Page 5 of 305 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055105 ... LastLast

Thread: [GENERAL DISCUSSION] [SPOILERS] HBO's Game of Thrones Series

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Winter is Here! Discuss HBO's "Game Of Thrones"[SPOILER HEAVY!]

Good, solid episode this week, but I still have several qualms. Like, we saw Ghost briefly, but that was the first time since he was a puppy, and it was for about 3 seconds, he should be more prevalent than that. And no surcoats. And only one joust. And only one Frey chap in the inn, with NO surcoat, AND he drew his sword I also think there's a tad too many new scenes or lines, such as making the link between Gendry and Robert really obvious.

Some good things too though: Sam was well cast, the Mountain was pretty damn scary (even with an oven on his head) and Arya is consistently awesome.

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

What is new in the Gendry/Robert scene?

In the book, we get

“He asked me questions is all, m’lord.”
    “What sort of questions?”
    The boy shrugged. “How was I, and was I well treated, and if I liked the work, and stuff about my mother. Who she was and what she looked like and all.”
    “What did you tell him?” Ned asked.
    The boy shoved a fresh fall of black hair off his forehead. “She died when I was little. She had yellow hair, and sometimes she used to sing to me, I remember. She worked in an alehouse.”

And then at the end of the scene Ned thinks to himself What had Jon Arryn wanted with a king’s bastard, and why was it worth his life?

While I've not liked some of the new scenes, that's about as faithful as they've been.
    Last edited by AlecTrevelyan006; May 10, 2011 at 12:20 PM.

Must admit that I have never heard of or read the book. Been watching the series though and then I remembered having see a 'A Song of Ice and Fire' mod for Medieval 2. Really like the series, and might even consider reading the book? Is there more than one book?

I have a question as well, now that the "Game of Thrones" series is out, are you then going to base the mod on it, I mean in terms of units (making them as seen in the series) and characters?

Have a nice day,
    A Dane

Quote Originally Posted by AtheistDane View Post
    Must admit that I have never heard of or read the book. Been watching the series though and then I remembered having see a 'A Song of Ice and Fire' mod for Medieval 2. Really like the series, and might even consider reading the book? Is there more than one book?

I have a question as well, now that the "Game of Thrones" series is out, are you then going to base the mod on it, I mean in terms of units (making them as seen in the series) and characters?

Have a nice day,
    A Dane
    Its a saga, Song of Ice and Fire, consisting of
    - A Game of Thrones
    - A Clash of Kings
    - A Storm of Swords
    - A Feast for Crows
    - A Dance of Dragons
    - The Winds of Winter (upcoming)
    - A Dream of Spring (upcoming)

each book has around 800 A5 pages so it is REALLY long, but definitely worth it

My own opinion is that the first two are the best. Its in A storm of Swords, when things start to go bad and I started not enjoying the story.

Many think that "Storm of Swords" is the best book of the series; Simply for all the action. But some things.. You know, the series is a lot more brutal and gritty than other books. And there are some nasty, but wonderful in terms of writing, surprises. You should absolutely read them; They are the best books around.

And no, we won`t base our units on them. At least we won`t try to copy their looks; But if we like something in the series we might use it as inspiration.

But honestly, Samurai Lannisters?

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Alec: fair point mate, didn't realise he made it so explicit. My reasoning was that in the series he clearly states it aloud.

Khatmar: never heard that view expressed before! Most people (myself included) think the series builds up into its pinnacle in A Storm of Swords, and then A Feast of Crows is a bit of a (hopefully temporary) lull.

And Samurai Lannisters! Tut tut.

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

I think A Feast for the Crows is supposed to be the proverbial breath before the plunge.
    Also, loving the series thus far. My only real complaint is, yeah, the lack of Ghost.
    Now, I'm going out on a limb here... I actually like the Lannister Armor *Dodges the javelins* in large part because they are supposed to be wealthy and wealthy families in medieval times (especially in a fantasy I'd wonder) spent there money on obscenely exotic things. That said, I imagined it might have been a style brought from Ashai when the Targaryens came or at some other point. As to why I specifically liked it, independent of the conotations of Uruk/Samurai, it really does scream, "Hear me Roar!" That said, I'm going to hide now... *Hides in the Harpsichord...*

2Shy's Avatar Campidoctor

THE MOST AMAZING TV SERIES OF 2011 ! I just love it !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
    I think A Feast for the Crows is supposed to be the proverbial breath before the plunge.
    Also, loving the series thus far. My only real complaint is, yeah, the lack of Ghost.
    Now, I'm going out on a limb here... I actually like the Lannister Armor *Dodges the javelins* in large part because they are supposed to be wealthy and wealthy families in medieval times (especially in a fantasy I'd wonder) spent there money on obscenely exotic things. That said, I imagined it might have been a style brought from Ashai when the Targaryens came or at some other point. As to why I specifically liked it, independent of the conotations of Uruk/Samurai, it really does scream, "Hear me Roar!" That said, I'm going to hide now... *Hides in the Harpsichord...*
    My complaints here are that a) It doesn`t fit the style of the other seven kingdoms and b) there is enough potential to make them look awesome without using such exotic armor.. IIRC Many of Tywins Soldiers used helmets in the shape of lions (Or something else to do with their helmets) which would look awesome.

The serie are great in general i'm really enjoying
    But...
    I miss more heraldry in the costumes.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Like in the 4th episode i've noticed that no one of the vassals of house Tully had their heraldry so how the hell could Catelyn Stark recognize all of them and their houses.

They had some heraldry but nothing big on their chest which I agree would have been better

What happenend to episode 4? in the previews we saw Gregor and Loras fighting during the hands tourney. The tourney was all of 4 minutes maybe less. We needed to see characters such a Loras, Beric, and Thoros. Plus we didnt get to see Sandor step in to save Loras. Also we didnt see Gregor kill his horse, which i think shows his brutal nature especially to those who havent read the books. I was very pleased until this most recent episode

Rest assured, we will see the other half of the tourney in episode 5. After it, it was divided between 2 days in the books.

I agree we will see the second half but we wont see Beric or Thoros. Neither have been cast

But they did mention them, right? Was it in the scene when Robert, Jaime and Barristan were sharing war stories? I remember someone talking about crazy Thoros waving that flamy sword of his around.

and could someone remind me who Beric is please? Cant remember

They did mention Thoros so I hope he will be included later in the series

Beric Dondarion I believe was a lord or atleast a knight. After Tyrion was captured by Catelyn Tywin sent out Gregor to raid and pillage and plunder and Eddard was still the hand at the time. Eddard gave Beric the charge of hunting down Gregor. He was ambushed and his group were mostly killed and after Eddard died and the war started he became an outlaw and started hunting down lannisters. Thoros joined his group and all of them came to worship Rhlor. Beric became some what of a legend because he was "killed" multiple times and reappeared. We learn later that Thoros had been giving him the breath of life or something like that to bring him back to life. If you want to know more then just reread the books or google it or somethin

Thoros was mentioned in the Jaime/Jory scene (when the head of Ned's guard goes to deliver a messeage to the King, and the King has a room full of whores.

Beric is indeed a Lord, specifically of Blackhaven (in the Stormlands). The "Lightning Lord" has been confirmed to have been cast, but he is basically just a background character in Game of Thrones the book.

Of course!! I do remember now . This was the only part of the whole series with which I wasnt quite sure - I mean, I found it heroic and ridiculously funny at the same time.

And I also hated Thoros for bringing Catelyn back and not resurrecting Robb. But thats Georges kind of thing he always creates a super character everyone loves and kills him in the climax of the story

Thoros didn't have robs corpse which had its head cut off if you remember

I know, I know. And also Grey Winds head was nailed to his chest (or so I think). But the fact is... if its possible to raise the dead in Westeros, George could have saved Robb whatever the conditions. But he chose not to. Thats what makes me angry!