Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative Clan Colours - update to HERO EDITION released! Noif's submod still available

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Alternative Clan Colours - 09a

Quote Originally Posted by 47th sAMuRAi View Post
    Holy SHITtakke mushrooms, LOVE the Chosokabe and Uesugi colouring ,I LOVE em' all, great work. I always wanted to play as the Uesugi but I always thought there purple attire was fugly. Theres something about color that attracts,I hope it ain't a "female" trait hahahaaha. Mahalo (thanks) for this and thanks for PM-ing me about this too,appreciate it!
    Glad you liked them, sAMuRAi, especially your verdict about the Chosokabe, with them being your favourite faction and all. If you want to stick to your own version of Chosokabe and use some of my other clans, however, you have to remind me about showing you how to implement such changes. Meanwhile, enjoy whatever mod you're using!

Quote Originally Posted by Akatora View Post
    You can ask Tomte of Doom if he's still around. He did a lot of great artwork for Ran no Jidai, unfortunately this was a long time ago so most of them are not up anymore. You can see some of it on this page. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...t=33719&page=3
    Thanks for this tip, Akatora. I think I'll send this guy a PM later.
    Last edited by Demokritos; April 20, 2011 at 03:53 AM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Capricornius's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Alternative Clan Colours - version 09a

One look at those screenies and I downloaded your mod in 2 seconds

As of right now everything looks great, night battles look better with these new colors.

Amazing job mate! Personal opinion. This looks better than Zane's mod
    When the enemy advances, withdraw; when he stops, harass; when he tires, strike; when he retreats, pursue. ~ Mao Zedong

Syntax's Avatar "Veni Vidi Vici"

Hello I haven't read all or I am not gone through all posts here - in general a very good work but isn't that already the version done by bar07 http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...58#post9337458

Quote Originally Posted by Capricornius View Post
    One look at those screenies and I downloaded your mod in 2 seconds

As of right now everything looks great, night battles look better with these new colors.

Amazing job mate! Personal opinion. This looks better than Zane's mod
    Thanks for those words, Capricornius. Haven't tested my mod in night battles, so I don't know if anything special is apparent there. Never tested Zane's mod, either. As a matter fact, I have not tested any other visual mod of this sort. I went for my own deal directly. What we prefer is just a matter of taste. I encourage the creation of more mods of this kind, so that we all may find a great one according to taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Syntax View Post
    Hello I haven't read all or I am not gone through all posts here - in general a very good work but isn't that already the version done by bar07 http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...58#post9337458
    Yes, bar07 and I base our visual work on the same concept, but as you can see, there's plenty of room for individual interpretation resulting in quite different variants. Hell, the slightest change in the hue or shade of a given colour can make or break the look of the unit.
    Last edited by Demokritos; April 16, 2011 at 02:12 PM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Great work

Will exchange it with Zane's for an ingame application, and need to test in the first place if it works with the Unit Variety Mod.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    Great work

Will exchange it with Zane's for an ingame application, and need to test in the first place if it works with the Unit Variety Mod.
    Works 100% with Unity variety mod but you need to delete the gloss files in unity variety mod

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    Great work

Happy to hear you like my variant, DaVinci.

Haven't tested it with THK's Unit Variety Mod because I prefer Ftmch's Less Glossy Units Mod (with which all screenshots seen here have been taken) and the word is those two don't get along together - which is a great pity.

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    Works 100% with Unity variety mod but you need to delete the gloss files in unity variety mod
    Are you saying that in order to use my ACC with the Unit Variety Mod you need to delete the gloss files in the latter mod first? As opposed to other mods like mine? That sounds weird. I have only edited the DB file called faction_uniform_colours. Must check that out...

Edit: Aah, maybe you mean that in order to get the units looking like my screenies when using UVM you need to delete those gloss files. That would certainly be true. I just tested the UVM with the result like seen here...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ...and while the units definitely look more interesting, I can't stand that gloss (which is far worse with the samurais) that take away too much of the sense of realism for me. I'm hoping Ftmch or The Hedge Knight is working on a solution for it. But if one deletes the gloss files in UVM, it amounts to the same thing as having LGU installed? Must check that out as well...
    Last edited by Demokritos; April 16, 2011 at 10:23 AM.

What a great mod Demokritos!

I just have a one lame question. I'd like to use alternative version for Shimazu (Shimazu-shi 2, Hex values: 000000, 3B5E2B, 848484). But how exactly do I do this? I open your pack file with PFM, look at db tables, but there are no rows or colums with vaules even similar to 3B5E2B, 848484... I've no idea about modding TW and ask for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoff View Post
    What a great mod Demokritos!

I just have a one lame question. I'd like to use alternative version for Shimazu (Shimazu-shi 2, Hex values: 000000, 3B5E2B, 848484). But how exactly do I do this? I open your pack file with PFM, look at db tables, but there are no rows or colums with vaules even similar to 3B5E2B, 848484... I've no idea about modding TW and ask for help.
    Glad to hear you like the mod, Kristoff.

Yes, the PFM is just for unpacking (i.e. extracting) packed CA files so that you can edit them with a different program and then use the PFM to pack those edited files into working files for the game again. To edit the file you're after you need a hex code editor. I'm using Hexplorer because I like the way it singles out the important data from the rest compared to other programs. You can download it from here: http://hexplorer.sourceforge.net. Now, to do the actual work there's quite a lot to go through in the beginning and there are already a couple of tutorials on the subject in the section for Tools,Tutorials And Resources in the Mod Workshop here at TWC. I suggest you take a look at those first, this thread being a good start: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=438812. Once you got the file edited the way you like, you need the PFM to create a mod with it. See this turorial for that: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=340047. If you get into trouble reading all that, come back here and I'll try to help sort things out.

EDIT: text in red is no longer completely true, as I have discovered. It's possible to edit the RGB values for the unit colours in PFM directly now! So I'll be posting the RGB-values for my mod as well as the hex values shortly. Very good news for those who feel hex editing is too much trouble!
    Last edited by Demokritos; April 17, 2011 at 05:02 PM.

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

Hi Demokritos, great looking screens. Going to try this a bit later. Just wanted to mention that you can edit the flag colors in the faction_banners table if you update your dbfiletypes for PFM manually. Put the following in dbfiletypes_0.txt

faction_banners Faction IDRef,String;
    B1,Int32;G1,Int32;R1,Int32;
    B2,Int32;G2,Int32;R2,Int32;
    Unknown,Boolean;
    Unknown,String;
    B3,Int32;G3,Int32;R3,Int32

For this table the values are reversed (bgr). First set is for mon, second is background and the third is for the square holder thingies up the side.

The caveat here is that the flag background color influences the color mask which is applied to units as you zoom out, so some flag and armour color combinations will look off at some LOD levels. We were discussing how to get rid of this effect here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=438902 . Not too much progress aside from observing the relationship.

hey first of all nice work but i dont like the chosabkbe and i wish the mori red was a LITTLE darker but it is good sry fort mis spell well i also have a question can you just release a optional version like another download for the optional stuff becuase i think alot of people have trouble hex editing but other than that great mod right now i am trying to find a way to get the black and green shimatzu colors.

Great.... humm... Excellent work !!!

You did a really good work here

btw how can we put the Date2 and the Shimazu 2 ? (I don't like the Uesugi 2)
    Last edited by Ralendil_2nd account; April 16, 2011 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu Paifuaa View Post
    Hi Demokritos, great looking screens. Going to try this a bit later. Just wanted to mention that you can edit the flag colors in the faction_banners table if you update your dbfiletypes for PFM manually. Put the following in dbfiletypes_0.txt

faction_banners Faction IDRef,String;
    B1,Int32;G1,Int32;R1,Int32;
    B2,Int32;G2,Int32;R2,Int32;
    Unknown,Boolean;
    Unknown,String;
    B3,Int32;G3,Int32;R3,Int32

For this table the values are reversed (bgr). First set is for mon, second is background and the third is for the square holder thingies up the side.

The caveat here is that the flag background color influences the color mask which is applied to units as you zoom out, so some flag and armour color combinations will look off at some LOD levels. We were discussing how to get rid of this effect here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=438902 . Not too much progress aside from observing the relationship.
    This is a great tip, thanks Kurisu Paifuaa!
    I had the impression that the colours in the faction_banners file were coded from a different system somehow, so I was planning to test writing values for blue there in order to get yellow on the field. The problem is that if you try using one of the colour codes already used in game for the banners of a different faction, it works - as expected - as seen here...
    ...with the colour for Kono's mon, I think, transferred to (an old and slightly different clothing version of) Chosokabe - but only sometimes. Other attempts using this method have failed, resulting in a different colour than the original showing up on the new banner. But I'll work with your new info and see if things can be changed that way. Whenever I get the time...

Quote Originally Posted by forcerecon569 View Post
    hey first of all nice work but i dont like the chosabkbe and i wish the mori red was a LITTLE darker but it is good sry fort mis spell well i also have a question can you just release a optional version like another download for the optional stuff becuase i think alot of people have trouble hex editing but other than that great mod right now i am trying to find a way to get the black and green shimatzu colors.
    Yes, releasing ONE other version with all the optional colours in working mod format is a good idea. I'll do that once the number of optionals has risen a bit, to include the Oda or half the playable clans, at least. But for those who cannot bother to do a little 'hexing', such an alternative may be problematic as well, as the choice of one package will rule out many if not all variants in the other package.

I'm not planning to release a different version for the Chosokabe, however, because I have no info about them looking different. If you want them to look different, find me some different data about them. Until then, I'm afraid you have to get into hex editing (reverting back to vanilla or something), my friend.

Regarding the Mori, in winter time, I agree, they look a little pale there. In the summer, they look better...

But I first had them in a slightly different and stronger colour, like this...

But in a different light, especially in winter time, that red looked a bit too strong and less interesting in combination with their flag, I thought. May still revert back to that one, however, because I am a bit uncertain about the current hue and shade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralendil_2nd account View Post
    Great.... humm... Excellent work !!!

You did a really good work here

btw how can we put the Date2 and the Shimazu 2 ? (I don't like the Uesugi 2)
    Check post #29 which gives references to instructions about that.

A finished version of Uesugi 2 is available in post #3 now. You may like that one better.

Meanwhile, the work on the Imagawa clan is coming along fine, looking promising...

Appearing more truly like a force to be reckoned with. Just some minor adjustments in hue or shade here and there left, I think. But their flag looks a bit off now. Danborg's version for flag colours is probably better and this change I can do already. Might release a complementary mod for banners later.

But white banners means an all-whitening effect for the appearance of the army from a distance until the community has managed to counter that thing somehow.

I will wait for the download of the versions 2...
    Cause I have never been confident with hex editors... I really prefer to edit "normal" text

(and I don't think I am the only one :p)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralendil_2nd account View Post
    I will wait for the download of the versions 2...
    Cause I have never been confident with hex editors... I really prefer to edit "normal" text

(and I don't think I am the only one :p)
    It's really not that difficult. A month ago, I didn't know one iota about it, either. I'm not a programmer or anything like that. It just takes some time concentrating on the instructions and then you'll be set free in this regard. I went through this learning process because I did not want to be stuck with CA's or other people's conceptions of how these units should look...

PS. If you think the instructions given on this site about changing the unit colours are a bit unclear, I might post my own step-by-step procedure about it in this thread when I get the time later.
    Last edited by Demokritos; April 17, 2011 at 08:25 AM.

Ralendil's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    It's really not that difficult. A month ago, I didn't know one iota about it, either. I'm not a programmer or anything like that. It just takes some time concentrating on the instructions and then you'll be set free in this regard. I went through this learning process because I did not want to be stuck with CA's or other people's conceptions of how these units should look...

PS. If you think the instructions given on this site about changing the unit colours are a bit unclear, I might post my own step-by-step procedure about it in this thread when I get the time later.
    yes I understand
    but I am currently trying to resolve a problem with new units and the problem caused for the hattori faction
    nearly resolved... but nearly is not completely :p
    Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god.
    Jean Rostand

Current Mod for S2TW: Sengoku Unit Cards

Wow Demokritos, I'm very surprised how very authentic looking these turned out with the colors you chose. Liking it very much, great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Akatora View Post
    Wow Demokritos, I'm very surprised how very authentic looking these turned out with the colors you chose. Liking it very much, great job.
    Thanks, Akatora, I'm glad to hear that. This has been my goal, to make it look believable without losing interest in each clan. It's been a lot of work finding the right hues that I feel go well together.

If you know that you have to work with brown for armor, blue for the details on it, and grey for clothing, for example, then you still have thousands of options in each category. Once you've settled on one of them, then the range of suitable combinations is drastically reduced. So if you change the first hue, then you may need to look for a different set of complementary colours. The difficulty in this is why I finished "Tokugawa 1" before "Tokugawa 2" even though I started off with the latter idea as "Tokugawa 1". The blue variants in details I found never seemed right for the hues in brown armor I dug up. Until only recently, after the release of an idea with the colours reversed, brown details on blue-ish armor.

But I learned how to do more precise adjustments as I went along with this project, so the first clans I "finished" don't have the same level of detailed match in my book. Chosokabe was one of the first clans I found a working combination of armor and details for, but the final clothing had to wait until I had improved upon my technique. The published version of the Oda is far from satisfactory, Date 2 also needs a tuning for realism, I think, and I want to work more on the clothing for the Mori and the details for Tokugawa 1, which may turn Tokugawa 2 in the next update.

Still, what I come up with is just a matter of taste. I did all this for my own good, but decided to publish the mod because some people may share my taste and enjoy the game more that way. Like I do.

EDIT: @Ralendil and others who're interested in the optionals - I have just discovered it's possible to edit the RGB values for the unit colours in PFM directly now! So I'll be posting the RGB values for my mod as well as the hex values shortly. Good news for those who feel hex editing is too much trouble!
    Last edited by Demokritos; April 18, 2011 at 03:35 AM.

Wow.

I'm going to be Honest, I wasn't thinking much of this mod. Mainly because at the time I was using the other Faction recolour mod.

But Dude this is awesome. You have got the colours looking fine!

I'm definatly Downloading + Rep!

Also Can I ask. Is there a way you can change the Faction banner? Like the Sashimonos on their backs are really really bright when comapred to their new nice armours.

Quote Originally Posted by Ii Naomasa View Post
    Wow.

I'm going to be Honest, I wasn't thinking much of this mod. Mainly because at the time I was using the other Faction recolour mod.

But Dude this is awesome. You have got the colours looking fine!

I'm definatly Downloading + Rep!

Also Can I ask. Is there a way you can change the Faction banner? Like the Sashimonos on their backs are really really bright when comapred to their new nice armours.
    I'm always glad to hear someone else having had use for my work.

Yes, the colours of the flags now look a bit off in some instances. As soon as I get the hang of how to apply the colours I want on them, I'll work on a few changes there. But I believe that the banners carried by armies in this time and place were often more brightly coloured than the uniforms of the armies. I also like seeing a different hue or shade on the banners than on the soldiers, as that makes the whole look more interesting. The most boring sight is an army of two-coloured soldiers with the same two colours on their banners.

My impression that the only uniform thing with some certainty in a given daimyo's army (not including the troops of his retainers) of the Sengoku period was the banners it carried, not the appearance of the armor which the soldiers wore, was just confirmed by TomteOFDoom, a man very knowledgable about these things. So we're pretty much free to have armors in some colours different from the colours of the banners. But to have some link to the historical appearance of a given army, some of the colours found on the banners according to Japanese heraldry ought often to be mirrored in some way in this game's uniforms of that army. So long as it satifies our need to have the clans look different from each other and all rather interesting in their own right. So getting the banners right should be top priority and then we go to the uniforms from there.

PS. It's a pity that we don't have the Ii clan represented in this game. Soldiers in red armor with golden details would have been nice to see. Do you have an idea how to get them represented in the game?
    Last edited by Demokritos; April 18, 2011 at 06:05 AM.