Thread: Bastion

Default Bastion

Bastion

By Confederate Jeb

So, my current employment involves waiting on my computer to download files for an hour and a half, working on the data for two and a half hours, then starting the process all over. Long story short I have a lot of free time, so more game reviews. Whopee!

This review covers both the Xbox Live Arcade and PC (Steam) versions of the game. I have beaten both versions, so I'll try to point out some differences between the two versions, if any. Since this game is a smaller game, its ratings are designed to represent a shorter game; therefore a 95 here would be great for this length, but pack the same amount of story into a AAA title and we're looking at a much lower score.

Plot and Characters

"Proper story’s supposed to start at the beginning. Ain’t so simple with this one. Now here’s a kid whose whole world got all twisted, leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky." - The Narrator, Rucks

Bastion is the story of the survivors of the Calamity, a recent even that destroyed most of the world. You play as The Kid, a member of the Masons, who begins his tale waking him on the Rippling Walls, the outermost defense of the great city Caelondia. A silent protagonist, The Kid's tale is told via Rucks the Narrator, a mysterious old man. Together the two hope to finish the construction of the Bastion, an emergency safe haven in the sky, by collection cores scattered throughout the ruins of the world. In his search for the Cores The Kid rescues Zulf, an Ura (the game's second human race) envoy, and Zia, an Ura singer born and raised in Caelondia.

What makes Bastion unique is the narration of Rucks, who not only provides the majority of the plot through his comments on The Kid's situations but also responds to the players actions. Fell off the map? Rucks will grimly state that The Kid fell to his death, then laugh it off when The Kid returns to the map. Decided on a specific weapon combination? Rucks has a comment for every combo. Sat around and attacked the scenery for a bit? Rucks will comment on The Kid releasing his pent up anger. The story presented by Rucks is deep and engaging, even more so when combined with the actual character's hidden past and personality.

Anything I say specifically about Zia and Zulf would probably be spoilers, so I won't say anything about them. Much of their backstory, along with The Kid's, can be revealed through a 20 wave gauntlet based on each of the characters. While they provide a lot of insight on actions of the characters, I would highly recommend beating these after beating the game/upgrading your weapons to near maximum, as doing lots of damage is the best way to succeed. I personally suggest playing them during a New Game Plus run (see Gameplay).

Plot Rating: 97/100 - Engaging, well-developed story. Some parts are left purposefully vague, leaving you begging for more.
    Character Rating: 100/100 - Despite only having four characters, each one has more than enough meat to them to give them real weight. Maybe so much so that you actually care for them.

Gameplay

Scumbags and Squirts.

Gameplay for the most part follows a specific pattern; the player chooses a destination to travel to from the Bastion, goes through the level, and then come back to the Bastion. The Bastion serves as a base for the player, with six different building locations to upgrade as the player collects more cores. Each building serves a different purpose, and are as follows:

Arsenal: Where the player can choose which two weapons to take into battle, along with a special ability.
    Forge: The place to customize and upgrade your weaponry.
    Distillery: Holds different Spirits for the player to choose from, which grant passive bonuses.
    Lost-and-Found: Missed an item while traveling? Buy it at the Lost-and-Found, or purchase more crafting materials.
    Shrine: Invoke the power of the gods to provide additional experience at the cost of a harder time surviving.
    Memorial: Rucks has posted different challenges for The Kid to complete, with shards (in game currency) as the reward.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Bastion, the place to gear up for the Wilds.

With eleven weapons to choose from, five customizable parts for each, and over twenty special abilities, the player has a lot of options. Each weapon serves a different purpose, making each one feel unique. The Cael Hammer, for example, acts as the melee heavy hitter, while the Brusher's Pike serves as a long range melee option and the Army Carbine as a sniper rifle. At all times the players also carries a shield, which can be used to block attacks and even reflect incoming projectiles, and has the ability to roll out of the way of danger.

During the actual levels the player can destroy the scenery (as well as enemies) to gather shards, health potions, and black tonics (which are for the special abilities). Killing enemies slowly increases The Kid's level, which grants him more health as well as an additional spirit slot at the Distillery. Enemy types are diverse enough to warrant different strategies for each one, and bosses are challenging but not too hard.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Kid charging up a power shot with the Breaker's Bow. Top left corner shows health, experience, and potions; top right shows shards; bottom right shows weapons and your special ability.

In addition to the story levels and the backstory gauntlets mentioned previously, each weapon has its own challenge up based upon its specialty. Competing in these challenges nets the players additional crafting materials, and first prize earns the player a special ability specific to the weapon. These maps are good learning tools for figuring out the ups and downs of each weapon, and can make up for the

After completing the game, you are given the option of starting a New Game Plus, which allows you to carry over you weapon upgrades, experience, and shards. Considering how the game ends, you'll probably want to do this.

Gameplay Rating: 95/100 - Personally tailored weapons, invoked gods, and chosen spirits lets the player make the experience whatever he wants chooses it to be.
    Combat Rating: 95/100 - Plenty of enemy variety and the action is fast paced.

Aesthetics

The world forms from underneath The Kid.

This is more personal taste than anything, but the art style of this game is amazing. Wonderfully vibrant and original, the game really sticks out from the crowd. The music is also excellent, going from catchy and upbeat to haunting when needed. It's described as "acoustic frontier trip hop" by the composer, so it's certainly got an interesting sound.

Should You Buy Bastion?

The Kid

An emotional story with exceptional gameplay, Bastion is the definition of a great Xbox Arcade/smaller game. I would wholeheartedly encourage anyone who hasn't tried this game to do so. For deciding which system is best, I honestly don't have a preference; I only had to get used to the aiming on the PC. I found that I used the Dueling Pistols more on the Xbox just because I assigned them to the right trigger, and the Scrap Musket more on the PC, but I believe that as just a feeling thing. Take a look at the DLC section for another point to consider when deciding between the Xbox 360 and the PC.

Overall Rating for Bastion: 98/100

Achievements

The Xbox Arcade version of the game has 12 achievements, while the PC version has 24. Shared achievements between the two versions revolve around story based achievements, including completing the game normally and in New Game Plus. Oddball achievements including completing 50% and 100% of the vigils at the Memorial, upgrading each weapon at least once, collecting all four pets in the game, and surviving each on the 20 wave gauntlets. Steam specific achievements include beating the final part of the first level without falling off, fully upgrading every weapon, earning 1,000,000 points in Score Attack Mode (see DLC), and completing each of the four gauntlets (see DLC) with 5 or more and 10 gods. Other than the invoke gods gauntlet achievements, none of the achievements are difficult to do, and at worst take a little while to get decent enough at each of the weapons to earn their specific vigils. Easily perfected on the Xbox 360.

Achievement Difficulty: 2/10 for Xbox 360, 5/10 for PC - Story achievements come naturally, while only the gauntlet and vigil achievements take time. Steam specific invoke god achievements will be challenging, but with patience are doable.

DLC

Bastion doesn't have DLC per se, but it does have a patch that adds new content to the game. The Stranger's Dream adds a 20 wave gauntlet for Rucks, though it doesn't add too much to his backstory. The patch also includes two new game modes; No-Sweat mode, which gives the player infinite lives to complete the game, and Score Attack, where the player earns points from combat efficiency and shrines invoked, and allows all areas to be repeated. The reason this is entitled DLC is because this patch is a $1 download for Xbox users, due to some Microsoft policy. While not a lot of money, it does add to the cost of the Xbox version. I honestly don't feel the need here to rate a patch, so no rating for you.
    Last edited by Confederate Jeb; June 17, 2012 at 12:32 PM.

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Bastion

While I don't really agree to this much positivity towards Bastion (I, personally, find it rather 'meh'), this is a nicely written review. There's just one thing missing: There's not a single gameplay screenshot among the pictures.
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

Jakethe_Snake15's Avatar Ordinarius

Wow, thats a pretty good rating....

I will definitely check Bastion out at some point this summer/fall...or winter - depending on time constraints.

But nice review +rep!
    Quote Originally Posted by James Spader/Alan Shore "Boston Legal"
    I've always been convinced that friends should encourage friends to have their heads examined.

There's just one thing missing: There's not a single gameplay screenshot among the pictures.
    Egads, I totally forgot. Thank you for pointing that out.

While I don't really agree to this much positivity towards Bastion (I, personally, find it rather 'meh')
    As an Xbox gamer I tended to expect Arcade games to have little in terms of story/plot, and rather focus on some quirky gameplay aspect. This game made me change my expectations of Arcade games. Would I expect more from the game if it were a full AAA title? Yes. But then again I have paid $60 for much worse games.

God's Avatar Shnitzled In The Negev

I really really love this game.