Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Visit Romania!

Trey's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Visit Romania!

I've spent about 6-7 weeks collectively in Western Europe, so I have a general idea of price ranges there.
    I've always wanted to make it over to Eastern Europe however, specifically some of the capitals such as Bucharest, Budapest etc.
    How much would a meal at a decent restaurant in Bucharest run for? Or a night in a decent two bedroom hotel? I'm just trying to gather a rough figure.
    Maybe you'll see me there one of these days.
    for-profit death machine.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Anyway here is my contribution. Photos of the Revolution Square (Piata Revolutiei) in the center of Bucharest. In the first picture in the extreme right you can even see the appartment building where I grew up im

The Central University Library

The National Art Museum (former Royal Palace)
    Last edited by Wallachian; May 26, 2011 at 06:19 AM.

Msp's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    Basileos, a quick note about the inscription on the house in Sighisoara. It is not the place of birth of Vlad the Impaler but of Vlad Dracul (his father).
    Vlad Dracul wasn't born here, he lived here while Wallachia was ruled by Alexandru Aldea (the turks' vassal). He stayed here until 1437 when he recovered the wallachian throne with German help.
    ........^
    Roman dupa tara.
    Roman dupa stramosi.
    Ardelean prin excelenta.
    VISIT ROMANIA!

Actually yes you are right, my bad. Got mixed up myself. Edited.

For those interested in ancient history

The ruins of Sarmisegetuza, the capital of the ancient Dacian kingdom

The ruins of the Roman settlement built at Sarmisegetuza Ulpia Traiana

The ruins of the Roman settlement of Porolissum near Zalau

Amphitheatre

The main seats of the amphitheatre

Remains of the temple of Jupiter

Praetorian Gate

Last edited by Wallachian; May 26, 2011 at 06:41 AM.

Getwulf's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    I've spent about 6-7 weeks collectively in Western Europe, so I have a general idea of price ranges there.
    I've always wanted to make it over to Eastern Europe however, specifically some of the capitals such as Bucharest, Budapest etc.
    How much would a meal at a decent restaurant in Bucharest run for? Or a night in a decent two bedroom hotel? I'm just trying to gather a rough figure.
    It all depends on where you want to stay... A good hotel in Bucharest is the InterContinental rooms start at 149.00 Euros a night and go up from there...

Here is a link you can check it out for yourself...

http://www.intercontinental.com/inte...view/bucharest

Generally for most hotels operating in tourist season you can expect to pay anywhere from 90-150 Euros a night... I've never seen anything cheaper than that.

If you want to stay for a relatively long time 2-3 weeks I would suggest renting an apartment as it would be cheaper. There are people out there who will rent out an apartment for short period of time but they don't advertise often.

Anybody else from Ro. know cheaper hotels...? InterContinental is a luxury hotel...

EDIT:

A list with most of the good hotels in Bucharest...

http://www.tourneo.ro/F_New/
    Last edited by Getwulf; May 26, 2011 at 12:06 PM.
    Sai rodida Guthans!

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Generally for most hotels operating in tourist season you can expect to pay anywhere from 90-150 Euros a night... I've never seen anything cheaper than that.

If you want to stay for a relatively long time 2-3 weeks I would suggest renting an apartment as it would be cheaper. There are people out there who will rent out an apartment for short period of time but they don't advertise often.

Anybody else from Ro. know cheaper hotels...? InterContinental is a luxury hotel...
    To add to what Getwulf said, there's a couple of good, cheap hotels in Bucharest if you wish to stay.
    There's the Accor group, mainly with Ibis and Novotel, and Ibis can be be around 70 euros per night with breakfast included, for a double room if I'm not mistaken. Furthermore there's the idea of small, boutique hotels which started to take shape and they're relatively cheaper than the norm.

If you want to go to the best hotels, there's a couple of them - InterContinental Bucharest, Crowne Plaza Bucharest, Radisson Blu Bucharest, JW Marriott (it's a JW) and Carol Parc Hotel.

Regarding the meals, if you eat out in town and stay away from the fancy restaurants, it varies from around 20 to 30 euros for a decent sized meal. If you're a gourmand then it's obviously more but not more than 5-10 euros for a double portion. In Bucharest, the best places to eat are restaurants with tradition and the ones that are in places such as Lipscani which is more of a cluster of restaurants, and due to the fact that the competition is very strong they provide good meals.

There's plenty of traditional restaurants but there's also Chinese, Turkish, Lebanese and especially Italian if you wish to eat something different every night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipscani
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Msp's Avatar Miles

do you have photos of Adamclisi?
    If we're speaking about ancient history, you could post some, I went there last year but I didn't take any photos.
    ........^
    Roman dupa tara.
    Roman dupa stramosi.
    Ardelean prin excelenta.
    VISIT ROMANIA!

Here is a photo of the Tropaem Traiani at Adamclisi

The monument was built 109AD to commemorate the victory of the Roman Emperor Trajan's victory over the Dacians. The monument features images of Roman legionares fighting various enemies. It is worth noting that the monument has been renovated in 1977.

For more information and also close ups of many of the friezes check out the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropaeum_Traiani

Ive lived in Romania for a year or so and here is what i think of it:

Romania: The land of street dogs, Basescu, Bock and corruption, unexistent pensions and grumpy people(especially waitresses and shopkeepers). The nature and some cultural places there are extremely beautiful espcially in Transilvania. I have to say that Bucharest is one of the worst places that i know of.

Some things that ive lately read in the news about politics involving Basescu and the government are totally ridiculous. I dont understand how can those people still be in power.

I like Romanian beer
    Last edited by Justaguy101; May 28, 2011 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguy101 View Post

Romania: The land of street dogs, Basescu, Bock and corruption, unexistent pensions and grumpy people(especially waitresses and shopkeepers). The nature and some cultural places there are extremely beautiful espcially in Transilvania. I have to say that Bucharest is one of the worst places that i know of.

Some things that ive lately read in the news about politics involving Basescu and the government are totally ridiculous. I dont understand how can those people still be in power.

I like Romanian beer
    Well, you can't please everyone...

I'm staying away from the politics and I'll just say that the issue with the street dogs has recently been debated and some action has been taken. In Bucharest, unless you're living in the suburbs and on the outskirts of the city, there's no street dog problem.

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

I went to Transylvania last month, so here's the places I saw:

Kolozsvár AKA Cluj-Napoca

Wooden Church

Sarmizegetusa, The ancient Dacian capital

Dracula's castle

Poiana Braşov

PLEASE RESPECT MY ETHNICITY AND RELIGION! -Hunyadi

Sighisoara has by far the coolest graveyard ive ever been to. Its shady and overgrown with ivy. The rest of the place is quite cool too.

Also, the contents of this can i liked a lot, for a hefty price of less that 0.5€

Msp's Avatar Miles

I like Romanian beer
    If you lived in Romania you probably know that some of us are disgusted of politics, we see politics everywhere so please don't bring the subject here.

P.S.It's Boc, not Bock.
    ........^
    Roman dupa tara.
    Roman dupa stramosi.
    Ardelean prin excelenta.
    VISIT ROMANIA!

Getwulf's Avatar Senator

I like Romanian beer
    You can blame Brigitte Bardot for the street dogs... We wanted to euthanize them all since the 90's but then she stepped in with the "Animal Rights" thing... Anyway at the time Romania wanted to get into the EU so we had to bend over and take it... Simple as that. Funny how a French actress dictated daily life politics in Romania.

To be fair... I don't mind the dogs that much they're kind of cute but they're a nuissance to civic life.

PS

Where are you originally from...?
    Sai rodida Guthans!

After one month, I want to express my thanks to those who visited the thread. We racked up over 2500+ views and I do hope that some of you will sooner or later visit Romania.

Thank you everyone.

I shall update this thread these days with more pictures, tons more to follow.

The excited one's Avatar Senator

is there any good shopping districts there? just asking since i love to shop
    war is peace, ignorance is strength, freedom is slavery......
    (george orwell 1984)

Krixux's Avatar Ordinarius

WOW !!!!

Brilliant !!!!!!
    Thank You !

D I V I D E - ET - I M P E R A

& A PROPER EMPIRE: TERRA INCOGNITA .... A P E - T I
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Perhaps, as some wit remarked, the best proof that there is Intelligent Life in Outer Space is the fact it hasn't come here. Well, it can't hide forever - one day we will overhear it."

Quote Originally Posted by The excited one View Post
    is there any good shopping districts there? just asking since i love to shop
    Yeap, there's a number of big shopping malls all around Bucharest (and in other big cities as well) so there's no shortage of shopping. Recently the luxury brands have started to enter the Romanian market (Gucci and Emporio Armani recently opened shops) so you'll be good.

WOW !!!!

Brilliant !!!!!!
    Thank You !
    I am glad you like it.

To celebrate a recent victory for Romania in football, I present you two videos about Gheorghe Hagi, the greatest Romanian player in history.

Couple of more pictures, as usual, taken from here - http://www.facebook.com/273.ro

Apuseni Mornings

Ostrov Lake

Parang Mountains