Page 8 of 58 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative Clan Colours - update to HERO EDITION released! Noif's submod still available

Default Re: Alternative Clan Colours - version 16c out, including new banners

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    @Raphael - glad to hear that you got your idea for Tokugawa working for you. I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of how that came out on the battlefield.

I'm currently working on version 24d of ACC. Urakami is already finished and Otomo, Ouchi and Satomi nearly so. Four other clans are under development. And I have a nice surprise for you...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Yes, it seems like I've figured out how to change the mons on the banners. So now not only the Useugi could fly their proper clan banner on the battlefield (red mon on blue background), but also the rest of the clans, as long as the proper mons are included in the game.

But after this 24d version, I'm short on info about the historical appearance of the remaining clans regarding special characteristics. This concerns the following clans:

Anekagoji
    Asano*
    Ashina
    Bessho
    (Buddhist rebels)
    (Christian rebels)
    (European traders - why do they have the mon of the Asai clan on their flags?)
    Hatakeyama
    Hatano
    Honma
    Ikko-ikki
    Ito*
    Jinbo
    Kikkawa*
    Kiso
    (Kitabatake - this faction may have a connection to the Kato clan and I have some material for the latter)
    Kobayakawa*
    Kono
    Matsuda
    Murakami*
    Ogigayatsu
    Sagara
    Saito
    Satake*
    Shoni
    Sogo
    Takaoka
    Tsutsui*
    Ukita*
    Utsunomiya
    Yamana
    Yamanouchi*

So, guys, if you know something about them or where to acquire such data about them, I'd appreciate any help in the matter. Anything descriptive could do, whether a written statement in a book, a display of miniature figures, or a pic from an old painting etc. Otherwise I'll be forced to use my knowledge of how ashigarus, samurais or daimyos of certain other clans or in general looked in this period to arbitrary assign some of those designs to our remaining clans. This would not be totally wrong, however, given the fact that the principal difference between the armies here was the mon they carried on their banners. But it would be a bit unfortunate in cases where they were known to favour certain colours on their uniforms or banners. Clans for which I have some info in the types of banners they carried have been marked with an asterisk (*) on the list above, so we don't need to go looking for those.
    sry but HOLY HOW DID YOU DO THAT

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Master Necromancer View Post
    Sorry but couldn't find anything about uniforms, Japanese men in general didn't have special armor colors except for the feudal family members and those have been passed down in generations like swords and where more like family relics than items that where used because in Japan the tradition of ancestor worshiping was very popular.
    Yes, like I've been saying in this thread, as a rule, there were no uniforms in this time and place. The exceptions I know of so far are the Date clan and the Ii clan. But some clans seemed to have favoured certain colours, like brown armor with light blue shirts for the Tokugawa and an other scheme for the Oda, and I'd like know if there were more tendencies like this for the rest of our clans. Otherwise, I have to base the choice on something else.

But in gaming purposes and in trying to bring the game closer to history and make it full with more variety you should use the colors from the banners but only toned down and realistic IMHO.
    On the face of it that sounds a good idea, but the problem is that there weren't much variety in the colours of the flags. The most popular colour scheme seemed to have been black mon or sign on white background, followed by the reverse combination. Then came red, yellow or blue flags. Having most clans in black and white gear (carring white or black banners) doesn't make for an interesting game very long, so we need to go on something else. As it happens, there was far more variety in the armor and clothes of the warriors than on their banners. Artistically, I want the armor, clothes and banners of the army to look good and interesting as a whole. With the appearance of the banners only rather fixed, I think there's room for this from a historical point, too.

But just a side note for the Oda. In the 1500s the Oda clan warriors where exploding with colors from some reason. Often mixing such horrible colors as purple and yellow. Oda Nobunaga had basically (amongst others) a rainbow colored armor, but used black and purple most of the times. So if you make them that way they will be ugly but I would download because of the historical feel.
    As a matter of fact, I learned a couple of days ago about the Oda (ashigaru, I presume) being "typically" dressed in the "distinctive yellow lemon colour with black armor" but a variety in trousers, lacing, socks etc. Including purple lacing. So I've been working with this idea for them since...

And one more suggestion, could you consider teaming up with Ftmch on doing this mod. Your mod is closer to history but he has some MAD skills with retexturing and recoloring S2TW units. So you two would surely make a dream team that would make an ultimate alternative color mod!!!
    Well, to merge my minor clans as is with his major clans as is - if that was your thinking - you don't need artists like me or Ftmch, just some knowledge with PFM.

Quote Originally Posted by forcerecon569 View Post
    sry but HOLY HOW DID YOU DO THAT
    The mon swap thing? I found the game's library of mons. Made me put two and two together. Thanks to my hex editing. Very simple now. See what I mean?
    Last edited by Demokritos; May 08, 2011 at 05:48 AM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Yes, like I've been saying in this thread, as a rule, there were no uniforms in this time and place. The exceptions I know of so far are the Date clan and the Ii clan. But some clans seemed to have favoured certain colours, like brown armor with light blue shirts for the Tokugawa and an other scheme for the Oda, and I'd like know if there were more tendencies like this for the rest of our clans. Otherwise, I have to base the choice on something else.
    Well I hoe you will think of something, maybe with different mixes in the unit armor but same colors.

On the face of it that sounds a good idea, but the problem is that there weren't much variety in the colours of the flags. The most popular colour scheme seemed to have been black mon or sign on white background, followed by the reverse combination. Then came red, yellow or blue flags. Having most clans in black and white gear (carring white or black banners) doesn't make for an interesting game very long, so we need to go on something else. As it happens, there was far more variety in the armor and clothes of the warriors than on their banners. Artistically, I want the armor, clothes and banners of the army to look good and interesting as a whole. With the appearance of the banners only rather fixed, I think there's room for this from a historical point, too.
    I totally agree with this, and just to add if it is possible to edit Generals and their bodyguard separately from other units and give the more lush and beautiful armor as they wore.

As a matter of fact, I learned a couple of days ago about the Oda (ashigaru, I presume) being "typically" dressed in the "distinctive yellow lemon colour with black armor" but a variety in trousers, lacing, socks etc. Including purple lacing. So I've been working with this idea for them since...
    That sounds great!!! Can't wait.

Well, to merge my minor clans as is with his major clans as is - if that was your thinking - you don't need artists like me or Ftmch, just some knowledge with PFM.
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no... I thought on you two combining your skills in making this mod not merging. That way it would be 5x more awesome!!!

Thanks again for your mod! Are you able to make the banners on the campaign map match your new ones yet?

[...]
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no... I thought on you two combining your skills in making this mod not merging. That way it would be 5x more awesome!!!
    I don't think it's my place to approach Ftmch with this idea. All I can offer is recoloured uniforms and banners, and it's up to him to decide if some of that is worth making retextures for. But if there was a greater demand for a joint venture...

I'm going forward with my own project regardless, and I'll keep it public as long as I get the impression that some people like my alternative to vanilla or other mods of this sort.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlbc23 View Post
    Thanks again for your mod! Are you able to make the banners on the campaign map match your new ones yet?
    Thanks for your feedback, jason.

Most of my work is still subject to revision, so I haven't started looking into the question how to change the campaign banners yet. Here's an example of why...

Based on the revelant standards here...

...for Uesugi banners, what do you guys out there think of the following?

Don't forget to compare with their banner seen as one of the examples of new flags in the OP, the white sign on black background variant.
    Last edited by Demokritos; May 08, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

I love it

I like the new Uesugi. As for the demand of this mod please do continue and know that I am here every day searching for updates.

Your color work is the best in my opinion. I've looked at FTmich, and I'm just not feeling where he's going with it.

@lamefellow and MN, do you prefer the new banner for the Uesugi over the 16c mod with white character on black?

As a test trying to make the headcowl for the daimyo of the Uesugi to be light in colour and thereby closer to history at least as far as Uesugi Kenshin is concerned, based on the fact that the colour of the armor in this game determines the colour of that headcowl, I'm reversing the scheme seen on Danborg's plate. In other words, instead of dark armor with purple details and light grey clothing, I'm working on light-coloured armor with purple-ish details and black clothing. Silver-coloured armor may be the closest thing to historical truth we can get here, if the headcowl is to be reasonably light and the armor to look like armor still for the regular units. In any case, this new outfit will have a different mix with that new banner of theirs. If I find a satisfactory solution for this new uniform idea, I'll make it available as an optional to the old standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Roslolian View Post
    Your color work is the best in my opinion. I've looked at FTmich, and I'm just not feeling where he's going with it.
    Good to have at least one supporter for ACC.

I envy Ftmch's ability to apply the clan's mon on the chest or helmet of its soldiers, as seen on some of those screenies for his mod. But that's all I know of his work, and of any other unit-colour modder's work. No screenshot can do full justice to the in-game experience, but I've been intent on going my own way all along. I have a certain confidence in what I can do in this field. But we're talking mostly about taste here. You can be very advanced technically in this work and yet not cater to anyone's taste except your own. So it's only natural for people to prefer different mods.

Post #2 now contains some info about what new clans you can expect to see with the next update of ACC. This will be called 25d, nothing less, like I said earlier (I can't even count the number of mods I'm doing!). Two clans are already finished, and a third is just waiting for their banner to turn "right". Presentations of the new uniforms will be added as they are finished, so keep an eye on the developments in that thread.

But I need to attend to some real life tasks during the next couple of weeks, so be patient.
    Last edited by Demokritos; May 09, 2011 at 10:55 AM.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Is it possible get this mod to new patch?

The mon swap thing? I found the game's library of mons. Made me put two and two together. Thanks to my hex editing. Very simple now. See what I mean?
    me confused so go 2+2 on your hex andd it is good OK lol

Quote Originally Posted by Noif View Post
    Is it possible get this mod to new patch?
    You mean if this mod is still working with the latest patch which CA just released? Yes, it seems so. And I can report that the game looks better than ever before: there's less of a glare from bright banners now, and the all-whitening effect on armies from a distance also appears gone. But I must test this further in different light conditions.

But if you mean if I can make this mod based on the latest patch (patch5.pack) yet the answer is no. The current version of PFM doesn't work on the latest patch, so I can't extract the needed files for this mod to work on yet. But as soon as the PFM is updated I will issue a new version of this mod based on the latest patch for safety's sake.

me confused so go 2+2 on your hex andd it is good OK lol
    If you want me to disclose my most guarded secrets of trade, you have to make a secret deposit on my secret account in a secret bank in Switzerland for the secret amount of...oh, shoot, I've forgotten where that bank was, it's so secret that I never hear from it. Well then, if you belong to the club of the very needy, I guess I must disclose my secrets free of charge...
    Last edited by Demokritos; May 10, 2011 at 05:00 PM.

Raimeken's Avatar Senator

I prefer the white 'Bi' on the black banner.

It'd be really cool if you worked with FTmich and gave us a retexture with these colors. I'm fine with the sun thing as long as you give us two different versions: one with Bi, one with the sun

MJWilliams's Avatar Tiro

Thank you for all the time and effort you have put in to create much better looking clans. The original colours were way too bright and yours are a vast improvement. Much resepect!

You mean if this mod is still working with the latest patch which CA just released? Yes, it seems so. And better than ever before: there's less of a glare from bright banners now, and the all-whitening effect on armies from a distance also appears gone. But I must test this further in different light conditions.

But if you mean if I can make this mod based on the latest patch (patch5.pack) yet the answer is no. The current version of PFM doesn't work on the latest patch, so I can't extract the needed files for this mod to work on yet. But as soon as the PFM is updated I will issue a new version of this mod based on the latest patch for safety's sake.

If you want me to disclose my most guarded secrets of trade, you have to make a secret deposit on my secret account in a secret bank in Switzerland for the secret amount of...oh, shoot, I've forgotten where that bank was, it's so secret that I never hear from it. Well then, if you belong to the club of the very needy, I guess I must disclose my secrets free of charge...

tell me or i will find where u live and get it out of your brain lol

Quote Originally Posted by Raimeken View Post
    I prefer the white 'Bi' on the black banner.

It'd be really cool if you worked with FTmich and gave us a retexture with these colors. I'm fine with the sun thing as long as you give us two different versions: one with Bi, one with the sun
    Yes, I must admit that the white 'BI'-character on black appears to go a bit better with the current standard ACC edition of Uesugi uniforms from an artistic point of view. But the red sun on dark blue is more historically correct, so I haven't decided yet which one to make standard banner edition. Both will be available regardless.

Don't know if Ftmch would be interested in such a venture, but when I'm finished with the major clans (as in the sense that I don't feel a need to polish them further) I will make an attempt to apply some mons on their armor myself. But not before all the minor clans have been covered at least once by ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by MJWilliams View Post
    Thank you for all the time and effort you have put in to create much better looking clans. The original colours were way too bright and yours are a vast improvement. Much resepect!
    Thank you for making the trouble to post some feedback on it, Williams, I appreciate it.

BTW (not necessarily addressing you now, Williams), I've noticed that the first version of ACC (9a) still ticks away in the DL count. I wonder why that is. Not all people interested in ACC want the minor clans? They haven't noticed that there are several versions which different content? Before this project is completed, I reckon there will be at least half a dozen more releases of updates, each with its own set of banner changes. That means the number of attached files could become be quite confusing. So maybe I should start removing links to older ACCs? Or move those to post #3?

tell me or i will find where u live and get it out of your brain lol
    Darn! The defence of patented solutions has broken down, some of the younger staff in the patent office was seen fleeing the country when they rec(k)oned forcerecon to come in force. Oh well, I must return to serious business...

All mons featured in the game, eighty in total, is located in the variantmodels folder inside the models2.pack. The mons are identified by the names of their folders here. Those names are stated in the faction_banners file when viewing it with a hex code editor (right between the hex codes for the colours of the background and the ties) or as a packed table with PFM (in the second column called "Unknown"). So, to change a mon for a given faction, all you have to do is to use the PFM to edit the mon name in the faction_banners_tables. The sun mon, for example, is called "ashikaga" here, so if you write "ashikaga" in the mon-assigning place for the Uesugi, the latter gets that sun mon for clan symbol on their banners in the game. Very simple.
    Last edited by Demokritos; May 11, 2011 at 12:15 PM.

Brips's Avatar Ducenarius

A little more gloss/armor sun reflections is really needed, it's doesn't look like armor under the sun for now, I have the feeling of leather everywhere, not metal anymore. Or it's may be the cloudy sky... to check.
    Last edited by Brips; May 10, 2011 at 01:56 PM.
    All map textures improved mod(MTW2,DLV):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=395355
    Real crazy medieval music (4pages!):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=389092
    More war horn sounds(MTW2,DLV)!
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=229015
    More Loading screens MEGA pack Team!(MTW2,DLV):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=389893
    Mods Oblivion and Fallout3:
    Tape "Brips" on nexus then go to author name "Brips".

It's not my mod doing that, Brips, if you think so. It's the new patch that has reduced much of the former gloss everywhere (to more natural levels, IMO). So if you're using Ftmch's Less Glossy Units mod, maybe you should test the game without it.

Brips's Avatar Ducenarius

It's not my mod doing that, Brips, if you think so. It's the new patch that has reduced much of the former gloss everywhere (to more natural levels, IMO). So if you're using Ftmch's Less Glossy Units mod, maybe you should test the game without it.
    New patch doing it? ok will check
    I said that to you because I thought that you made less gloss too like unitvariety, may be is an addition of the two gloss
    All map textures improved mod(MTW2,DLV):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=395355
    Real crazy medieval music (4pages!):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=389092
    More war horn sounds(MTW2,DLV)!
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=229015
    More Loading screens MEGA pack Team!(MTW2,DLV):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=389893
    Mods Oblivion and Fallout3:
    Tape "Brips" on nexus then go to author name "Brips".

...for Uesugi banners, what do you guys out there think of the following?

I dont like the sashimonos with the circle, and the triple circle(sun) banner...., but the mon looks fine.

For curiosity, is any way to change Kenshin's face?
    Last edited by Miyamoto; May 10, 2011 at 09:23 PM.