Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: [RS 2.1a] "Demise of the Republic" Download/Information Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LEGIONARY_HAWK View Post
    REALLY BUT I THINK THAT THE SENATE SENT TO CEASER TO DISBAND HIS ARMY AT 50 BC AND HE AGREED IF POMPEY DID AS WELL BUT POMPEY REFUSED THATS WHY I THOUGHT I SHOULD GET ANY WARNING IN 50 BC ..................SO ANYWAY THANK U SO MUCH FOR ANSWERING ME AND I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORTS AND LOVE YOUR WORK
    If I recall correctly you will get the said warning in December 50BC.
    "What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
    Don't we make ya laugh? Aren't we freakin' funny?" - CPT Spaulding in Devil's Rejects

Pro-opera Jungian's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: [RS 2.1a] "Demise of the Republic" Download/Information Thread

Good news! I got it to finally work and the mod is amazing! But I was wondering, in my campaign, Lepidus drowned at sea three turns into the game. Will that be a problem for later on during the 2nd Triumvirate?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-opera Jungian View Post
    Good news! I got it to finally work and the mod is amazing! But I was wondering, in my campaign, Lepidus drowned at sea three turns into the game. Will that be a problem for later on during the 2nd Triumvirate?
    I'm happy to hear it is working for you. Lepidus' death will not create any negative effects for your campaign.
    Don't we make ya laugh? Aren't we freakin' funny?" - CPT Spaulding in Devil's Rejects

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Please, is this also compatible with BI? If not; why only Alexander?!
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

Quote Originally Posted by helmersen View Post
    Please, is this also compatible with BI? If not; why only Alexander?!
    I'm sorry it is only compatible with ALEX.EXE. The reason is because it uses features that only ALEX.EXE is capable of such as character specific models and portraits.

I'm playing through again after making several changes to the script and a custom save file as a starting point (with the historical legions in their "generally" proper places). I've just started March 49 BC.

Some ideas and observations...

* I really like how you used the audio clip of Caeser's speech to the 13th from HBO's Rome to set the stage before crossing the Rubicon. Continuing with that idea, in October 50 BC, it might help create a sense of tension and impending conflict if you did something similar, perhaps using an edited audio clip of the senate debate regarding Caeser from Episode 1 of Rome. It would set the stage for the next month, when you instruct the player that Caeser is ordered by the senate to disband.

* When the rebellion starts, move Pompeii's army to southern Italy just outside the reach of Caesar. Next turn then, move him to Epirus. Then the turn after that, move him to Pharsalus. That's not 100% historical, but its much closer to the true sequence of movements taken by Pompeii. It also goads the player into chasing Pompeii by moving south into Italy as Caeser did in history.

* When the civil war kicks off in December, spawn a double stack rebel field army in Hispania under command of Lucius Afranius and Marcus Petreius.

* Definately reduce the number of full stack armies in minor rebel cities. I did this in my personal version and the game play and speed of progress is much better now. It feels more historical too.

* Is there anyway to slow down population growth? Population is growing WAY too fast! Letting disease set in seems to be the only way to keep it in check.

* Some elite mercenaries would be nice too. (I know this is more an issue for Roma Surrectum overall than your mod, but just mentioning it.) Elephant mercenaries in North Africa and Sarmatian horse archers would be cool. It would at least give extra incentive to take and hold regions in Mesopotamia and Numidia.
    Last edited by Ren the Unclean; July 31, 2011 at 03:50 PM.

I'm thinking of buying Alexander to play this sub mod Would it be possible to play it if I buy it from Steam?
    Last edited by sbk1995; August 13, 2011 at 10:25 AM.

Okay, for the record, this is the BEST mod campaign I have ever played in a Total War game! With the new changes I made to the script (as noted in earlier post), this run is playing out almost exactly as it did in actual history, minus my last battle...

Winter 49/48 BC - While Caesar was deployed pacifying Pompeii's loyalists in Hispania with Legio IX, Mark Anthony's XI and Legio's VI, X, and VIII had already captured Illyria, the Dalmatian coast, western Macedonia, and Pella. Legio III Galica, recently levied from Gallic tribes loyal to Caesar, just arrived and set siege to Thebes. Spies in Macedonia were monitoring Pompeii's army as it moved between camps in Thessaloniki and Mesopotamia, near Pergamon. After Hispania is pacified, Caesar and Legio XIII speed march for three months across Gaul, northern Italy, and land in Macedonia by boat.

March 48 BC - After Anthony's Legio XI captured Pella, Pompeii moved to secure the bridge on the Axios River to defend Thessaloniki. Caesar's veteran XIII and his inexperienced reserve force moved north to flank Pompeii along with the remnants of Legio VI (which had taken heavy casualties while storming Pella.) They were met by an army of Pompeii, a flank guard, which they fought and won decisively. However, Caesar's XIIIth lost many of its veterans in this battle. Caesar's force was replenished with fresh recruits from the trailing reserve force (although his reserve was now fully depleted).

Caesar studied the situation. To the east, near Byzantium, were two more full Pompeii armies ready to reinforce Pompeii at Thessaloniki if needed. Pompeii's 3,700-man army was supported nearby with three other smaller armies composed of 600 to 1,300 troops. At the moment, Caesar had a slight strategic advantage. He positioned Legio VI to the south in a flanking position and attacked one of the armies closest to Pompeii while it was encamped at night. This forced Pompeii to abandon his defensive position along the bridge to reinforce the smaller force, putting Pompeii and Caesar on a collision course.

The battle was EPIC!!!!!

The Battle of Axios River

Caesar positioned the XIIIth on top of a hill to advantage itself against Pompeii's approaching force. Pompeii responded as predicted and turned north to face Caesar's army, leaving Pompeii's southern flank exposed for the VIth. However, for reasons unknown at the time, Legio VI didn't move. Caesar's troops could see the torches of the VIth burining in the distance, but help never came. The XIIIth's inexperienced reinforcement troops were no match for Pompeii's experienced and better armored force. The XIIIth faught bravely, holding the line as Pompeii's troops slowly ground down the rows of troops. Still, Legio VI stood still in position and watched from a distance as their brothers were slain. Caesar's cavalry tried slamming Pompeii's forces from the rear flank, but Pompeii's troops were too strong. Once the remaining troops had fallen to less than 400, Caesar ordered a retreat to the ridge behind Legio VI.

Pompeii's troops chased the retreating survivors of Legio XIII to the base of the hill, immediately in front of Legio VI. At this point, Legio VI came to life and advanced toward Pompeii's pursuing army.

Although the XIIIth was all but destroyed, they had placed a mighty toll on Pompeii's army. Pompeii's forces were less than half their original strength and exhausted from almost a full hour of fighting and chasing Caesar's forces.

What the VIth lacked in organization, they made up for in enthusiasm. Pompeii's forces tried to stand against the fresh units of the VIth. They held for a while before, one-by-one, units of Pompeii's hardened troops began routing. Meanwhile, Caesar and his surviving bodyguard cavalry had joined the VIth in attacking Pompeii's cohorts trapped downhill from the rear. Caesar was less than 100 meters away from Pompeii preparing for another charge when Pompeii and his horse were struck down by a hail of pila.

Shortly afterward, with no leadership in sight, the remaining forces of Pompeii's army crumbled and took flight.

In the end, almost 7,000 had lost their lives. The XIIIth was reduced to a handful of survivors. Pompeii's defense at Thessaloniki was crushed, leaving Eastern Macedonia open for Caesar's advance. And most of all, Consul Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus was now dead.

Caesar ordered all of his loyal legions to halt their advance and observe 30 days of mourning for his friend Pompeii and all other soldiers of Rome who lost their lives at the Axios River.
    Last edited by Ren the Unclean; August 13, 2011 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1995 View Post
    I'm thinking of buying Alexander to play this sub mod Would it be possible to play it if I buy it from Steam?
    I have not tried using steam with it, but I thought someone posted some time ago that they were using steam with it successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren the Unclean;

* When the rebellion starts, move Pompeii's army to southern Italy just outside the reach of Caesar. Next turn then, move him to Epirus. Then the turn after that, move him to Pharsalus. That's not 100% historical, but its much closer to the true sequence of movements taken by Pompeii. It also goads the player into chasing Pompeii by moving south into Italy as Caeser did
    I had originally wanted to move Pompey around as you mentioned here, but decided against it because I was concerned that the AI might garrison him in a fort or put him in a ship. If that happened it would result in a CTD when the script tried to reposition Pompey to Epirus. It is generally safer (less of a CTD risk) to kill a character and respawn him where you want him than to move him with script commands. However, because Pompey has a character specific model and portrait I couldn't kill him and respawn him where I wanted him without the new version of him being a generic model and portrait.

Quote Originally Posted by CPT Worsham View Post
    I had originally wanted to move Pompey around as you mentioned here, but decided against it because I was concerned that the AI might garrison him in a fort or put him in a ship. If that happened it would result in a CTD when the script tried to reposition Pompey to Epirus. It is generally safer (less of a CTD risk) to kill a character and respawn him where you want him than to move him with script commands. However, because Pompey has a character specific model and portrait I couldn't kill him and respawn him where I wanted him without the new version of him being a generic model and portrait.

I understand. All in all, its worked out rather well.

Pro-opera Jungian's Avatar Tiro

Curious, do you use any other Audio clips during the campaign, or just Caesar's Rubicon speech? Personally I loved it, it really added to the flavor of the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-opera Jungian View Post
    Curious, do you use any other Audio clips during the campaign, or just Caesar's Rubicon speech? Personally I loved it, it really added to the flavor of the mod.
    That is the only one.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=31.088419,-97.712539

I don't understand, what is this kind of off mod? Is it a normal mod as all other mods where you just play and expand in whichever direction you like or is it a mod where you are supposed to expand to certain territories and follow a historical path/timeframe? Sorry for the stupid question

Quote Originally Posted by DonRaphael View Post
    I don't understand, what is this kind of off mod? Is it a normal mod as all other mods where you just play and expand in whichever direction you like or is it a mod where you are supposed to expand to certain territories and follow a historical path/timeframe? Sorry for the stupid question

Your question is not stupid. In terms of expansion of borders this sub-mod was designed to allow exansion anywhere, but you will only be able to pacify the regions that Rome was able to pacify. There was a reason that Rome never settled any territories beyond the Danube and River Rhine.

Quote Originally Posted by CPT Worsham View Post
    Your question is not stupid. In terms of expansion of borders this sub-mod was designed to allow exansion anywhere, but you will only be able to pacify the regions that Rome was able to pacify. There was a reason that Rome never settled any territories beyond the Danube and River Rhine.
    I see, and what will happen if one tries to expand to those non-historically-Roman territories?

Thanks for the fast answer btw =)

Quote Originally Posted by DonRaphael View Post
    I see, and what will happen if one tries to expand to those non-historically-Roman territories?

Thanks for the fast answer btw =)
    You will face very stiff and never ending resistance. It is best just to raid and exterminate those territories.

I see. Thank you very much. I will try it out =)

your submod is perfect i just dowloaded it and started playing(+rep of course)
    i have a stupid question though are all my regions annexed or some are annexed and other client states?

Quote Originally Posted by Archontis View Post
    your submod is perfect i just dowloaded it and started playing(+rep of course)
    i have a stupid question though are all my regions annexed or some are annexed and other client states?
    Most of the regions are annexed. A few regions, if I remember correctly, are neither.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=31.140280,-97.778638