Page 5 of 117 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055105 ... LastLast

Thread: [IB:SAI AAR] Julian, The Savior Of Rome? [ FINAL UPDATE 13/06/2013 | COMPLETE ]

Knonfoda's Avatar I came, I read, I wrote

Default Re: [IB:SAI AAR] Julian, the savior of Rome?

Quote Originally Posted by The excited one View Post
    damn rebels great job at crushing them like ants with min causaulties..... AWESOME
    Thanks, I do always enjoy crushing rebel scum

Quote Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
    How about using this as a theme when fighting the Alemanni? xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBGOQ7SsJrw

AND HEAR TEH LAMINTATION OF TEH WOMEN!!
    I might, when I have looted their cities, killed their men, and enslaved their womenfolk, but the upcoming Siege promises but to be anything but a cake walk. That and the lifting of it which I am sure they are going to try and so with one of their nearby armies.

Quote Originally Posted by Vercingetorix King of Gauls View Post
    Great job to win that battle!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxchamp View Post
    Very nice victory indeed

How many legions (full legions) do you have in total and what's their respective emplacement?

do you intend to stay true to the historical boundaries of the roman empire or shall we see the imperial standard fly in the scandinavian landscapes?

edit:

what about this track for your next epic battle?

I'm not entirely sure about how many 'full' legions I have around. I have just had an interesting discussion with Julianus Heraclius as to what we think constitutes a legion, and what I am trying to represent as such. To me, any stack that has more than 3 units of the same legion bears the name of tha legion, all other units are support/auxiliary regardless of what they are. An army with less than 3 units becomes a field army with detachments of legions, so not a legion in itself, and anything else is a field army, be it auxilia, limitanei, etc.

I have maybe two in Britannia, one in Spain, maybe 3-4 in Gaul/Germania, one in Syracuse, about 2-3 in Arabia, the rest in the middle east. I have remnants of two or three in Illyria after the debacle, but nothing else there of in Thrace.

And I intend to behave historically, to some extent, no no quick, large expansions, but methodical campaigns. Divide, conquer, assimilate, expand, etc. If I survive though, the aim will be to bring THE WORLD under the Roman banner.

I can barely contain my excitement over possible future developments - it's just too great ^^ (and I haven't played Rome since Winter 2009 - intense feeling of withdrawal).

here's the link again, it seems as if it doesn't work when embedded; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhP6F-vxeZI
    "Siehst du in des Waldes Grün feindlicher Gewehrmaschin?"
    - Peronje

"Der NKWD in Russland, der SD im Deutschland des Dritten Reiches und alle anderen Geheimpolizeiorganisationen ähnlicher Art sind Spielwiesen für Psychopathen, für Usurpatoren illegaler Macht über Millionen.
    Dort liegen die Krebsherde der modernen Gesellschaft."

aus "Holt Hartmann vom Himmel" Motorbuch Verlag Spezial 2007

I can barely contain my excitement over possible future developments - it's just too great ^^ (and I haven't played Rome since Winter 2009 - intense feeling of withdrawal).

here's the link again, it seems as if it doesn't work when embedded; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhP6F-vxeZI
    I think you are going to find the next update more than interesting then

Quote Originally Posted by Knonfoda View Post
    I think you are going to find the next update more than interesting then
    cant wait...

Episode XV: Death, Death, and MORE Death!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Once upon a time, in beautiful, lovely Germania, where the trees are made of wood and the mountains come out of the ground, and the sheep seldom wear spectacles....

SIEGE HAPPENS! The enemy COWER BEHIND THEIR FLIMSY GATES! The combined armies of the empire lay siege to the Capital of the Alemanni, sworn enemy of the Romans, which just refuse to die a good death and be done with towards the footnotes of history!

- Embedded Sountrack I, play while reading this episode.

And so my friends, with absolutely nothing left to do, we press the end turn button, that most unruly of divine judges, eternally scrutinizing and righter of wrongs, waiting simply to seal the fate of a few through some wicked evil AI calculation while others fight for their very lives through sheer luck and brilliance and rationality. (This is to say, I press the end turn button, the AI sees fit to punish me for my profligacy, and sends forth its endless hordes into my wake!)

Yes! You didn't think it was true! But here they are! The army sent to relieve the siege of the Alemanni capital, appropriately named Vicus Alemanni (how unimaginative btw...)

YES! He HATES Romans! And he doesn't clean his toenails! And he is the faction HEIR! Good! Both King and Successor can die in the same field of battle! The fates are most fortunate towards us!

LOOK at his units!

Gasinder!

Axemen!

Cnihte!

Wodawinga! The Alemanni have brought their entire spectacle of hideous freaks to die under our sword! They think their silly names are enough to stop us!

In truthfulness, their Suabiske something something are the most serious threat, with quite a lot of experience, armour, men, and fighting power to break up our lines.

The plan is simple, and simple is the plan. We are going to BOMBARD them from the slope before engaging them, surrounding them with our cavalry, and waiting for our ally Macrinus to engage them, first. ONLY THEN brothers will we fall upon them like wolves on sheep and tear them from limb to limb!

Our cavalry begin their encirclement!

YES! Watch in awe as we surround your men Chieftain! Why don't you prepare them FOR GLORY!??!!!

The time has come for us to BOMBARD their crazy berserkers with our insane javelins, which bend on impact and make retribution useless! They might as well give up NOW!

Whats that? Your cavalry are poised to stop our cunning plan!?

We shall see about that!

That's more like it! Flee the field like the barbarian horse-boys you are!

Yes, flee so that our infantry columns can better position themselves so as to utterly destroy your comrades.

Meanwhile, in the flurry of battle and the sipping of cocktails, one of our units gets snagged on one of their deadly WODAWINGA (berserker) units. We order them to fall teh hell back lest they are destroyed.

We re-position our skirmishing lines and archers so as to rain death on the enemy from a higher position.

OH HOW THE MIGHTY WODAWINGA FLEE BEFORE US! OH how they run like the cowards they are!

YES! THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS TO RETREATING BASTARDS! Take that you.... erm... bastards? YES! That will do!

Meanwhile, my cavalry relentlessly drives into the enemy, swinging their twisted hair back and forth, they charge back and forth... or something.

Whats that? There's a unit ALL BY ITSELF that hasn't broken? We shall soon see about that HAHAHAHAHA!

Ah, much better!

Meanwhile, my line once again re-positions itself to deal with the bulk of the barbarian army.

While my cavalry drive them off the field.

YES! Watch as your army is undone! Enjoy the spectacle we are providing you with!

They think they can outflank us!

Interestingly enough, they flee mid way through their flanking maneuver! Even I wasn't expecting that.

But just to be sure we order our cavalry to overwhelm them!

Our line moves forward again.

OH BUT THE GODS are too KIND!

YES! That's right folks! Heir to the Throne Hortar has fallen in battle! Felled from his horse by the throwing spear of an unknown assailant, he breathes his last, cries rather unbecomingly for his mother, and close his eyes as life leaves him.

Everyone must die and flee!

In the meantime, a unit of our allies routs. Perhaps the situation on his flank is graver than our drunken revelry would care to admit!?

Meanwhile, everyone must rout! All must DIE!

Yes, you too Longobardii heriban, there's no way now you can survive surrounded on all sides by cavalry, so you might as well give up while you have the chance.

In the end, all that are left are the kings loyal units, still thniking that they can somehow carry the day.

The rest of his men, however, do not share his optimistic appraisal of the situation.

This idiot actually seems to think he can win!

Nothing a charge from behind wont solve!

Actually, nothing a few, REPEATED charges from behind wont solve.

KILL THEM
    ALL!

Meanwhile, somewhere else in the field, someone is unhorsed.

I can't recall whether this is their king or who, but seeing as the successor Hortar fell in battle a while ago, I am assuming this is their King of Kings. This being the case, he deserves a LAVISH death description! Erm, the king fights valiantly, that is until a berserk legionary miles lunges at him with a semi-spatha. The thrust is soo momentous the blade buries itself deep within king Suomar's guts and comes out cleanly through the other side. The legionary, sly dog that he is, twists the ugly blade within his victim's stomach. The destruction of his enemy's guts is co complete that sadly, King Suomar's spine is now clearly visible from the front, and he collapses like the rag he is and dies. Yeah that will do.

With that in mind, it will suffice to say all the enemy units broke and we pursued them like the dogs they are.

And sooner or later, even their elite Soubiske units broke and fled for their lives!

That is to say, we win the day by quite a large margin, the enemy are vanquished, and we continue our siege of the enemy city in peace.

I'm sorry, WHAT? Chieftain GUNDOMANUS wants to attack us? AGAIN!? Erm, okay.

Except for some heavy knihte he doesn't have any worthwhile units.

And so battle begins. AGAIN.

The plan is the same, we hold enemy at bay, skirmishers engage and thin their line, hopefully we win, they die.

With cavalry on either side to trap them between three forces and kill them slowly!

I lose patience with these animals and order my legionaries forward!

My cavalry attack their feeble contingent.

While my skirmishers rain flying death from above.

My superior cavalry charge theirs and break them like the slaves that they are!

While my infantry line advances forth!

The rest of my cavalry ready to fall on their rear.

Meanwhile, my main infantry line finally engage the hated enemy.

As a result, I am FORCED to order my cavalry to fall upon them like carrion on a dead body.

And you might be surprised, but that is EXACTLY what they do.

In a familiar pattern, every isolated unit of the enemy begins to rout.

Except these Alemanni hearbann spearmen, which stand their ground in the face of certain death. They are brave, and FOOLISH!

That is because the moment my cataphacts and scutarii charge into them THEY FLEE! Good, good.

Actually, it would be more accurate if I said EVERYONE FLED!

We chased them all.

Even the ones who thought they could win.

I swear these bastards take a lot of punishment before breaking! First infantry!

Followed by cavalry!

And finally they break!

Don't RUN! We are your FRIENDS!

The chieftain of this relief army, warlord Gundomadus, is fatally speared from behind by an auxiliary cavalryman from the regional field army, intent on dispatching his enemy and claiming a handsome reward for his feat. Gundomadus, for his part, appreciates what its like to feel good Roman steel in him before dying in his horse without whispering a word to his surviving bodyguard.

Whats left of his bodyguard, naturally, and hunted down like dogs.

But even dogs aren't speared down this hard.

Another victory is upon us! Legates Macrinus and Marjorianus both smile at each other in the confident knowledge that the enemy have run out of manpower to throw away at their force besieging Campus Alemanni. Victory is upon them, all they need is to march upon the enemy CAPITAL!

By the same time next morning, Legate Marjorianus' expression had gone from one deep satisfaction to one of unrelenting depression in the space of seconds as his watch officer informed him that YET another army stood in their way.

- What do you mean they have ANOTHER ARMY between us and the city? BUT WE'VE KILLED THEM ALL! Don't you understand this? We're supposed to be clear from here to their city! We've fought two armies of theirs and I am tired of killing them!

Legate Marjorianus' attitude towards killing Alemanni siege relief reinforcements was very similar to that which Macbeth had towards murdering people. Initial doubts, followed by cautious enthusiasm, and then greater and greater alarm at the sheer scale of the undertaking and still no end in sight.

To make things interesting, this last army of theirs had a number of interesting units.

Axemen, these never before seen Comitatus, heavy spear warbands, more berserkers and even Suebi tribesmen! Surely this must be the last army between us and the city!

And so battle begins, again, for the third time on this same spot.

Seeing as they have much more infantry this time, we are going to wait and engage them simultaneously with our ally, Macrinus.

Cavalry on the flanks, raining death on the enemy.

And so we begin the bombardment of death and missiles and misery on the enemy.

We order our more or less confident infantry forward.

Towards their Comitatus.

And CHAARGE any foolish isolated units to have left the safety of the main warband!

And we charge them AGAIN just to be sure!

Our archers, ordered forward to skirmish the enemy, are engaged by them and forced to fight hand to hand.

Only divine intervention can explain this, but SOMEHOW, our archers rout the enemy berserkers in HAND TO HAND COMBAT! I have seen it ALL TODAY!

We once again re-position our lines.

While our cavalry destroys any warband stupid enough to wander off.

OK, so at this point, my FRAPS did again what it did a while ago, it worked in the background whilst having stopped recording individual screenshots.

Anyway, the end result was this. I engaged individual spear units which tried their feeble but useless schiltrom formations, I destroyed them, and I killed their leader. The end result was a clear victory (again), 1870 men deployed by me, 2069 kills, 1652 men remaining. My ally, Macrinus, had 1892 men deployed, 1162 kills, 1793 men remaining The enemy, Bitheredis, deployed 3222 enemy, killed 268, and had 79 men remaining.

I restarted fraps, after winning the battle and saving, and the result is what you see before you.

These bastards exterminated and made slaves of Rome! Yes, that's what happens when you gamble and lose against Rome! Your men shall make suitable sacrifices in our arenas, pitted against criminals and killers, and your womenfolk will make good companions in our kitchens, bedchambers and brothels! LONG LIVE THE ROMAN EMPIRE! LONG LIVE JULIAN!

And YEAY and behold, the siege of Vicus Alemanni came to an end. Tune in next time to see what the hell I am going to do with this money, the leftovers of the Alemanni, and what may or may not be left of me empire. So long folks!

EDIT: Luxchamp, you that appreciate the odd twist and turn of my pen on this AAR while under the influence, will be glad to knwo todays episode was brought to you by SAGATIBA! It Would SEEM that actually a mix of caipirinnha cocktails before BATTLE is indeed a elixir for success! 3 battles one after another, no CTD's which is more than commendable, and 3 victories! I swear, from now on, its only going to be battles and alcohol, together as one, for the good of the empire my sweet alcoholic appreciating friend! Great victories await us!

EDIT II: OMG WHY didn't anybody TELL ME about IHateMondays soundmod? Its SOO perfect its unreal. The soundtracks I listen to in the background anyway, in the game, the realistic and satisfying sounds of those dying during combat? The din of battle and the screams of those deprived of life, it just makes the whole thing so much more believable its incredible!

Last edited by Knonfoda; April 04, 2013 at 10:05 AM.

The excited one's Avatar Senator

awesome man death death and death good for offerings for the gods but the gods only accept lamb and animals only romans are not some kind of a man eating people (literally) sold them as slaves would be a better option and CASH IN oh yeah there are some "rebellion" due to your religious "policy" CRUSH THEM and let more money comes in

p.s also are you at war with the franks yet? just asking
    war is peace, ignorance is strength, freedom is slavery......
    (george orwell 1984)

I see some white spots on that map of yours

http://ask.fm/Bigglelito <------- Ask me somethin' dagnabbit!

rhalina's Avatar Ordinarius

Good job Let's finish all these pinked-barbarians ^^
    You're lucky, the rhenan-legions haven't rebelled themselves, on my campaign, i still have the britain"s one to fight everywhere.. :p

I don't know if you have noticed, but by destroying the archers-fields and some blaksmith in the un-militarised- cities, they will gain more denarii ( not a lot, arround +50/+200 per town), and you will have the money of these buildings to engage some new ones

Another thing i have done is to make the low milita ( some of them are in hiberian's cities) recruitable for some factions ( franks, romans, celics, persians,..).
    I decreased their price (14k !) and their statistics ( arround 2att/2def/5 morale, 50 denarii to recruit, 150 unkeep)
    This is a good thing to keep order or have low infantry in time of crisis.... but the rebells recruit them a lot if one city fall down.. :p )

Merovingian-period archeology database: http://241-752.forumgratuit.fr/
    Association Française d'Archéologie Mérovingienne

Awesome!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Knonfoda View Post
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]EDIT: Luxchamp, you that appreciate the odd twist and turn of my pen on this AAR while under the influence, will be glad to knwo todays episode was brought to you by SAGATIBA! It Would SEEM that actually a mix of caipirinnha cocktails before BATTLE is indeed a elixir for sucess! 3 battles one after another, no CTD's which is more than commendable, and 3 victories! I swear, from now on, its only going to be battles and alcohol, together as one, for the good of the empire my sweet alcoholic appreciating friend! Great victories await us!

First, let me inform you that this chapter almost saw me wreck my computer. Indeed was I savouring the malty goodness of a fine luxembourgish beer whilst commencing the analysis of said chapter. the very first sentence provoked a massive contraction/decontraction of my stomach muscles (i laughed) which in turn caused the precipitated as well as violent exit of said beverage via ... inappropriate orifices (beer out of nose).

needless to say that my keyboard suffered some degree of moisture damage, which however could easily be repaired with the efficient aid of a hair dryer.

concering the content of this your newest chapter; its excellence is without equal - seldom have i revelled in such stylistic finesse, paired with the occasional oddity strewn here and there across the battle testimony. i particularly enjoyed the macbeth reference, paired with the show of determination to vanquish the enemy utterly, only to find that one is in need not only to stab, but to STAB RESTAB STAB AGAIN STAB SOME MORE AND THEN SOME (*insert crazy laughter here*).

*cough*

...right then.

I applaud your recent creation and await eagerly the conclusion of your campaign vs the sheep shaggers...the alemanni.
    "Siehst du in des Waldes Grün feindlicher Gewehrmaschin?"
    - Peronje

"Der NKWD in Russland, der SD im Deutschland des Dritten Reiches und alle anderen Geheimpolizeiorganisationen ähnlicher Art sind Spielwiesen für Psychopathen, für Usurpatoren illegaler Macht über Millionen.
    Dort liegen die Krebsherde der modernen Gesellschaft."

aus "Holt Hartmann vom Himmel" Motorbuch Verlag Spezial 2007

only romans are not some kind of a man eating people (literally) sold them as slaves would be a better option and CASH IN oh yeah there are some "rebellion" due to your religious "policy" CRUSH THEM and let more money comes in

p.s also are you at war with the franks yet? just asking
    Well, I needed to quell discontent and the extermination gives me more cash directly. Selling slaves would only make cities have larger populations, which drives down public order, something I can't afford at the moment. The Franks are not yet at war with me but have been getting far too close for comfort to my own cities, not to mention the fact they have an alliance with the Alemanni which prevented me from using them as an allied army in a battle I wanted to have with the Alemanni.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    I see some white spots on that map of yours
    Yes, and you shall soon see what becomes of them too!

Quote Originally Posted by rhalina View Post
    Good job Let's finish all these pinked-barbarians ^^
    You're lucky, the rhenan-legions haven't rebelled themselves, on my campaign, i still have the britain"s one to fight everywhere.. :p

I don't know if you have noticed, but by destroying the archers-fields and some blaksmith in the un-militarised- cities, they will gain more denarii ( not a lot, arround +50/+200 per town), and you will have the money of these buildings to engage some new ones

Another thing i have done is to make the low milita ( some of them are in hiberian's cities) recruitable for some factions ( franks, romans, celics, persians,..).
    I decreased their price (14k !) and their statistics ( arround 2att/2def/5 morale, 50 denarii to recruit, 150 unkeep)
    This is a good thing to keep order or have low infantry in time of crisis.... but the rebells recruit them a lot if one city fall down.. :p )
    Yeah, I replaced all the commanders with loyal ones to avoid precisely that. And yeah, I could do that, but the money I would get would be so small as to not make it worth it, believe it or not archers can be incredibly useful here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorCaesar View Post
    Awesome!!!!!!!!
    Thanks!

First, let me inform you that this chapter almost saw me wreck my computer. Indeed was I savouring the malty goodness of a fine luxembourgish beer whilst commencing the analysis of said chapter. the very first sentence provoked a massive contraction/decontraction of my stomach muscles (i laughed) which in turn caused the precipitated as well as violent exit of said beverage via ... inappropriate orifices (beer out of nose).

needless to say that my keyboard suffered some degree of moisture damage, which however could easily be repaired with the efficient aid of a hair dryer.

concering the content of this your newest chapter; its excellence is without equal - seldom have i revelled in such stylistic finesse, paired with the occasional oddity strewn here and there across the battle testimony. i particularly enjoyed the macbeth reference, paired with the show of determination to vanquish the enemy utterly, only to find that one is in need not only to stab, but to STAB RESTAB STAB AGAIN STAB SOME MORE AND THEN SOME (*insert crazy laughter here*).

*cough*

...right then.

I applaud your recent creation and await eagerly the conclusion of your campaign vs the sheep shaggers...the alemanni.
    lol, I'm glad you approve. Your choice of beer is also laudable. Yeah, you will find I make use of many references, some of them mine, but most from works I have had the pleasure of coming across, so whomsoever 'gets' a reference may consider it as an 'easter egg' of sorts. He who gets all the references will be indeed lucky.

My lastest chapter I must say I am not entirely satisfied with. I started it on Friday, by which time I had most of it done, but had to leave, only to resume work today, when much of the momentum was lost. It also concernes rebels, which is never as satisfying as the games enemies 'proper'. I am finding it a bit 'dry', and I also had to divide the chapter into two seeing as how large it was and how long it took me to write it up. Anyway, boring or not, nobody said running an empire was all fun and games, and every now and then rebel ass need to be kicked about.

So I present to you all a double bill, Episode XVI Parts I and II. Enjoy!

Episode XVI: The Rebel Alliance (Part I)

Civil War! Military success on the Rhine is quickly followed by social
    catastrophe. The Empire crumbles from within as more and more cities
    align themselves with the insidious Eugenius Salvidenius, cunning rebel leader
    orchestrating the insurrection from his stronghold in Britannia.

The rebels, revolutionaries, christians, the dissilusioned and supporters of
    the recently deceased Constantius however, are scattered, badly
    organised, led and funded, and pitched against an Empire that is able
    to deal defeat to those that oppose them.

In a cunning move, Emperor Julian has already stationed armies
    outside of the cities most discontent with his rule. These cities,
    isolated like islands in the sea of Empire, stand ready to be assaulted
    by Julian and his field armies. Only time will tell if the rebellion is over before it begins.
    One thing however, was for sure. Begun, the 361 A.D civil war has.

The rebellion and civil war have had a large impact on public order in the empire. Cities which before had been happy under Julian's reign are now in revolt, and others, indecisive as to which side to join, are in unrest as rebel agents disseminate lies and forment unrest in these cities. Public order plummets dramatically in the Empire's cities.

Such as in Gaul and Britannia.

Even Italia and Illyria, once thought safe from rebel lies and deceptions, begin to turn against us. The Oriens is in a similar position.

The first to rebel was Toletum in Hispania. We send in an imperial agent to gauge the situation.

Unlikely to be won over our side, and with ambitious leadership, we have no choice but to besiege the city.

Corinth is next, but siege preparations for this city had already began months beforehand, Julian, sad that its inhabitants have chosen to support a usurper so far away, attacks.

Their leader would have made a decent commander had he not chosen the wrong side.

Battle begins, and Julian orders his entire force to one side of the city.

There, we intercept skirmishers sent forth to hinder us.

Including surrounding the enemy general with our own superior cavalry.

Meanwhile, Julian himself and his own picked task force enters through one of the city's wide streets.

It pains Julian to have to enter such a splendid city in this manner. What only Heruls and Goths had done to Athens less than a century before, he is now forced to do to his fellow Romans and Greeks in Corinth! But he does what must be done. This is for the good of the Empire!

Julius Scaevola, promising young man, dies as he is surrounded by Julian's men and stabbed to death. His blood spills on the street of the city he fought hard to defend.

The enemy have even been foolish enough to appropriate Roman standards and use them in their own cause! This dishonor to Roman arms will be dealt with through death!

We surround their remaining troops.

- Charge!

And win the day!

Corinth is thus taken, first to fall in the civil war, back in the hands of Julian.

Despite the execution of the ringleaders of the revolt in this particular town, it becomes clear the population is still resentful of Julian, and it would require a large garrison to keep them in order. With pressing matters elsewhere, Julian, always the pragmatist, orders a large part of the city's population enslaved, their possessions and assets seized and added to the imperial treasury. Thus, a standard is set that will become the norm across the empire when dealing with insurrections such as these. Cities and entire populations are to be made an example of, order reimposed, and their finances added to the states treasury. Such is the price of treason.

The rebels take their perjury too far, who are THEY to even pretend to have Eagles of Rome? We take their cheap knockoff imitation and have it melted in the nearest city. This is no eagle of Rome.

Next is Kydonia in Crete, having fallen to the insidious machinations of the rebel scheme in Corinth. Julian sets sail towards it.

And attacks.

This rebel goes by the name of Maximianus, basically an idiot.

And that is exactly how he dies, as an idiot, speared between a cavalryman's spear and a tree, his body left to rot for the carrion birds.

The same is done in Kydonia, most sold into slavery, some massacred, etc.

The last two weeks have been hard on Julian. He has had to witness the sacking of two great imperial cities by his own forces, and the rapine and proscriptions that have followed it. This despite his better judgement and his years of neoplatonic teaching. He ponders what his idol Plato would think of him now, and what he has made of his own 'republic'. He curses himself for what he has been forced to become, what he has been forced to do through circumstance. For given the right circumstances, men are capable of any and all evil.

While this brutality has indeed had the desired effect of sending a message to the empire, and especially the rebels and those thinking of joining them, Julian can no longer be the cause of these proscriptions, appropriations and massacres, lest he become known as Julian the butcher. No, from now on, his Caesar, second in command, shall take on the role of the Emperor and act independently and as he sees fit in dealing with these insurrections. In a calculating move, Julian considers the future implications this might have, and the benefits that could be reaped....

Edessa is next on the list. Despite their walls, a Palatinae army and its associated legions sits right next to it, artillery at the ready.

Equitius Ursus, another example of a misguided man. He will find himself at the end of a misguided onager boulder soon enough.

The siege begins.

- Artillery! Commence barrage!

In a matter of minutes, the enemy walls are down, their gate broken, and their troops suffering heavy losses from the collapsing walls and its debris.

We order the army forward into the city from all three directions, intending on swamping the defenders.

Meanwhile, our archers and slingers and skirmishers shoot at the walls intending to keep the defenders heads down and cover the infantry's advance.

Battle by the walls begins!

The strategy works, and soon enough there are more of us than there are of them within their own city!

Our army mobs its way across the streets destroying any resistance in its wake.

Later rather than sooner, Equitius Ursus is speared from behind by one of his own men, who then tries to bargain for his own life and that of whats left of his men. The legate, unimpressed with this act of double treachery, orders him and his men butchered. The legionaries happily comply.

Following the massacre of these 'prisoners', victory follows as the town is subdued.

We take another of their 'eagles' and have it too destroyed.

Constantia is the next city, in Cyprus. A loyal representative of the Emperor pays them a visit with a task force.

Fravitta Bolanus, wealthy citizen of Constantia, thinks he can usurp power from the emperor in these difficult times and make himself king of Constantia and all of Cyprus.

His wild miscalculation of course means the only thing he usurps is his own life, taken away from him in a field somewhere, robbed of his head and stuck on a post to warn future leaders not to underestimate the emperor.

His lovely city is made an example of.

Meanwhile, in cloudy and miserable Britannia, we reach the root of the problem. Eugenius Salvidenius, head of the insurrection and defier of the emperor's authority, stands proud behind the city of Isca Dumnoriorum. A born roman citizen of Gaul, ambitious, and incredibly influential, it is little surprise he has managed to influence and swindle so many to his cause.

Before engaging, our army sends forth a messenger. The rightful governor of Britannia and Count of the Roman Shore, Attalus Coecianus, given the authority by the emperor to deal with this insurrection in his land as he sees fit, attempts to negotiate a surrender in order to avoid enemy bloodshed.

The fat eunuch, reclining decadently in his comfortable ivory lectica, does not even give the messenger a second glance as he comes into his audience chamber in the towns basilica, giving him his customary reply:

- His serenity will not grant any audiences today I'm afraid...

- I am not here for an audience, I deliver a message from Attalus Coecianus, governor of Britannia and agent of the will of the Emperor. He demands your immediate surrender.

- Tell your man Attalus that Eugenius prostrates himself to no one, whether man or divine.

- If that is the case, I am charged with entrusting you with this letter to hand to your master. Make sure he reads it before we besiege the city at noon today. Farewell eunuch.

Like clockwork, the city is besieged early that afternoon. Marines, eager for combat, form the first lines.

The alae are ordered to attack these bands of skirmishers send to engage our main force.

And that is precisely what they do, with deadly purpose.

The city is surrounded.

And engaged from all sides.

Eugenius watches stoically as the situation unravels in front of him and he and his men are forced back towards the square. What hopes and dreams he had weeks ago when he decided to usurp the throne and defy the emperor ended first when the city's garrison, the only soldiers available to him and his only means of defeating any imperial armies sent to stop him, declined his offer and instead made for the nearest city under imperial control. The second blow came when less cities had joined his cause than previous correspondence had lead him to believe, especially in Gaul, where Condata's fleet deserted the rebels cause, making any cross-channel reinforcements impossible. Too proud to admit defeat however, Eugenius stood firm, hoping for a solution to present itself.

As his men are pressed further and further back, he decides to open the parchment given to him by his eunuch only this morning, now nowhere to be seen. The long parchment scroll unravels in his hand, but a single phrase marks its middle point. He reads it with ironic amusement, moments away from his own impending doom.

'There can only be one Caesar'

Throwing caution to the wind, Eugenius tugs on his horse, trusty companion that has seem him through many campaigns, and orders his steed forward, probably for the last time. Saving whatever inkling of honour and glory for last, Eugenius talks to his steed and calms it down. Its okay boy, he says. Now come, lets put an end to both our miseries! Give me glory one last time! As if knowing his masters desire, the horse surges forward in a surge of speed and crashes into the hated imperial line....
    Last edited by Knonfoda; December 23, 2015 at 09:51 AM.

Episode XVI: The Rebel Alliance (Part II)

And soon enough, Eugenius is caught between an infantry line and the counter charge of an advancing Cataphract unit. As his mount defiantly rears against a miles brave and foolish enough to challenge the incensed horse, a carefully aimed kontos skewers both him and the valiant animal in one clean motion, impaling both rider and horse.

Eugenius lies on the ground, his eyes blurry, his vision darkening.... his last sight is that of his beloved horse, now finally at peace as it sighed its last. In his final moments, the Gods see fit to bestow upon him visions of the future. He begins to laugh loudly spurting blood as he does so. The astonished miles that crowd his corpse do not know quite what to do with the body of a man who died smiling....

With the rebels leader dead, they see no more need for fighting. They promptly put their arms down and surrender. Attalus, unlike his counterpart in Syria, is generous enough to spare the men.

The city is put to the usual fate.

However, as he surveys the scene of the carnage, carefully selecting ring leaders to be executed and which to be spared, his aide spots a conspicuously corpulent hooded figure attempting to slowly flee from a previously searched house.

- YOU THERE! Halt! shouts a nearby soldier.

- Whah me? I'm a simple slave domino!

The messenger, part of Attalus' entourage, and beside him at this moment, speaks:

- I recognise him, he is Eugenius' deputy and public representative, a eunuch. I met him earlier today. Did you deliver your Dominus' message like I instructed?

- I know of no message, I am no praepositius, I am but a simple servant!

- YOU ARE A MEMBER OF THE REBEL ALLIANCE AND A TRAITOR! Take him away!

Attalus and his staff laughed to themselves at the audacity of this man in attempting to defraud them. He was right however, he is a slave, and now he will meet a most unfortunate end for his treachery. Attalus is however surprised to find his aide and messenger requiring his further services.

-What is it Ammianus, have we not had enough fun for one day?

- As you instructed me to deliver the recently deceased Eugenius the message from the Emperor in the eventuality of a revolt, so have I been instructed by his lordship to give you this message should you vanquish the rebels here in Britannia, which you have now done.

It would seem that for his unshakable loyalty and singular devotion to duty, on the successful destruction of the rebel leadership and its downfall in Britannia, an important feat, Eugenius has been rewarded by the Emperor with a grand triumph in the city of Rome itself. Eugenius is humbled by this display of gratitude, and thanks the Gods for choosing the right man in this bloody civil war.

The recapturing of Stonehenge may also have had something to do with it. This is just as good, as the loyalty bonus will help shore up discontent throughout the empire.

And this is exactly what it does. We will explain this in game however, not through the recapturing of a monument which by this time would have had no measurable effect on empire-wide public order, but through the following:

Word begins to reach even the most remote villages of the Empire of the recent victories on the Danube and of the 'Rain Miracle'. Thousands and thousands throughout the lands flock to the temples to show their devotion to their Gods, in the hopes they show similar patronage on them as they did the Illyrian troops. Word also reaches them of Attalus' triumph, the death of usurper Eugenius, and the fate of cities that stood behind them. One by one, magistracies in those cities that were contemplating joining the rebellion think otherwise and decide it wiser to remain under Julian's patronage. One by one, the inhabitants of these cities become more content with their lot, as Julian follows swift retribution with an empire-wide reduction of taxes. This has the desired effect, and resentment and discontent falls dramatically in the cities of the empire:

In Gaul...

Hispania...

Africa....

Italy...

Even the unruly Oriens, people are now genuinely happy with Julian's short but decisive reign.

However, there are still rebel cities to fall....

Gades must fall, and the traitors houses must come tumbling down!

Castinus Fundanus, new leader of the rebel armies, must be found and brought to justice. Oh how the Gods lament that a citizen of such a splendid city has turned against the Empire! Oh how the guardians of Hades will feast on his flesh when we send him down there!

Needless to say, we assault the city, take it by force, and Castinus Fundanus is no more. Foolishly wearing no armour, his stomach is sliced open by a seasoned centurion. He drops to the floor in his knees, attempting to keep his ropey and slippery guts from spilling out from inside him. The centurio mercy kills him and, like many other rebel leaders, this one now too lies dead before an imperial army.

Victory is of course ours, and the city is punished.

Strangely enough, whats left of the population somehow still seems discontent. Perhaps instead of only enslaving a few we should have enslaved them all?

In Gaul, we send a scouting force ahead to determine the enemy strength.

Deciding to gamble, we attack the city with a cavalry only force, intent on punishing its 9000 inhabitants for their treachery and more importantly, shoring up the treasury now that we are so close to making a profit.

The city is attacked.

Their leader is a Persian! Bah! How did he ever find his way into our aristocracy? We all know the only good Persians are the DEAD ONES!? Right?!

We split our forces in two, and take the opportunity the enemy does not have walls to order our sagitarii to attack them from behind the buildings.

This they do while our main force harasses their infantry in the streets.

However, while we are busy engaging their forces, they order their cavalry to destroy our sagitarii and sadly succeed.

In their retreat, a sagitarii unhorses the rebel leader through a parthian shot, an ironic end for a Persian so far from home.

Basiliscus Mancinus, Persian and rebel leader of Condata, is critically hit in the left eye for 986HP. The barbed arrow makes a satisfying sound as it comes into contact with the Persian's brain. He falls dead, unable to witness the destruction of his men and his city.

And that is indeed what happens, what began as a skirmish is now charge and counter charge against the battered rebels.

Which cannot hold out any longer.

And are defeated.

Their 5453 denarii will make a useful contribution to the state's treasury.

The feeble peasants take the hint and are now finally happy with their lot, after witnessing the extermination of any who resisted.

We are so close to getting out of the red we order an attack on Pergamum, against the better judgement of Arbitio, the local governor, as our forces are made up of unreliable Vigiles Urbani, almost the very rebel scum we have been fighting, except much lower in number.

We attack anyway, confident that where brute strength is insufficient Roman ingenuity will win the day.

Opius Corvinus, a good man of decent Illyrian stock, and his rebel army are all that stands between us and the city.

In this particular battle we have the aid of two units of funditores, slingers. We will use them to rain stony death on the enemy and hopefully kill the traitor from afar.

But first we must destroy their skirmishers.

Which we do soon enough.

Before I know it though, the rebels send all their consript milites scum to fall upon us.

But our funditores proves deadly to their massed up infantry, precisely the outcome we wanted.

By outflanking their infantry, we cause them to rout.

But the enemy counter charge before I have a chance to regroup and re-position my units.

The only good thing to come out of this counter charge is that Oppinus Corvinus finally got himself out from behind the cover of the houses and into the front line. His elevated position on his horse made him a prime target for our funditores, one of which got a lucky shot on the rebel's head. The bullet's impact, while not penetrating his helmet, causes enough blunt trauma to kill him on impact. He lifelessly drops from his horse and unceremoniously sags to the ground.

His sacrifice is not in vain however. His charge so severely savaged our men that what little is left of them is unable to hold off the assault of his remaining troops. Our entire force flees as they advance and cut down those that straggle behind.

Our general and funditores provide cover for the retreating troops.

And ride down those that retreat in their turn.

Our general manages to prevent all but one unit from routing the field. Bloody conscripts and city dwellers, they can't be entrusted with anything.

The plan is to now lure the enemy out, bombard them with our slingers, and then engage them with our cavalry while they fight whats left of my infantry.

The plan works perfectly.

And we ride down these animals like they deserve!

Finishing them off doesn't prove too difficult.

Victory is finally ours, but a close one at that.

The city is put to the torch for its defiance, its citizens sold into slavery, its men killed, and our remaining soldiers taking whatever liberties they desire with whats left of its people. May they all remember the price for defying Rome is DEATH!

The upside of all this bloodshed is that we finally have some money. Julian, pragmatic about the fate of these cities, and acknowledging his own role in their revolt and eventual suppression, realises he cannot just leave these cities to their own devices, especially after their brutal treatment, lest they decay into oblivion or worse, rebellion again. Thus, he orders an empire-wide refurbishment and reconstruction effort to rebuild and restore these cities to their former glory. No longer shall Romes cities rebel against her rightful masters! No longer shall we leave them to rot and be forgotten!

Rhodes is one of the last strongholds of the enemy. With an impossible mission ahead of us, we at least hope to kill their leader while their main force is outside the city, patrolling Rhodes' large port.

By devious means, and led by the local agentes in rebus, the imperial couriers who acted as the imperial spies, assassins and informants of this time, ie the secret police, our soldiers infiltrate the city and attack this Valens Persius, who dares to oppose Julian.

Our plan however doesn't work as the enemy's bodyguard make short work of our paid assassins and agentes, scattering them and killing them piecemeal.

It was a bold plan, but we were pushing our luck.

Rhodes is in rebel control, for now. We will have to take care of it later.

And so, we come full circle, back to where we began, Toletum, the last true stronghold of the rebel alliance, which only months ago attempted to overthrow emperor Julian, and split his empire between themselves, now cowering behind the walls of one of their last settlements.

Tune in next time to see what fate awaits the rebels, immediate destruction, or relief and salvation?
    Last edited by Knonfoda; April 04, 2013 at 10:27 AM.

Loved the Star Wars references! lol

rhalina's Avatar Ordinarius

really nice

Merovingian-period archeology database: http://241-752.forumgratuit.fr/
    Association Française d'Archéologie Mérovingienne

The excited one's Avatar Senator

YAYAYAYAYAYA AWESOME MAN that is similar to star wars now but it is not set in a galaxy far far away and a long time ago............. oh well but still AWESOME

p.s after you finish the first set of rebels you could start a second wave of religious reform in the west (gaul, britannica, hispania, Italia) then the third wave (east of asia minor, Syria, jerusalem, edessa region) and the forth which is west (carthago) or east of north africa (egypt) oh also remember to invite all of the christain or other officers of other religions for a fishing trip in the middle of the sea and accidentally sunk them all with a boat (thats what i did to purify the empire)

p.p.s the civil war will last a LOOONNNNGGGG time since there are lots of waves of reform across the empire and also some handy cash awaits for you via extermination MUAHAHAHAHAH so yeah........

p.p.p.s nice songs too
    Last edited by The excited one; June 06, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
    war is peace, ignorance is strength, freedom is slavery......
    (george orwell 1984)

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorCaesar View Post
    Loved the Star Wars references! lol
    Thanks, you can't have a rebellion without referencing Star Wars lol.

Quote Originally Posted by rhalina View Post
    really nice
    Cheers.

YAYAYAYAYAYA AWESOME MAN that is similar to star wars now but it is not set in a galaxy far far away and a long time ago............. oh well but still AWESOME

p.s after you finish the first set of rebels you could start a second wave of religious reform in the west (gaul, britannica, hispania, Italia) then the third wave (east of asia minor, Syria, jerusalem, edessa region) and the forth which is west (carthago) or east of north africa (egypt) oh also remember to invite all of the christain or other officers of other religions for a fishing trip in the middle of the sea and accidentally sunk them all with a boat (thats what i did to purify the empire)

p.p.s the civil war will last a LOOONNNNGGGG time since there are lots of waves of reform across the empire and also some handy cash awaits for you via extermination MUAHAHAHAHAH so yeah........

p.p.p.s nice songs too
    Haha thanks yeah that seems like a good strategy. I'm glad you like the songs.

Speaking of which, Luxchamp, thanks, that last song you requested was really good! I am open to more requests from everyone, as long as they fit the theme-ish such as tragic/dramatic, lyricless, (preferably) and epic.

I've also re-read some of my episodes and realised how absolutely atrocious my spelling has been. I promise to remedy this in future episodes.

Episode XVII: Woad to Ruin

Meanwhile, in Britannia....

The Picts have broken through the poorly defended Vallum Aelium (Hadrian’s Wall) only to stop short of the castra and vicus of Corstopitum. (Corbridge)

The Dux Britannium wastes no time in reinforcing his Britones Seniores Legion with auxiliaries and engaging them before they march south and threaten Eburacum. (York)

This is not just any ordinary raid, this is an entire invasion force, of the likes not seen in centuries. The Pictish king himself, Angus, leads this invasion. Our scouts indicate the Picts have an interesting selection of troops and tribes:

The Moarmers, their deadly bodyguard retinue.

These armoured spearmen.

Even some light cavalrymen accompany their force, no doubt as scouts and raiders.

Not to mention these naked berserkers.

And yet again more armoured spearmen. Things seem to have changed drastically north of the wall in the last century, the Picts are now known for their armoured troops or the quality of their metal. More disturbing seems to be that the northern tribes have coalesced into a Pictish federation, where before stood hostile and enemy tribes, now seems to stand a single entity, set on attacking Rome.

We meet this threat as we would any other, in the field of battle! The plan is to whittle them down from a distance with our skirmishers and cavalry first, and then engage.

Our cavalry put mind to purpose and set about on their deadly tactic.

While our archers prepare themselves to unleash volleys of death on these Pictish tribals.

Angus watches in glee as the adrenaline of the incoming battle kicks in and he orders his men forward to destroy his foe.

Our cavalry begin their deadly task of destroying the enemy from a distance.

And once sufficiently weakened, we charge these highland stone dwelling animals.

We attempt to surround the enemy king, who has been foolish enough to distance himself from his main force and is now surrounded.

However, his retinue prove their worth and force back our light horsemen, and so a retreat is ordered.

Meanwhile, the enemy cavalry are surprisingly resilient, and are cutting down our isolated bodyguard in droves. What started as joyful pursuit turns into a deadly battle for their own very lives!

Thankfully our disengaged cavalry come just in the nick of time to save the day and the Legate too!

Our lines are ordered to move forward. Battle will finally begin proper!

And the enemy eagerly awaits with spear in hand.

Our reformed cavalry sets to harassing the enemy once more.

And another unit breaks under the weight of good roman cavalry!

The enemy king however, continues to put up fierce resistance, and refuses to break to our repeated charges.

Meanwhile, one of their tribes, eager for glory, advances ahead of their line and attacks our own.

Woefully outnumbered, they are outmanoeuvred, outflanked and outgloried!

Our men outlive them in seconds!

Our line continues its steady advance after stopping briefly to swat the proverbial Pictish fly that stood in its way.

Our cavalry continue their deadly game with the quickly tiring enemy king.

These naked tribal maniacs, their heart filled with courage and their minds set on the plunder and rape that will follow should they win, charge in a frenzied roar.

Their eagerness for tender and gentle love with the vicus’ women gets the better of them. Their lovely naked bodies, providing as it does absolutely no defence whatsoever to a volley of javelins, proves their downfall, and they are felled to a man before ever reaching our lines, never mind the vicus’ women.

In the King’s private little battle with our cavalry, things are steadily going from bad to worse.

Angus, watching as his bodyguard is steadily butchered by our cavalry, sounds the order to retreat. However, before his remaining bodyguard have any time to react, a lucky javelin finds its mark deep within the neck of the Pictish king. Gurgling incoherently as blood flows freely from his neck, the King falls to his knees while looking stupidly at his remaining retinue. His bodyguard, their task failed and their honour taken from them, ritually kill each other, their lives having been bonded to that of the king. Their strange ways save us from having to do our jobs, and there is much rejoicing.

Disheartened, his entire army takes to flight, cursing themselves for their futile venture and their soon to be future as slaves!

Yes! You will make especially interesting sacrifices in the arena! Worry not about GLORY! The crowds will ROAR when you die a fitting death!

Coming to think of it I don’t even think you will make it as far as the arena....

And so, our first engagement with the Picts proves a successful venture. Their king dead, their army destroyed; hopefully they shan't bother us no more.

Victory is indeed sweet, and Magnentius Andronicus has learned a thing or two today.

So that this unexpected attack does not happen again, we order Magnentius to properly man the wall, repair the watchtowers, and order the praeventores to keep an eye out for the Picts.

Meanwhile, the victorious legion of the Britones Seniores returns to Eboracum for what promises to be a heavy knight of feasting, celebrating and generally having a good time.

Magnentius, however able, is not a loyal commander however. This being the case, we order an equally able but much more loyal legate, Tiberius Hortensius, recently returned from crushing the rebellion at Isca-Dumnorium, to rendezvous with Magentius in the north.

Strangely, he encounters a band of ruffians and highwaymen ahead.

It is a good thing his makeshift army of marines and auxiliaries are not far behind though.

Captain Ardaburius is captured and crucified on the spot for attempting to take a legate hostage and made an example of. This is the second time a legate has been intercepted on Rome’s roads. We must deal with this threat soon.

Finally meeting up with Magnentius, Tiberius duly informs him he is commended for his recent victory, but from now on is discharged from further duties and that he is instructed to return to Eburacum, minus his title of Dux Britanium.

Without an army to back him up, he resentfully complies.

And so was order and authority restored in the province of Britannia. The rebellion crushed, the barbarians dealt with and their king slain, banditry eradicated, and loyal officers rewarded. With the province pacified, the new Governor now sets his sights to lands beyond the wall....

Last edited by Knonfoda; April 04, 2013 at 10:31 AM.

Episode XVIII: Loose Ends

Meanwhile, in Africa, the regional field army of Zeno Vettius engages the rebel chieftain, Burrhus, who has taken a liking to Roman lands.

– Embedded Soundtrack, play while reading this AAR.

Their general, while competent, seems nothing special.

His army seems equally mediocre. These Berber tribesmen, better suited for raiding and pillaging, should prove easy to crack before our lines. At least that is what we expect.

We make a long line, with cavalry on one wing and dromedarii on the other, both led by family members.

Zeno orders all lines to engage the enemy!

And so it begins!

However, the right alae is in trouble. Facing an uphill charge, they are peppered with javelins.

Bloody Mauritanians! I knew I could not trust you to fight your own countrymen!

Oh but this is a horse of a different colour! A Roman family member fleeing from Berber tribesmen!? He shall be flogged for his cowardice!

With our attack halted in its tracks, we order the infantry to stand down and re-position itself.

But the Berber tribesmen are quick to take advantage, and shower our retreating cohorts, a number of which break, endangering our right flank even further through their selfish action.

At least our left flank seems to be having better luck!

The exchange of lancea and javelins is never ending, our left alae engage the enemy horse.

And finally rout them!

Meanwhile, our right flank has finally achieved some semblance of order.

The cavalry engagements continue, and as if arrows and spears were not bad enough, a sandstorm develops.

It’s a close run fight, but our cavalry, with their superior discipline and training, manage to rout the enemy horse.

The chieftain Burrhus decides it time for glory and comes crashing down into our lines like a torrent down the mighty Danube.

His effort is futile though, and he is forced to flee in dishonour, with his tail between his legs.

Our line begins another forward advance, hopefully this time to destroy the enemy proper.

In a repeat of the previous engagement, all is well on the western front, but to the east, our lines begin to break. AGAIN!?

Thankfully the pressure our cavalry puts on the enemy proves too much and they too break.

Our cavalry, incensed beyond reason and deprived of an easy victory, eagerly hunt down the retreating Burrhus.

The warlord is unhorsed, falling to the ground, he is brutally trampled underfoot by the pursuing cavalry. All that remains is the broken, battered body of a Berber chieftain, left to rot in the sands, his bones destined to bleach the barren land he was born and died in.

And just for good measure, our men make sure he is dead.

Victory is ours, but not worth the 800 men it took to eliminate this rebel.

At least we have gained something from this debacle.

Meanwhile, we put one of our agents in rebus to use, first by sabotaging the enemy training camps.

And then to spy on one of their impending battles against their own little rebellion. It’s good to know we’re not alone in dealing with these scum.

With the little money we have, we begin building more Mansiones, road side inns that improve trade between our provinces, and do a little raising of taxes, now that the Empire’s population is more amicable towards their new Emperor.

At their own discretion, local magistrates and governors tear down those buildings the Emperor has deemed unworthy...

In some places, with less than desirable consequences....

The Franks seem to be taking liberties with their status as Foederati, roaming at will in Roman lands, well beyond their own borders. We prepare for a situation that is escalating quickly and will no doubt lead to war.

We decide to gather our forces in strength so as to not be attacked and destroyed piecemeal by their larger numbers. Hopefully our troop concentration will send them the message that Rome is not to be tackled with, nor betrayed!

Meanwhile, remnants of the rebellion see fit to try and block the march of one of our legions towards Gaul. We shall see what our legionaries think of that.

- Troops up ahead sir!

- Friendly? Not by the looks of it sire.

- Very well! Advance! Engage the enemy!

Hmmn! Nothing like the smell of burning rebel corpses in the morning! The marching army, after unceremoniously dumping the bodies of the fallen on top of each other and setting them alight, continue their march into northeast Gaul to face the Franks.

In Illyria, the Quadi decide they have better things to do with their time than besiege a line of forts, and withdraw into their dark forests. Terentilus sighs in relief, his battered legion, now standard less and unfit for battle, spared further destruction.

He is ordered to meet up with Aetius, resign his position as Comites Rei Militaris Illyricum towards the former, and regroup his legion and stand his ground. He follows his orders and camps outside of Aquincum.

Meanwhile, Aetius moves to engage a Quadi warband which broke through the Danube frontier forts and now lays siege to Sirmium.

The combined armies of Aetius and Sirmium’s garrison should have no trouble defeating these Dacian marauders!

We will attempt to take the high ground and fight them from an advantageous position.

The armoured numerous of Sarmatians may also come in handy!

Sagitarii! Destroy those ravenous berserkers!

Our cavalry does what it does best and routs all before it!

Our line forms and prepares a double envelopment of the enemy!

Our Sarmatians indeed prove themselves worthy when they kill the enemy Chieftain, Adalgard!

DO YOU NOT GROW WEARY OF FLEEING AND DYING IN YOUR THOUSANDS QUADI!? Your bones and flesh and blood fertilising our lands for generations to come, your womenfolk wailing at the news of deceased husbands, your military might bled dry before our walls and forts!? You should quit while you lot are ahead Quadi!

With Sirmium temporarily safe, Aetius makes camp at a nearby village, within distance of most of the frontier forts.

In Thrace, the victorious Gothic army takes residence in the large legionary fortress of Oescus, headquarters of the NOT YET FORGOTTEN Legio Quinta Macedonica, seven times awarded by the ruling Augusti. At some point we should probably recall them from the Oriens.

In Africa, we reinforce our borders and send cavalry out to observe the limitless desert.

The Empire, 361 A.D. Not quite freefall, but declining nevertheless.

Financially, we are in ruin, but the Sassanids remain incredibly rich, followed by this empire we hear to the East in the Indus, the Guptas. Perhaps Julian is indeed right to set his sights and ambitions to the lands of Alexander and beyond?

Meanwhile, in Germania, we lose our one and only Agentes in rebus (spy) attempting to find our further information from the Iuthungi settlement. This is extremely bad news as now, without siege equipment, it will take weeks to successfully siege the city, weeks in which the enemy can muster reinforcements to throw at us, much like the previous siege of their capital.

And just a stone’s throw away, in what used to be the capital of the Alemanni tribes, Marjorianus, legate of the Cornuti and Brachiati legions, enjoys a relaxing and much deserved massage from his recently acquired slave, Adela, fresh widow of a forgotten Alemanni chieftain.

- Ahh... these Germans may not make good soldier material... but then again with women like these pampering them I can see why... a man could get used to this... on the neck my dear, on the neck!

- Yes, dominus. Her words were dry and her expression blank. This was the reason Marjorianus had chosen her, she had seemed a broken woman even before the slave mongers had acquired her, or so he heard. Probably from some tragedy or another. The broken ones suit him just fine, saves him the trouble. It was the fresh ones that worried him. His mind, momentarily distracted, returned to the idea that had been entertaining him.

- Flavius, call forth the tribunes for a meeting. Inform them we are to discuss plans for our next incursion....
    Last edited by Knonfoda; December 23, 2015 at 09:56 AM.

I love this AAR...

(for furture refference, its Panninia, not Illyria...)

+rep