Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: (WIP) MOS Expansion Project - Ancillary Overhaul

PythonBoy's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: MOS Expansion Project

Quote Originally Posted by Minas Moth View Post
    for now yes, i will do some changes this weekend, so a new 2.0 version will be out... you caught me off guard in the morning so i did something i didn't plan. pikemen were suppossed to be trained only in huge cities; so i just have to change those armored archers entry, that's all... i'll do it tomorow...

also i'm going to remove download link for patch 1.2... cheers guys
    Oh, ok. So I'll put my favourite faction on hold and go back to playing with crappy 'ol Gondor. Only kidding! Taro_M's Gondor units are pretty wild. Anyways, hope you can change it so that elven pikemen and armored archers could be trained in all elven cities.

Btw, those elven unit names, are they actually based on the Quenya language or something else? I know that Quenya is not a fully completed language tho it is quite extensive.

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by PythonBoy View Post
    Oh, ok. So I'll put my favourite faction on hold and go back to playing with crappy 'ol Gondor. Only kidding! Taro_M's Gondor units are pretty wild. Anyways, hope you can change it so that elven pikemen and armored archers could be trained in all elven cities.

Btw, those elven unit names, are they actually based on the Quenya language or something else? I know that Quenya is not a fully completed language tho it is quite extensive.
    Sindarin, Quenya wasn't used that much in Third Age.

PythonBoy's Avatar Foederatus

Sindarin, Quenya wasn't used that much in Third Age.
    Ooops. Of course. Quenya was mainly spoken in Valinor. The Noldor wouldn't speak it much in Middle Earth. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the 2.0 patch. Cheers mate.

well, i did add more than two units actually, but that was for the sake of diversity. i think that FRoME's trademark are the silvan(mirkwood) javelin throwers and i didn't want to use them here exactly for that reason. i have taken much of their work as it is.

@Stabbyman
    so if you want javelin throwing elves play FRoME and stop bugging about this in my submod thread, ok? make your own submod if you want to use them that much... and please don't use terms like smallminded and similar stuff when talking about someone else's work, it's easiest to criticise and do nothing about it yourself, isn't it?

thnx, Ale_san... well the fix was provided by Kaiser1993. i would sugggest you to make a backup of those files before you delete them and then delete them and see what happens... i have to say that this is MOS problem (that will be fixed soon hopefully) rather than my submod problem.
    actually i've tried to do as much myself prior to even seeing this submod, but to be frank i lack the skills. Honestly i respect what your doing with this submod i'm not trying to put you down believe me i think its great for the elves to enjoy this much more variety i just don't feel like the units picked truly change the way the silvan elves are used in the field so much though i'll admit the galadrim units and the shield walls they are capable of clearly make them the choice for city defence, and for the high elves i love the new pikemen, i can't say i see the point of having retexes of the rest of the roster but i do like the new elvish names and at least they make the high elves more entertaining to gawk at.
    at the end of the day i just feel like the spear chuckers are more skirmishy and befitting of the description on the forest wardens. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just questioning why so many units that feel similar and not ones that feel more contrasting and flavourful. i'll shut up and piss off now.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

As I understand it MM has made this to provide some distinction between Lorien and Mirkwood in terms of existing units/capabilities, so archers from one have a different appearance/feel to the other, etc.

Perhaps this could be expanded to add new units such as the one you mentioned. Entirely up to MM of course but it might raise balancing issues, plus the question of should Silvans have this 'weak spot' filled?

You make a fair point Stabbyman. But your first post came across not as a "nice one MM, may I suggest...?" but as a "wtf? where the hell are...?". Maybe it was the uppercase yelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Stabbyman View Post
    hey perhaps you could make the elven rangers the token ap unit, lower the ammo, up the acuracy set the strength of the shots stupidly high?
    That would not go down well from my experience. The ammo count would need to go waaay down to offset the attack advantage but even then it would appear as strange, stat-wise: if these guys can have such high attack then why can't any other archers?

actually i've tried to do as much myself prior to even seeing this submod, but to be frank i lack the skills.
    that doean't mean you should give up... practice, practice and practice again; it will come to you once and then it is fairly easy...

don't feel like the units picked truly change the way the silvan elves are used in the field so much though i'll admit the galadrim units and the shield walls they are capable of clearly make them the choice for city defence, and for the high elves i love the new pikemen, i can't say i see the point of having retexes of the rest of the roster but i do like the new elvish names and at least they make the high elves more entertaining to gawk at.
    they weren't suppossed to change the way player use them... the goal was to keep as much of vanilla "battle use" as possible... in vanilla game silvan elves have to fight mumakils and trolls whitout armor piercing units; and that works... the point behind retexture of HE was that i believe that to play all the game with those "gold units" is kind of dull. retexture added some diversification to look and feel, also it added connectio0n between player and each individual settlement since he can chose himself which units he want's to train...

at the end of the day i just feel like the spear chuckers are more skirmishy and befitting of the description on the forest wardens. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just questioning why so many units that feel similar and not ones that feel more contrasting and flavourful. i'll shut up and piss off now.
    well, then this is good "school" for you... you'll learn soon that modders aren't that thrilles when people criticise their work; especially me... that doesn't mean that i don't take critics good; i just don't like the way they are said sometimes... as W explained there are nicer ways to tell what you think of someones work... by no means you should shut up; the feedback is always welcome... i respect your opinion (altough you maybe think differently) but decission not to include those javelins was done by me in order to still separate MOS adnd FRoME...

cheers man

Default Re: MOS Expansion Project !!!version 2.0 released!!!

then allow me to apollogise for the crassness of my original post. now i understand your reasons a bit better i can appreciate it rather more. but still may i enquire as to why the silvan axemen have schiltrom? thats never seemed much of an axe formation to me.. it's like giving fountain guard the circle and shoot ability from mounted archers lol

then allow me to apollogise for the crassness of my original post. now i understand your reasons a bit better i can appreciate it rather more. but still may i enquire as to why the silvan axemen have schiltrom? thats never seemed much of an axe formation to me.. it's like giving fountain guard the circle and shoot ability from mounted archers lol
    i simply copyed there ability from the FRoME, so i think that all should be fine... i don't have FRoME installed so i can't check if they indeed have the same ability there... maybe i messed up something while transfering texts

Everything is working fine now with 2.0 version of Your mod. Great job

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon The Black View Post
    Everything is working fine now with 2.0 version of Your mod. Great job
    glad to hear that man! enjoy the game

I love mods like this!
    Just wondering if it is possible to add more hero-specific traits, like the ones they start with (Biology). If some of them can be earned from start and some from experience it would be awesome

For example Glorfindel started with the additional trait "Reincarnated" in some RC/RR version which made him about as OP he should be, with like 18 hitpoints Brings me back to shogun 1 where a top daimyo heavy cavalry general alone could kill like 50 troops, awesome last stands!

Quote Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post
    I love mods like this!
    Just wondering if it is possible to add more hero-specific traits, like the ones they start with (Biology). If some of them can be earned from start and some from experience it would be awesome

For example Glorfindel started with the additional trait "Reincarnated" in some RC/RR version which made him about as OP he should be, with like 18 hitpoints Brings me back to shogun 1 where a top daimyo heavy artillery general alone could kill like 50 troops alone, awesome last stands!
    glad you like it... well i did state that i will try to remake the anc system (again) and traits as well, but i can't do it wright away...

Nice , also that response was so fast that you got my awesome typo before I could edit it... beware of the frightening daimyo heavy artillery

Quote Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post
    Nice , also that response was so fast that you got my awesome typo before I could edit it... beware of the frightening daimyo heavy artillery
    oh sorry about that... it wasn't intentionall

i simply copyed there ability from the FRoME, so i think that all should be fine... i don't have FRoME installed so i can't check if they indeed have the same ability there... maybe i messed up something while transfering texts
    yeah they have the schiltrom on frome too. i've never understood why

yeah they have the schiltrom on frome too. i've never understood why
    so i did nothing wrong you can ask on the FRoME thread why they have that ability...

New patch 2.1 released. Check the OP!

so i did nothing wrong you can ask on the FRoME thread why they have that ability...
    i was not infering you did anything wrong i was just confused by it. playtested it and they're schiltroms actually more effective than the elven spearmens. just considered it might be something you'd want to tweek. in order to keep that fresh minty vanila flavour.

Wow, they're so great. Thank you for your work.
    umm, but, they have no Eldar Lancers of FOM ? If that one is added, it's being more perfect.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

I think that Lancers are still recruited as normal, just no silver version of them.