Thread: Black on skins

Shazbot's Avatar grant woodgrain grippin

Default Black on skins

When ever I try to make a new skin for a unit, there is a little black box around the shield.

Does anyone know what to do.

Virgil's Avatar Powered by Technicolor©

yeah thats an alpha channel problem. You need to save the new skin as a .dds file.
    Patron to Shadows, The White Knight, Darkragnar, and
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia. Under the patronage of Horsearcher.

and to make new alpha channels:

To do this just open the texture. Then select black around the shield with the 'rectangular marquee tool' or the 'pologinal lasso tool'. Then go to the channels tab ( if you don't see it, you can make it active by pressing 'window' on the top and then 'channels' ). Then you just paint the selected black, and if you then save it correctly, you wouldn't see it in game )
    Proud member of Rise of Persia
    ROP Faction Preview: Thrakian Bessoi
    ROP Faction Preview: Persia

Under the honourable and illuminating patronage of Perikles , reputable son of imb39 in the house of Wilpuri

As stated, a mangled alpha channel in your skin is the cause of the black box of evil doom.

Here is how I save skins and 'bundle' them with their original alpha channels for final use (I couldn't quickly find a .dds plugin for Corel Draw, so I followed someone's recommendation to use a program known as DXTBmp to convert the skins into a different file type. Incidentally, it also allows for nice and easy alpha channel preservation).

This will allow for clean and original alpha channels:

1. Download and install DXTBmp at http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk...ad/dxtbmpx.EXE

2. Open the .tga.dds skin file you wish to edit using DXTBmp.

NOTICE: On the top right part of the program, you will see a viewing box titled 'Alpha Channel' containing a black-and-white picture. Unless you alter the model the skin is assigned to, this alpha channel will always remain effective as you will simply be altering the existing 2d skin image.

3. Click the arrow-to-folder button under the Alpha Channel box (fourth from the left). Save the alpha as a .bmp.

4. Edit the skin in your preferred program to your heart's delight. Do not worry about changing the alpha channel. Screw it over and make it feel pain. Save.

5. Open the finished skin in DXTBmp. Click the arrow-from-folder button under the Alpha Channel box (first on left). Choose the previously saved alpha channel .bmp.

6. Save the file and give your new skin a whirl!

I hope this helps with your problem.
    Last edited by Krusoth_the_Plague; March 03, 2006 at 07:40 PM.

Shazbot's Avatar grant woodgrain grippin

Alright guys, thanx for the replies, it works now.