod now is not working and I need to reinstall a game.
    Last edited by good4eL; June 13, 2011 at 06:44 AM.

This line (and many other) indicates that installation was incorrect and RBAI files aren't in place, probably due to UAC being active:

22:17:21.584 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0018_UI_Panel_Overview_Financial_Trigger> fired

Regards

P.S. You can add some entries to medieval2.preference.cfg instead of mod's cfg file (I don't quite recall what .cfg files official kingdoms mods use).

Regards
    Last edited by Germanicu5; June 13, 2011 at 06:49 AM.

good4eL's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Germanicu5 View Post
    This line (and many other) indicates that installation was incorrect and RBAI files aren't in place, probably due to UAC being active:

22:17:21.584 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0018_UI_Panel_Overview_Financial_Trigger> fired

Regards
    Excuse me, where did you write in "installation note" that I had to deactivate UAC control before starting setup?

Maybe I'm blind, but read the instructions carefully to install.

========================

I'll reinstall MTW and RBAI and leave a post after.
    Last edited by good4eL; June 13, 2011 at 09:56 AM.

hello germanicu5 when i start a battle and press on ''start deployment'' it crashes to de desktop and says: ''medieval 2: total war encountered an unspecified error and will now exit'' i have a clean instalation of medieval 2 kingdoms 1.5 THERA mod and install it normally with the setup what to do :S please tell me i want to play your mod

Hiya and welcome to the forums.

This typically happens with custom battles when strings.bin files are faulty, maybe you used older release or ReallyBadAI (initially such error might occur), I suggest redownloading and reinstalling AI.

If it also happens during campaign, then it might be general installation or UAC issue.

Regards

Protector's Avatar Senator

Hi,

cant get it to run, I followed you advice to install 1 level up to BC directory.
    In my case its: (E)SEGA\MTW2\mods\Broken_Crecent. So I installed it in mods.

BTW I got a total new cpu, total new and clean install of all games, I also believe I followed correct your install instructions but I got this error message can you help me with this ?
    Thx in advance.
    Last edited by Protector; July 03, 2011 at 01:21 PM.

Sorry,
    forgot in addition the 2nd error message

You tried to install ReallyBadAI Hardcore without installing basic RBAI, it says in description it's an addon, so you need to tick both.

Regards

Thx for reply,

when I tick both or only the basic one I get this error message:
    Last edited by Protector; July 04, 2011 at 05:20 AM.

oke thankyou i hope that it wil work

Quote Originally Posted by Protector View Post
    Thx for reply,

when I tick both or only the basic one I get this error message:
    That's because you're not supposed to apply Universal version, but BC-specific. It doesn't show up on the list because it's in non standard directory. See p.5c in this thread for instructions.

Regards

P.S. I'll post an update with an option to show all available modifiactions for all mods in several days.

Sorry, but I still dont get it:

When I follow your hint "it's in non standard directory -install one directory above" I also get the same error message from post #13

So I installed in mods directory + one dir above and got now this (screen 1-4). Meanwhile I also uninstalled all of your BAI and did all install steps again according to your install instructions, but still same issue.

What wonders me is that in file [works for] it says correct: broken_crecent_kingdoms, but when I klick on Broken Crecent with your BAI launcher it uses the SS launcher instead of the BC launcher (last screen).
    Last edited by Protector; July 07, 2011 at 01:33 PM.

The entries you modify are case-sensitive, so if the directory is in fact "Broken_Crescent_kingodoms" instead of "broken_crescent_kingdoms" the BC-dedicated version won't show up.

The launcher you're talking about isn't a launcher, but a setup program that applies AI. You're meant to run BC as usual after applying AI.

Regards

o.k.

I am one step further now thx Germanicu5,
    In the Script Handler BC now is finally visable due to "Broken_Crescent_kingdoms" instead of "broken_crescent_kingdoms

But I still get now this error message that in this config_battle.xml file "unit-tasks" is missing":
    Last edited by Protector; July 15, 2011 at 05:15 PM.

You need to edit the right file, namely ReallyBadAI_BC.txt, I see you edited the universal one (for misc mods).

Regards

Thx for reply,

I only edited the ReallyBadAI_BC.txt like you said in post #17 on 8.7.2011 after my download on 7.7.2011.

But I never edited or touched the universal one (for misc mods). Last change was made 21.5.2011, at that time I was not even owner of this file, as you can see by date in my screenie. And you also can can have a look inside the file that nothing is changed.
    Last edited by Protector; July 16, 2011 at 06:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast