Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: [RS2.1 AAR] The Kingdom of Ionia - A Roman Reinterpretation of the Crusades

Default Re: [RS2.1]Kingdom of Ionia - A Roman reinterpretation of the Crusades

Awesome update mate..
    Yeah Baby.. we are gonna see a Civil war soon..(I assume..)
    Marcus Claudius Aurelius

If anyone missed the update, it's on the previous page.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Anticipating more. This is great.

Sorry for the lack of updates currently. My brother died last Friday and we're going through some seriously difficult times right now.

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Sorry for your loss chaplain...

Sorry for your loss chap...

^What they said. Bad news indeed.

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by chaplain118 View Post
    Sorry for the lack of updates currently. My brother died last Friday and we're going through some seriously difficult times right now.
    Updates aren't important when something this tragic happens. Take all the time you need and don't worry about the AAR, your readers will understand... My condoleances to you and your family, chaplain.

Populus Romanus's Avatar Senator
    Redmond, Washington, United States of America

That is terrible news indeed. I hope you and your family are all fine.

We understand sir.. It's really a bad news to hear.. take all the time that you need sir. My condolences. May god be with your family in these times. May God bless you and your family.
    Marcus Claudius Aurelius

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

Great AAR,the first one i realy liked

And i am sorry for your brother...
    A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

Chapter VII

… With so many of the archeological evidence seeming to come from the north of Ephesus, our primary attention became diverted and we began to re-open a number of our excavation sites that had previously been sealed. One place that we looked at was the area that once had housed the citadel of Colophon, an important city during the Hellenic age, but had faded to obscurity and decay by the time the Romans entered the scene on the Anatolian peninsula.

What we found at the ruins of Colophon were collections of helmets and other instruments of war, most of them incomplete. Even the helmets we found were largely fragments and pieces of metal that we can only attempt to piece together. If only there was something here akin to the Sutton Hoo helmet, but those are largely for dreamers.

The equipments here were of unusually poor standard, with clear lines where the metal had snapped and broken. It is highly probable that Colophon was subjected to a number of sieges in its existence, and with many of the weapons found to have dated to roughly this time period, it would seem that Colophon served as a buffer state between the north and Ephesus.

Excerpt from “Forgotten History of the Ionian Coast” by C. Krieger Ph.D and J. Connelly Ph.D

The Citadel of Colophon
    -----

Pulcher groaned in his bed. Day by day the siege had grown worse. The Greeks had already hacked through much of the former citadel's surrounding lands. In fact, the only thing truly left of Colophon's defenses were the walls to the main stronghold established when Camerinus Sulpicius the First swept into Ionia all those years ago. Even then, the refounded citadel was pitiful, more of a makeshift camp for Aebutius Drusus when the boy first arrived to Ionia.

His scouts reported that the Greek positions were still at least fourteen days away before they could gather enough materials to begin a full-on assault on the stronghold. The city of Colophon itself, for all practical purposes, had been erased from the face of the Earth for a second time.

"Sir, an official letter, bearing the seal of Ephesos."

"Oh? Has the Coward seen fit to finally come to our aid?"

The messenger looked away awkwardly. Pulcher guessed what was on the man's mind.

"Thank you. You may leave now."

He gazed at the letter, not sure what it would bring him. Would it be words of a coming attack by a newly appointed legate? Would it be a relief force asked to fight through the Greeks encamped in the fields? Or would this be a letter declaring his treason to the Kingdom and subsequently leaving him to die? Unwilling to think any further, he tossed the letter and its contents into the fire. He stood up and decided to stroll the fort grounds.

It was a pitiable fortress. Not stone walls but simple wooden palisades and a small ditch to forestall the enemy. Should the walls be breached, it would only be a matter of hours before the entire place is overrun. He simply had not the men to defend the place.

His only hope was to look to Ephesos, and pray that absolution would come.

Absolution, now that was a bitter word for him. He had came to the Holy Kingdom in search of absolution. When he watched his home burn to the ground and used what little money he had left to buy a horse and armor, he thought he would find absolution for his family that had perished in the flames. And it had gone so well up until now. He had been a legate of the Holy Kingdom, someone who mattered. He commanded men and lived as luxuriously as possible.

Was this the way that the gods were punishing him for his impiety? Has he turned too far from the proper path that he was supposed to have treaded upon? He was never a man of deep religious stock like many of the others who spent days in supplicant prayers. But now, with his own mortality hanging so close in the balance, Pulcher felt the invisible tugs of the gods at his own life-threads.

Turning his gaze once more at the rolling hills in the distance and the gated city of Ephesos, he felt tears well up into his eyes. Everything that his family had stood for he had squandered. His father's piety was wasted on him, his mother's love. But more painful to him still was the fact that the night when his family died, he had cursed his own brother. This must be the way that the gods are punishing him now. It must be.

He left and headed to the center of the camp, where the imposing statue of the War God cast its shadow upon the world. It was fitting that he now bow before the God who would determine his fate. He had lived a life of trickery, deceit, and immorality. He would change that. As he gazed up at the War God's stony face, Maximinus Pulcher lifted his arms into the air and prayed for the first time in his life.

When he retired to his quarters, one of his horsemen was leaning against the wall. His side was glistening with blood. Before Pulcher could even rush to the man's side, the man collapsed to the ground.

"Chirurgeon!"

The man waved his hand and struggled up, leaving a pool of blood on the dusty floor.

"The Greeks... they've broken through our defensive works in the north. They're here."

The man's face turned white and he hugged himself. Pulcher grabbed the man's icy hand and asked.

"How many?"

"Thousands."

He nodded. "So be it." This was how the War God will punish him. He is a vengeful God.

"Commander?"

"Yes?"

"Will you pray for me? I've not much time left."

"Of course."

"Commander?"

"Yes."

"I"m cold."

He had no words to say. Instead, he let his burning hot tears drop onto the dying man's freezing hands. He knew no prayers since he had never bothered to learn them. Instead, he gripped the man's hand even tighter and held him close to his heart. He detected whispers from the man's lips and only after a while realized that it was a song, a hymn. He tried to sing along with it, but he could not.

The messenger was dead before the chirurgeon arrived.

One Problem at a Time
    -----

The post-coronation feast had gone as expected. Each man received their legateship with humbleness and the drinking and feasting went on until sunrise, when a white bull was sacrificed to the War God for his blessings upon the Kingdom.

Each man was satisfied with their assignments, except for Bubulcus. He had originally expected that he would receive the army at Smyrna, but the public outcry by Fabius against Crassus had certainly turned everything against him. Now, he was left with the paltry garrison at Lebedos. A pathetic seaside fortress originally meant to harras Greek fleets from landing troops in the soft underbelly of the Kingdom, but now a vacation resort for the more affluent citizens.

He raged and fumed, of course, but it led nowhere. Much to his chagrin, Atius Balbus was given the command of Smyrna. Whispers have even gone up that Crassus is now considering adopting Balbus to grant him a direct heir in the event of another succession crisis. His original hope of being King was fading fast.

"How has it come to this?" He asked Fabius as the two sat in the tepid baths. A crowd of people had thronged into the baths following the coronation and they all averted their gaze upon seeing the two legates.

"This could be advantageous for us."

"How? With barely any men and the most adamant supporters of Crassus in charge of Smyrna, we cannot hope to achieve anything. We cannot go on raids, we cannot strike at Greeks. We can only hope that Crassus and Balbus impale themselves on Greek sarissae and leave the Kingdom open to a new successor!"

Fabius rubbed his chin. "That could be arranged. The Greeks have already claimed much of the eastern portion of the Holy Kingdom."

"What would you do? Entice the King to attack? Nevermind the fact that we would both be there as per our duties. What would happen should we die?"

"Do you fear death?"

"No. For when it is, we are not, and when we are, it is not."

"Exactly, let the gods determine who lives and who dies. For us, it is immaterial."

"And suppose the gods love Crassus?"

"Then we must tempt him otherwise. If the Greeks sieging Colophon do not kill him, then we drive him to the Greeks holding the bridge to Noturia Ponta. He is but a man, and men will die."

"And if he survives all that?"

"He won't."

"How do you know that?"

"Because you will be the one who takes the heads of all those Greek generals. And when we make that fact known, that Crassus is but another Coward like the former King, then what's to stop the other legates from flocking towards you?"

"There must be a better solution."

"Oh there is. This is simply the outward cover you use."

"What else are you planning?"

Fabius picked his hand out of the water and pointed. "Balbus."

"Perhaps we should move this conversation to a more private place?"

A grin spread on Fabius' face. There was a scheming glint behind his eyes. "Perhaps. I just remembered something."

"What?"

"Balbus has a daughter. She is due to arrive here to see her father very soon on the guise of a pilgrimage."

"So?"

"I hear she's absolutely stunning. And a virgin to boot. To besot that would be a severe blow to Balbus' dignitas. You can discredit him forever if you do everything right."

The smile on Fabius' face grew wider and Bubulcus felt fear creeping into his mind.

Just then, a man dressed in military garb entered the baths. Recognizing the legates immediately, he approached them and presented them with a letter.

My legates,

We can ill afford to wait any longer in the defense of this Holy Kingdom of Ionia. Even as we relax and relish in our recent victory and the bitter loss of our former King, the Greeks push ever further into our Kingdom. I have received word from one Maximinus Pulcher at Colophon that the Greeks are approaching the citadel's walls. I ask you now to ride with me to relieve the siege there. Let us put down any differences that may have surfaced and instead work towards the betterment of our Kingdom.

We march to war at once.

Servius Papirius Crassus
    King of Ionia
    "You see, Bubulcus? This is but the first stepping stone onto your path to Kingship."
    Last edited by chaplain118; October 12, 2011 at 04:22 PM.

Crusades

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Nice work, glad to see you back in action again Chaplain!

Major update in the works, but will be divided up into several chapters since I'm in Rome for three months and won't have access to RTW. Don't worry, I think I have enough content to last you guys until then

Crusades

Glad to see you're back Chaplain!!!

The intrigue is lovely, and the idea is very original! Thou shalt recieve cake.

Chapter VIII

… A battle, if it had taken place outside the walls of Colophon, would have been an absolute bloodbath. The topographical maps show the original fields to be relatively flat—making it a perfect place for any kind of army to maneuver in, both Roman and Greek. The battle’s outcome, then, would have been determined by the number of cavalry either side presented. The simplest method of employing cavalry would have been the classical Alexander formation of pinning the enemy in place with the infantry and tearing through the rest of the enemy formation with heavy cavalry.

Our understanding of Roman cavalry was that these tended to be poor in quality, which forced the Romans into adopting foreign mercenaries and auxilia units into their armies to satiate their need for fast movers on the battlefield. This naturally proves to be highly confusing for our purposes of attempting to piece together a coherent idea of what occurred here during the battle. We have no way of knowing if the Romans simply hired local mercenary cavalries to perform the charges for them or if they imported cavalries from other regions such as Germania and Pannonia to assist them here. If indeed they brought their own cavalries with them, then that raises the question again:

Just how important was the Kingdom of Ionia and why did it disappear from history altogether?

Excerpt from “Forgotten History of the Ionian Coast” by C. Krieger Ph.D and J. Connelly Ph.D

A Knife in the Dark
    -----

The new army of Ephesos, having been swelled by the horses of the Praetorians, marched beneath the hot Ionian sun towards Colophon.

Amongst the army the newest addition were the Greek artillery that Crassus had managed to capture from the Greeks in the previous encounter. Dangerous machines of war made even more dangerous in the hands of Romans fighting on behalf of their gods.

Even though the army nominally followed Crassus, more and more men were drawn to the fiery rhetoric of Bubulcus. Each day towards Colophon, he marched alongside the men, speaking to them.

"Brothers, what have you come to the Holy Kingdom for? Have you come for the absolution of your sins as the Pontifex Maximus suggested? Have you come to defend this Kingdom as the King had requested? Did you come for personal reasons or did you come out of a hopelessness for the future that only this Holy Kingdom can grant? Well I say you come not from despondency, I say you come here not out of desperation. I say that you came here with an aim to better this world and this life so that in your next life, you would be granted salvation beyond your wildest imaginations."

He often pointed at Ephesos and asked.

"Do you know what is truly behind those walls? Those ancient Ionian walls that had kept Infidels back for thousands of years?

A dying Kingdom. A Kingdom that thirsts for new lands to protect the royal treasures. A Kingdom that demands you to spill your blood as a sacrament of your Oaths. Each drop of Roman blood will be blessed by the gods. Each drop of the Infidel Greek blood you spill will satisfy the souls of the Heroes of Old Troy. The gods demand that you lay waste to these Greek lands, the gods demand that you butcher the Greek men, enslave the women, and hurl Greek children from atop citadels just like Astynax was hurled by the Greeks at Troy.

Brothers, we are the Fist of Hektor, Tamer of Horses. The blood of holy Venus, of royal Aeneas, of proud Dardanus, flows through our veins. The blood of our ancestors call out for this Holy Crusade. They call for us to conquer the Greeks and make them pay for the sins that they have committed.

Remember, Brothers, it is not a sin to kill an infidel, but the path to Absolution."

The men cheered at every word. The centurions passed the words to their men and religious zeal overtook them all. The Praetorians smiled at the prospect of battle. And slowly but surely, Bubulcus seemed to win over the hearts and minds of the men in the Army.

They marched over the hills, through the defiles, across the valleys, and even through beauty. Oblivious to the surrounding countryside, the Romans were driven by their desire to kill Greeks.

On the fourth day of marching, Bubulcus rode beside Pictor.

"Your speech is working so far. They will renounce their oath to Crassus soon. I have already begun the process of acquiring the centurions' loyalty."

"And I have sent word to Aebutius Drusus in Noturia Ponta. He will continue to defend the citadel there until we persuade Crassus to rescue him."

Bubulcus could not help hide his smile. Everything was slowly falling into place. He would soon be the King of the Holy Kingdom. But at the same time, he was afraid. Everything he did was at the behest of Pictor. He feared that if he alienated Pictor even in some way, he would not only lose the support of the most scheming man in the Kingdom, but gain a considerable enemy. As he watched the man ride ahead to rejoin his own riders, Bubulcus wondered if the first thing he should do upon Kingship is to have Pictor removed and sent to a garrison where there would be no trouble. Perhaps to Lebedos where he had been sent. After all, if he could take the army and strike Halicarnassos, then what need will there be for Lebedos?

On the sixth day of marching, a scout rode back from the head of the army in hurry. He brought both good and bad news. The good news was that the Greeks had separated their forces. Only a single army was in range of battle. The bad news was that they were already at the walls of Colophon. But hope still remained for the banner of Rome was still fluttering in the breeze above the citadel of Colophon.

The Battle of Colophon Fields
    -----

The battle had started out simple enough.

Crassus was no fool. He was quite aware of the fact that some of his legates were conspiring against him. He knew that his position as King of Ionia was a precarious one to hold. As such, he had deemed that the legates who were least loyal to him be placed at the least important citadels of the Kingdom. But the Greeks invading from the East, they had changed all of that. The battle before the walls of Colophon to save this citadel, and consequently, to save this Kingdom, would be instrumental for his survival. Not only as King, but as a simple being in the face of conspiracy.

He discussed these concerns with men such as Siculus, men like Balbus. But they only had enmity and hatred towards men such as Bubulcus and Pictor. They didn't know how to deal with them. As such, even with his most trusted advisors, Crassus felt utterly alone in this undertaking. Some say that was the reason he pushed the army forward.

The first move for the battle before the walls of Colophon came from the Romans. They intended to use fire to weaken the enemies' resolve.

The Greeks, perhaps realizing their precarious position, fled to higher grounds, attempting to escape the relentless artillery fire.

Meanwhile, as the armies arranged itself, Bubulcus grew impatient.

"So, how else will we prove to the men that what we speak is true?" He asked Pictor.

"Simple. You show them that the gods love you, and they will swoon over you like a child for his mother. Deceiving men is like herding sheep, you only need one single item."

That was good enough for Bubulcus, and he ordered his Praetorians to move.

The Greeks had no chance of standing against the Praetorian charge, and so they broke and fled. But Bubulcus was not done. He ordered his men to charge, to continue smashing into the Greek wings, routing them at every turn.

Noticing the commotion, Crassus motioned one of his riders over.

"What is going on on the left wing?"

"Bubulcus, sire. He has charged without permission."

Bubulcus. Why must it always be Bubulcus. If he desires Kingship so badly, then he can have it. But instead, the words that came from Crassus' mouth were. "Let him charge, it will give us time to bring us up to rank against the main Greek lines."

Meanwhile, the wings continued to clash as Bubulcus sent his Praetorians slamming into the Greeks again and again and again. By now, the lines have engaged, and he was forced to charge through the Romans themselves. The thrill of the cavalry charge, the feeling of the ground shaking beneath his horses' hooves. It was intoxicating.

But the charges would not be enough to halt the enemy. They continued to press against the Roman lines. Crassus evaluated the situation. If he simply let the enemy continue, his lines would be overrun. But at the same time, he had little choice but to continue holding. Also, he could not allow Bubulcus and Pictor to have their victory here. He needed to do something, and something fast.

"Soldier, how are the artilleries' mobility?" He asked.

"Mobility is good, sir."

"Move them to the flank of the enemy."

"Sir?"

"You've heard me. Move them to the flank."

"Yessir."

He had a plan to cut down the Greeks and simultaneously deprive his political enemies their chance for propaganda. When the banner for the artillery went up, he gave them the signal to fire at will.

The Greeks have learned to experience their own ingenuity against them. All the while, bolts exploded in the Greek ranks, tearing apart men limb from limb. The Roman infantry held, but even their hearts were weakened by the sheer power of the artillery.

Crassus rode behind them and shouted.

"Fear not these shots, my Brothers! For the gods alone determine who shall live and who shall die. If you should die on this field, your afterlife will be made everlasting and glorious. If you should live on this field, then you shall experience further tests by the gods to see the resolution of your souls. Hold the lines. Hold the lines. Let the enemy know of their own machines. Let them fear their own creation. But you, proud Romans, know that the gods are watching over you, that your salvation is guaranteed. The holy union between you and the gods will be complete if you should fall today. I say let them come! I say let their spikes roll forward! I say we fear not death! But embrace it!

Brothers! Hold the line! And we shall meet again! In this life or the next!"

But on the far wings, Pictor and Bubulcus were still at their own game of havoc.

"The man seeks to regain his own precious command among the men. Now could be a perfect time. If your charge can break the enemy, then the men will unanimously support you." Pictor wheeled his horse around

"Then what are we waiting for? Ad Gloriam, et Salvationem in Aeternam!"

And so, the two men with their Praetorians charged forward

A hammer and anvil situation developed, and Crassus could see from his own vantage point how the lines are now locked together.

The artillery continued to pound the Greek lines. He could still see Bubulcus and Pictor continue their insubordination. So long as it brought him victory, how could he fault them? Nevertheless, he knew that the two men could not be left to their own devices.

"Move the heavy artillery forward as well. Let the Greeks see them." He ordered.

The artillery pieces frightened the enemy, but it did not break their resolve. The front lines continued to be a meatgrinder between the two armies.

Meanwhile, Bubulcus, having secured enough of the men's support, was directing them.

Ordering them to pin the Greeks down, he went forward with his own horses in a thunderous charge in an attempt to break the Graecian resolve.

Not to be outdone, Crassus realized that if he were to remain behind the lines, he would be branded a coward just like Camerinus Sulpicius was. And so, he ordered his own horses forward in a charge

"So, it seems that Crassus is no fool after all." Pictor said.

"Apparently not. Now what."

"Now we wait for the enemy to retreat and die. Let Crassus have what he wishes. But if you were the first one to enter the citadel of Colophon, then imagine your prestige. Not among the Kingdom, but among the soldiers."

"You are frightening sometimes, you know that?"

"Oh yes, I know. But believe me, Bubulcus, you'll be happy that I am your ally and not your enemy." Pictor's smile said something far more sinister. Almost suggesting that he would one day turn on his former ally. Bubulcus decided. If he were to become King, Pictor would be the first one executed.

The Greeks retreated from the field. And the other army was too far away to come to their aid.

An important victory was achieved. The siege of Colophon was lifted.

Last edited by chaplain118; October 12, 2011 at 04:23 PM.

Crusades

Populus Romanus's Avatar Senator
    Redmond, Washington, United States of America

Wow! Great! I find the developing political intrigue to be fascinating. Keep up the good work!

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Great to have you back man excellent updates!

impressive AAR, will be following this.

KINGS AND PAWNS, EMPERORS AND FOOLS...