Page 302 of 305 FirstFirst ... 202252277292293294295296297298299300301302303304305 LastLast
Results 6,021 to 6,040 of 6091

Thread: [GENERAL DISCUSSION] [SPOILERS] HBO's Game of Thrones Series

Default Re: [GENERAL DISCUSSION] [SPOILERS] HBO's Game of Thrones Series

Quote Originally Posted by sneahcst View Post
    But at least Jon and Davos themselves should see the nonsense in this plan. In former seasons (except for the Dorne part) I could always understand why main characters where doing this or that. I still don't see the benefit of bringing a wight to the south.

are you serious? This has literally been the apocalyptic doom threat from the very first few minutes of the show/book before the opening credits ever came into existence. It's been a major plot point literally from the next scene after that that no one believes these things exist ("A mad man sees what he sees"). Bringing back one of these things fully intact for people to look at with their own eyes, see it raging and rattling in a cage like a feral meth'd up baboon has a powerful dramatic and emotional effect far beyond the logical argument that "Something is clearly up there that is disturbing the Northerners and is worth checking out" and would make a whole lot of people re-think being complacent.

As well, the obvious subtext of the whole plan, which I feel you seem to have missed, is that getting this intact wight isn't about convincing Cersei, it's about convincing Daenerys. Despite her obliging him his stupid plan, it's pretty obvious that even if its best case scenario and they all return with a bit of frostbite and no Wight, she'll pat them on the head, said "You tried", having never believed him to begin with and having lost little of value in letting him try, and go back to dealing with Cersei.

Westeros is (ostensibly) set in an era of perpetual ignorance and superstition. Very few people are literate, and even those that are literate likely aren't very well educated in things like the sciences, logic, rhetoric, psychology, and sociology. Giving them a series of explanations the way Jon has been doing, amounting to a Pascal's Wager of "If you help us, and they don't exist, no big deal! If you don't help us and they DO exist, we're all dead!" isn't going to sway many people, especially in the middle of a war.

These people need a dramatic exhibition. Bringing back a Wight, as rotted as possible, clearly standing on its own, of its own volition, making odd shrieking noises, clearly able to handle a weapon, running jumping howling slashing, trying to escape from its cage or what ever it's restrained in, is going to make a HUGE impact on people. They're going to look at that thing and, even the most cynical, would think "If this is a magic trick or some kind of necro-puppet, that is a whole lot of effort made to persuade me of something I didn't think exist is trying to kill me, maybe it's worth at the very least sending some reconnaissance people I trust to go up there and see for themselves"

Cersei's rule and remaining power is based on fear and money. In near future her army will consist of mercenaries form Essos who won't give a about the army of the dead.

They will give a when they're being slaughtered by the army of the dead.

For Cercei's subjects I am not sure whether they are more afraid of the dead or of a dragon queen who is burning whole armies and people who won't bend the knee.

They'd be more afraid of the DEAD, because the Dragon Queen can be stopped very easily by just surrendering! Pushed to the absolute brink, I can guarantee there would be half a dozen or more Kingsguards and more Goldcloaks who would willingly bring Daenerys Cersei's head if she brought her Dragons up to the red keep and just had one of them knock with its crinkled little wing-hand.

Jon and Davos should know that they can't stay away from Winterfell for too long and expect everything to stay in order. Further more Jon has to lead the North against the Night King which he certainly knows. Gendry would be much more valuable if they used him to get the allegiance of some remaining houses of the Stormlands because everyone should be able to see he is Robert's son.

Why wouldn't order stay? Sansa is a Stark, and she's family to Jon. Jon doesn't care about being a king or a lord, he only cares about the safety and well-being of the people. If the Northerners did a soft coup and told Jon they've made Sansa or Bran the new King in the North, but they're still going to help fight the White Walkers, he'd say "Okay" and get back to work.

And again, no one knows who Gendry is, and they don't know for certain that revealing him would make any difference. As far as we know, the Stormlands are wasted and not able to field a significant military force. And considering Cersei considers the North a threat, it means she plans on invading them, but she is being held up by the threat of Daenerys. If Gendry's existence comes about to her, she will straight up deploy Euron Greyjoy up to White Harbor or up the western coast to just rape and burn the out of everything and everyone, regardless of Daenerys, out of sheer paranoid rage and anger. She might even crack down on the Stormlands pre-emptively. It might help thin out her army for Daenerys, but it would result in a whole lot more bloodshed overall.

In the moment they are all acting somewhat unreasonable in my opinion. I just don't think this is really Game of Thrones like and I am pretty sure that GRRM would never write something like that.

I think this is exactly what he would do. In fact, he already did something similar in book 1 with Alliser Thorne bringing a Wight hand to the king, but the hand was dead and rotted and unmoving.

This overall plan, viewing the Whites as the biggest threat, is one hell of a bargain. If it works, the entire realm wakes up to the reality of the threat and takes measures to addressing it. If it fails, who is lost? Some low-level people, rebel knights, a Night's Watch defector, not any important lords or counts or knights or anyone of great power or wealth or influence.

I just thought of something earlier today. The great houses are almost all gone. The only starks that are left are Bran or female so the stark name has met its end. It is unlikely Robin is going to have children so there goes the Arryns. The Baratheons are gone unless Gendry is legitimized. No more Martells. No Tyrells. Euron has no heir, Theon is a eunuch, and Asha is a female. Really the only families left with any prospects for their houses' future are the Lannisters and the Targaryens.

Thats just depressing.
    My name is The First Triumvirate, killer of threads:
    Look on my threads, ye Mighty, and despair!

Quote Originally Posted by The First Triumvirate View Post
    I just thought of something earlier today. The great houses are almost all gone. The only starks that are left are Bran or female so the stark name has met its end. It is unlikely Robin is going to have children so there goes the Arryns. The Baratheons are gone unless Gendry is legitimized. No more Martells. No Tyrells. Euron has no heir, Theon is a eunuch, and Asha is a female. Really the only families left with any prospects for their houses' future are the Lannisters and the Targaryens.

Thats just depressing.

I was thinking of that, too, although I also figured that, for the need of preserving a familial name, matrilineal marriage could be done for Sansa and/or Arya and any other House left with only females. Ashayara most definitely would continue on the Greyjoys, although TV Euron is very young and could go on.

I had figured it was done for Olenna prior to the bumrush of Highgarden. She's most likely too old to bear children, and the only other option would be to adopt or marry a man with children and legitimize them somehow, though given the lack of secrecy noble houses have in terms of lineage, this likely would not work in terms of legitimacy in the rest of the realm. Only way that could really work is if the adoptive Tyrells spend several years, decades, perhaps generations just using that name and absolutely insisting they are legitimate Tyrells until everyone else gives up trying to oppose them.

But then she died.

As well, this is just the way things go. How many noble houses survived the First Long Night? And membeh these houses? http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php...Extinct_houses

As well, I remember in the books Samwell reading up on histories and finding many discrepancies which would seem to indicate that "known history" in Westeros is not as long as people claim, such as not being able to find records of any Lord Commanders of the Night's Watch before like number 500 or 600, and finding that the word "Knight" didn't exist prior to the Andals, while there were some histories of the First Men that used the word "Knight"
    Last edited by AndariusHaliusScipio; August 18, 2017 at 11:32 AM.

Korpskog's Avatar Praepositus

What are the prospects of the Lannisters? Cersei is getting old and only has eyes for her brother. She killed her uncle and blew up his son with wildfire? (Kevan was in the sept right). Ser Jaime only has Eyes for his sister.

Daenerys is barren right?

I actually thought about something the other day. It would be nice if Arya Stark decided to set her uncle Edmure free after she killed of all the freys single handed... Thus house Tully could rise again

Tyrion is a targ-imp right?
    "Får jag kalla dig Bajen? Det är lättare att komma ihåg..."

I think its more a show issue, in the books there always seems to be an offshoot of the 'main' family, as in firstborn son and such. Its why Sam was forced to the wall to begin with. Dickon is younger but Randal wanted him to inherit, if same was to be a better heir in in his fathers eyes Dickon and his sons would still be tarleys just not the 'main' family.

Quote Originally Posted by Korpskog View Post
    What are the prospects of the Lannisters? Cersei is getting old and only has eyes for her brother. She killed her uncle and blew up his son with wildfire? (Kevan was in the sept right). Ser Jaime only has Eyes for his sister.

I actually thought about something the other day. It would be nice if Arya Stark decided to set her uncle Edmure free after she killed of all the freys single handed... Thus house Tully could rise again

Tyrion is a targ-imp right?

Cersei's already pregnant with Jaime's child. It's in the show. Daenerys is barren so she's pretty much the end of her bloodline and realizes it. I imagine later in her life if she survives and bes queen, she might either designate a successor or establish some manner of elective monarchy.

House Tully is fine, Edmure is already free and lord of Riverrun with his Frey wife and child. The Freys may not be killed off, there's a whole bunch of them and there's no guarantee Arya killed all the males. It's entirely likely a Frey bastard could arise, or someone claiming to be a long-lost Frey. If there are only female Freys left guaranteed, then it's Matrilineal Marriage.

Korpskog's Avatar Praepositus

So Edmure is not a captive at the twins? Why did I think that..
    "Får jag kalla dig Bajen? Det är lättare att komma ihåg..."

Parafix's Avatar I have this stick...
    Blog Entries

Atleast in the books he's sent to Casterly Rock after the Riverrun siege. No idea what they've done with him in the show, such a great actor as well, hope they bring him back for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Korpskog View Post
    So Edmure is not a captive at the twins? Why did I think that..

there was an entire episode last season devoted to Jaime Lannister assuming direct control of the Siege of Riverrun, threatening to kill Edmure in front of the castle, then threatening Edmure in private saying he would kill Edmure and his wife and child to get back to Cersei. It ended with Edmure being released into Riverrun and the garrison submitting despite Bryndyn Tylly protesting. Bryndyn then sent off Brienne and the other guy and fought an amazing battle to the death with Lannister soldiers off screen.

Quote Originally Posted by AndariusHaliusScipio View Post
    matrilineal marriage could be done for Sansa and/or Arya and any other House left with only females.
    I thought about that as an option similar to Harry Hardyng's situation in the books. It seems unlikely though. Nevertheless, it would certainly be taboo.

What are the prospects of the Lannisters? Cersei is getting old and only has eyes for her brother.
    At first glance, the Lannisters appear doomed as well. Children certainly won't be coming from Cersei or Jaime. But Tyrion is still on the board (and a Lannister ) and perfectly capable of procreation, at least as far as we know. And as far as Dany, i know she is believed to be barren, and perhaps this is just hopeful ignorance, but i see Jon and Dany producing dragonspawn. If not then Jon is still capable of continuing the line. Whether he would sleep around is unlikely though. But they don't face the same level of extinction as the others.

House Tully is fine, Edmure is already free and lord of Riverrun with his Frey wife and child. .
    I forgot to include them, but yeah the Tullys seem to be in good shape, so long as the child survives winter.

I think its more a show issue
    It is definitely just a show problem. There are so many Tyrells running around it could make your head spin. And the Martells still have a male heir. But there is no indication that there is any connection between the two mediums anymore, besides the end game ofcourse.

I thought about that as an option similar to Harry Hardyng's situation in the books. It seems unlikely though. Nevertheless, it would certainly be taboo.

At first glance, the Lannisters appear doomed as well. Children certainly won't be coming from Cersei or Jaime. But Tyrion is still on the board (and a Lannister ) and perfectly capable of procreation, at least as far as we know. And as far as Dany, i know she is believed to be barren, and perhaps this is just hopeful ignorance, but i see Jon and Dany producing dragonspawn. If not then Jon is still capable of continuing the line. Whether he would sleep around is unlikely though. But they don't face the same level of extinction as the others.

I forgot to include them, but yeah the Tullys seem to be in good shape, so long as the child survives winter.

It is definitely just a show problem. There are so many Tyrells running around it could make your head spin. And the Martells still have a male heir. But there is no indication that there is any connection between the two mediums anymore, besides the end game ofcourse.

True true I sometimes forget the show has passed the books. I dont really like it but i understand why they did it. The show simply cant keep track of that many people. I also think they are doing it to help with Danys silly break the wheel bullcrap. Since if all but one or two of the houses are gone it makes it so she seems less like a literal conqueror and more a heroic savior.

Have any of you watched the leaked episode yet? I know it's illegal, but honestly it was HBO's fault for letting it slip away so stupidly like that.
    Well I've watched it and I've got to say it was by far the most epic and important episode on the series so far, but book readers and smart watchers will be disappointed as regards to the logic faults that occur from time to time.
    If you're horribly curious and just can't wait for Sunday, then here are some spoilers. BEWARE, PLEASE:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Tyrion and Dany discuss her heritage and what will happen if she dies.
    The seven brave knights and some random wildlings you just know are gonna die are attacked by a wight bear. Thoros of Myr gets badly injured, but they manage to kill it.
    Jon and the crew get trapped somewhere surrounded by the Army of the Dead, with the Night King staring at him. They stay there for like a day.
    Before, however, they send Gendry to run to Eastwatch and send a raven to Daenerys asking for help. He nearly kills himself with exhaustion but he stops just about near the Wall, where Davos spotted him and sent the raven.
    Sansa sends Brienne to King's Landing as a means of her plotting with Littlefinger to take Arya out.
    The raven reaches Daenerys, she mounts on Drogon and flies off to Beyond the Wall.
    Jon's crew wakes up to find Thoros of Myr dead. They burn his body. The Hound is pissed off at everyone and throws a rock that sparkles a motion of . The wights find out they were not incapacitated of attacking them and so they start walking on the ice.
    The group is ed, and so they exhaust themselves fighting to survive. As they get cornered faster and faster, Daenerys shows up with her dragons and destroys the wights. The crew except for Jon get on Drogon as they ready to fly off. For some retarded reason Jon stays down there fighting more wights.
    The Night King gets an ice spear and throws it at Viserion, killing him.
    Jon realizes he is ready to kill Drogon, so he sends Daenerys and the rest of the group off mounted on him. The Night's King misses by an inch, but now Jon is by himself surrounded by an army. He falls beneath the broken ice with some wights and stays there, presumably dead.
    Daenerys successfully returns to Eastwatch.
    Jon somehow fights his way and climbs out of the water. Suddenly the dead see him and start charging at him, but Benjen saves him with his epic weapon, puts Jon on a horse and tells to go himself. Nah just kidding, he sends him off to Eastwatch.
    Benjen stays back to delay them and dies while at it.
    Daenerys is about to depart when she sees Jon arriving with Benjen's horse. She takes him in and they get on a ship to King's Landing, presumably.
    On the way he shows Dany his scars and she realizes he was killed. They talk and she promises to destroy the Night King.
    Arya threatens to kill Sansa and shows her the faces while telling her about her training in Braavos.
    As the last scene, The Army of the Dead retrieve dead Viserion from deep down the frozen lake using massive chains.
    The Night King approaches Viserion, touches his face and watches. Viserion now opens his cold blue eyes.

spoiler block code doesn't work in e-mails

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exalted_Mage View Post
    Have any of you watched the leaked episode yet? I know it's illegal
    I wouldn't discuss 'leaked' episodes here, last time I did some snake reported me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulGamesInc View Post
    I wouldn't discuss 'leaked' episodes here, last time I did some snake reported me lol.
    Damn those Dornish!

ExtremeBG's Avatar Decanus

Apparently Westeros is 10 square km, judging from ep6.

Macedonia(FYROM) is Bulgarian. If you don't believe me, read a book.

LOL

Episode 6 was cringy as hell...

I enjoyed the episode. Watching all these different chapters interact is great-- Hound-Tormund, Jon-Beric, etc. But it is funny to see they aren't even trying to hide the disparities in travel time anymore.

I enjoyed the episode. Watching all these different chapters interact is great-- Hound-Tormund, Jon-Beric, etc. But it is funny to see they aren't even trying to hide the disparities in travel time anymore.
    Am I the only one that undderstands that one episode can happen over severals days/weeks? I mean I get its to the point of pushing it now, but Sansa said she hasnt heard from Jon in weeks and yet we heard last episode the Braan seen the army of dead heading to Winterfell. This implies some weeks have past since then. In this episode the only real time disparity is Dany reaching them. I mean they could have been on that island for severals days, not minutes. Just because they dont timestamp every scene doesnt mean they are teleporting. Presumably Jon ranging past the wall didnt happen in single day either. They were probably out there for a while before running into the bear.