Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: [Faction research topic]: The Great Moravia,Serbia, Anciliaries and titles.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: [Open research topic] Trait,Ranks,Anciliaries lists.

Quote Originally Posted by nemr View Post
    AnthoniusII

please wait for me these days , because I collect some books discuss ranks and titles that used in islamic kingdoms

thanks for your invitation in arabic language thread to support your promising mod
    But afcourse. Any time you wish.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Majkl's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by diez View Post
    Otroki (literally, boys/lads)
    U sure about that? In Slovak language "otrok/otroci" means "slave/slaves". Dunno about military ranks thou.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

In Russian it's also something like "slaves", I think, but I'm also certain the word has the meaning of "boy/son". Perhaps it's a case of double meanings - sons in some cases and slaves in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Majkl View Post
    U sure about that? In Slovak language "otrok/otroci" means "slave/slaves". Dunno about military ranks thou.
    if you read the whole text, then you will notice what i emphasised in bold:
    Quote Originally Posted by diez View Post

Otroki (literally, boys/lads)

• Junior members of the druzhina in ancient Rus, primarily court servitors of the prince, in contrast to detskie who were military members of the druzhina. In the otroki were also unfree people, slaves (kholopy). In duties otroki included service at the table of the prince, cleaning things and fulfilling various of his orders. In the council of the prince, otroki did not participate, except for military advice (see also detskie above). [Petrov] Dal’ – tsarist or princely servitors, pages, also servants or slaves generally
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Majkl's Avatar Miles

ah ,yes ,sorry about that

gogo t's Avatar BULGARIAN

strange in Bulgaria \or at least in my region\ otrok\otroche is used for a son
    MORAL

gogo t's Avatar BULGARIAN

Hranenici (Храненици/Хранени хора) (english ?: People to eat with, eating people? Hranenik is from Hrana = food) were [Nobel] called the closest people to the tzar in Bulgaria. They were eating with him, so they had his full trust and had huge respect and influence in the empire
    Last edited by gogo t; September 20, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
    MORAL

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

In modern Bulgarian, yes (btw, can that be translated as the Greek "trapezitae"? "Trapeza" being Greek for "table" and in Bulgarian meaning "table with/for food"). But, interestingly enough, I found that the old-Bulgarian word for "bodyguard" is "hranitel" (which today is expanded to "telohranitel" in modern Bulgarian, the addition of "telo-" meaning "body-").

The 1st use of the term Trapezitae was a direct greek version of the latin vucelarii. The meaning is realy "those who shear the bread/table/food with the lord" but it ment the lord's most trusted warriors aka his bodyguards.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Interesting, "those who share the bread/table/food with the lord" and "the lord's most trusted warriors" is also what I've usually translated (from the Bulgar memorial inscriptions) as "my fed man", i.e. "hranenik/hranenitsi" on modern Bulgarian. I guess the meaning of "hranenik/hranitel" has developed much the same way (or influenced by) as the Byzantine meaning of the Greek "trapezitae" then (unlike the Slavic "druzhina", which, while being a very similar thing, is derived from "companionship, friendship").

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBG View Post
    Interesting, "those who share the bread/table/food with the lord" and "the lord's most trusted warriors" is also what I've usually translated (from the Bulgar memorial inscriptions) as "my fed man", i.e. "hranenik/hranenitsi" on modern Bulgarian. I guess the meaning of "hranenik/hranitel" has developed much the same way (or influenced by) as the Byzantine meaning of the Greek "trapezitae" then (unlike the Slavic "druzhina", which, while being a very similar thing, is derived from "companionship, friendship").
    Names and titles are offten very complicated.
    In Alexander's and Hellenistic era "companions" used the name "hetaeroi"
    that also means "those who shear" the greek words "εταιρεια" (company) and "συνεταιρισμος" (cooperation) comes from that word.
    But in medieval era the trust of the lord was expressed by the word "Ανθρωποι"(anthropoi/people) that ment the men closest to the emperor.
    Examples: Vasilikoi Anthropoi or Anthropoi tou Vasileos.

matija191's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [Faction research topic]: The Great Moravia

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1. Daggers, 9th C.
    2. Axe, 8/9th C.
    3. Axe, 8th C.
    4. Spear 8th C. (?)
    5. Sword, 8th C.
    6. Arrowheads, 7/8th C.

Banners:

http://www.jpeg.cz/view-756_sokolnik1_v.jpg.html

Special unit propositions:

Axemen (same as Croats)
    Longbowmen

EDIT:

More weapons:

http://www.palba.cz/forumfoto/displa...php?pos=-11924
    http://www.palba.cz/forumfoto/displa...php?pos=-11927
    http://www.palba.cz/forumfoto/displa...php?pos=-11926
    Last edited by matija191; September 30, 2011 at 04:50 AM.
    COMPANY OF HEROES - BALKANS IN FLAMES

Mi? Satrli smo grobu vrata,
    Da,još nas ima - još Hrvata!

Exelent +rep!

NP - I am glad that I can help

Bagatyr's Avatar Campidoctor

Matija rep + .Great finding !This is one of my favorite factions after Bulgaria,Magyare and Byzantine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagatyr View Post
    Matija rep + .Great finding !This is one of my favorite factions after Bulgaria,Magyare and Byzantine.
    Agreed .OFC, for me, it is right behind Croatia

So...another conflict emerged.
    Around the Pecheneg occupied lands ,Great Moravia, Bulgaria ,Magyars and Kiev Rus fight for domination.
    Great Moravia strugles to survive from Magyar and Pecheneg invasions, keep its lands out of Bulgarian interests and prepair to defend its self against HRE...Interesting..
    Pechenegs push Mgayars deeper to slavic terittories that reach bulgarian and later Serbian and Croatian lands but they keep an eye on the Rus power growing and the kolapse of the mighty Khazars that now give what seamen Rus do not have (heavy cavalry).

Rus free of their former lords (Khazars) now have the chance to reach the shores of Blach Sea focusing on the last Roman colonies in Cherson.
    Watching closely Pecheng moves though.

Around each faction a great conflict emerges making TGC's scenarios complicated....
    When i started TGC as a small project i did not realise how many real conflicts would be emerged. Interesting.

Majkl's Avatar Miles

these links are from my favorite web (very usefull):
    http://slovanske-hradiska.blogspot.c...tvo%20Slovenov - for flags banners symbols etc..
    http://slovanske-hradiska.blogspot.c...omy%20Slovenov - houses (dunno if necessary but posting just for case)
    http://slovanske-hradiska.blogspot.c...BEkej%20Moravy -weapons of Moravia
    http://slovanske-hradiska.blogspot.c...20hrad%C3%ADsk - fortresses?? dunno ,it is called hradisko/hrad/grad in slovak language

another webs with interesting photos:
    http://www.sivaci.weblahko.sk/ - slavic gods
    http://www.rodolesie.sk/index.php?op...d=58&Itemid=91 - typical moravian axes
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pmqXD7TaGZ...arejMoravy.gif - culture centers of moravia
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EdtSm1CwIP...Nitriansko.jpg here u can see even centers on eastern part of Nitra Principality and later Moravia

warriors:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EdtSm1CwIP...Nitriansko.jpg
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RYBLi1SNEE...+jazdec+VM.jpg

I will update this post from time to time and add new photos,artworks and everything important or interesting...
    Last edited by Majkl; September 30, 2011 at 11:37 AM.

Matthæus's Avatar Knez Bribirski

thank you all. you will see some progress soon

phoenix[illusion]'s Avatar Palman Bracht

Default Re: [Faction Research topic]: Serbia.

i'm doing some text about serbia before and during this period
    it will be mostly based on first bulgaro-serbian war (presian's attack) and second (boris' attack)
    also some things from vlastimir's life, and ofcourse, mutimir's (mutimir ruled serbia in 872.)

here's one seal from that time, it's seal from stojimir, brother of mutimir

in that seal it is written : "stoimir" and "god, help us all"

also church of peter, mutimir's grandson. not much churches left from that period, this is the only one survived. it's from late 9th century/early 10th

long time no see, but still twc drug kickin'
    check out Tsardoms: Total War!
    Under patronage of respectable Annaeus
    Patron of honorable Giacomo Colonna