Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Impressions From The Battlefield

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Impressions From The Battlefield

Having administered a number of defeats against the Saxons my great army marched north and encountered a large army led by the Anglian King. My Romano-Britons took up position on a wooded ridge and awaited the advance of the Angles. The battle was extremely fierce and the army lost many men but managed to hold the rise but it was very close indeed. However with much of my army destroyed now, there is a very great vulnerability to a counter attack by these new germanic opponents, which I guess is the problem when trying to fight a campaign with only one army. Still this problem was probably not unusual for the Romano British, given the diminished level of organisation and tax raising ability, when compared to the years of empire so its realistic and I will need to utilise levy troops a lot more than I would want.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by caratacus; May 03, 2011 at 04:57 AM.

Ixor_Drakar's Avatar Senator

Great screens. I love how gritty the battle look in this mod.
    I survived the Mayan Apocalypse 12/21/12

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by caratacus View Post
    Having administered a number of defeats against the Saxons my great army marched north and encountered a large army led by the Anglian King. My Romano-Britons took up position on a wooded ridge and awaited the advance of the Angles. The battle was extremely fierce and the army lost many men but managed to hold the rise but it was very close indeed. However with much of my army destroyed now, there is a very great vulnerability to a counter attack by these new germanic opponents, which I guess is the problem when trying to fight a campaign with only one army. Still this problem was probably not unusual for the Romano British, given the diminished level of organisation and tax raising ability, when compared to the years of empire so its realistic and I will need to utilise levy troops a lot more than I would want.

GREAT pics. The battle looked very fierce.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Awesome screens everyone.
    I hope to join you all here regularly as soon as ive got some more free time to spare.(thanks to Legio )
    Last edited by MorganH.; May 03, 2011 at 09:03 AM.

Looking forward to seeing your great battle pics Morgan H

This is a decisive cavalry charge upon an Anglian position;

midnite's Avatar Citizen

This is a decisive cavalry charge upon an Anglian position;

Your pics have a hand-drawn look. Very nice!
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Thanks a lot Caracatus.
    I finally Got It,the Mod,and its really really fantastic,love it to death allready !
    Thanks again team from me!

First impressions;Powys GC: first battle v the Anglii

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Getting a new laptop soon and will DL this. I'll tell you how my Soissons campaign goes!!!

Good pics everyone. OP had some of the best and I liked Legio's too.

Quote Originally Posted by midnite View Post
    Your pics have a hand-drawn look. Very nice!
    Just gave a bit of editing to improve clarity, the native resolution of MTW2 also seems a fair bit lower than RTW to me and the demo of Empire had a soft focus on my machine which I didn't like at all. I must say again a big thankyou to you Midnite and the rest of the team for producing a a mod which is so far very enjoyable to play and it's amazing that it is still only a Beta version. Today I fought a fantastic battle and show the battle shots below. They have also been improved slightly in case anyone thinks that their computer is under performing but I enjoyed the battle so much I felt that I wanted to show them to best effect.

After the great army of my Romano Britons had been finally beaten by the Angli, I quickly built up another and although not quite up to full strength, I marched it north into Anglia to meet the foe. Within the first turn it was met by an even bigger army of Anglians close to the border and I assumed a defensive position on a ridge. Wave after wave of Angli came at my army swinging their great axes (love the new animations) to try and carve gaps in the shield walls. But despite their best efforts, once again my warriors held their ground. This battle seemed to go on forever until eventually the resolve of the enemy broke and they fled the field, leaving a substantial pile of fallen along my battle lines. Wonderful stuff, fantastic battle an absolute classic.

midnite's Avatar Citizen

GREAT battle pics!

What settings are you playing on?

Quote Originally Posted by midnite View Post
    GREAT battle pics! What settings are you playing on?
    Well I have it set on high settings for nearly everything except grass. I do have a large high resolution screen though and I would advise anyone thinking about buying expensive graphics cards to first get a bigger and better quality screen, as it may not be necessary in order to achieve a better visual experience. Screens have gone down a lot in price recently and video cards technology has marched far ahead of the number of games that can handle it. Certainly for games as old as Medieval 2 and RTW2, it certainly isn't necessary, so save your pocket money.

Gosh! that battle was so memorable yesterday, I only played about 3 turns. Here are few more shots. Can't wait until tonight when my Romano Britons engage the Anglians again

What resolution you have then Caratacus,yre screens,with the colors and the lighting,are amazing.

Brace for impact;Anglii charge against Powys

Quote Originally Posted by MorganH. View Post
    What resolution you have then Caratacus,yre screens,with the colors and the lighting,are amazing.

Brace for impact;Anglii charge against Powys

An Acer 24" LCD TFT Monitor, 2ms Response Time, 50,000:1 Contrast Ratio, running at 1920 x 1440 with a 32 bit colour setting, 75 Hz refresh rate and tweaked using ATI Tray tools program. But as I said I did give the sky in these picture a little more darkness and sharpened the images just a touch.but didn't change them that much.I copied the image "Brace for Impact" and did the same thing to yours and there was hardly a difference. I'd recommend also Ray Adams ATI Tray Tools for ATI graphics cards. as it's an excellent little free tweaking program for getting just the type of picture you want in a game in terms of contrast, colour etc. Also remember to adjust the battle map resolution in the game accordingly.
    Last edited by caratacus; May 05, 2011 at 11:00 AM.

An Acer 24" LCD TFT Monitor, 2ms Response Time, 50,000:1 Contrast Ratio, running at 1920 x 1440 with a 32 bit colour setting, 75 Hz refresh rate and tweaked using ATI Tray tools program. But as I said I did give the sky in these picture a little more darkness and sharpened the images just a touch.but didn't change them that much.I copied the image "Brace for Impact" and did the same thing to yours and there was hardly a difference. I'd recommend also Ray Adams ATI Tray Tools for ATI graphics cards. as it's an excellent little free tweaking program for getting just the type of picture you want in a game in terms of contrast, colour etc. Also remember to adjust the battle map resolution in the game accordingly.
    Thanks mate,will give it a try,+rep

first on the scene.....

Midnite,

Best way to capture a battle image is as follows.

Turn off Bloom from graphic options.
    Select the monitor highest resolution.
    Run the rest of the graphics options at there highest settings, dependent on your PC performance.

Then capture your screenshot in .TGA format. This retains more clarity.

To take .TGA image just hit Prnt Screen button.

.TGA images are located in the .TGA folder in the default MTW2 directory.

The native .TGA image file size is 1024x768 but can be altered through the IB2 Conquestus config file to any resolution. Options under video setting.

Finally run your image through a graphic filter that decomposes colour(HSV). This will enable individual layer colour enhancement and sharpening. A superb free package being Gimp.

You may wish to use the graphic programs artistic filters as well.

Impression from the Battlefield...

The raven feeders......

Having crushed the Anglians and liberated the eastern provinces from those pesky germanic invaders, I was left with facing the rebel stronghold of Camboricum to finally consolidate the Romano British hold on the eastern territories. This settlement was occupied by a garrison of well equipped christian Romano-Britons, who had rejected governance owing to the toleration of pagan elements amongst my new germanic subjects. After a short siege their army sallied out to meet my forces to be met by a hail of arrows from my archers and retreated swiftly back inside the fortifications after sustaining many casualties. The city was taken shortly afterwards and another step towards greatness was made. In the words of that great Anglian, Queen Delia Smith, "Arfa... where are ya!!! lets be aven ya!!

Last edited by caratacus; May 12, 2011 at 01:49 PM.

Very nice Caratacus, +rep

My different Campaigns screens;

Death of a Picti King....

Gododdin charges the Picts...

Battlefield...

The Conquerors sweep the lands......

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Haha i like what you did with the sun in that last one Morgan +rep

Ixor_Drakar's Avatar Senator