Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Visit Romania!

Menumorut's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Visit Romania!

Foarte frumose poze, beautifull

»MY GRAPHIC WORKSHOP« UNDER THE PARONAGE OF G☼D HIMSELF »MY ROMEII FAN ART«

On this day of Thanksgiving, I'm thankful there are still places of wonder and beauty in the world like Romania

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    On this day of Thanksgiving, I'm thankful there are still places of wonder and beauty in the world like Romania

Happy Thanksgiving to you too.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I was wondering - and I hope you don't take this personally - how safe is Romania for a foreign tourist? Especially rural Romania, because from what I'm seeing that would be my thing above anything else?

And how is transportation around there? And do a significant amount of people speak English reasonably?

Say I'm going there with 2 or 3 friends, how is it? I am assuming alone is a no-no.

There's a blog from someone who went posted earlier in this topic, I think he's a US citizen, and he had nothing but good things to say.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

No, please feel free to ask any questions, offensive or not. As you can see from the pictures, rural Romania and generally the provinces are the must-see places. I dare say that the rural areas are safer than the urban places. Generally, people in rural areas are thought to be nicer, more helpful and more pleasant. People from the big cities, especially Bucharest are probably the most difficult to deal with.

In the cities and urban areas transportation is great. But when it comes to the rural areas it's a bit more difficult. Tourist attractions have pretty good transport links though. There is trains linking all major areas but then you would have to take buses to specific locations.

Again, when it comes to English speakers in the city I would say that pretty much everyone speaks it. You will find it more difficult in the provinces but not impossible.

Indeed, I would advise going in a group. Simply because going by yourself can be more dangerous anywhere.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Found a nice video showing the beautiful nature

And one with pictures of natre

Last edited by Wallachian; November 25, 2012 at 03:47 AM.

How fertile is the soil, can you grow just about anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel Relvas View Post
    I was wondering - and I hope you don't take this personally - how safe is Romania for a foreign tourist? Especially rural Romania, because from what I'm seeing that would be my thing above anything else?

And how is transportation around there? And do a significant amount of people speak English reasonably?

Say I'm going there with 2 or 3 friends, how is it? I am assuming alone is a no-no.
    You'll be suprised - Bucharest happens to be one of the safest capitals in the European Union.

I speak as a local here but as long as you do not go to the outskirts of Bucharest, you will be fine. Most young people, and even older ones, speak English reasonably so there shouldn't be any problems.

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

How fertile is the soil, can you grow just about anything?
    During the 1920's, Romania was one of the largest exporters of grain to Europe. The entire Baragan area is extremely fertile and lately foreign investment is starting to become very common, as foreigners buy up huge tracts of land to grow crops.

Very nice! Well if I win the Mega Millions this Wednesday I will definitely be buying land in Romania

In fact I'll probably be buying land all over lol..

the average value per acre of Iowa farmland was $6,708, according to the 2011 Farmland Value Survey by Iowa State University.
    Farming is in my blood.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel Relvas View Post

Pretty much as safe as you'd expect any other country to be. The major cities are very safe compared to cities from other European countries, the most common crimes here being thefts and scams.
    Alone is not necessarily a no-no, but in that case you should stick to the beaten path.

The rural areas then to be safe-ish but drinking is very common, so you should expect the exact same dangers you usually expect from a bunch of drunken people. Gypsy villages are not so safe though, some are friendly, some are not.
    In the cities it is hard not to find someone who does not know English, in the rural areas English is not so common, but you'll still be alright. If you also know some Spanish or Italian you will have no problems.

Transportation is mostly by train, higher classed trains are safer and better than the cheaper ones. Inside major cities transportation is done by bus and tram (metro in Bucharest). The Bucharest metro is one of the safest in the world. Trams and buses are cheap, mostly reliable, but they are prone to pickpocketing so be careful.
    Cabs are decent but they tend to over-charge foreigners, especially Bucharest cabbies who are notorious for taking tourists (even romanian tourists) on the longest route possible and charging up to 2 times the fare.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; November 28, 2012 at 05:44 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Agreed with what Sir Adrian wrote above.

And a warm Happy Birthday to all of the Romanians! 1st of December is our National Day and as such I want to extend a warm Happy Birthday to my fellow Romanians!

National day?

Yeap. Great Union Day, comemorating the 1st of December 1918 when all of the Romanian principalities were united under the banner of the Kingdom of Romania.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Union_Day

Not necessarily related to visiting Romania, but a very good short film that has been given the prize of the best European Short Film in 2012.

I heartily recommend you to watch it.

Any national day events?

Any national day events?
    On the 1st of December there's a National Day Parade in all of the major cities in Romania. The most elaborate is in Bucharest. Here's a film from last year.

So in 1877 Romania declared independence from the Ottoman Empire, but it was divided?

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    On the 1st of December there's a National Day Parade in all of the major cities in Romania. The most elaborate is in Bucharest. Here's a film from last year.

We don't have military parades in norway, only kids who parade.

The first word that came to mind when watching this, was "military catwalk" Nice vid, guys, I want to go to Romania during my summer tour across Europe.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.