Thread: [GENERAL DISCUSSION] [SPOILERS] HBO's Game of Thrones Series

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Default Re: [GENERAL DISCUSSION] [SPOILERS] HBO's Game of Thrones Series

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I read somewhere that in s06e09 will be epic battle between Boltons, Umbers, Karstarks and The Wildlings. If its true (most likely is because several northern lords were already confirmed for season 6, so if there will be no battle, it will be certainly some kind of conflict.), im highly disappointed with the show (even more that after s05). They would just divide ongoing book battle ( Stannis+ northern lords vs Boltons/Freys) for Winterfell into two parts. S06 Show battle will most likely win the battle starks/northern lords ( why would they even bother with making new northern story if the result is the same as Stannis in s05), that would mean they will also win in the books ( together with Stannis). So i really wonder why did they just let show Stannis die for no reason ( and made him evil)...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by HannibalExMachina; September 28, 2015 at 11:31 AM.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

yeeh, why are everyone and their grandma so sure stan will win the battle in the books? grrms still the guy writing, remember?

http://watchersonthewall.com/exclusive-exciting-news-about-northern-ireland-filming/

HUGE SPOILER OBVS
    Last edited by HannibalExMachina; September 28, 2015 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    So i really wonder why did they just let show Stannis die for no reason ( and made him evil)...

Thoughts?
    Because screen audiences are generally not as receptive to subtlety and character development. Same reason they made Boromir an evil character in LOTR when he was much more nuanced in the books. I think TWOW will have some challenges for Stannis, possibly including Melisandre sacrificing Shireen at Castle Black to bring Jon Snow back to life, and his response to this may result in his death. But that's the sort of subtlety that may just go right over the heads of the TV audience, which is after all much larger (financially at least) than the book reading audience and much more fickle.

Also the TV probably wanted a big series finale rather than the slow burn ending of ADWD

HOLY MOTHER OF HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS WHAT WE LIVE FOR BOYS!
    http://watchersonthewall.com/exclusi...ng/#more-46757.
    So who do you guys think will win this battle of 6 armies and who are these 6 armies?I speculate its the Starks and their loyal bannermen,Boltons and their loyal bannermen,Arryns,Wildlings and the White walkers.I cant think of who the 6th army is,maybe the Freys?

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenSenpai View Post
    HOLY MOTHER OF HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS WHAT WE LIVE FOR BOYS!
    http://watchersonthewall.com/exclusi...ng/#more-46757.
    So who do you guys think will win this battle of 6 armies and who are these 6 armies?I speculate its the Starks and their loyal bannermen,Boltons and their loyal bannermen,Arryns,Wildlings and the White walkers.I cant think of who the 6th army is,maybe the Freys?

At a guess:

Starks, Boltons, Freys, Mormonts, Hornwoods and, as speculation, some Wildlings.

Don't think we'll get Others south of the Wall this season.

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

I think the wildlings will slaughter the rest of the Night's Watch after they killed Jon. Then Theon and Sansa will arrive at the Wall and Melissandre will use Theon's blood to bring Jon back to life and hail him as the new Azor Ahai. Blood of the dragon, blood of the kings of winter and Targaryen. Wielder of a dragon fired (Valyrian steel) sword which can be a true Lightbringer. Basically R'hllor's wet dream

So one of the armies will be Jon leading the remaining wildlings, possibly having been told by Sansa about what Ramsey has been up to.

I also think this season will be when Rickon reappears in the show, with a Manderley army at his back as in the books, making them one of the six.

So I would say the six armies will be:

Wildlings under Jon Snow advancing from the wall
    Mormont, Hornwood and other Stark bannermen shown in the picture, meeting up with Jon having heard Sansa has left Ramsey
    Manderleys with Rickon advancing from White Harbour
    Arryns under Littlefinger joing with Manderleys
    Boltons holding Winterfell
    Freys coming to relieve the Boltons

I think it will be a battle where the first two armies meet up and lay siege, look to be gaining the upper hand, then the Freys turn up and swing the tide, but finally the Arryns and Manderleys turn up with Rickon, rally the north and kick some ass.

Then S6E10 shows the white walkers breaking through the now deserted wall as the Nights' Watch are all dead and Jon has led his army south. Dun dun duuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn......
    Last edited by Swarbs; October 02, 2015 at 08:06 AM.

Elbadruhel's Avatar Centenarius

Rickon is kid. U all always forget that. He cant lead nothing... Unless HBO swap the actor and in 1 year he grews 10... On the other hand, skagosi+manderly is viable.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elbadruhel View Post
    Rickon is kid. U all always forget that. He cant lead nothing... Unless HBO swap the actor and in 1 year he grews 10... On the other hand, skagosi+manderly is viable.
    In game of thrones that's not really an argument, Jon and Robb are 16 at the start of book 1, Arya is like 11. And since Rickon has been out of screen for a long time it'd make sense for him to have grown (plus the actor is probably older than Rickon is supposed to be, he may look the right age now).
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Mhaedros, dont say nonsense. There is no real point to defend or discuss that. Jon and Robb lead armies with 16 years old, as you say. What is NORMAL. Rickon has 5 years old... If he grows.. 1, 2, 3? We will continue being a kid. A small and too young kid. A guy of 5 or 7 years old cant lead an army. So unless magic affects the time (or HBO big balls) Rickon CANT be a commander or hero.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Mhaedros, dont say nonsense. There is no real point to defend or discuss that. Jon and Robb lead armies with 16 years old, as you say. What is NORMAL. Rickon has 5 years old... If he grows.. 1, 2, 3? We will continue being a kid. A small and too young kid. A guy of 5 or 7 years old cant lead an army. So unless magic affects the time (or HBO big balls) Rickon CANT be a commander or hero.
    You do realise Tommen Baratheon is 7 years old at the start of ASOIAF. Rickon is only 2 years younger, and considering the show made Tommen at least 13-14 in season 5 it's not unthinkable Rickon would be portrayed as 11-12. Maybe not a suitable commander, but far from a non-threat considering his last name.

Rickon doesn't need to lead anything. He's just a symbol - him at the back of the army with one of the Manderley's would be enough to rally the north. Particularly if he brings Shaggydog.

Read ADWD again and you'll see the importance of Rickon in getting the north to rise against the Boltons. Unless HBO have decided to do their usual over simplification and just replace Rickon with Sansa

Yes yes, dont misunderstand me. Wyman Manderly getting Rickon, saying: "We fight for the stark, the north remembers!!!" Everybody see rickong and pray loyalty to him and Wyman rally the north and everybody joints under rickon stark flag? OF COURSE.

What i say Swarbs, is that rickon CANT be the leader, the commander, the hero, of that army. Because some people thinks that this young kid will growth 10 years in 1 year, 1 meter tall and will become a ing berserker or something.

Tommen is 7 years old,and he is a little good guy. A kid. He does nothing. Cersei rules. You see HBO series where Tommen is an actor of 16 years old and s margery and you get confused. That doenst happens in the books. In the books tommen is a little boy, like rickon in series.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Yes yes, dont misunderstand me. Wyman Manderly getting Rickon, saying: "We fight for the stark, the north remembers!!!" Everybody see rickong and pray loyalty to him and Wyman rally the north and everybody joints under rickon stark flag? OF COURSE.

What i say Swarbs, is that rickon CANT be the leader, the commander, the hero, of that army. Because some people thinks that this young kid will growth 10 years in 1 year, 1 meter tall and will become a ing berserker or something.

Tommen is 7 years old,and he is a little good guy. A kid. He does nothing. Cersei rules. You see HBO series where Tommen is an actor of 16 years old and s margery and you get confused. That doenst happens in the books. In the books tommen is a little boy, like rickon in series.
    We aren't discussing the books though, are we? If you hadn't noticed, it's the thread for the TV series, what may be true in the books doesn't have to be true here. The question isn't how old Rickon in the books is (he would be about 8), it's how old the show, which has a precedence in making it's characters older, makes him.

Its the same point. Rickon is a kid in the tv. A scaried poor little boy. Angry because his family lost him. An abandoned child. One year has passed... HBO could swap the actor and make Rickon 5-10 years older? Of course. But will be a punch in the face to the common sense and will be completly unreal. But... yes, is HBO they could do it xD.

How can Rickon lead Manderly army when he is at Last Hearth with umbers, and we're not sure manderlys will be in the show anyway, my guess is Bolton/Karstark vs Wildlings/Mormonts/Hornwoods and remaining of Stark loyalists.

The actor who played Rickon is now 14 years old, and was spotted with the actress playing Osha at a restaurant in Belfast in August:

http://watchersonthewall.com/are-the...g-in-season-6/

@Elbadruhel, no one has said Rickon will be a commander. He would be travelling with the Manderley army, or possibly Umber army as the figurehead, not the commander. Although given the tendency for HBO to cut large chunks out of the book plots, and age the characters to fit their desired plot, it's not beyond the realms of possibility for them to shoehorn Rickon in as a commander to avoid having to cast an Umber or Manderley.

Either way, given the pictures of Kit Harrington in Stark armour and the rumours around Rickon being back in next season, it would be foolish to discount the two of them playing an important role in the battle, and thus there being a battle between Bolton armies, possibly supported by the Freys and maybe even Lannisters, and multiple Stark loyalist armies, with Arryn under Littlefinger possibly playing a supporting role.

I can't express how happy i'd be if the umbers came back

Parafix's Avatar I have this stick...
    Blog Entries

Very happy about this

Quote Originally Posted by Parafix View Post
    Very happy about this
    Considering all the spoilers of S6 it looks like it's gonna be pretty good season

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage