View Poll Results: Which faction should fill the final available slot in THS choose wisely

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Syracuse

16 36.36%
  • Cyrene

3 6.82%
  • Boii

5 11.36%
  • Ligurians

3 6.82%
  • Bosphoran Kingdom

9 20.45%
  • Etruscans

4 9.09%
  • Celtiberians

0 0%
  • Judea (technically rebels but we could fudge it a little)

4 9.09%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A New Faction, Continued

Cesarz's Avatar Miles

Default Re: A New Faction, Continued

Quote Originally Posted by alexander the average View Post
    etruscans would be cool, but it can't be put on the agenda unless there is an absolutely spectacular argument for it.

and... i don't see you or anyone else making any arguments at all for them.
    I'm working on it. Don't worry, my argument will blow you all away.
    "Never trust a quote you find on the internet" - Niccolò Machiavelli

L0N3W07F's Avatar Libertus

I like the faction selection that you have already for the way that it fits the concept of the mod. I voted Syracuse, because I like the idea of complicating the politics in the Greek world to match the historical reality, and I could go for a proposition that the Etruscans are needed to hold the Romans down or that barbarian politics ought to be further enhanced by the addition of a new faction such as the Celtiberians, the Boii, the Lusitanii, the Getae, or the Belgae. Honestly, though, I would say adding factions will probably have very little positive effect on the game unless the decision is made to abandon the concept of maintaining the "vanilla feel" of the game and making a larger, more detailed map, because otherwise, the new factions could throw off the political balance if they are even slightly either too weak or too strong. I think that the faction list as it is fits the present concept of the game very well.

Cesarz's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by L0N3W07F View Post
    I like the faction selection that you have already for the way that it fits the concept of the mod. I voted Syracuse, because I like the idea of complicating the politics in the Greek world to match the historical reality, and I could go for a proposition that the Etruscans are needed to hold the Romans down or that barbarian politics ought to be further enhanced by the addition of a new faction such as the Celtiberians, the Boii, the Lusitanii, the Getae, or the Belgae. Honestly, though, I would say adding factions will probably have very little positive effect on the game unless the decision is made to abandon the concept of maintaining the "vanilla feel" of the game and making a larger, more detailed map, because otherwise, the new factions could throw off the political balance if they are even slightly either too weak or too strong. I think that the faction list as it is fits the present concept of the game very well.
    The Antigonids didn't really throw anything off, kind of. Neither did Massalia.
    "Never trust a quote you find on the internet" - Niccolò Machiavelli

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

The Antigonids didn't really throw anything off, kind of.
    They had quite the influence on the wars of the Diadiochi, though. Then they disappeared for a while until Antigonos Gonatas came around and took Macedonia.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

The People's Front of Judea. No, not the Judean People's front or the Front of Judean People, those are splitters.

Sabazios's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze View Post
    They had quite the influence on the wars of the Diadiochi, though. Then they disappeared for a while until Antigonos Gonatas came around and took Macedonia.
    he meant ingame faction balance

Quote Originally Posted by Cocroach the great View Post
    The People's Front of Judea. No, not the Judean People's front or the Front of Judean People, those are splitters.
    Splitters!

So, do we have any idea which faction will be picked yet?

Once all the devs sign off on the dev forum, we will.
    . .

L0N3W07F's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Cesarz View Post
    The Antigonids didn't really throw anything off, kind of. Neither did Massalia.
    I think you have misunderstood me; I meant that the balance as it is--including the Antigonids--seems very good to me. Yes, the Antigonids are powerful, but that is accurate and it works well in gameplay since they are properly countered by four Macedonian rivals (the Antipatrids, the Ptolemaics, the Seleucids, and the Lysimachids), not to mention the possibility that the Hellenistic League, the Pontics, and the Armenians have ample opportunity to gang up on them too. In fact, the situation portrayed by the game's opening scene is a tribute to the hard work and incredible success of Antigonos and his faction over the preceding 20 years (not to mention the THS developers for getting it right ) because in Greco-Macedonian politics at that time, the hegemon was generally challenged by most of the other powers in the system simultaneously at frequent intervals. I would love to discuss this further, but to be brief, I will simply refer to the examples of imperial Athens (mid to late 400's), Sparta (early 300's), Thebes (mid-300's), Macedonia under Philippos II (ca. 338), Macedonia under Alexandros III (ca. 334), the Diadoch faction of Perdikkas (ca. 323), and the Diadoch faction of Polysperchon (ca. 320). It just wouldn't be The Hellenistic States without some hegemon stuck in the middle struggling for survival!

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

I voted for Syracuse. I wrote my arguments on it in another thread like this in the subforums. Here's the link: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=447722&page=3
    Last edited by Petroniu; June 15, 2011 at 03:02 PM.
    RTWRM - back to basics

Indefinitely Banned

rise of Creyne

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

Please guys, stop posting in these thread...if you want to post, post in "A new faction, v.2.0", the newest thread, and please stay on topic

ask em to close it.
    . .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234