Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: [Version 3.0] Upcoming Features

Default Re: [ACW] All about Version 3.0

are you going to integrate ranked fire, and why didn t you in the current version ?

Hinkel's Avatar Commander in Chief

Quote Originally Posted by phoen!x View Post
    are you going to integrate ranked fire, and why didn t you in the current version ?
    Rank fire is outdated in the civil war. Volleys and fire at will were mostly used, which is integrated in the mod
    --------------------------- The American Civil War for Total War ------------------------------

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

Because it's unrealistic and looks horrible, when soldiers are moving and firing like robots.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Rank fire is outdated in the civil war. Volleys and fire at will were mostly used, which is integrated in the mod
    I completely agree with what you have said and what Primergy said but can you not null fire by rank and give the research in the campaign anyway?
    basically what i mean is disable the fire by rank and still have the research.

Because i would love to be able to research rifled barrels.

I am Fuzzy Bear's Avatar Laetus

Can Fire by File be integrated instead of Fire by Rank? I know units used that manuover avidly in combat.

yeah, I think you are right. Didn t know that it was outdated,
    but I think in Europe they still used it ... There was a new rifle invented about 1860 - 1870, which was able to get loaded from behind. Thus soldiers could lay down ... But I wonder why they didn t use fire by ranks as long as the front loaded rifles were used ... ?

Can Fire by File be integrated instead of Fire by Rank? I know units used that manuover avidly in combat.
    The Problem is that units will spread out before firing, opening up huge gaps between soldiers. It also takes quite a bit with large units so in this time a unit with simple two rank fire already fired, mabye is already close to having reloaded.

It's simply not practical for the gameplay.
    Because i would love to be able to research rifled barrels
    You already have rifled barrels :

didn t use fire by ranks as long as the front loaded rifles were used ... ?
    Because controlled fire needs highly trained soldiers, besides that fire_by_rank was barly used in the way CA did it.
    Much more common was a volley fire, with the first rank kneeling down and the second making a step forward, so all 3 ranks can fire.

As far as i know the french still used a controlled firing style in the franco-prussian war, where the fire went from left to right. But not shure how common it was, but atleast i read it once that a german soldier described the firing of the french as "rolling salvos"

If, in the final version, there is going to be just the US map. Will that mean it will be more detailed, even larger?? (more towns, streams, bridges) And what about the possibility of loading troops on trains, like ships. Will there also be a cutting of supply lines like ship lanes??(please, don't tell me that is covered in the knocking out of industries)

zimm out

well, i could see a way to implement this (the trains) but in the there is a simple problem... we can't edit the campaign map :/

I am Fuzzy Bear's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Primergy View Post
    there is a simple problem... we can't edit the campaign map :/
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

The Problem is that units will spread out before firing, opening up huge gaps between soldiers. It also takes quite a bit with large units so in this time a unit with simple two rank fire already fired, mabye is already close to having reloaded.

It's simply not practical for the gameplay.

You already have rifled barrels :

Because controlled fire needs highly trained soldiers, besides that fire_by_rank was barly used in the way CA did it.
    Much more common was a volley fire, with the first rank kneeling down and the second making a step forward, so all 3 ranks can fire.

As far as i know the french still used a controlled firing style in the franco-prussian war, where the fire went from left to right. But not shure how common it was, but atleast i read it once that a german soldier described the firing of the french as "rolling salvos"
    A minor correction here, at least as far as American soldiers of the Civil War went -- Civil War soldiers always fought in two ranks, save when they were in skirmish order. And they almost never knelt. Soldiers in skirmish order would go prone, but if you have ever tried to load a musket while on the ground, you would know why this was not common. Similarly, loading while kneeling is virtually impossible,when in the ranks. I really like the looks of this mod, and do intend to download it, but I hope that the three ranks are not a glitch due to technology, and can be fixed, as deploying from a column into a two-rank line out of three ranks would have not be doable -- not to mention that Civil War battalions always marched in a column of fours, unless they were advancing in columns of companies.

Maybe it's nitpicking, but if it is just as easy to do it right, I hope you are able to do so! P.S. The trailer was cute, but when I saw the "Did you ever wonder..." I could not help but be reminded that less than two weeks ago, I was on the field with my own battalion of 250 men (in an event in which there were over 8,000 of us), and I certainly felt as if I were "there."

B.C. Milligan
    Company K, First Penna. Reserves
    Last edited by Remise; August 04, 2011 at 03:53 PM.

A minor correction here,
    My explanation was a generaly one for fighting techniques in earlier periods of musket warfare . I'm aware that the units of the ACW fought in two man deep ranks.

but I hope that the three ranks are not a glitch due to technology, and can be fixed, as deploying from a column into a two-rank line out of three ranks would have not be doable
    Well, the AI dislikes it when the front is too broad so in campaign this was a gameplay adjustment. If you play battles with huge unit sizes it's because empire simply doesn't allow a much wider deployment of a unit, so here it get's automaticly changed to 3 or even four ranks.

My explanation was a generaly one for fighting techniques in earlier periods of musket warfare . I'm aware that the units of the ACW fought in two man deep ranks.

Well, the AI dislikes it when the front is too broad so in campaign this was a gameplay adjustment. If you play battles with huge unit sizes it's because empire simply doesn't allow a much wider deployment of a unit, so here it get's automaticly changed to 3 or even four ranks.
    I understand that there's not much you can do about that, if the game engine is not on your side. I am sure it won't affect gameplay.

B.C. Milligan

I have tried to play ACW 2.65 multiplayer campaign but it starts in 1700 with no confed or union. Did I do something wrong? Is it possible to start the multiplayer campaign in the 1860's with one person union and another person confed? Would any of the darth mods help, or can I edit any of the settings files to make this happen?

mejksee's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by wagvette View Post
    I have tried to play ACW 2.65 multiplayer campaign but it starts in 1700 with no confed or union. Did I do something wrong? Is it possible to start the multiplayer campaign in the 1860's with one person union and another person confed? Would any of the darth mods help, or can I edit any of the settings files to make this happen?
    Is that even Possible???............If it is im gonna cry.........

It is possible, but you have to copy the startpos file from the Campaigns/ACW/ folder to the Folder Empire uses for the MP Campaign.

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

Hello i have logged in to just say a few words for version 3.0 when it does arrive.

I play your mod every week maybe once every 2 days i love it to bits i always checked your pages on this mod waiting for 3.0 for a while now i would just like to ask if possible the time frame on which it will be ready for public use ?

Cheers and i wish you good luck on all your mods if you could make a list on who to REP i shall give it out to the people involved in this project and excellent mod.

Again cheers i shall log back in once 3.0 is released cheers.

Hey,

a lot of our members have time problems atm (especially shokh who does nearly all the camp coding) so there wasn't much progess. I don't think that there will be an release this year .

dont worry some of us are still working on it when time permits. maybe i can talk the guys into letting me release my units pack..... dont worry everyone, its slow right now but we are still working on it.

would be great

And what is camp coding ?