Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: SPQR 6.0 Campaign Glory or Horror Stories. ;-)

Default SPQR 6.0 Campaign Glory or Horror Stories. ;-)

Hello, I figure this is a good thread for SPQR players to report their Glory stories or Horror stories of their Campaigns, victories or troubles. Just state your date of play and difficulty level your playing on.

This thread is the place for your war stories, I have to admit I find some of them interesting! Especially ones about getting pushed back or defeated.

Lt
    Last edited by lt1956; February 22, 2006 at 03:44 AM.
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

It's good you created this thread to avoid multiple threads on the same subject. You should do the same for bugs or CTDs.

I might as well start with a good war story.

247 b.c. HArd campaign Medium Battle Difficulty, garrison script on

Battle for Lilybaeum

After successfully setting up defenses in my northern towns and with my economy strong enough; I decide to take on Carthage for Lilybaeum. I had just taken Messana and re- recruited what I could, I also took on 500 archers to my legion(total 2400 men). When I marched my legion to the town they had a 1600 man garrison of various town watch, peoni infantry, skirmishers, & four generals. I attacked and built two siege towers and two ladders. THe garrison script gave Carthage 3600 men or a full stack. The next turn I attacked

I sent all of my hastati up the wall with the seige towers while around the corner I sent all my archers with ladders. I got my archers on the wall and rained arrows on those Carthaginians,while also taking the wall above the gate. I sent my Principes, Triarii, A unit of Equites, my general and two units of velites to take the square. I thought that I would be able to take the square and hold it for three minutes before the re-inforcements came......

Lets just say it didn't happen. After I took the square I sent all my principes and velites and my equites down the road to block off the re-inforcements from getting back to the square. Carthage sent another couple units down another street and got to the square almost killing my general. My Triarii made short work of them but they were down to around twenty to fifty men each. MY velites and principes were starting to lose against all those men. So I ran my archers off the wall and told them to fire fire arrows into that huge mass of men fighting in the street(My Hastati were still fighting on the wall). I also pulled a unit of velites back and told them to throw the rest of the javelins at the enemy. And pulled my Triarii back to join that line in the street. Then They all broke!! All of them ran straight into what was left of my infantry and they were annihilated. Herioc Vicotory killing 5000 men four generals and losing 1800.

I don't want to talk about my defeats... yet

Edit; This was my second try at Lilybaeum the first time I got schooled

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by lt1956
    Praetorian cohorts? YOu cant get those until Marius and they are nothing than upgraded town watch? You do know this is for SPQR not vanilla?

Lt
    I think the stress of modding has finally got to you. Upgraded town watch are the Urban Cohorts, Praetorians are the uber legionnaires you get from Roma.

Anyway Horror Story –

You know at the start of the game you start of with two full legions, I decided to do some early land grabbing and Sardinia was firmly in my sites. I packed my legion onto two little warships and set them off to Sardinia. The next turn those warships were attacked by pirates and I lost a whole legion to the sea, plus a useful family member!

Its not all bad news though losing that legion meant I saved a bundle of cash of turn however that before I realised there was a second rebel army in Italy made up of gladiators!

Lol, I love the sinking ships dont you? 1.5 this sink well. The Idea of actually worrying about a sea venture is completely realistic, During the civila war it was a major worry just crossing into Greece. Ships could get sunk or captured and you lose the entire army. SPQR I think reflects this well and I have a LARGE fleet before even thinking about traveling at sea!

I lost a legion and family member off the coast of Carthage, And I feel your pain, later you will find the Units were worth more than the money you got next turn. lol
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

ok ok here's mine.

236BC Medium Campaign Diffilculty,Hard Battle Diffilculty Story Mode

Battle Of Syracuse

Over a long period of time,greece was been able to withstand attacks from all different angles.
    But The Siege at Syracuse was a defeat that no one could foreseen.
    But Now that Greece has risen once more,they have decided to take Syracuse once again for Zeus!

Day 1: The ships finally arrived on Sicily,carrying 2500 men,2000 soldiers and 500 cavalry.
    When we got there ,we ordered our troops to make siege equipments,we ended up with a siegetower en 2 rams.

Day 2: This was the time to fight!
    As we approached to the gates,our scouts spotted 2 units of archers on the wall,but nobody else.
    So i ordered my swordhoplites up the tower,which defeated,without problems, the archers.
    But After had done this they warned us!there were about 2000 Principes,at the gates.
    I ordered my archers up the tower onto the wall,to harass the enemy infantry
    they killed About 200 of them,because they quickly went into loose formation.
    After that the gates were opened by the sword hoplites.
    My men Charged into the gates,which a lot of them died because of the Oil.
    But to my suprise the Roman General attacked my hoplites and got stuck and killed.
    After that it all happend fast,the principes started routing,en killed by my Greek Cavalry.
    As we entered the plaza we found sumthing strange!
    My Brother,was fighting too!,he defeated the Roman cavalry with ease thanks to the Spartans.
    Friendly killes 878,enemy kills 2767.

THE END

Right! I'm glad u created this thread... well done LT,

Difficulty: Hard campaign/Medium battle - Year 253 BC

Well following Freddie's failed attempt to invade Sardinia here is my little experience on that island last night...

First off the PIRATES... I diverted my two full-stacked fleets to start this invasion ;-) Initially I sent a guinea pig fleet to deal with the Pirate fleet ;-) obviously they were sunk but the pirate casualties amounted to hundreds and they got weakened. Finally I confronted and sinked them with my second fleet lol

At the same time I shipped my spy to Sardinia just to find that strong Rebel army waiting for me in the north side :-( They had a stack of half eastern cavalry archers and another half of archers and spear infantry... oh boy!!! I could only spare one legion being replenished in Sicily... I knew they would be outnumbered as soon as I landed and sieged the rebel city (garrison script + northern army) ;-(

Well... next turn happened my legion commanded by a brave 5 start General (spearheaded the sicily campaign) landed south of Sicily and immediately sieged Caralis... I had no time... the strong rebel army noticed the move and my spy reported it moving south next turn :-( The city garrison was now 4k strong with lots of javelin, archer and spear infantry waiting on the stoned walls... plenty of eastern horse archers waited down the walls to finish me off... I had only one shot before my legion was exterminated between two stacks of blood thirsty rebels 8k strong :-(

I took to the walls my hastati spear heading on ladders and siege towers followed by flanking principe on the city side walls... What madness siege... two hastati units vanished under the javelin and arrows before even reaching the walls ;( the remainig ones hit the walls halfed and stuggled to keep a foothold agianst the outnumbered rebels...

It all seemed lost but the turn of the flow happened ;-) my principes managed to sneak in on both flanks and thr enemy seeing that diverted their units to confront them... that was my opportunity... I immediately send my reserve principe units to climb the ladders and help the few hastati still fighting to death next to the Gate house... At the same time I sent my velite and slingers to the wall, they helped clear the horse archer from the base of the wall and open the way for my principes to take the gate house ;-) Well with gates opened it was a matter of time before my triari units followed by cavalry and the General entered the city and mopped up the remaining spear/horse archer units...

Well the city was taken with something like 4000 dead rebels and 2000 of my brave men. My legion was completely weak and could not possibly meet the strong rebel army which now was at the gates of the new conquered city :-( I could only reforce my garrison and wait for a second legion which was now sailing from Italy :-) I landed my Italian legion on the east side of sardinia and as planed the the rebel army spoted that leaving the city to meet my legion commanded by an inexperienced general (2 starts)... Another blood bath followed next turn...

My legion had mainly foot soldiers and the cavalary archers started take casualties on my ranks ;-( I sent my velites and archers on spread formation forward and they started taking the heat of cav archers... I regrouped my infantry and met their useless spear infantry ;-) that was the trun of the battle... after routing them my still diminished infantry formed a square defence arround my cav and General whilst the revel cav archers had just fnished off my skirmishers and some unlucky hastati units... they were tired and I saw the chance to change the tide of battle... My cav units and General attacked a couple of cav arc units on a circle formation whilst my depleted infatry met the others... More blood encounters followed but I had now the battle on my hands... again 3900 rebels and 1600 of my men dead... Sardinia was officially taken with a cost of two half legions for the republic of Rome ;-)
    Under the Patronage of Hadrian

i lost the city of Messana at the first few turns after being sieged by Hannibal and had my army slaughtered to the last man. Hannibals army and his elephants stormed the walls and pushed my men to the city center, they held on to their very last breath and died heroes. Hannibal took control of the city. Next turn, i was ****** off and sent the legion at the bottom of italy and sieged messana and crushed hannibal, taking him down with my general, hannibal can now only regret in his grave.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by rayzzz
    i lost the city of Messana at the first few turns after being sieged by Hannibal and had my army slaughtered to the last man. Hannibals army and his elephants stormed the walls and pushed my men to the city center, they held on to their very last breath and died heroes. Hannibal took control of the city. Next turn, i was ****** off and sent the legion at the bottom of italy and sieged messana and crushed hannibal, taking him down with my general, hannibal can now only regret in his grave.

You will find a lot of people will lose thee foot hold in Sicily early on SPQR 6. I might start a new campaign just to see if there is anything I can do to prevent the loss of the town. Ideally you should be able to spam lots of velites, which are used to crush their elephants before they destroy your walls you might be able to keep the town.

Once I have northern Italy under my jurisdiction I will clear up old Spartacus in the south and will start an assault on Sicily. After this I’ll have enough money for a decent navy those scallywag pirates that killed my legion will be brutally annihilated.

Glorious Victories: M/M Campaign, Garrison script on.

Siege of Messana: Extra Extra, Garrison manages to crush Hannibal's Elephants, City saved!
    No seriously, one of the Elephant units ran amok and we were able to focus fire on the other two instead of all 3, the one that ran amok went straight through the Carthaginian lines and nearly ran over Hannibal himself. Damn was I lucky.

Siege of Segesta: Gaul force of about 1500 Attacks light defense force of 1200. Wooden walls, 3 units of Hastati the rest are Velites, Town Watch, Equites and a Family Member.
    It was an extremely tough fight, the end-fight was between the 30 surviving Hastati, 8 surviving Town Watch, and 57 surviving Velites with 5 Equites and the full guard of the Family Member against 3 Silver Chevron Chosen Swordsmen. (OUCH!)
    We barely won, with the Gauls finally loosing heart after being repeatedly charged over and over by the Family Member and his Guard.
    Garrison has since been increased.

Several Close calls:
    I found out that the AI, when given the opportunity, will retreat when faced with extreme tactical disadvantage.
    2 Gauls stacks were threatening Arriminium, I moved 2nd Legion(Quintus Julius and his Heavy Infantry) to their right flank, and 3rd Legion (Some General with a name like Secundus Phillipus or something like that... mostly light infantry) to their left flank.
    Instead of engaging they retreated to the River and we were able to box them up in the North while we built a Bridge to make it that much harder for the Gauls to cross.

In the South I've discovered that Carthage and Greece are really duking it out, but after the deaths of Hannible and Theagus Carthage established a fort(Holy Crap, the AI uses Forts?) on our respective borders and hasn't advanced once into my lands. They seem more than happy to bash each other, leaving Messana alone.

billydilly's Avatar Senator

My horror story is the same as Freddie's.

I also sent one of my full stacks to conquer Sicily, unfortunatly a pirate fleet attacked, and i lost my fleet (6 ships) and my full stack. But you save a lot of money!

Fantastic mod!!

what is the best way to make elephants run amok?

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Ok im going to play now and im just about to engage the Gladiator rebel army with a totaly fresh legion and a recruited general.
    My forces:
    5 hastatii
    5 principes
    5 triarii
    4 velites
    1 general

I know i should probably not have so many triarii, but this is not a ordinary rebel army.
    I'll engage them now and i'll lets you know how it went...
    Oh btw im playing on m/m as Lt insisted that you should at first =)

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by rayzzz
    what is the best way to make elephants run amok?
    Javelins,fire arrows and Onagers or Scropions

backman's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Savage_Swede
    Ok im going to play now and im just about to engage the Gladiator rebel army with a totaly fresh legion and a recruited general.
    My forces:
    5 hastatii
    5 principes
    5 triarii
    4 velites
    1 general

I know i should probably not have so many triarii, but this is not a ordinary rebel army.
    and the cavalry? Put some cavalry in your legion, to kill the routing units.
    BTW, a good cavalry charge is the best way to win a hard battle.

GAIUS BACKMANIUS, From Hispania.
    SPQR:TOTAL WAR FAN
    RTRPE: IMPERATOR II FAN

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Savage_Swede
    My forces:
    5 hastatii
    5 principes
    5 triarii
    4 velites
    1 general

Please let us know how you got on, and what you done right/wrong.
    If it was up to me I would have had 1 less Hastatii, 1 less Triarii and brought in Cavalry to clear away those Certian Archers.

Quote Originally Posted by backman
    and the cavalry? Put some cavalry in your legion, to kill the routing units.
    BTW, a good cavalry charge is the best way to win a hard battle.
    I disagree. Killing the enemy general is the best way to win a hard battle.

Don't know the date exactly (around 248 BC) M/M

I had Sparta already under my command and decided to take Corynth. But i was short of men in Greece (Sparta had no population left after the extermination). So I decided to bring over a full army from Italy. I built my boats (5 triremes) and sailed with my army (one 3-star general, 2 equites, 2 velites, 2 principes and all the others hastati). The next turn i was attacked by pirats. Fleet sunk ---> bye bye army.
    The only positive thing was more income due to lower army upkeep.
    Now I gonna true again, I want my REVENGE !!!

backman's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie
    Please let us know how you got on, and what you done right/wrong.
    If it was up to me I would have had 1 less Hastatii, 1 less Triarii and brought in Cavalry to clear away those Certian Archers.

I disagree. Killing the enemy general is the best way to win a hard battle.
    Ok, I agree with your appointment, but anyways I think that good use of cavalry is ONE OF THE BEST ways to win a hard battle.

GAIUS BACKMANIUS, From Hispania.
    SPQR:TOTAL WAR FAN
    RTRPE: IMPERATOR II FAN

hoolley shiet all the battles i have done were ALL epic. From the battle against a Greek army that was full with 6 or 7 unit Spartan warrior, to the gauls that charge like crazy wild hog, and against the elefants of the carthage army. I could hold Messena!

All battles were like "we may loose this battle", but i could handle it, and not like in vanilla Rome total war where you can use all the ammo of your slingers and archer on the enemy, but using infantry where i had to, chargin the cavs right when i had to, and all.

But the best battle was against the Greek army that had 5 or 6 units of Spartan Warrior. The Greek army had sieged me. I had a full garnison, and the rest of the second legion that you start with. The spartan warriors don't flee even if they are only 10 men left. I had to kill half of my first army to let some reinforcement velites enter in the battle field, because only them kill the spartan warrior easly. So basically i had a general, 7 or 8 full fresh hastati, 2 slingers, 4 or 5 town watch and 5 or 6 velites as a reinforcement army.

I am playing on Normal/normal, and for the first time in this game, in all battles, i had to be as fast as in a internet game against real player, with the mouse selecting and managing units. And i had to use my second hand for the first time also, for the shortkeys.
    Last edited by Yosemite; February 22, 2006 at 08:00 AM.

my story was in 253BC

i had just launched a attack on carthage and burnt the city to the ground with ballistas before i took it with 3,000 men with Egypt i was conforting in know that i had a big enough army to know that i was not going to be attack by them with such a big army so i went about attack the next city under carthage rule. so i took about 2,000 troops to another city and laid it under siege only to have a suprise attack fall upon me by hannibal himself and his men. they fought a destroyed my army of 2,000 men to 900 after i retreated but when my army retreat it did not go back to carthage it ran all the way back to egypt lands. so i had a problem. i thought that after they had attack that army and been done with it i would be free to make more men i was wrong. hannibals brother hanarsbul put carthage under siege with only 1,000 nubian warriors and egyptian spear men to protect the city of carthage. so on my turn i took the army that had lost and marched them back towards carthage. so finally i made it back to carthage with my 900 men. made my postion behind the city because hannibal and hanarsbul were attack from the front so then they attack. while on the battle map my screen said my reinforcement were held up and would be there later. so i took up a postion in the city puttin all my men near the sqaure in the road. hannibal and hanarsbul attack with almost 4,000 men elephants, archers everything they had to take the city my leader fought hard while in the city against such odds comming from both sides. battle so hard that we killed hanarsbul but his army still came. so with 20 mins left remain my men in the city fought down to the last man death was certain and my king was killed. All hope was lost hannibal had taken the sqaure and then like clock work my army of 900 came full of pharohs men and attacked the carthagianians and WON the city back in a glorious fashion. after this battle which almost cost half of my army i was able to take over carthage!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast