Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Impressions From The Battlefield

Default Re: Impressions From The Battlefield

Thanks for the advice caratacus!
    I liked those pics as well oneday, especially the scene with that dense forest in the background.

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by benczeb90 View Post
    Thanks for the advice caratacus!
    I liked those pics as well oneday, especially the scene with that dense forest in the background.
    Shortly I will be uploading pictures too, I have been a little busy lately twinning Vandalorum. I made some changes to my copy of Britanniae too, added all Comitatensis and Auxilla Palatina units to be recruited from gaul, ie I have four units legions each of Comitatensis and Auxillia at my disposal. Plus I added two more characters, Flavius Agrippinus and Tonantius_Ferreolus. I also added the Battle of the Catalunian Plains in the script. When the last patch is out, I will make a mini mod for Roman Players only { of course with Rio permission to be uploaded}, as the scipted Hunnic armies tend to devastate Gaul if the human player in not Noviodunum.

Cheers.

Great news Reno, i think your submod would convert this already challenging great mod to a higher level of difficulty. I wonder how long could i survive haha

The Frankish axe throwers of any type are really chewing up my Roman legions

great mod btw

Quote Originally Posted by bohema View Post
    The Frankish axe throwers of any type are really chewing up my Roman legions

great mod btw
    I advice you my fellow Roman General to deploy cheap light infantry in front of the legions, like the Germanic Auxillia, to absorb the majority of the axes, then throw your javelins and charge.

Cheers

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=124624909
    my favorite legion so far

Ill def start using that Tactic

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Reno Melitensis View Post
    I advice you my fellow Roman General to deploy cheap light infantry in front of the legions, like the Germanic Auxillia, to absorb the majority of the axes, then throw your javelins and charge.

Cheers
    Reno has the right of it, this is a must when playing Late Romans in any mod. You don't have that many areas where you can recruit (and retrain) your best troops, so why waste them on the front line of an assault or defence? That's what the Foederatii are for my good friends!

Send in the germanics before your own troops and then finish off with your Romans. This is doubly useful when assaulting a city because usually the first men over the wall or through the gate die REALLY fast, no matter who they are.

Also some of the German troops you can recruit or hire often have bonuses to their charge, or they scare the enemy, but even if they don't they are useful enough to just wear the enemy down and cut their numbers before the real fight begins.

So by using the Germans as human shields you aren't "wasting" the troops you actually care about

ADDENDUM: Suicidal flank charges with germanic cavalry works wonders also
    Last edited by Merula; February 06, 2013 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLIP99 View Post
    Reno has the right of it, this is a must when playing Late Romans in any mod. You don't have that many areas where you can recruit (and retrain) your best troops, so why waste them on the front line of an assault or defence? That's what the Foederatii are for my good friends!

Send in the germanics before your own troops and then finish off with your Romans. This is doubly useful when assaulting a city because usually the first men over the wall or through the gate die REALLY fast, no matter who they are.

Also some of the German troops you can recruit or hire often have bonuses to their charge, or they scare the enemy, but even if they don't they are useful enough to just wear the enemy down and cut their numbers before the real fight begins.

So by using the Germans as human shields you aren't "wasting" the troops you actually care about

ADDENDUM: Suicidal flank charges with germanic cavalry works wonders also
    Nice to see you posting again BLIP99 and Brilliant! It is exactly how we want this mod to roll in regards to the Romans, but I'm wondering if players are using the Roman cavalry Too? Having the enemy infantry contained by your own infantry sets up some possible advantages cavalry tactics. I strengthened cavalry across the board in the latest patch to (hopefully)ensure their usefulness

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    Nice to see you posting again BLIP99 and Brilliant! It is exactly how we want this mod to roll in regards to the Romans, but I'm wondering if players are using the Roman cavalry Too? Having the enemy infantry contained by your own infantry sets up some possible advantages cavalry tactics. I strengthened cavalry across the board in the latest patch to (hopefully)ensure their usefulness
    No you are right, I of course use Roman Cavalry, they are the elite of all elites in my armies. I just don't like seeing them die

Usually my "legions" (if you can still call them that at this stage in history, i can't remember) are consisted thusly:

1-2 General's (normally one, but sometimes have a younger general as i kind of RP "second in command")
    9 Roman Heavy Infantry (doesn't really matter which ones, usually the same unit though)
    3 Archer units (Roman or Germanic depending on whether or not it is a Comite legion or an Auxillia one)
    4 Foederati units (spread them thin in front of the army to take the charge, usually have more men than a usual Roman unit anyway. i.e. Romans = 80 men per unit, Germans = 120 mpu)
    2 Roman Heavy Cavalry (Usually "Promoti" or any better unit like Cataphracts when i can afford it )
    *1 Germanic Cavalry/Roman Horse Archers (if i don't have 2 Generals)

EDIT: Pretty sure i stole this line up from somewhere else though, I think originally it was SBH who gave this grouping?

rhalina's Avatar Ordinarius

For myself, i use each time heavy roman cavalry.
    Foederatii are just good to stay at home, paying taxes ( :p ) when true soldiers are defending the homeland. A spacial thanks to the heavy archers: against nude barbarians, they have time to drink coffe before charging.

More seriously, i don't like to take foederatii, just if i havent anyother unit of course. I prefer them as guarnisons, better than liminatei units.

Merovingian-period archeology database: http://241-752.forumgratuit.fr/
    Association Française d'Archéologie Mérovingienne

Thanks BLIP99 for the ideas, it's so simple to waste foederati first, but i haven't thought about it yet. I used them as reserves and skirmishers. Your concept saves money, i'll try to use it when the so awaited patch arrives and i start a new game.

Thanks BLIP99 for the ideas, it's so simple to waste foederati first, but i haven't thought about it yet. I used them as reserves and skirmishers. Your concept saves money, i'll try to use it when the so awaited patch arrives and i start a new game.
    Not to mention saving good loyal Roman lives! haha But yes it does save a lot of money in the end, just make sure you get the balance right though, if you have too many foederati, then you run the risk of being swamped by the franks because your poorly trained Germans can't hold back the invasions, that's why you need the Roman troops
    Last edited by Merula; February 08, 2013 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLIP99 View Post
    Not to mention saving good loyal Roman lives!
    Oh yes. But on the contrary, look at the Vandalorum mod. The only option you have, to be able to restore your economy is to disband ALL of the elite roman troops. (Vader: "NOOOOO") That's a very grave decision to make. You have to defend yourself with ONLY foederati and Miles/Limitanei in the first many turns (I haven't played more)
    I think it would be good to be able to use this kind of strategy you mentioned in the Vandalorum mod (from the first turn, without going insanely bankrupt), just as it works wonders in this Britanniae mod. I hope Rio reads this
    Players, who admire elite roman troops, like us, want to use them, not to disband all of them
    sorry for the off!

Oh yes. But on the contrary, look at the Vandalorum mod. The only option you have, to be able to restore your economy is to disband ALL of the elite roman troops. (Vader: "NOOOOO") That's a very grave decision to make. You have to defend yourself with ONLY foederati and Miles/Limitanei in the first many turns (I haven't played more)
    I think it would be good to be able to use this kind of strategy you mentioned in the Vandalorum mod (from the first turn, without going insanely bankrupt), just as it works wonders in this Britanniae mod. I hope Rio reads this
    Players, who admire elite roman troops, like us, want to use them, not to disband all of them
    sorry for the off!
    Te idea in that mod is to restructure your military and economy with the idea of eventually building back those lovely Roman elites. Example-Aetius used prob 75% foederati vs the Huns. Only a military revered genius could pull something like that off never mind win the battle. Because the WRE did not change from this then you historically prolonged a eventual total collapse and what is left of the WRE is ruled by Odoacer leader of the Foederati
    Last edited by Riothamus; February 08, 2013 at 01:48 PM.

rhalina's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    Te idea in that mod is to restructure your military and economy with the idea of eventually building back those lovely Roman elites. Example-Aetius used prob 75% foederati vs the Huns. Only a military revered genius could pull something like that off never mind win the battle. Because the WRE did not change from this then you historically prolonged a eventual total collapse and what is left of the WRE is ruled by Odoacer leader of the Foederati

That's how I (and several historians +/- archeoligist) see the Vth in the west

Merovingian-period archeology database: http://241-752.forumgratuit.fr/
    Association Française d'Archéologie Mérovingienne

sorry for the off!
    Wright now I am playing the two mods simultaneously from 449 AD. I found Britanniae much more relaxing to play. Apart from the Franks, that are my allies, all Germanic factions are far away. This gave me the opportunity to build my economy. I did dispand some units, had to evacuate Riomagus and Gesoriacum? and then capturing them a little later. I am generating circa 15000 which is not bad. I made some changes to the original mod, and scripted the Battle of Chalons again. So I am waiting for the Battle, defeat the Huns, and hopefully had some troops in reserve to capture the western cities before Lydaw do.

In Vandalorum any troops disbandment must be done carefully, there are no space for errors. The Vandals will attack what you have of Africa, and the Huns will invade from the Danube. In a few turns the Visighots and Burgundians will attack you too. So there is no respite only war. It took me almost 10 years of fighting to defeat the Huns (for now), reduce the Burgundians to only to small towns, and keep the vandals and Visighots under control. So far I havent defeated the Vandals, I have Cartagho, Hippo, Thevaste, Constantine, Lepcis an other cities, but they are at war with the Mauri who happen to be my allies. In typical Roman fashion I am paying them tribute to wage war against the Vandals. The only nation I am at peace with are the Suebi, and I am paying tribute to them too, and I have took away much of Iberia up to Zaragoza from the Vishgots, but they still hold the northen parts, plus three settlement in Gaul, a city and two towns. I stick to the rules, I do not recruit more than 4 units per legion, do defeat the Huns I had to use units of Milites, Auxilla and Illyricani.

The worst is still to came, there is going to be an other Hunnic invasion, plus the rise of the Ostroghots, and for more entertainment I scripted an other faction to appear together with the Ostroghots, the Rugians.

Cheers.

Whoah, now i don't think i'm prepared for Vandalorum yet It would seem that moderately skilled (average) players like me, need a long guide for the mod to be able to play. :| Reading a forum and asking tons of questions just to be able to play is quite disappointing, you know. I think i don't have enough patience. Yes. But it's okay. Though i'm looking forward to be able to try the two mods again, when they got patched
    Last edited by benczeb90; February 09, 2013 at 10:12 AM.

midnite's Avatar Citizen

I made some changes to the original mod, and scripted the Battle of Chalons again. So I am waiting for the Battle, defeat the Huns, and hopefully had some troops in reserve to capture the western cities before Lydaw do.

Cheers.

Reno, Is the Battle of Chalons removed from the current script? I have currently not played as the romans.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

Quote Originally Posted by midnite View Post
    Reno, Is the Battle of Chalons removed from the current script? I have currently not played as the romans.
    Yes it is, Rio told me so. The reason was that if the human player was not playing as the Romans, the scripted armies where almost impossible to defeat by the AI. I tried it myself, the scipted armies took Aurelianum and remaned there. Every attempt by the AI Noviodunum to defeat them ended in disaster. So any mini mod with the battle scripted should be only for those players who wished to play as the Roman Faction. Also removed was the donation from Ravenna.

Cheers

Yes it is, Rio told me so. The reason was that if the human player was not playing as the Romans, the scripted armies where almost impossible to defeat by the AI. I tried it myself, the scipted armies took Aurelianum and remaned there. Every attempt by the AI Noviodunum to defeat them ended in disaster. So any mini mod with the battle scripted should be only for those players who wished to play as the Roman Faction. Also removed was the donation from Ravenna.

Cheers
    Another weird aspect was the duplicate character. When Aetius was moved to the battle it created a duplicate character of him-an old bug that goes back to RTW. Duplicate characters will eventually cause a fatal ctd. There are ways getting around that but I began to find the mod becoming too artificial by forcing too many variables around the event to allow it to take place. Having it in a submod as Reno pointed may be the best way to go w/it
    Last edited by Riothamus; February 09, 2013 at 07:54 PM.