View Poll Results: Do missile units feel underpowered with new armour upgrade?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, they are just fine

2 20.00%
  • Yes, they feel undepowered , no enough missile damage

8 80.00%
  • Missiles too strong

0 0%
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Real Battle, Buildings, Recruitment (RBBR) for BC 2.3

Default Real Battle, Buildings, Recruitment (RBBR) for BC 2.3

This minimod doesn't have new units or new graphics. Makers of Broken Crescent did absolutely fabulous jobs with them. All the graphics are very sharp, clean and original. What this minimod does is to improve battle fighting experience. I noticed some inconsistencies when playing BC2.3, as spearmen defeating sword infantry of the same level, some issues with archers, javelins and such. For instance, Sahmnapah spearmen defeats almost every sword unit of the same or higher level..
    There are several files attached to this post. All changes are modular. You can choose to install all of them or just files that you are interested in.

Explanation for each changed file:
    1) In descr_projectile file I adjusted projectile accuracies, velocities. As the result, high end composite bows have higher velocities and accuracies than longbows ( as it's been historically).
    Crossbows shoot more straiter trajectories ( it doesn't curve as much as for bows).
    This file was balanced for use with my EDU

2) In descr_walls file changes were made to range and frequency of bolts and arrows fired from wall towers and gatehouses. Ranges/ accuracies were increased to equal foot archers and siege machines. For instance, tower balistas ranges were much shorter than field balistas, and many archers will easily out shoot arrows towers. It created situations were defenders didn't have any advantage fighting on walls. Historically it was otherwise. These changes give some advantage to settlements defenders. Just a few elite foot archers units will have higher ranges than arrow towers.
    Also too tall Siege towers and ladders with small stone wall settlement issue was fixed. They are the correct size now.

3) campaign_script file Fixes small bugs as Oman getting 3000 dinaries when treasure dips below 0, reduced raiders' loot ( to 150 dinaries from 1000). 1000 dinaries is just too much for stationing your army in unfriendly province. I am not convinced that such script should exist in the first place, it's making game easier for player. Few other small adjustments, as slightly lowering Georgia, Armenia, KOJ, Makuria AI cash bonuses & spamming garrisons troops adjustment.

4) The most extensive changes were made to export_descr_unit file.
    They were inspired by RC by point blank and my extensive research on this topic.
    I 've had minimod for SS done based on that research , some of my EDU changes incorporated in other minimods for SS.
    Changes starting with infantry, now different weapons have different speed attack delay ( One handed swords being the fastest and 2 handed halberds and such being the slowest).
    Also weapons attack and speed depends of units training/zeal. Weapons attack being adjusted as well.
    Sword units of the same level will defeat any spear units of the same level and costs.

Also, units now have different terrain movement speeds based on training, armor, shields and weapons that they have. Lightly armored, trained units ( as swordsmen , javelins) will out run heavily armored, not trained units...
    Ranges for javelinmen were reduced from 60 meters to more realistic 45-50 meters. Javelinmen have a slight 2-5% terrain movement bonus, so they can skirmish effectively. No AP javelins & crossbows, AP attribute was removed - their missile attack greatly increased. AP attributes that halves units armour can not be used with missile units. It creates too much imbalance for low armour and high armoured units.
    Ranges and attack values for archers were revised as well. Trained, professional archers have higher missile attack, levies have lower attack and such.

All units formations were changed. Trained, high level infantry will fight in more compact formations, levies will fight in more loose ones.

- Many units had their defence skill reduced, armour for top- level units was increased, overall much better and realistic battle game experience.Grossly overpowered units were toned down ( as janissary heavy infantry, vagardian guards and such). They are still very powerfull, but have realistic stats in line with RC and common sence.

All stamina , heat penalties, and terrace modifiers were redone. Previously, for instance, many Turk units had the same heat penalties and stats as Jerusalem units.

Arrow counts were change to 30 arrows for FA, 50-60 arrows for HA for historical accuracy.

All units cost and recruitments were recalculated and made consistant. Factions get some small bonuses ( mostly in units upkeep costs ) for faction specific/specialization troops. For instance Turks get slightly less costs for archers, Jerusalem with religious/templar units, Kypchaks - cavalry, Georgia with swordsmen / med spearmen infantry and such.

Units stats preciously reflect unit descriptions and pictures. There were some mistakes in the original EDU regarding that.

Unit sizes were revised for each unit. Some units were reduced/increased for balance purposes and faction specialization.

Mercenaries now have 10% discount in recrutment costs and 50% higher upkeep than a regular unit with the same stats. Also they have lower moral than regular troops.
    Make sure to use the updated projectile file with EDU

5) desc-mercenaries deals with costs, availabilities and mercenaries pools.

6) strat.txt deals with conditions descriptions (required for new EDB)

7) export_description_guilds deals with guilds points and triggers. Unfortunately, vanilla BC2.3 has triggers for Kingdom units ( as Polish knights, Conquistadors) but not for any BC units. I completely reworked the guilds points and awards to make all guilds as likely to appear and to have correct triggers. For instance, when Leaders dies or plague come - some guilds points lost. When governor is present - this settlement gets guild points , if governor is very religious - settlement gets theological guild points and such...
    This is BETA , since it might need some future adjustments for a finer tuning

8) descr_missions Updates missions rewards and penalties

9) export_description_buildings (EDB) Changed a lots of things such as:

- many different bonuses/penalties for buildings, higher guilds, wonders have faction wide bonuses.

- changed building time and costs

- many buildings will have upkeep costs ( indicated by "+-" ) and many will have cash income showed as "+";

- For religious buildings their effect will depend on local religion levels, the higher a curtain religion is - the higher bonuses as happiness, trade or health.

- Same goes for religious troops, they can be recruited only after religion reaches certain levels

- Many buildings will have penalties in addtion to bonuses. For instance, ports and silk road in addition to income and happiness will produces law dissoder and small health penalty ( from overseas infections)

- Slowing rectruitment availabilties for all factions but especially for Romans, KOJ and Georgians, which will result in more balanced game and less late game spam stacking

-Smith and armourers upgrade armour - not weapons damage ( no more "magical" spear , axes and swords). Each weapon upgrade gave about +3 actual weapons damage increase. All BC units except ( some african and militias) can get 1 armour upgrade ( which equals to about +2.5 armour bonus)

Files that required for proper EDB working are export_descr_guilds , strat , export_descr_units. Please make sure to download the latest EDU since it has the correct armour upgrades and costs.

10) descr_campaign_db.xml Adjusted/fixes many small things for campaing playing as reduced FM max age to 95 years instead of 120 years, beter AI behaving for attacks and seiges, more balanced assasins. To have the same file but with buildable permanent forts download my minimod below.

Thanks to the makers of BC for wonderful mod, and to Point Blank , David93, wudang_clown for ideas and good discussion. Feedback and suggested changes appreciated.

Installation:
    1) Download the attached files and unzip EDB & descr_campaign_db.
    2) You can rename original files ( in the case if you'd want to try it out / go back to old campaign later)
    3) Paste files in to following locations:
    a) descr_projectile , descr_walls , export_descr_unit , export_description_guilds , descr_missions , export_description_buildings, descr_campaign_db to:
    SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Broken_Crescent_kingdoms\data\

b) strat.txt to: SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Broken_Crescent_kingdoms\data\text\

c) The desc-mercenaries , campaign_script files to : SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Broken_Crescent_kingdoms\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign

EDU, walls, projectile files are Fully Save-game compatible

Other files likely require a new campaign to work properly

My other submods for BC:
    Historical population, buildings and harder BC 2.3 campaign & modified SavageAI:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=457955

Buildable permanent stone forts for BC 2.3
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=459743

Recommended sub-mods (Note that no changes to bc_kingdoms.cfg are needed)
    Better water 2:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=432623

High Quality Sky textures:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=387014

Latest update - August 10. Modified campaign_script file. Fixed small bugs, AI bonus scripts & added better spawned garrisons to more cities
    July 27th fixed missing units in EDB, a few units got shield formation in EDU, & other small adjustments.
    July 18th Adjusted descr_campaign_db
    July 4th Updates to projectile, walls, EDU files. Slightly increased missile units accuracies, gates and walls updates.
    June 29 Removed immediate unit availability after game start/building constructions for many medium/high quality units & Small fixes ( applies only to EDB)
    June 28 Finished EDB, guilds, strat and missions files
    Last edited by rusnmat; September 09, 2011 at 04:16 PM.

Default Re: Real Battle minimod for BC 2.3

Brilliant man, an RR/Rc for BC just brilliant = rep

The Orcs of Gundabad Erin go Bragh FROGS

When I came back to Dublin I was court marshaled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence"
    Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire
    The English lost an Empire

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
    - Quentin Crisp

There is one weapon that the British cannot take away from us: we can ignore them.
    - Michael Collins

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken.
    - Bobby Sands

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

nice on thanks.after release of 2.3 we began to see many minimods.

Is it save game compatible?

The Orcs of Gundabad Erin go Bragh FROGS

When I came back to Dublin I was court marshaled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence"
    Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire
    The English lost an Empire

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
    - Quentin Crisp

There is one weapon that the British cannot take away from us: we can ignore them.
    - Michael Collins

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken.
    - Bobby Sands

Yes, it is fully save game compatible. I didn't test it earlier since I deleted my original Armenian campaign.
    I just applied the old files to my new Sejuks of Iraq campaign and everyting works fine (back to vanila stats).
    When I done my minimod for Stainless Steel it wasn't the case since I changed bodyguard unit size, and that made it not save game compatiable.In BC the bodyguard unit are at perfect size , not too big.
    I tested new stats in custom battles a lot , prior to releasing this minimod.
    Then played 25 turnes in Armenian campaign, everything was very balanced. Now I started Sejuks of Iraq with reduced to 1100 fl King purse. That is one fun campaign..
    Last edited by rusnmat; May 10, 2011 at 01:09 PM.

can u make it for my mod too?

Hi, I can make that too. To expedite it, just email me the EDU with the list of the new units ( for finding them in EDU). I assume the majority of units are the same as vanila BC2.3?
    The rest of the files can be used right away, you may use them for your mod...
    Last edited by rusnmat; May 10, 2011 at 01:48 PM.

there is no new units.i just change the model.i send my edu to u.others are no problem.but dont touch the horse of kypchaks.heavy horse they use also number of the kypchaks horse units i made more.also kypchak noble axe slav sword and slav spear i made their attack 1 point higher.u can adjust all the other things.but consider my changing.i send u my edu now by p.m.

i sent my edu to u by p.m.

Just got it. Sure I will not touch those units then. Can you send me the list of units that you changed models on or you changed models of all the units? I'd rather just copy the stats from the editted file and work just on the changed units...

Quote Originally Posted by rusnmat View Post
    Just got it. Sure I will not touch those units then. Can you send me the list of units that you changed models on or you changed models of all the units? I'd rather just copy the stats from the editted file and work just on the changed units...
    rusnmat bro.i ll use ur vanilla and i ll change my entry on urs.so u dont need to change anything.i ll use ur work.credits ll be given to u.spasiba.

kaiser1993's Avatar Senator

Just tried this and its really, really good.
    Never been a big fan of the combat and formations of BC.
    Good work.

Thanks for the feedback
    Last edited by rusnmat; May 10, 2011 at 04:42 PM.

I've long been an admirer of the BC team but always abandoned a campaign only 20 or so turns in due to its strange and unrealistic battle system. As a long-time RR/RC fan, I can't wait to see what ideas you've incorporated and actually give this mod another fair try!
    Wealth beyond measure, Outlander.

I just wanted to let everybody know that, of course, at this moment this minimod is not at 100 % at total realism and balance yet. Same as RR/RC is constantly improving and Point Blank continiously working on some adjustments for SS and TA..
    This minimod is work in progress. I've done some extensive testing on battle balancing. I think that at this moment it's at 80-85% the ideal balancing. There will be some future updates that should make the mode more realistic.
    I just uploaded 2 updated files ( EDU and projectile). They deal mostly with HA missile accuracies and missile ATK values, also some infantry units stats. There are hundreds of units in EDU file. To get all of them right will require some time.
    Since all the changes are save game compatible, please update your files with the lates update.
    Last edited by rusnmat; May 12, 2011 at 12:21 AM.

saglam2000's Avatar Campidoctor

Would you guys say this is better than the 3.0 battle system on the main page?
    "The Turks are never trapped. It's the people who surround them who are in trouble."Anthony Hebert

‎"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Nice to see submods popping up for BC. I have a question - why did you remove the AP bonus from crossbows? And javelins too.

I see you've removed the secondary axe for Templar axemen and Varangians to fix their charge and melee, nice

But there's a problem though, they're somehow have become super resistance against cavalry charge, they could slaughter Khwarizmian Cataphract with minimum casualty.

To Babygod22: Thanks for letting me know that they overpowered. As I remember, I reduced their attack from 20 to 17 ATK, but increased their unit size from 35 to 40 men with slightly increased costs. Unfortunately, 2 handed axes and halberds are the least adjusted and tested throughly. I've been focusing more on misille, sword and spear units since they make the majority . I'll test the balance of those units more closely and update the file within a few days.
    Last edited by rusnmat; May 12, 2011 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neige Noire View Post
    Nice to see submods popping up for BC. I have a question - why did you remove the AP bonus from crossbows? And javelins too.
    When I originally made my minimod for SS 6 months ago, I assigned AP attribute to very heavy crossbows/arbalest and heavy javelins. My first thoughts were that they had very strong penetrating power, they should have some AP attribute. I done some discusion on SS forum, many times with Point Blank since he invested in this topic.
    After sharing our thoughts and concepts, on some subjects he adjusted his aproach ( as for further increasing defence skills for the trained units and HA accuracies), on many I adjusted my aproach.
    After thinking about it, and extensively testing it, the conclusion was that AP for missiles just doesn't work. It is far better increase the ATK value of missile depending on the missile energy or proficiency bonus, that would be the representation of actual weapon. That what PB wrote a while ago,and kind of made me doubt my AP aprouch for arbalests..
    Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    IMHO using AP for any missile unit is overpowered. For example consider a heavy crossbow, with attack 6AP or 10.
    Case 1: Versus unarmored (0 armor) attack is either 6 or 10. AP version is underpowered in this case.
    Case 2: Versus Gothic Plate (17 armor) attack is -2 or -7. AP version is overpowered in this case.

In fact a heavy crossbow would have virtually no chance of penetrating gothic plate at all. All RC attack values are determined by attacking weapon joules of energy converted to a point penetration value, and then compared to armor with a value determined in the same fashion. Ball projectiles such as arquebus have their kinetic energy converted into a point energy equivalence reduced because of inefficient ballistics to penetrate armor. Consider that a longbow might be able to generate 100J of impact energy applied to a point, a steel crossbow as much as 200J, but a heavy musket as much as 3000J though relatively less efficient due to energy being applied to a large impact area.

Applying a magic AP 'halve the target armor' modifier has no basis in this game, especially as applied to missile weapons. Its all just physics, kinetic energy applied over a certain area versus a material with a certain resistance/strength, modified by angle of penetration etc which is already included by a slight downgrade fudge in all missile weapon attack values. AP's only real use is as a way to distinguish some specialized melee weapons (eg mace, polearms) but such weapons typically suffer a lower attack value and slower attack time.

I could understand the application of an 'AP' modifier for such weapons as modern HEAT warheads with special characteristics, but I'm much less certain that it makes sense in the more simplistic world of medieval weaponry.

Please see http://www.deremilitari.org/REVIEWS/williams_blast.htm, a great deal of the armor penetration work was derived from this as well as discussions with academics and experts in the field etc...

Last edited by rusnmat; May 12, 2011 at 10:12 PM.

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast