Thread: Senate missions with unified Rome

Libertus

Default Senate missions with unified Rome

i remember reading a post where someone was basically saying he missed senate missions in some mod that has unified Rome. the other guy replied that since senate faction was removed and with them the missions gone too, it made no sense to have senate missions since now you're rome and the senate, you do what you want.

i tend to disagree, since i tend to identify myself with the faciton leader. i too miss the senate missions, and i do think that most of tw games have missions too. you're the leader, the senate may be viewed as the "suggester". it's up to you if you want to follow their "advice".

and i wouldn't be so hard to have senate missions with senate removed. it would require some scripting though, in the manner of:

script at certain date checks if roman facion holds syracuse. it finds they don't, so a srcipted pop up comes up and states:
    "the senate suggests that for the glory of rome bla bla we should conquer syracuse."

reward may be money... or perhaps a triumphal arch building with happiness or xperience bonuses ( i don't hink i saw triumphal arches in any mods, but then again i havent played any mod for a long time)

then the script checks if your faction has conquered syracuse in the given number of turns. if all conditions are met, you get your reward and a new popup with "mission accomplished" type of message.

again i say, perhaps someone already made something like this, havent played any mods for some time so i cant be sure. but i think that this is very doable, for all those who want missions back, while playing unified rome.

Default Re: Senate missions with unified Rome

Make unified Rome with adding the roman provinces, as an example, of the Scipii and Brutii to the Julii, but keep the Senate, so you will be the only true ruler of the romans and have no civil war and you will have the Senate to give you missions... You just need to mod descr_strat... haven't tried this yet... but I think its possible...
    Macedon1an's Workshop | Germanic Unit Pack | HRTW | Macedonia Rises Again

"With the blood we shed all over the Macedonian fields and forests, we serve freedom, as the Macedonian army of Alexander of Macedon did, with our slogan “Freedom or Death!"" - From the Constitution of the Macedonian Kresna Uprising, 1878

Libertus

you didn't quite get me there.. i was talking about adding back the missions, without the senate.. i'm sure you're aware that the number of factions is hardcoded, so available factions are precious. there's no point in keeping the senate faction just so you can have them issue you missions, when you can turn them into something else. so, if you have a mod and you already converted brutii, scipii, and senate to different factions, you can play with rome and still get missions by some scripting. yes, there won't be various types of missions, only the "conquer this province" ones, but i still think it would be a nice touch.
    think about it. you play as rome. you expand. at certain date the script triggers the senat's suggestion - the conquest of certain province in certain number of turns. you choose to follow their advice, conquer, you get rewarded for your efforts so you don't have to loot and exterminate the city - you get a money reward from senate, or perhaps a nice trumphal arch in that city, which gives your troops morale and experience bonuses, and happiness bonus to the people. by my oppinion, it gives one more small touch of reality to the game. i'm sure every modder experienced in scripting would have no trouble making something like this.

I believe the missions are hardcoded to the senate faction. Youre best bet is to unify rome except for the Senate, so it is you and the Senate. I did it, and I get missions from them. I did this since I wanted to be a little bit historical, since Rome's control WAS by the Senate until Augustus. So, in the game, I eventually got to the Civil War point by having to defeat the Senate: voila, an Empire is born! If you want missions, I think it's the only way you can do it.
    IBRR Fanatic

Metaluis90's Avatar Ordinarius

is it possible to do the following?

Got two roman factions, say, julii and the senate. The senate gives you mission, etc etc and when they want to outlaw you, all your provinces (except for two or three) are given to the senate, in order to recreate a civil war

Another one

Two romans factions which act like the roman families (expanding and so) but one of them have the "superfaction:senate" attribute, so it keeps giving you orders, so, when it comes the civil war, the only thing that will happen is that you and the senatew will be at war, without a script that gives your provinces to the senate

has anyone tried it?
    "Rules without exceptions last eternally; Roman Law is the only law"
    "The mighty sword in mighty Roman hands"

If there isnīt "superfaction" attribute in decr_strat (in senate faction or another), there arenīt senate missions in the game. The missions are always for factions with Rome culture (or allies in superfaction system).

If all the other roman factions aren't roman any more and only the senate faction is roman, If I put the senate as a superfaction. Will they get missions?

No, in original Vanilla Senate faction (superfaccion) was programmed for not human use it. Only the missions are for human player of other factions of roman culture (only if a supefaction exists in the game (romans_senate or other).

Primo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

No. Senate Missions have nothing to do with the culture, or the superfaction attribute.

The missions appear as long as the Senat exists for any faction which is listed higher than the Senat faction in descr_sm_factions. It is very well possible to give - for example - the dacians Senate Missions. It is, however, not possible to make another roman family, for clicking on the Senate Button as a non-original roman family crashes the game. The Senat faction itself is also no original roman family, and thus playing as it would 1) deactivate the Senate completely and 2) lead to a crash when clicking on the Senate or Senate Offices Button.

The Superfaction Attribute merely does the following: You can see - and will be seen by - a faction if you are its superfaction or it is yours. Thats how the shared map of the romans works. The non-superfaction will also be unable to attack the superfaction. The reason will be stated as: You donīt have enough popularity to attack Rome yet.

I am currently trying to reintroduce Senate Missions in my mod Rome Total History.

The mod has only one unified Roman faction, while brutii and scipii are now Greek and senate is Eastern culture.

To reintroduce the Senate and the missions appears extremely simple. I just put the following line in place:

faction romans_julii, balanced caesar
    superfaction romans_brutii
    denari 24000

Now I can click the Senate button, but have to live with the fact that the magistrates are mostly from the Greek Cities.

In the first rounds vanilla had always five magistrates from the Senate and one from another Roman faction. So this appears to be hardcoded. The system simply takes five from faction number four (now the Greek Cities) and a quaestor from another Roman faction, in my case faction number three, the former Scipii, who are now Hellenic Kingdoms (Sparta, Pergamon, Bactria).

I can even mod the traits system to exlude that the Greek family members get traits like Consul or Ex Consul. So if you play the Greek Cities, Sparta, or Epirus, you won't even notice, that your leaders are in a foreign senate!

One theoretical problem would be, that I cannot declare war on Epirus (brutii), because that is supposed to be my super-faction, but that is not much of a problem, because the Romans are already at war right from the start. The only thing I should do is not making peace too early.

So this is all acceptable, and actually wouldn't bother me, as long as I can get Senate missions for the Roman Republic.

And, indeed, the missions seem to work very fine. I've played a test run over ten or twelve rounds, receiving several missions which I fulfilled, receiving always some money.

These were the missions:
    1. Take Genoa (Segesta)
    2. Blockade the port of Segestica
    3. Take Arausio
    4. Take Patavium

But then, after taking Patavium, in round 10, I had a CTD. I've tried to exclude other causes and, since the crash happens after the Rebels (slave) have completed their round, now I'm pretty sure that it comes from the next Senate mission.

So these are my questions:
    1. Has anybody tried to keep the Senate with only one unified Roman faction?
    2. Did it work or did you encounter similar CTDs or other problems?
    3. Is there a way to resolve the problem? Should I choose a different super-faction or something else?

Thanks for your attention. Any help is welcome!
    Last edited by Philadelphos; December 02, 2015 at 09:36 PM.
    Creator of Rome Total History
    Rome 2 sucks, EB, RS and RTR were yesterday...
    Don't you feel like it's time to move on?
    Explore the ancient world, fight epic battles,
    conquer beautiful queens and princesses...
    Try a new groundbreaking mod:
    Experience Rome Total History!
    Play RTH or wait for Rome 3!

I've done some further experiments and come to the following conclusions.

I believe that the CTD is due to a Senate Mission regarding one of the other two superfaction members. These missions appear as a message in the Senate Policy panel. Probably the Senate wanted to outlaw Epirus, and that meant that they had to outlaw themselves.

I appears quite clear, that the Senate is closely linked to the position of factions in the game. Indeed, you need to write only once Superfaction in any faction, and the game automatically takes the first three factions to complete the Senate panel, and the fourth to fill the Senate offices. Even if you choose a completely different superfaction name, let's say dacia, the senate magistrates will be most likely of faction number four.

My hypothesis is that if you choose one of the first three factions for your superfaction, it will always create CTDs. And if there is no way to deactivate certain critical missions, you will enjoy such a game only for a short while.

IF ANYBODY KNOWS HOW TO DEACTIVATE CERTAIN SENATE MISSIONS, OR ANY OTHER SOLUTION, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

But you can play as another player and have the Romans (and if you want the other two factions) guided by Senate missions.
    So my configuration is actually useful for playing Epirus, Carthage or any other faction. It should result in a much more active Roman faction, that attacks Sardinia, and similar stuff, but this must still be verified.

If you want to play Rome with the Senate, you need to put a further faction as superfaction (not # 2 and 3), in my case that would be the Greek Cities, but it could also be Dacia, or Eastern Kingdoms (romans_senate), or even Rebels. But factions number 2 and 3 will be in the super-faction in any case, even if you don't declare them, and they will receive Senate Missions. And they won't be able to wage war against each other or the super-faction-senate, unless they are already at war (like Rome-Epirus, or Rebels against all).

Each party will see all that happens in the other countries, and they may also receive some impossible mission, if one of the superfaction partners loses a province and they are ordered to take it back. This is why the Rebels are no good choice. So you need to choose well the factions you want to include into your superfaction.

In my case, I think the best choice is Epirus, because they are so close and already at war with the Romans.
    The Greek Cities as the Superfaction Senate is not so bad after all, because most of these (Massilia, Athens, Rhodes, Byzantium, Chersonesus) were loyal allies of the Romans.
    Even the Scipii (Hellenic Kingdoms) are not so bad, because they include Pergamon and Sparta. The only downfall is that they may lose some provinces in Bactria and then you're ordered to reconquer Marakanda or something like that.
    Alternatives might be Numidia or Dacia, or even Thrace, Illyria, Macedon, or Scythia. It depends on one's strategy and alliances.

In any case, it should be able to play a unified Roman faction with Senate orders. I've already played twenty turns with the greek_cities as my superfaction, and it all went fine, with the only inconvenience, that I once had a Senate mission for conquering a lost province in Bactria. So I'm optimistic, that I can add this at least as an option to the next edition of Rome Total History.

I'll keep you updated.
    Creator of Rome Total History
    Rome 2 sucks, EB, RS and RTR were yesterday...
    Don't you feel like it's time to move on?
    Explore the ancient world, fight epic battles,
    conquer beautiful queens and princesses...
    Try a new groundbreaking mod:
    Experience Rome Total History!
    Play RTH or wait for Rome 3!

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphos View Post
    I've done some further experiments and come to the following conclusions.

I believe that the CTD is due to a Senate Mission regarding one of the other two superfaction members. These missions appear as a message in the Senate Policy panel. Probably the Senate wanted to outlaw Epirus, and that meant that they had to outlaw themselves.

I appears quite clear, that the Senate is closely linked to the position of factions in the game. Indeed, you need to write only once Superfaction in any faction, and the game automatically takes the first three factions to complete the Senate panel, and the fourth to fill the Senate offices. Even if you choose a completely different superfaction name, let's say dacia, the senate magistrates will be most likely of faction number four.

My hypothesis is that if you choose one of the first three factions for your superfaction, it will always create CTDs. And if there is no way to deactivate certain critical missions, you will enjoy such a game only for a short while.

IF ANYBODY KNOWS HOW TO DEACTIVATE CERTAIN SENATE MISSIONS, OR ANY OTHER SOLUTION, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

But you can play as another player and have the Romans (and if you want the other two factions) guided by Senate missions.
    So my configuration is actually useful for playing Epirus, Carthage or any other faction. It should result in a much more active Roman faction, that attacks Sardinia, and similar stuff, but this must still be verified.

If you want to play Rome with the Senate, you need to put a further faction as superfaction (not # 2 and 3), in my case that would be the Greek Cities, but it could also be Dacia, or Eastern Kingdoms (romans_senate), or even Rebels. But factions number 2 and 3 will be in the super-faction in any case, even if you don't declare them, and they will receive Senate Missions. And they won't be able to wage war against each other or the super-faction-senate, unless they are already at war (like Rome-Epirus, or Rebels against all).

Each party will see all that happens in the other countries, and they may also receive some impossible mission, if one of the superfaction partners loses a province and they are ordered to take it back. This is why the Rebels are no good choice. So you need to choose well the factions you want to include into your superfaction.

In my case, I think the best choice is Epirus, because they are so close and already at war with the Romans.
    The Greek Cities as the Superfaction Senate is not so bad after all, because most of these (Massilia, Athens, Rhodes, Byzantium, Chersonesus) were loyal allies of the Romans.
    Even the Scipii (Hellenic Kingdoms) are not so bad, because they include Pergamon and Sparta. The only downfall is that they may lose some provinces in Bactria and then you're ordered to reconquer Marakanda or something like that.
    Alternatives might be Numidia or Dacia, or even Thrace, Illyria, Macedon, or Scythia. It depends on one's strategy and alliances.

In any case, it should be able to play a unified Roman faction with Senate orders. I've already played twenty turns with the greek_cities as my superfaction, and it all went fine, with the only inconvenience, that I once had a Senate mission for conquering a lost province in Bactria. So I'm optimistic, that I can add this at least as an option to the next edition of Rome Total History.

I'll keep you updated.
    use the mod ''east and raders'' it have only one rome faction without senate missions. The only problem is that My vanilla is very modificated by me and is difficult now put those modifications over Not ''Pure'' Vanilla.